What's new

CMH vs LED vs HPS

JKD

Veteran
Grass fed beef sucks. Limited movement and over feeding with grain produces the highest grade steaks. Just look up Kobe beef.

Just like training and feeding cannabis a certain way produces bigger tighter flowers with more oils.
Compare Kobe beef with feedlot beef rather than with grass fed.

It’s the specific breed & the care that goes into farming them that is the greater difference than just grain and limited movement.

Like comparing a personal haze grow with a commercial hemp grow - the methods may be similar, but the outcomes are not.

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

I live in the Midwest and grew up on a farm. If you take the same cattle, split the herd, free range grass feed one half, and grain the others in a stall, the grain fed will 100% of the time grade higher.

Grain produces larger cattle with higher quality beef, no way around it.

People that like deer meat usually like grass fed beef. It has a lot of the same texture and flavor. No marbling to speak of. Grass just isn’t energy dense enough for a cow to eat enough of to get fat.

JKD

Veteran
I live in the Midwest and grew up on a farm. If you take the same cattle, split the herd, free range grass feed one half, and grain the others in a stall, the grain fed will 100% of the time grade higher.

Grain produces larger cattle with higher quality beef, no way around it.

People that like deer meat usually like grass fed beef. It has a lot of the same texture and flavor. No marbling to speak of. Grass just isn’t energy dense enough for a cow to eat enough of to get fat.
Grew up on a farm also.
Grass fed marbling: https://angusnz.com/ = genetics + good farming.
Looks good, tastes good.
I don’t like venison, some species less than others.

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

Grew up on a farm also.
Grass fed marbling: https://angusnz.com/ = genetics + good farming.
Looks good, tastes good.
I don’t like venison, some species less than others.
Of course genetics is a huge part. But split up some calves from the same prized bull Sperm, grain half and open pasture half and the difference is still there.

I’ve had beef so marbled it looked like a slab of milk.

JKD

Veteran
I agree there is a difference between grain & pasture. I don’t think that Kobe beef is an apt comparison with grass fed. McDonald’s burger beef is grain raised also. I still think it’s like comparing haze & hemp - the feed makes a difference, but it’s mostly the genetics.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CMH FTW IN VEG.. Current temps 86F, perfect. IMO genetics are more important than any light. Good growers can crush under any light. LED has a longer learning curve, at least for me..I haven't been able to do this with LED.
DSCN6140.JPG

Jaysways

My family rear cattle in the uk that are organically grass fed.

The Beef is sublime. I agree, not huge marbling, but enough to provide the most tender and delicious of meats.

It beats everything else commercially available in the UK which i presume is grain/antibiotic fed
That’s very nice to hear!

Jaysways

Grass fed beef sucks. Limited movement and over feeding with grain produces the highest grade steaks. Just look up Kobe beef.

Just like training and feeding cannabis a certain way produces bigger tighter flowers with more oils.
Grain fed with limited movement and also antibiotics and hormones may create a higher quality beef on the surface but I HIGHLY DOUBT it is healthy for your body on a molecular level.

Same could be said with hydro grown cannabis to organic. I was referring to health, not highest grade beef because a beef farmer said it’s the highest grade.

snakedope

Yes the limited movement beef is the highest grade, but taste wise nothing beats a free range meat 😉
It will have less marbeling but taste is more strong.

I always said it, a superior product does not need a learning curve, it will produce results better and with more ease every time, but in reality it doesn't so it's not a superior, just meant for other things.
I'm so tired of hearing this same over and over again, LEDs don't need learning curve, they just need you to use them for what they are made for, vegging greens 😄

Jaysways

Yes the limited movement beef is the highest grade, but taste wise nothing beats a free range meat 😉
It will have less marbeling but taste is more strong.

I always said it, a superior product does not need a learning curve, it will produce results better and with more ease every time, but in reality it doesn't so it's not a superior, just meant for other things.
I'm so tired of hearing this same over and over again, LEDs don't need learning curve, they just need you to use them for what they are made for, vegging greens 😄
If LEDs had a full spectrum, would you feel differently? Because that’s all there missing atm.

Even plasma LEP aren’t that good for growing, you need to grow with an hps at the current technology. But the difference between then is LEDs do not product a full spectrum like plasma and hps and cmh

Jaysways

If LEDs had a full spectrum, would you feel differently? Because that’s all there missing atm.

Even plasma LEP aren’t that good for growing, you need to grow with an hps at the current technology. But the difference between then is LEDs do not product a full spectrum like plasma and hps and cmh
If plasma is all the new rage why is no one growing with it?

Like if I have to spend 1200 pounds on a plasma light just to have to go and buy a 600 watt hps for them to be adequate.

Hopefully LEP takes off because it’s crazy bright. And if LEDs could produce a full spectrum then surely they would be the best.

Or am I getting all this wrong ?

goingrey

If plasma is all the new rage why is no one growing with it?

Like if I have to spend 1200 pounds on a plasma light just to have to go and buy a 600 watt hps for them to be adequate.

Hopefully LEP takes off because it’s crazy bright. And if LEDs could produce a full spectrum then surely they would be the best.

Or am I getting all this wrong ?
Plasma is not exactly "all the new rage". There is one lamp on the market that came out 6 years ago (Gavita 270e).

The benefit of plasma light is its similarity to sunlight. Not just the full spectrum but also that it does not flicker, not even at a very high frequency.

The downside is that both the initial investment and the power usage are higher than with LED. It is really something for enthusiasts or scientists who want to simulate sunlight. This is why no one is using it, though seems like it has gained some popularity with aquarists.

LED grow light efficiency is to an extent based on targeting the McCree curve, even if blurples have gone out of fashion, so I doubt that sunlight simulating LED fixtures will ever become the most popular lights for growers. But some companies do already make them for scientific use. Their websites don't mention prices, have to request a quote, probably they are even more expensive than LEP, but not as good.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gents,
This thread has all the potential to turn into a "mine's bigger than yours" and it already is in some of the comments.
This was the OP's (Gerardbutler....)question:
"I wanted to get input on the results you guys are getting with these in the finished product. I've had great results in the past with HPS supplemented with additional UVB from a zoologist mega ray bulb. I'm wondering if the CMH provides enough UVB on it's own if used in bloom?"

As per to what the thread has somewhat evolved, I'm an LED aficionado who used to grow under HID lamps and after many runs under LEDs now says that he likes the results under LED better.
I don't need to be schooled by someone who says he knows that his way is the only truth, although I'm very open to new, interesting findings that help me get better.
And I'm not even sure if my lights have any UV diodes at all. I too would be interested if I can/should supplement some UV radiation?

CC

goingrey

And I'm not even sure if my lights have any UV diodes at all. I too would be interested if I can/should supplement some UV radiation?
Shouldn't be very hard to spot them if there are some. Little purple diodes somewhere in there.

The (fluorescent) MIGRO UVB 310 is an interesting supplemental light. Good coverage and UVB (not just UVA like many others). Interestingly he only recommends using it for 2 hours a day during the last 3 weeks of flowering.

Latest posts

Latest posts