What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in plain water under fluoros

GrüneErd

right Doobie? i love this method. it's THE easiest out there no matter what anyone says.
clones_1.jpg

mine are in old prescription bottles my mom had, just modded the lids to hold the plants, with enough room to get them out with root-mass and all once rooted.
and here, my papaya at exactly ten days in water now:
clones_2.jpg

its easier than when i was using a dome and rapid rooters, and faster too.
peace

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Question for anyone using this method.

Question for anyone using this method.

When you transplant over to soil did you use a B1 Upstart, starter root stimulator, or like cap suggested, a wide spectrum fertilizer?

Pac-n-Puff said using a hormone caused faster root growth but slower plant growth.

I used this method before but can't find what I used to water them with when I transplanted my William Wonder BX2 clones.......not yet anyway.....I wrote it down somewhere....LOL

Desi........where's that tin hat?

GrüneErd

i just split and shaved the bottom of my clones' stems, dipped it into some clonex gel, and put em in the water.

when i put them in soil after the roots developed (nicely i might add) i soaked the soil with a 1/4 strength nute feeding, and they're growin at the same rate as any other plant. once their in the soil, just grow like usual.

i lost no clones and had ZERO wilting throughout the whole process. some clones had to feed off a lower leaf or two, and i just cut them off after they yellowed. maybe 3 of my clones used up a leaf. a stronger initial nute solution fixed the problem on the later clones.
peace

melvin2

I haven't seen this asked anywhere but has anyone used this method like Caprichoso did only instead using finishing female buds? Say, you want (or need) to cut early or maybe you want to sample a branch, will putting the stems in water and the flowers in 12/12 light finish the ripening process?
Also, would this flush out nutrients?

Desiderata- My cuts go into soil enriched with worm castings and mushroom compost, and watered half strength with fish emulsion and seaweed (maybe just a drop of blackstrap molasses, but not much)

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
So is there any difference using the bubble cloner I made?? I am using just plain water with airstones and have had great results!! no stress or yellowing ever really I've had it happen maybe once or twice since I've started using it but I love the quality of the clones it produces!!! So is there any reason you don't use a bubble cloner Cap??

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Desiderata- My cuts go into soil enriched with worm castings and mushroom compost, and watered half strength with fish emulsion and seaweed (maybe just a drop of blackstrap molasses, but not much)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Melvin,.....I read this a day late........I transplanted yesterday, a couple using this method, in about the same kinda mix with fish emulsions, Alaska & Neptune.......because with my last post the pro-mix with some cow manure 1-1-1 was not near enough to keep them sustained...........so I should be good to go with a more flavorful mix.

melvin2

Now what I'm doing is:

when the roots are ready, I plant in very small plastic cups with holes in the bottoms, but, I keep them inside another cup that will hold all the water in. I water them heavily at first like overwatering. They have spent so much time in water that they don't like to be too dry at first.

All I feed them with now is seaweed solution until they are sort of hardened off and can stand to be in drier soil. The worm castings + shroom compost + seaweed feed them enough at first. I do this for 2 or 3 days then when they dry out enough I feed them with fish emulsion and seaweed. I don't water with molasses anymore because I started adding it to my soil mix.

I don't veg for very long, just til they are as tall as I want, usually between 3-6 inches of growth. Then they get transplanted into bigger pots and moved into the flower chamber. After this I stop feeding with fish emulsion to keep it out of the buds.

But, I'm also switching to a nutrient rich soil with bone meal, blood meal, greensand, and seaweed. Until I get it figured out, I'll only be giving them water. If they need something after that, I'll use a tea made with worm castings, bat guano, or whatever else I have around.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Melvin, you are a great help! I'm with you all the way.........I got you. Thankyou for such good info!

Desi

Been experimenting with using dark blue glass to keep out most of the light away from the cut end. Got nubs forming on one of the two old time moonshine cuts I was gifted two weeks ago, but this seems to work better than in clear glass cups. Makes it easy when your doing a lot of trimming and other work aside from cloning, plus other methods could get messy. I still use peat pods and humidity dome when time is an issue.

Homer Tokes

Make sure it fits insidew the pot with no touching the sides anywhere. If it does, it could impede the foam dropping with the water level. If that happens, stems could be exposed, killing the cuttings.

Poke holes in it big enough for the stem. I have 12 plants this time, so 12 holes

Number each hole and fill it from the plant with the corresponding number

Bubble wrap works really well for this. So does closed cell foam packing material (approx 1/8" thick in sheets/rolls). They both will support a lot of weight before sinking and are very easy to work with.

Care Free 1

Veteran
Old thread and low tech technique, but it works great.

I have been cloning for 20 years by just dropping prepared cuttings in a glass of water, and just enough light. Low light levels are best.

Sure I have an aero cloner, and lots of rockwool cubes, rooting hormone, and all the goodies, but when when a glass of water and a cfl does the trick, why spend the extra money!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts