What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COCO and BLUMATS FTW!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i woke up with the worst hershey squirts EVER...............anyways lol here are the ladies just finished 3rd week i think. 4/20 was say 1 of 12/12

Attachments

• P5100567.JPG
    P5100567.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 30

Desert Hydro

Veteran
my love for blumats and coco grows every day lol. im only feeding half of what i would in active hydro and my plants are perfect. my ppm's are at 850. im not even adding cal mag anymore. i start my ph on the low side and every time i top off the res(which is about 5gal every 2 days) i merely bump up the ph a couple points until i get to about 6 ish then start over at 5.4ish again with the next fill up. i get a wide but safe and controlled swing in ph which allows for optimum uptake for most nutrients. seems to be working great so far. ive learned so much from this site in the many years and screen names ive gone through. :)

i wanna order the 50 pack of blumats and all the barbs from kent systems and GO HARD next run lol.

oh and the herijuana is gonna be a fast bitch! shes developing so quick, i think she will be done in seven weeks. the yield wont be shit but it will be crippling in effect lol. she will make a great candidate for SOG. her side branching is so rediculous that even the low branches are dead even with the top and there is almost no vegetation in between the tops and bottom. you could pack a rediculous amount of full size ones in a tent and since there is NO undergrowth and only tiny leaves ALL of the tops would get even light. where im struggling to fit 9 plants i could probably fit 15 herijuanas and since they are so open structured it would be fine

I think I'm joining the Blumat team here.
I'm working on an order, so far I have the blumats, a roll of the 8mm tubing, the thru-hull hose fittings for the resevoirs, but I'm not sure if I also need to order the drip lines as well. Do the blumat valves come with a foot or 2 of drip line each? Any help would be appreciated.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
they come with plenty of 8mm tubing unless u are running a shit ton of drippers real far apart. wat u probably should get is extra 3mm drip tubing. the piece they come with is only like 6 or 8 inches and hard to work with but it can be done. its expensive but i have had enough to set up 2 different tents and still have leftovers. i give them like a 2 foot line so i can move them around if need be.

heres a pic of a small veg setup with the stock dripper line. as you can see they are pretty short and annoying to work with

Attachments

• IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 35
I'm planning on getting 2 of the 50 packs, going in a room with each side having 50 pots, 4 feet by 12 feet on each side.

I figure I could use one central hose for each 4x12 with the drip lines no further than 2 feet from the main line.

I only found drip line sold in 3 meter lengths for $8.95. That's going to be an expensive bit of drip lines it looks like.

Any suggestions?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i got a huge roll for like 45 bucks. either from sustainable village or planetearthhydro. planet earths site isnt working atm but it should be soon i guess lol......well fuck, i just checked both sites and both are jacked up. hopefully they will come back soon.

Ahh, Thanks I just found the large roll of drip tubing. Placing my order today.

I'm looking forward to dialing this system in. If it works well, it will make my life a lot easier.

Growing in coco, I grow giant plants in very small amounts of coco, and with these blumats, it should keep my small pots perfectly moist, and hopefully increase my yields. I suspect it will.

nycjb

Some of my blumats are needing adjustment almost every day...anyone know why? Its only with 2 of them..I wait till i see some water come out the bottom of them pot then turn the dial back till it stops dripping and it will be good until the next day

Desert Hydro

Veteran
are they under or over watering? ive had a few ive had to tamper with once in a while but it all stems from me letting the res run low or dry. its easy to get uber lazy with blumats cuz they run themselves. all you have to do is keep up with the rez fill ups.

check and make sure the cone itself has water. check the brown line for clogs. i remove the sensor and pinch the line pretty hard from the tee and drag my fingers up the line and this will clear most clogs. if the pots ever dry out for some reason it is best to hand water to full saturation, wait 24 hours and then set the sensor to a clinging droplet.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
hey puff adder, i dont know how much you know about setting up the blumats but here's a tip. hand water the shit out of all your plants the first day and install the drippers but dont turn them to drip yet. keep them closed. wait about 24 hours so the pots are still wet but not soggy then adjust to a clinging droplet. it should only drop like every 10-15 seconds or so. you dont want a fast drip. ALSO, keep a saucer under each pot if possible. that way it is easy to track down if certain ones are over watering. if they arent on a saucer the water will spread out and you wont be able to tell where its coming from. and if you really fudge it up you will bleed the whole res dry lol.

these may take a few days of fine tuning but the learning curve is short and in a few days you will be living the easy life with the rest of us :)

Blumats are workin'!

Blumats are workin'!

I got 1 patio kit rockin' and I've almost got the individual drippers tweaked out to perfection in 3 days time. I am liking these things very, very much....damn they use so much less water than by hand. Now to set up my veg area on blumats and I will be goin' to the beach for a week!

stagehand

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Some of my blumats are needing adjustment almost every day...anyone know why? Its only with 2 of them..I wait till i see some water come out the bottom of them pot then turn the dial back till it stops dripping and it will be good until the next day

Desert Hydro's response was spot on.

If your medium is soaked (run-off watering by hand) and your dialing down to a cling the 3mm hose will start to drip as the pot dries out. It might appear that your medium is drying out too much but that's just the top layer. If the blumat is not dripping your pot still has moisture or your blumat is empty/clogged line.

Also make sure there are no cracks in your cone lid. I've had one with a small crack and it was causing some issues.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
my plants look amazing! they are about to finish their 4th week and things are going smoothly. my biggest lady is almost 6 foot tall lol. she is a monster. the main cola is over a foot long and the stretch has finally stopped just in time.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i would like very much to start my new seeds but im a bit short on room lol. i need to figure something out pretty quick here. ive got a real big metal storage rack that im thinking about just wrapping in reflectix and voila, a multi stage veg cabinet lol. i just need everything to be light proof because its in the same room as my tent and i have to keep my flower tent door open to keep heat in check. i need some ideas...... i would just buy a tent but since ive been spending a lot of money on my car lately i would like to keep spending to a minimum to keep she who must not be named happy haha

smoooth

Great thread desert has given me the urge to use blumats in one of my up coming grows to make things much simpler.
How have you been liking the maxibloom?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
seems to be working pretty good so far. growth is dark green and healthy........im super fucking distracted right now. i cant think! i made an extremely spicy dinner with serranos and ghost chilis and i just took a piss and my junk is ON FIRE! no good lol i should have washed my fucking hands :(