What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs LED vs HPS

snakedope

I can get why COBs are better then traditional flat panel layout diodes, they mimick HIDs 😅

Damn... Goatcheese I think your onto something here
Maybe intensity can't be added by same intensity sources as far as humans, but when you direct multiple sources at one spot like COBs do, maybe that will explain the difference in quality, as you are creating sufficient amount of light in 1 place for the plant to complete it's procceses fully.
Interesting... With better spectrum I can see it doing better somewhat

The thing is I don't believe this lab test cuz I smoked so much weed that's been in lab tests and got over 25% thc but was trash
Maybe it was hps maybe led but at the end what I'm saying is they shouldn't be trusted

If you smoked it and it was killer ok but going just on lab tests alone... Very hard thing for me to do

greencalyx

Premium user
If it got tested at the same lab, I don't see the problem. I assume the lab uses identical testing conditions for all their samples. The results would at least be precise if not accurate. Still good for comparison.

Now if each sample was sent to a different lab, that would truly be comparing apples to oranges

That's like saying the video of the moon landing prove its real haha
Lab test don't prove anything, smoke it.
You still have not provided any proof yourself, you talk a good game, but you don't offer anything unless it is criticism. Most real growers on here have pictures to back themselves up. You seem to want to judge others yet, when it comes to you, you back down.

snakedope

I'm not backing down, and I never said I grow excellent weed, you said it and I ignore you cuz you just make shit up to discredit me but I ain't shook man I don't care
I'm presenting a situation a lot of us encountered the past few years, no matter in our grows or other people grows
So the discussion is about what is better, and everyone is welcome to share their opinion, but to go about claiming certain stuff about authors and posting memes as a response is not gonna be worth commenting
Address the subject and the context of the post/message, stop caring about my life and if I believe the earth is flat (like it fucking matters) anything but creating discredit and not so good one
As linde said, move along chump

I'm not backing down, and I never said I grow excellent weed, you said it and I ignore you cuz you just make shit up to discredit me but I ain't shook man I don't care
I'm presenting a situation a lot of us encountered the past few years, no matter in our grows or other people grows
So the discussion is about what is better, and everyone is welcome to share their opinion, but to go about claiming certain stuff about authors and posting memes as a response is not gonna be worth commenting
Address the subject and the context of the post/message, stop caring about my life and if I believe the earth is flat (like it fucking matters) anything but creating discredit and not so good one
As linde said, move along chump
Hit a nerve, your easy.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
In that test, did they pick all top nugs? Or did they put led top nugs up against lower branch nugs from the hps? There will be a difference in quality on the same plant..

snakedope

In that test, did they pick all top nugs? Or did they put led top nugs up against lower branch nugs from the hps? There will be a difference in quality on the same plant..
I can see the COBs bud getting more quality, it's possible kinda
The threshold for intensity to make great meds is not that high to begin with (I think 2500 lm per sec per source is the minimum) cfl growers will clearly vouch for that ;)
So take that with improved spectrum that good LEDs have like the Cree, which are probably the best diodes out there, and it's plausible.

igrowone

Veteran
I don't wish to join this battle, but I have tried them all, and all things considered, I like CFL's the best. My plants like them best too. That's it!
another cfl grower and was reluctant to join in on a hps/led debate
but you gave me an in, and agree cfls can grow some sweet bud
I just did a cfl grow, then a reveg with cheap daylight led sils from walmart
got 4x the weight of the cfl grow at half the watts
and quality was dead on with the cfl grow
but got more of the tight sweet bud with leds

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Cfls we're nice, they did the job, I use to get QPs out of a little box an like 300w of cfl. But that first grow under a 600w hps changed everything an there was no looking back.

Lao Tzu

Still no one can address the elephant in the room. The need to keep rooms much warmer than normal during flower development as well as the increase in calcium absorption happening at the expense of other compounds.

