What's new

CLONING PROBLEMS! :(

P

Plant n Prosper

Maybe any cloning experts can help me out with this problem I'm having... I used to have 80% success rates and now I'm having 0%!

What am I doing wrong?!

Some info on my method -

-I'm using rockwool and pre-soak the cubes in tap water (because I heard the chlorine helps root rot) mixed with RO water 1:1 and pH it to about 6.0

-I then add 1 drop of superthrive per gal, with a teaspoon of BioRoot and a teaspoon of BioWeed (seaweed)

-I take my cutting, gently shave off the bottom 1/2 inch of the stem to promote root growth, then quickly take my 45 degree snip and then dip it into cloning gel. In the cube it goes...

-I keep a humidity dome over the clones and mist the dome and the cuttings twice a day

-I don't keep the rockwool too wet just damp, I even sit them up on top of perlite to drain sufficiently

This is what happens after a week in the dome:

Here's what the set up looks like:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

I just took a new round of cuttings and I'm scared they won't root out again!

Here's a few quick observations. Some or all of them should help resolve your problem.

a. They look small. I like my clones to be approximately 7"
b. They look too wet. I water my clones every 2-3 days. Allowing the RW to slightly dry will help promote root growth in search of more water.
c. I would also trim 33% of the upper leaves to decrease the respiration which leads to water loss.
d. Try to keep them a little warmer... They seem to root better when keep between 75-80.

P

Plant n Prosper

Here's a few quick observations. Some or all of them should help resolve your problem.

a. They look small. I like my clones to be approximately 7"
b. They look too wet. I water my clones every 2-3 days. Allowing the RW to slightly dry will help promote root growth in search of more water.
c. I would also trim 33% of the upper leaves to decrease the respiration which leads to water loss.
d. Try to keep them a little warmer... They seem to root better when keep between 75-80.

thanks for the response LA, they aren't the biggest clones though youre right. I clip under the 3rd node from the top.

They aren't too wet though, the rockwool is just wet enough; I squeeze the excess water out of it

They could use a trim though I suppose, yet the ones I have trimmed aren't rooting either. The temps are in the upper 60's in my room but a heating pad is underneath the trey so they're kept at around 75-80 like you say.

This is so frustrating! I'm trying to prep for outdoors but I can't when all my cuttings are dying lol

Have a feeling it has to do with my pre-soak solution or something...

W

willyweed

i do not use any feed until after i have seen some roots and as said above cut the leaves back ,i take up to 2/3 of the leaf off,and am sure it helps.also i use the 1inch cubes to start as its easier to see the roots coming out and easier for me to control, handle, keep warm and moist. one other thing i make my final cut on the clone in a saucer of water as to keep the ends moist also.good luck.willyweed

all looks good not sure y ya having problems...only thing i do different for 99% sucess rate than you is shake the excess water out of the cubes instead of "squeezing" as i heard this can make it harder for the roots to push though..

Thoes clones look good and healthy id be very sup[rised if they didnt make it..

Good luck mate :)

I've always had problems with short clones. I don't think there's enough stored energy in the short cuts to survive.

It also could be the plant. I've had some that just won't root.

This is one of my deciding factors when choosing which MOM to keep. No reason to keep a MOM around that's hard to root...

P

Plant n Prosper

i do not use any feed until after i have seen some roots and as said above cut the leaves back ,i take up to 2/3 of the leaf off,and am sure it helps.also i use the 1inch cubes to start as its easier to see the roots coming out and easier for me to control, handle, keep warm and moist. one other thing i make my final cut on the clone in a saucer of water as to keep the ends moist also.good luck.willyweed

hmmm maybe that's what I'm doing wrong then... my PPM's aren't over 150 but that might not even matter. I like the 1'' cube idea though, I'll be grabbing a slab of those next trip to the hydro store I think. Thanks for the advice homie

all looks good not sure y ya having problems...only thing i do different for 99% sucess rate than you is shake the excess water out of the cubes instead of "squeezing" as i heard this can make it harder for the roots to push though..

Thoes clones look good and healthy id be very sup[rised if they didnt make it..

Good luck mate :)

I heard the shaking technique too actually, but after I soak em the cubes feel way to heavy with water for me to just shake the excess off. Do you keep your cubes heavy like that still?

I've always had problems with short clones. I don't think there's enough stored energy in the short cuts to survive.

It also could be the plant. I've had some that just won't root.

This is one of my deciding factors when choosing which MOM to keep. No reason to keep a MOM around that's hard to root...

You could be right LA. All of these were taken from normal vegging plants (fems) that I'm trying to multiply to throw outside this season... none being more than 2' in height really. I don't take any side branch cuttings though, just main branches but they could just be not mature enough? Not sure to be honest.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Maybe any cloning experts can help me out with this problem I'm having... I used to have 80% success rates and now I'm having 0%!

What am I doing wrong?!

Some info on my method -

-I'm using rockwool and pre-soak the cubes in tap water (because I heard the chlorine helps root rot) mixed with RO water 1:1 and pH it to about 6.0

-I then add 1 drop of superthrive per gal, with a teaspoon of BioRoot and a teaspoon of BioWeed (seaweed)

-I take my cutting, gently shave off the bottom 1/2 inch of the stem to promote root growth, then quickly take my 45 degree snip and then dip it into cloning gel. In the cube it goes...

