What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Luang prabang is still available but buy several packs at least if you want to work with more than a few plants. Germination on these is at about 15% and about a third of these never grow past cotyledons.
Out of 40 seeds recently started i have 2 healthy seedlings, and 5 hopeful helmet heads and other slow growers.

Thanks for the HU I Wood. I kinda expected bad results, but it sounds worse than I expected. Probably still give it a try though.

F2F

Yep- I read a few threads here speaking to low germ on those Luang Prabang Lao. The smoke reports were decent but no one found anything special in these by the sounds. I've been reading up on the WOS wild Thai as well.

Best
F2F

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Soo a few days ago I started 35 DPf2 seeds by soaking in some water, that was placed under the Thrive LED Bar. I got kinda lazy and let them soak for 3 days, and was nicely surprised to see 23 tails when I checked on them this afternoon. All 23 have been planted now, and the remaining 12 have been placed between some moist tissue paper, which went into a small container, and then I placed that small container into the yogurt maker to warm up. Maybe the increased warmth of the yogurt maker can make the remaining ones pop. I didn't expect to get 23/35 to germ. The last 10 i started, only got soaked for a few hours under lights, and Ive only had 3/10 come up after 2 weeks. Will dig those up and resoak under the lights. Im wondering if its the extra soak time, or the increased exposure to light has improved the germ % so much. Likely a combination of the two.

Will be doing a test with seeds soon. I want to see how much of an effect exposure time has on seed germination %. Think Ill have one group under 24hrs light while soaking, 1 group with no light, and maybe 1-6 hours of light for a few more groups. Got lots of extra seeds to play around with.

Follow up to above: After placing the ungermed DPf2 seeds into the yogurt maker, I ended up with 9 more cracking with tails showing. 32/35 is much better. How many will make it to the surface is still up in the air, but at least they cracked.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Well only about a 1/3rd of those that cracked in the yogurt maker made it to the surface. May have been closer to 25%, but better than nothing.

We also got an interesting Quadrifoliate DPf2 out of these recent additions to the garden. This is my first ever plant to have 4 leaves. A quadrifoliate. Seen plenty of tris, but this is something new. Looking forward to seeing how it comes along. Since I took this shot, those 4 leaves are large enough to completely obscure the 4 cotyledons below. Pretty happy with how the seedlings are doing underneath the LED bar even though its massively overpriced. The DPxThai are very vigorous and outdoing all the seedlings. Will snap some pics soon of the new additions.

Its my first time ever using Zerene Stacker. Decent first attempt?? The name in the bottom left certainly isn't aligned very well, so looks like I can make some improvements.

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Well Ive purchased another HLG QB Fixture. The 135w V2 R-Spec model(3500K + 660 nm). Its a bit of DIY, but wasn't very difficult and even I managed to have it wired correctly and running in about 30 minutes. Thing puts out lots of umols. Gonna run it about a foot above the canopy with this model. Got my Thai mom underneath it now. Really disappointed with how things have gone so far with flowering her. Only a month into flowering, and losing lots of leaves to N def. Too damned tall, requiring bending tops down heavily. Will probably just supercrop tonight, and try to get more even canopy for the LED fixture. Not gonna get the best out of her like this, but I was more interested in selfing her, as well as making some ThaixGD, and maybe some ThaixPNG seeds. She flowers so long, I should be able to self her first, collect those seeds, and then dust some untouched buds with some GD or PNG pollen. Maybe it'll be possible.

I didn't stop with a new fixture. I may as well get a new tent to go along with it. Searched several brands, and read many reviews on Amazon, and various threads, and was initially leaning towards Gorilla, but several reviews on Amazon made me opt out of that brand. Then I read a review recommending Octane Grow Tents by Liquid Jade. Checked out some youtube videos of the tent by its creator, and I decided to give it a try. Its pricey, but the quality looks top notch, and something that will last for years. My cheap ebay tents are riddled with pinholes and lightleaks, so looking forward to seeing what kinda quality I get for my money. Hoping I dont get burned like I did with the Thrive Agritech
default_rofl.gif
. Tent is 48"x48"x80". Looking to put about 500w of LEDs in the tent.

Also picked up a 6" Can Fan Max Pro series. Opted out of one of their filters as I have extra here, but may grab one soon enough just so I can compare the quality. Grabbed some necessary supplies so I can begin the Kratky Passive Hydro Method too. Looking forward to trying that out. Ive got lots of seedlings right now that would be perfect to transplant into some mason jars for my test run. Plenty of youtube videos Ive watched that make it look promising.

Im feeling excited with all the new toys and additions to the garden.

EDIT: It turned out I bought two Tents, and two Can fans, so we'll just be outfitting two for the time being. Now that I have them, I can set up a CMH vs LED side by side in the future. One tent will get both CMH fixtures I have. Will need to buy more QB fixtures for the other tent.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
About to word vomit all over the place. Enjoy.

