What's new

Cloning Failing? Tried Everything? Found the missing link?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hammerhead, using gels in a cloner does have benefits. It washes off sure, but the hormone is in the water then. Ive tried with and without and the difference was clear.

doneit

Veteran
I have been experimenting with the shock in one of my rez's, for the most part it is perfection!
I am noticing some calcium toxicity in a few of the leaves though.

Still trying to figure out the best method to keep the rez clean, i am thinking the initial dose to kill the bad stuff should be higher, then lower the shock to minimum requirements when needed.

Any thoughts on this guys? recommendations?

doneit

Veteran
If anyone is interested in my findings.
the pool shock is erratic, and hard to monitor.
I purchased a orp meter to try and keep levels consistent.
to obtain 1ppm of hth shock in a 50 gallon rez took way more added shock than anticipated.
I used test strips to verify the meter was on point.
I had to use roughly 2 teaspoons to get the recommended 1ppm which was obviously way to much imo, you could smell the chlorine was way to potent, so i diluted it to half, down to 1tsp for 50 gallons.
Initially everything seemed fine, after a few days i noticed calcium toxicity in the leaves, I thought i could live with that if the plants stayed healthy.
after 2 weeks i noticed the roots were starting to brown up and die, and the toxicity has gotten worse.
It seems that long exposure to the shock will indeed kill off the plants, i may have done something wrong, but i dont think so?
At this point my experiment has failed and i will continue to look at a better option to keep the rez clean and bacteria free.
if i missed something that you guys know of plz let me know, this would have been a great option for me.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oxygenator. Ever heard of it? Its an oxy based cleaner that is gone in 24 hrs. Not sure about using it WITH plants. However, its great to clean rezs trays and pumps. As far as a bacteria cleansing non harmful product, seems difficult to find.....if it kills anything, it can slow down or kill plants, fme

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually its meant for use with plants and it is peroxide based. Not sure what to think. Its made by mad farmer

marmarb

im not getting the results i used to get at another location this things has been cleaned im thinking it maybe my tap water gonna try the next round in distilled water if that doesnt work than im gonna get a ro machine and im thinking that is different strains all acting the same way so it has to be the water

T

TREE KING

and for the people who are using clorox bleach instead of shock n swim and clear res how much are you putting in your aero cloners, is it 1ml every 10 gal like bigger rooted plants or do you put less?

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oxygenator. Ever heard of it? Its an oxy based cleaner that is gone in 24 hrs. Not sure about using it WITH plants. However, its great to clean rezs trays and pumps. As far as a bacteria cleansing non harmful product, seems difficult to find.....if it kills anything, it can slow down or kill plants, fme

I've just posted on this in the H2o2 thread. I was given one called an 'Oxydator' made by a firm called Sochting.
Hope it helps

Tompo

I had for a long time problems rooting anything and even growing, I had all kinds of problems constantly with everything imaginable and fought a year with finally realizing the issue: the water!

I was using tap water as in this part of the world we have good quality soft water, except that for some weird reason in our house the water is bad, despite the PPM's being good.

Changed to spring water (and later RO), all issues fixed.

Also, remember oxygen!

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Way back in post #124 i mentioned trying a saline solution and had some supriseingly good results , after some experiment on excess clones am now useing a much weaker two gram per litre solution of sea salt and getting more roots and less of a mould problem compared to plain water used before.

This seems counterintuitive as sodium is an unwelcome component in nutes and salty soil is unproductive by water stress.

Simple and fast to try if anyone cares to , should be reproduceable as it seems consistent for me , will do a side by side when i have time.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There seems to be some advantage to saline over straight water , same clone here and the only variable is the salt.

picture.php

Stems on both have around 50 punctures , the bottom one in saline is doing considerably better than the other at day seven , more holes produced a rootlet and faster so far.

Have a batch to do soon and will put ten each into a side by side from the same mother , should show if its worth pursuing.

Doubt there would be any quantifiable difference a month from now , but any tweek helps with the awkward squad and sickly stuff when its all you have.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Have a batch to do soon and will put ten each into a side by side from the same mother , should show if its worth pursuing.

I would be very interested to see your results M8, please follow through and post the results. :tiphat:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its all about cleanliness. If you use brand new sprayers, new cloning gel, new neoprene collars and a new razor blade each time in an ez cloner, you will always do better. I replace all those things on my 30 site ez cloner and i usually dont even miss one. All those things have to be brand new.

mrmero

Hi Guys,

I cant get pool shock in my location unfortunately or clorex bleach :(

I have found a possible replacement for this and hoping you guys might be able to help me decide if its okay or not?

It says:

Active ingredient – Sodium Hypochlorite – available chlorine content of 13%.

Liquid chlorine requires no pre-dissolving, has no residue and requires daily application. Dosage 500ml per 10 000 litres of water, if stabilised requires 250ml per 10 000 litres of water.

This product is also an ideal Shock treatment for Salt water pools as it is a sodium (salt) based product.

Benefits

Fast Acting Chlorine, no need to dissolve
Zero Residue
Strength:
130g/L (13%)
Pack sizes:
5L, 10L

http://www.poolresources.com.au/product/freestyle-liquid-chlorine/

Would this be suitable to use ?

Thanks Guys :)

Latest posts

Latest posts