-I keep a humidity dome over the clones and mist the dome and the cuttings twice a day

-I don't keep the rockwool too wet just damp, I even sit them up on top of perlite to drain sufficiently

This is what happens after a week in the dome:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44500&pictureid=1068021&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Here's what the set up looks like:[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44500&pictureid=1068018&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44500&pictureid=1068019&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

I just took a new round of cuttings and I'm scared they won't root out again!

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44500&pictureid=1068020&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Am I the only one who noticed the perlite under the drip tray?

P

Plant n Prosper

Am I the only one who noticed the perlite under the drip tray?

yeah I use that so the cubes arent sitting in drain water, I think I mentioned above that theyre sittin in perlite. Could be wrong tho.

Any advice Canni?

I heard the shaking technique too actually, but after I soak em the cubes feel way to heavy with water for me to just shake the excess off. Do you keep your cubes heavy like that still?

I found after half an hour of soaking em before i place the cut into the cube that 5-6 real good shakes gets alot of water out and there pretty light again:)

petemoss

As others have noted, try to keep the cubes a bit drier. Misting twice per day is too often IMO. I try not to touch clones for the first 3-4 days to let them dry out until the cubes feel just slightly heavy. Then try to maintain that optimal air to water ratio by misting the cube (not the leaves- the water droplets are very heavy) as needed.

When you scarify the stems, don't scrape away all of the outer "bark".
Remove just a couple of thin strips but leave 90% of the outer skin intact. That should help to keep the end of the stem from drying out.

Try a different rooting hormone, a powder instead of a gel. Home Depot carries a very good rooting powder that is cheap and effective.
Gels need to be refridgerated and can go bad quickly. Good luck!

P

Plant n Prosper

As others have noted, try to keep the cubes a bit drier. Misting twice per day is too often IMO. I try not to touch clones for the first 3-4 days to let them dry out until the cubes feel just slightly heavy. Then try to maintain that optimal air to water ratio by misting the cube (not the leaves- the water droplets are very heavy) as needed.

When you scarify the stems, don't scrape away all of the outer "bark".
Remove just a couple of thin strips but leave 90% of the outer skin intact. That should help to keep the end of the stem from drying out.

Try a different rooting hormone, a powder instead of a gel. Home Depot carries a very good rooting powder that is cheap and effective.
Gels need to be refridgerated and can go bad quickly. Good luck!

Many good points made here pete.

I don't mist the cubes themselves though, just the leaves. I read somewhere that you should mist 3 times a day so I cut it down to 2.

I do accidentally scrape more than 10% of the bark at times I have to admit, maybe this has something to do with my success rates being so low too

I'll be taking my next batch with the rooting powder you speak of, I haven't rooted one clone with this Roottech stuff and used Clonex a few years back with near 90% success rates. Don't know what happened! My gardening ego is at an all time low :(

Hopefully things will change with all the given advice above though, thanks for stopping by man

St3ve

You are killing them with love IMO.

Just use straight tap pH'd to 5.5-5.7
Just make one cut on a diagonal, no need to scrap. (whenever I used to scrap I don't notice roots growing out of the scrapped part any faster than the non scraped)
Only mist the inside of the dome on the first day, DO NOT MIST THE CLONES DIRECTLY,
keep the cubes moist.
After you fill the tray and dome it, don't touch anything for 24hr. Then try and take off the dome. If they slump then put it back on for another 24hr. (I don't even use a dome at all though unless its very low RH, but some people claim it helps)

Keep the clones between 75F and 80F under very weak light. DON'T TOUCH THEM
use a dropper to add a few drops of pH'd water directly to the cubes every other day once the lid is off, maybe more if the RH is low. DO NOT LET THE CUBES DRY OUT.

B

bajangreen

Did you change the light source?
I used to have problems until i switched my media to pierlite? also i started to not disturb them for the first 4 days or so.

Personally i don't think humidity domes are necessary i think you should take bigger clones and cut of some of the leaves, only use water and feed the mums nitro before the cut. that works for me i get 55+ out of sixty every time.

Why only the main branches ? i have found the slightly woody branches from the bottom of the plants works best i think they have in more "rooting power" while the new main growth tips are more concerned with growing.

RM - aquagrower

There are lots of different ways to clone. Used to drive me nuts, seeing everyone else and the success they have. Think is, ya gotta find the method that works for you. As for this thing, I'm concidering attempting to root a toothpick. I think it will work.

The burpee kit is around the veggie/flower seeds display at HD and lowes. Don't forget to grab the rooting powder. Follow the directions on the packaging. I use a 6d common nail to premake a holw for the cut.

There is a mat under the "cell trat" that wicks water from the bottom rez. The rez holds a good bit of water. Lasts about a week. I use water strait from the tap. No additives.

Takes smaller cuts ('bout 4"). I use a razor blade to make the initial cut a bit longer than needed. Put it on a plate, trim to size (leaves too), dip in cool water for 10 sec., dip in shotglass holding rooting powder, insert in medium (which is coco). Keep temps 75-80.

I usually leave them in for 2 weeks. I don't even look at them for the first 7-8 days, other than to make sure that there is water in there. Around day 8-10 I remove the dome. After removing the clones, I wash it in the sink (plain water), dry it with a couple paper towls, and re-load.

It's not the fastest method to be found. But it's like cars: Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Pick 2.

Good luck!

petemoss

That's a very nice kit, RM. Wick feeding works great for clones. It solves the biggest cloning challenge - keeping the proper moisture profile thoughout the cube or cup. Once you see what the ideal moisture level should be, you'll be surprised how little water is needed.

I'm working with feminized seeds for the first time and I'm also having a hard time rooting their cuts.

I wonder if it's a feminized thing....