So I was grabbing some supplies from the local Home Depot, and I decided to check out their selection of Philips T5 led replacement bulbs. They had the 24w versions that are meant to replace 54wT5HO bulbs. I grabbed a couple of the 4k versions to compare to 2 t5 bulbs on the opposite side of the reflector. I had two bulbs removed in the middle, so I was only running one side or the other each time I tested the output with my Par meter.

I used a tall PNG plant that was 4 or 5 inches away from the lightsources to aid me in my test. I placed the meter at the apex of the plant and measured it underneath the t5leds, and tested it once more underneath the 54w T5HO. Underneath the two 54w(108 total watts) T5HO bulbs I measured 200-210 umols hitting the apex of the plant. I then turned off those lights, and tested the 24w t5 leds. I was getting 260-270 umols at the top of the plant. 60-70 umols more, even though were using 44% less wattage. Holy shit! Granted these were two old 54w t5s that are due for replacement. I think Ill grab a couple 54wt5 brand new and test them out against the philips bulbs to see how things perform. Either way, Im pretty sure Ill be completely retrofitting my t5 reflector with the led bulbs. They run so cool. I can touch my hand to them and not get burned.

I was considering some other brands of T5 led replacement bulbs that are marketed towards us growers like Agromax, but once burned twice shy.., and they're expensive. 2-3x the cost of the Philips. I was leaning towards them because they're clear, while the Philips are frosty. Clear would be ideal, but Im spending so much money on new growing gear, I figured I better dial it back a bit here. Jesus fuck, I just looked at the Thrive Agritech LED 30w t5 bulb, and its nearly $70 for one fucking bulb! Looks like there are some 41w bulbs out there that are around $25. That seems a bit more affordable. Think Ill stick with the Philips for now though.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Last night I managed to set up one of the Octane Grow tents w/ a Can Fan, and Fresh Filter that'd been sitting unused for a long time. The exhaust still has that strong carbon smell. Love that smell oddly..

Im very happy with how well the tent is built. Thickest/strongest poles Ive ever seen in any grow tent. Easily supported my weight when I hung from it(155-160lbs). The fabric is thick and durable with no signs of damage. I installed one of the 315w CMH in it, closed it up, and turned out the lights. Saw one light leak at very bottom front right of the tent, but a small strip of velcro in that spot will eliminate that problem. In a few spots if you look from the right angles you can see some very tiny pinhole leaks where some of the stitching is, but I dont find it enough of a concern to worry about. And those zippers...smooth like butter baby! Those things glide up and down, left and right, all around and no hang ups whatsoever.

Even though the box said made in China, Im very pleased with the quality of the tent. Looks pretty dope too. Will get the other one set up tomorrow. It will be outfitted with around 500-550 watts of LED, while the one I set last night is going to house both of the 315w CMH fixtures. I can foresee a CMH vs LED run in the future...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
The Fan is actually sitting on top of the tent. Not sure how much warmer the tent would be if I ran it inside, but opted to have it outside the tent. Even on its lowest setting, pulling through the filter, those tent walls have been sucked in nicely. I can't imagine any stank escaping this tent.

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Quick update on some seedlings I started recently.

The 4 DP x TSA were overdue for a transplant, so Ive used these 4 plants as my Kratky method testers. I removed them from their 3 oz cups, and placed them into some 3 inch net cups, filled in with some washed hydroton, and placed them into a Qt mason jar with a feed solution of Dyna Gro Grow 7-9-5, and ProTekt. Providing around 30ppm of Si right now. Total ppms range from 230-270 for the jars(4 atm). Not sure of the ideal PPM atm, so just starting off in the 250 range for now. Theres about a half inch gap between the water and the bottom of the net cup. Its been about 3 days since Ive done the transplant, and I still have to top water for the time being, but I can see the roots growing and reaching for that water. Wont be long now. Ive got all 4 of these plants sitting under the 65w HLG LED fixture. They're getting around 350-420 umols atm. On a 18/6 light schedule they're getting a DLI around 26. As they get bigger, I'll shoot for a DLI of 30 for the remainder of veg, and probably not exceed 35 during flowering.

These DPxTSA are the most vigorous of the group, but they also have 50% more media to work with. Still happy with how they're coming along though.

Group Shot of the 4

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

nickman

Veteran
That’s a nice tent Dave .....

I watched the tube video and they look really well made...!!!...

I don’t use tents but just watching the video and seeing all the advantages with the LJ tents is great for future purchases if I ever decide to get one ....

What do they run about 300$.???...

Dave Coulier

Veteran
That’s a nice tent Dave .....

I watched the tube video and they look really well made...!!!...

