What's new

Coco and pH, what do you like yours set at?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
As alluded to, Mudguts was trying to correct a ph problem, lol. He wasn't saying 4.0 is his minimum! He had some crazy high PH and was trying that to bring the ph in line. Yikes.

*mistress*

Veteran
...in pursuit of accurate data... for gardeners...:tiphat:

1....... Work2much.......5.8
2........SOTF420..........5.8
3....... L-Immortal........5.7
4........ScrubNinja........5.6
5........chr0nicxs..........5.8
6........wiklund.............5.8
7.........boroboro..........5.8
8.........JamieShoes......5.8
9........*mistress*........5.0
10.......GrnMtnGrwr.......5.5
11.......dunkybones.......5.8
12.......Calimed.............6.0
13.......Kiwi Star...........5.8
14.......Bill Sussman.......5.7
15.......Guywithoutajeep.5.5
16.......simple green.......5.6
17.......Hazyfontazy.......5.8
18.......Whodi...............5.8
19.......Centrum............5.6
20.......PoopyTeaBags....5.4
21.......Gubbs02............5.8

methods:
lowest ph reported in post is sample.
samples added.
sample sum divided by number of entries.
solid state sci calc.

totals:
21 members*`**`***

average ph:

5.68 ph

*Mudguts - 4.0, excluded.

**w/ Mudguts 4.0 included (22 total): avg 5.60 ph

***w/ *mistress* 5.0 & Mudguts 4.0, excluded (19 total): avg 5.72 ph

Mudguts

Yep this was just a once off to try and bring down the high buffer of my shoddy untreated coco. Its impossible anyway and I ended up having to soak the coco, bringing down and stabilizing the ph with phosphoric acid(lots of it). Which worked and I now have coco with a core ph of 5.8

My normal preferred nutrient ph is 5.8.

The point is that coco has a reasonable buffer of it own, much more than the nutes themselves. When you think about that it dosnt matter so much if the nutes are 5.6 or 6 cause the coco will heavily buffer the nutrients towards its own ph.

Getting the core coco ph correct should be as important as the nutes themselves.

And the question should also be "What ph do you prep your coco too?"

MG

Mudguts

Trying too level this 60l of untreated coco down too 5.8 from its residual 6.8. Its been soaking for 78 hours now and slowly stabling out. Reckon I would of added 20-30 ml of phosphoric acid over the duration. Gotta watch that it dosn't start spoiling. It is starting to get that slightly tepid smell. Will flush and add nutes and biobugs (similar too canazyme) then use.

Attachments

• P4110018.jpg
    P4110018.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 23

ScrubNinja

Veteran
When you think about that it dosnt matter so much if the nutes are 5.6 or 6 cause the coco will heavily buffer the nutrients towards its own ph.

I hear what you're saying, and it sounds good on screen, but I know with my grows I fixed an ongoing P def just by lowering from 5.9 to 5.7. I thought it was old nutes or something but just that point 2 made all the difference in the world. I look at it as the ph is gonna rise in the medium anyway, so it was just too high to begin, whereas with the lower ph, it gets access to some more stuff before the ph rises. That could be wrong but all I know is 2 points fixed the shit out of my grows :yes:

Mudguts

I hear what you're saying, and it sounds good on screen, but I know with my grows I fixed an ongoing P def just by lowering from 5.9 to 5.7. I thought it was old nutes or something but just that point 2 made all the difference in the world. I look at it as the ph is gonna rise in the medium anyway, so it was just too high to begin, whereas with the lower ph, it gets access to some more stuff before the ph rises. That could be wrong but all I know is 2 points fixed the shit out of my grows :yes:

Thanks Ninja Glad it fixed you probs man. However for a situation where you are using untreated coco of which the core ph is 6.8 no small ph variation using nuted soft water will correct the situation in my recent testing haha . Nor will flushing the medium with copious amounts of ph'd soft water. I understand you use hard water which will have more buffer persuasion in the medium. I have not tested the buffer influence of hard water on core coco ph. I want too switch too creek water ASAP for is ph stability and solid buffer. Maybe there lies the answer?

For now I still stand by that statement in relation too using soft water(I should of clarified that to begin with). It has no buffer effect on its own though It does have a little with nutes. Not enough though if your core coco ph is too far out of wack to begin with.

Great topic and great forum :dance013:

MG

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Mudguts, I use rain water. Sometimes I add a small amount of low ec tap water. (usually measures zero but my ec meter is in .1 increments)

Mudguts

Mudguts, I use rain water. Sometimes I add a small amount of low ec tap water. (usually measures zero but my ec meter is in .1 increments)

Rightio did you measure your core coco ph? and what was it? and how did lowering your ph effect the ph of it?

Mudguts

Thing is... I'll say it again . I had iron lockouts due too untreated, well flushed coco with a core ph of 6.8-7 . OK I flushed the hell out of it. I added my nutes at 1.2 ec at a ph of 5.2 to start with then after retesting the core 48 hours later and seeing no change in the core ph I took the nutes down too 4.0 another 48 hour still little or no effect on core ph. Runnoff with nutes having going in at 4.0 cames straigh out at 6.5. THis to me is clear evidence of coco's own buffering power and the miniscule efect nuted soft water will have on the equation. I never came too realise this until I started using coco that was out of wack. Even through the recent problems I'm glad I did cause its forcing me too reevaluate coco as a medium

Can anyone explain why some coco has such a high ph?.

lol gets the mind working. I should have a smoke .

Cheers

Xanode

Thing is... I'll say it again . I had iron lockouts due too untreated, well flushed coco with a core ph of 6.8-7 . OK I flushed the hell out of it. I added my nutes at 1.2 ec at a ph of 5.2 to start with then after retesting the core 48 hours later and seeing no change in the core ph I took the nutes down too 4.0 another 48 hour still little or no effect on core ph. Runnoff with nutes having going in at 4.0 cames straigh out at 6.5. THis to me is clear evidence of coco's own buffering power and the miniscule efect nuted soft water will have on the equation. I never came too realise this until I started using coco that was out of wack. Even through the recent problems I'm glad I did cause its forcing me too reevaluate coco as a medium

Can anyone explain why some coco has such a high ph?.

lol gets the mind working. I should have a smoke .

Cheers
I've read somewhere think it's on cannas website, that the major difference between cheap and quality coco is that the expencive stuff has been aged correctly, aswell as flushed and buffered. If you take a bag of canna and compare it to elcheapo brick coco the quality stuff is almost always darker the cheap will be light brown, I've even seen a brick or to have a tint of green to it.

Latest posts

Latest posts