What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in plain water under fluoros

G

Did anyone try to put the clones into total darkness for like 3 or 4 days ?

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
very very very nice thread... im going to try it... thanks for all the info.. im kinda new here but i have to say this site has impressed me to no end.
thanks to thread starter and everyone else for your contributions

endo

fatboyOGOF

howdy.

i bookmarked this a year ago and forgot it.

i was about to clone 30 babes and was not looking forward to the whole routine (i'm not growing that many, they are seedlings i haven't been able to sex yet). 2 to 3 clones each, the cubes, the dipping the this the that. :)

i'm giving water cloning a whirl this time. i like the idea of putting them in a cup, putting them under some low level lights and not having to mist etc. for a week or 2 or 3??. i'm in no hurry, i'll be flipping all into flower tomorrow.

i'm taking a break from cutting down a bunch of party cups.

i also have an autoflower male stonehedge branch in a cup. dropping lots of pollen. nice!!!!!

nice thread. thanks very much!

Yesterday, 11:46 PM #103

jimih1
some do 24, some do less. i usually do 24/7 for the first week after rooting then i flip to 19 or 20 hours light. i got burned with some autoflowering a few grows back when i flipped them from 24/7 (after about a month) to 18/6. i won't be doing that again.

the pros for 18/6 is the dark time allows the roots to grow faster. the pros for 24/7 is bigger veg growth.

flip that coin!! :)

Last edited:

fatboyOGOF

it's 2 weeks later. i put 3 to 5 clones in each cup of water. about 28 different plants.

it's odd how in all of the cups, one or two have a few roots growing, a couple have white bumps and 1 has nothing. i would think, all things being equal, that they would all be in the same state.

the clones still look good and i'm pretty happy with this method. i figure by next week most will be ready for transplant and a few still won't have roots. definately slow but that wasn't a problem for me and it's perfect for lazy stoners like myself.

happy new year!

G

this is some great reading. Thanks to Cap if he is still around. Thank you as well to all that have shown their ways as well. Think I will move to this much simpler method. Its not hard to cut a week sooner than usual.

T

TheOneWill

Caprichoso said:
Also last year, I grew out some Sweet Cindy (a SweetTooth x Cindy99) X Ortega. It auto flowered on me big time. That was my first and I've never seen anything like it (from what I later learned, this trait is common in the ST). Male and female showed at 14 days from seed. Males were dropping pollen at roughly 21 days. I kid you not. Females showed alternate branching at the same time the boys pollen was dropping. I had intended to breed them, and the males would pollenate both it's own females and a Rosetta Stone I had been growing for years, but this was looking less likely as pollen filled my veg area.

The easiest solution was to collect the damn stuff, and since I had been continuing plants for so long with water cloning, I decided to try and stick several entire male branches in water, just before they released most of they're load.

It worked better than I could have possibly expected. The males were long enough that they hung over a glass on an angle enough to keep the droppings on the (freshly cleaned) glass and out of the water. Over the couse of five days, they left at least a full gram on the glass, along with the remains of male flower petals(?)

Finally, I collected the pollen up and mixed it 10:1 with plain white kitchen flour for fridge storage

111pollen_7.JPG
When you did this. What light schedule did you use while they were in the water? I'm using a sweet tooth male to pollinate a jacks poison female. Can't wait.

melvin2

A bump for this method. The fastest one so far was 6.5 days to show a 1/16" root. A few take about a week, others around 2 weeks.

The house I'm in now has a mold problem that was interfering with my cloning success, even with good air circulation. I never had a problem using rapid rooters or peat pellets where I lived across town, but here it wasn't going well. Cloning in perlite wasn't working. I can't believe this was a last ditch effort instead of my main method.

Cloning in plain tap water deserves more credit than it gets, I think.

GrüneErd

easily the best cloning thread i've ever read. can't wait to do this, so simple, saves space and money.

lol there's so many sophisticated methods to cultivate and propagate our beautiful plant, it makes me smile sometimes because in the end, its just a PLANT!
this method shows that, also that not everything about growing is numbers and high-tech products. :joint:
peace

DrBong

yep simplicity rules

anyone cloning in perlite in an ebb & flow setup? such as beer cups filled with perlite and irrigated by watering cycles

Willow Water

Willow Water

I just wanted to add my own 2 cents, about five years ago my mom introduced me to this method because she always laughed at how much i spent to clone my girls. She just put her flowers in a shotglass of water and stuck them in the window. To make a long story short i found a way to get roots in water in as little as six to eight days. Just use willow water (water that soaked with cut up willow branches overnight).

GrüneErd

SativaHybrid said:
To make a long story short i found a way to get roots in water in as little as six to eight days. Just use willow water (water that soaked with cut up willow branches overnight).

damn really? ive never heard of that, any idea why it makes a difference? and just for my own curiosity, how did you decide to try putting willow branches in your water lol? this sounds interesting.
peace

Root growth hormone

Root growth hormone

In a few botany books that i've read it was noted that the willow tree has a root growth hormone. Upon further research i found that some people had tried using willow water as a substitute for cloning gell. I compared water cloning times from several strains and found that on average willow water allowed for transplant in 6-9 days.

GrüneErd

ah, yeah as i got to thinkin i figured that it'd have to be some sort of natural rooting hormone. cool, that's great to know sativahybrid, thanks. im surprised i dont hear of this more.
peace

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
I tried this method out yesterday and took about 40 clones from 12 different plants. super easy to set up--fill cups with water, piece of tape for a label
what an easy way for a guy like me to keep track of seperate varieties!

Latest posts

Latest posts