I don’t use tents but just watching the video and seeing all the advantages with the LJ tents is great for future purchases if I ever decide to get one ....

What do they run about 300$.???...

Thanks Nickman! Its well made indeed. Its light-years beyond my old ratty ebay tents I bought years ago. Those things belong on a fire heap.

I started off with tents, then switched to open rooms, then a mix of both, and now I feel like Im swinging back to tents. For my flower room, the plan is to start with two tents fully decked out, with a 3rd one eventually. One tent will be to stress test potential keeper plants(cycle disruptions,etc), another for running plants on 12/12 from seed, so I can evaluate potential lines quicker with less space necessary. 3rd tent will be just to grow some stanky fire buds :biggrin:

After that I still have another room that needs some TLC.

Im considering picking up a Secret Jardin, or another high quality Grow tent, so I can compare to the Octanes. $300 isn't cheap for a tent of this size, so its pricey alright. I do feel like I got a much better value for my money though when compared to the Thrive Agritech LED bar purchase. :wallbash:

The only thing missing from the first tent up is a UVB fixture. Ive already picked up an Ushio 18" t8 UVB bulb that emits UVB at 306nm range, which falls right into that sweet spot. Gonna get the fixture ordered soon, and mount that between the dual 315w CMH's I have in the tent now for the cherry on the top.

nickman

Veteran
Nice, sounds like a real good idea working with all the different tents....

That’s kinda what I’d like to do... have a tent or two or three or four !!! Lol...
and also work in my rooms I’ve built previously...!!!...

What does the UVB help with??? I’ve been hearing about it lately but haven’t really paid much attention to what’s being said...!!!...

I still love your root pic’s too...
Every since I read your posts about how u water the seedlings with the syringe I’ve been interested in doing it that way... I got a few syringes to do it that way but it just seems to take a lot of time to make sure it’s saturated evenly...!!!...

So your recommendations are not purchasing tents off amazon???

I’d be so nervous hanging air cooled hoods and charcoal filters in a tent that isn’t built well..

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Nice, sounds like a real good idea working with all the different tents....

That’s kinda what I’d like to do... have a tent or two or three or four !!! Lol...
and also work in my rooms I’ve built previously...!!!...

What does the UVB help with??? I’ve been hearing about it lately but haven’t really paid much attention to what’s being said...!!!...

I still love your root pic’s too...
Every since I read your posts about how u water the seedlings with the syringe I’ve been interested in doing it that way... I got a few syringes to do it that way but it just seems to take a lot of time to make sure it’s saturated evenly...!!!...

So your recommendations are not purchasing tents off amazon???

I’d be so nervous hanging air cooled hoods and charcoal filters in a tent that isn’t built well..

The studies regarding UV supplementation is that it increases THC %, especially UVB. This is a popular study that supports this idea, but Its from 87, and their methods have been criticized as would be expected. Still worth a look though. If you do use it though less is more with UV, both for you and the plant. Its very easy to over do it, and isn't something that should be run non stop during flowering.

Best to use it during the last few weeks of flower Ive read, and intermittently. Ill test out by using it a total of 2 hours during lights on, but in 15 minute increments throughout the lights on cycle, and go from there.

hey man, if you want those sexy white fuzzy roots, it takes patience with that syringe. For very small seedlings, I do it drop by drop, which is usually 10-15 ml spread over(2-3 pulses) if Im starting the plants in 2oz-3oz containers. Now if you are starting your seedlings in larger containers, it does take considerably more time to water them by drip/syringe. For larger containers like a gallon or two, Ill apply the water more liberally via syringe, but I do work in more pulses spaced several minutes apart to make up for the lack of 'dripping'.

I wouldn't say not to purchase tents off Amazon, as thats where I got my Octane tent from, but Im very pleased with it. There are alot of cheap Chinese made tents on Amazon and ebay, that have flooded the market. And Id bet money eBay, and Amazon have sellers selling counterfeit Tents. Finding quality made tents can be difficult. Even brands with really strong reputations haven't been immune from poor manufacturing at times or people selling knock-offs. No idea if these Octane tents will still be of the same quality years from now, but Ill support this brand for the foreseeable future. The box does say made in China though lol, but its the best quality tent Ive ever gotten by leaps and bounds.

I doubt Ill ever have more than 50 pounds ever hanging above my plants, but I used my own body weight which is 3x that and the tent didn't give any signs of failing. Was kinda scary to hang from it after spending so much money on it, but I had to know if it would support the weight.

If you're in the market for a new tent, give it a try. Doubt you'll be disappointed.