This seems to be a legitimate issue, not with weight or thc tests (which means little as we all know), but in quality of smokable flower. It's subtle, but it's there if you are trying to max out quality, versus pushing peak yields.

The genetics that thrive in this environment, plants like gmo, are missing nuances in quality that say it's parent Chem D has in spades. Gmo is far less complex, but it grows much nicer under the system. I'm wondering if the environment is leading to less expressive/difficult varieties to be chosen with legalization.

Certainly seems that way with everything containing Cookies, an adaptable, easier to grow OG kush type, without the quality to match.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Cfls we're nice, they did the job, I use to get QPs out of a little box an like 300w of cfl. But that first grow under a 600w hps changed everything an there was no looking back.
Yeah, but I could not keep the temps down when I used HPS. Plus, I figured if my HPS bullb suddenly went dead, I'd be out of business until I got a replacement. But with CFL's, if one goes out, you can keep on chugging with the rest.
Also, I couldn't stand to be in the grow room with that HPS light on. I felt stupid wearing dark sunglasses to go into the closet and water my plants, lol. So I guess it was a fashion choice really.

Brother Nature

In this game there's dope growers and horticulturists. One grows by what they know the other grows by what they learn. Pretty clear in these threads whose who.

I race and build drag bikes for a hobby and I look at it like this. I used to hate fuel injection, carbs were way more understandable, I got better times tuning a carb bike than I ever did on a newer fuel injected bike. But I spent the time to learn the modern way and now I get how fuel injection works, I also have a mate with a dyno, and now my times are substantially better than when running carbed bikes. Second place always complains about first, but first place doesn't think about who got second...

The Harley guy at the bar after the races will always complain about how it used to be better, I'll buy the guy a beer with my winnings and let him complain, moistly cause I know I'm also going to win that next race.

The proof is in the pudding as Bill Cosby says...

Doesn't seem to be a lot of pudding in this thread though....

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hit a nerve, your easy.
The problem with this fool is in the same day he will post things like they are factual. Like “95% of all market product is garbage” etc. Yet, anyone with actual concrete information in the form of data gets immediately discredited by them per their “smoke test” lol. Only a “smoke test” matters. Its like they think we all assume their opinion matters more than data. Doesnt care about photos. Doesnt care about science. Doesnt care about anything besides their outdated and under-researched opinion. Also offers nothing themselves besides bullshit. Icmag used to be a wealth of information for me. Ive been here since 2013. I was hoping to take my career experience and share it here. Some people make it seem worthless.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LEDs kill plants slowly when they are too close, it's not the amount of light or intensity it's just unhealthy light up close to any living tissue, plants, humans etc
On the other hand, I put my 600w hps in the veg tent now maybe 8 inch from the tops (3 weeks old plants) cuz it's so cold outside, I see no light burn or stress
Maybe some LEDs can be closer if the seperted diodes are lower voltage or different spectrums I've yet to research this further

This is too true in my country as well, it's global, they are banning those lights, they want to control everything we do their own way, no more medicine, only plastic led flowers, you better stock up on ballasts and bulbs, I know I have.

Excellent question, yellow canary is speaking on this subject a lot, worth a reading.
I've always related it to low intensity of LEDs but it can be other factors that are within the plant itself that happen under them, still a lot to research

Something is driving the quality down, my bet is that it's not the same clones people are using or this kind of fert or the other, we are starting to run out of options 😏
Youve gotta be joking. Unhealthy light? Plastic Led flowers? What are you even saying? Bro, tell us youre making shit up without actually saying so. Jesus man, you are NEXT level with your bullshit lies. Leds kill plants when they are too close? Um, guy, ALL lights of high intensity can degrade production if set too close. Do you know minimum vs maximum ppfd for healthy growth? How about the minimum co2 requirements above a certain ppfd? Do you understand how photons work at all? This is elementary information for someone who bestows knowledge at the frequency you do.

Latest posts

Latest posts