Oh speaking of roots, wait till you see the upcoming photos of my tester clone in a Kratky Passive Hydro setup(Mason Jar-cus Im country durr.) Tis true I do live in the valley of the Appalachia's, but Im not one of them dirty mountain folk. :biggrin:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Passive Hydro Kratky Roots

Passive Hydro Kratky Roots

This is my first ever clone Ive tried growing in Hydro(Kratky aka Passive Hydro, aka DWC without aeration. Its working very well for this clones root system. Growth up top doesn't match it yet, but Im very pleased with how well the roots have developed. Started to get a touch of algae on the tap root as Ive allowed light to reach the solution. Wont be allowing that going forward. Still got some improvements to make like blocking out the light with some old unused fabric bags wrapped around the jars.

May get some Sm-90 to for the roots, but will also try out some Rootshield Home and Garden as well in the solution.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
So I thought Id share what Im working with/will work with for my LED tent Set Up.

Here are the acquired parts so far:

Some of the Amazon links dont seem to work through TOR, but they work just fine outside of TOR.

Wago

Junction Box

Power Cord
I went with 12 ft power cords because the 6 ft that comes with every other LED fixture Ive bought so far is just too damned short. Have to get an extension cord every time for them. Going to change all my 6 foot cords over to 12 ft. I think you can also get 9 ft cords as well if 12 is overkill.

QB 288 V2 R-Spec & Slate 2 Double
A total of 4 QB's for the second 4x4 Octane Tent. One Driver can power up to 4 boards, but I think Ill get a second Driver and power 2 boards for each. I considered mounting 4 boards to a frame, but Instead Ill hang each fixture separately from some Ratchet Rope Hangers. It'll give me a bit more flexibility should some of my plants end up at different heights, which is always.

LED Driver

Driver Guide

Diffusion Panel
Im considering getting some acrylic sheets cut, that I can mount to my QBs for improved light diffusion. LED's do produce hotspots, so the extra diffusion should come in handy. Light transmittance is around 91-93% with these sheets. I can live with that.

Im also going to get some Far-Red LED's at 730nm. Ill use them in veg to improve leaf expansion, while in flower they will be used to speed up flowering. They'll kick on 10 minutes before lights off, and continue for 10 minutes afterwards.

Cant help but wonder if Far-Red during flower can increase flower size in addition to faster triggering of flower. Maybe thats the secret of HPS bulbs. :thinking:

Im also considering some LED strip lights at 850nm to supplement Infrared light. I imagine they'll be happy to get some extra warmth during the cold winter months. Plus, they did evolve underneath a natural light source that's ripe with IR. How much IR photons to supply is currently unknown to me. Got some experimenting to do in the future.

May supplement with some Blue LEDS strips at 415nm as well for improved pigmentation, to mitigate stretch responses, improved stomatal response & stomatal density.

swampthing

Killer thread... been taking a break from forums for a bit as I’ve moved away from a dank friendly state and it just makes me miss my garden and sometimes just hanging around gets me to throw some beans in a paper towel at 2am bc I just wanna start growing so bad! Haha

Great thread Dave. May be a fly on the wall for a bit.
Or maybe even a parrot in the corner...

Hehe
All da bestest y’all
Swampy

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Killer thread... been taking a break from forums for a bit as I’ve moved away from a dank friendly state and it just makes me miss my garden and sometimes just hanging around gets me to throw some beans in a paper towel at 2am bc I just wanna start growing so bad! Haha

Great thread Dave. May be a fly on the wall for a bit.
Or maybe even a parrot in the corner...

Hehe
All da bestest y’all
Swampy

Thanks for the very kind words Swampy. Sorry Ive been away for a few months. Winter kinda puts me into a funk that takes awhile to dig myself out of. On top of that Im an antisocial introvert with occasional outbursts of socializing. :biggrin:

Why let a non-friendly state stop what you love doing? I certainly dont live in a friendly state and I always have to fear being caught, but it wont stop me. Hope you'll get a chance to raise a garden again in the near future. Often it'll feel like a chore to me after working all day at my normal job, but I wouldn't give it up for nothing.

I couldn't come back without any photos, so Ive snapped some decent shots of the fasciated Durban Poison F2. Her stem really flattened out and she's a mess of a girl, but she makes for an interesting sight.

I had planned on dusting her with some DP pollen for some interesting seeds to explore, but it would appear my effort to make Golden Diesel F2's carried over onto her. Her crown of pistils have all gone amber-orange shortly after the pollination. These upcoming pics were taken before then.

Just beautiful roots you’ve got there...!!!...

Thanks Nickman. They were healthier than I what I could have expected. I ended up culling all the Kratky style plants a while later after those photos. Its much easier to screw up plants with that method, than say putting a plant in soilless media, some osmocote, and occasional feeds. It didn't help I allowed algae to take root either.

I plan on giving it another go once temps warm up, with opaque reservoirs/containers. I made enough mistakes last time, Im bound to do better this time.