What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

............about pulse watering, and that was a game changer for my roots then. You simply apply your solution to your plants in pulses allowing time for the water to wick throughout the media in between each pulse. Time between pulses are typically 5-10 minutes for me. I like to apply about about 20-25% of the water to plant A, move onto Plant B and water, move to Plant C and water, etc and eventually you work your way back around to Plant A where we start the process over again. Rinse repeat until we give them the required solution. The time in between plants give the water the time it needs to wick throughout the media. I can apply more water without wasted run-off......

plus with this irrigation method you can prevent that the soil become washed out from nuts.. that often means also a raising concentration of salts.. sò discomforts for plants.. I also like th[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]e syringe ..glad to see that I am not the only mad who do that :biggrin:

Concluding I can only agree with HB and BG when they say :

[/FONT]
wow such broad leaves! beautiful plants dave!

They really are lovely, not a leaf out of place. Really good work.

green vibes man :tiphat:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
plus with this irrigation method you can prevent that the soil become washed out from nuts.. that often means also a raising concentration of salts.. sò discomforts for plants.. I also like th[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]e syringe ..glad to see that I am not the only mad who do that :biggrin:

Concluding I can only agree with HB and BG when they say :
[/FONT]
green vibes man :tiphat:

Cime, do you use google translate to follow my thread, as I do yours? I got kinda confused when I read nuts. So you use a syringe too? Provides great control and was a better option than anything I ever found in a gardening store.

Dave I like your system but would really suggest airpots like smartpot that reduce the root problems.

Hey Pendleton, Im glad you like it.

Ive tried fabric bags before for over a year, and while I liked them. I also had some complaints. If you dont pack the media in heavily, you get media that will shift around easily when handling the container. I dont want to pack the media heavily as it alters the physical properties negatively. Maybe its better with the square fabric pots versus round?

Ive also tried plastic pots coated with Microkote, which is supposed to stop root circling with the use of copper. It worked and it didn't work so well. As media drys out, the rootball contracts from the container walls. Over time that shrinkage will interfere in the ability for Microkote to do its job correctly. Plus it has to be reapplied periodically. I still use the pots but almost all the Microkote coating is gone at this point.

I picked up some Airpots awhile back though and Ive been intending on giving them a try. Im hoping they will provide me with something superior to plastic pots, but without the negatives Ive experienced with other containers Ive used.

When I transplant my next batch of Durban Poisons seedlings, Ill use some of them along with regular plastic pots. We'll see how they compare and go from there.

Pendleton

I've never had that issue with soil compaction, but tend to set 10g containers and move on. Am just trying a new brand of plastic fabric pots that are a much lighter material and about 1/4 of the price. Happy so far, but they seem to dry a little faster.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I've never had that issue with soil compaction, but tend to set 10g containers and move on. Am just trying a new brand of plastic fabric pots that are a much lighter material and about 1/4 of the price. Happy so far, but they seem to dry a little faster.

I tend to do alot of moving my plants around, so I can see how we have had different experiences. I may still have some Root Pouches(fabric bags). Ill root around and see if I can find one. The DP need a transplant soon, so I think Ill try throwing one in there and see how she does.

Cime, do you use google translate to follow my thread, as I do yours? I got kinda confused when I read nuts. So you use a syringe too? Provides great control and was a better option than anything I ever found in a gardening store.....

Hi Dave, I dont use google transaltor.. is my english that really suck..:laughing: ..I apologize for that..

anyway with nuts I mean nutrients.. and yes I use syringe too :biggrin:

Pendleton

Cime, just helpful advice. Put an E on when you're shortening it to "nutes". Nuts is a type of food, or slang foe testicles :p.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
ooo I hated those plastic egg crate airpots. I think they'd be great for a flood table with coco maybe but did not love them with soil hand watering or blumats.

I'm currently using the geopot brand with handles. they are very sturdy much nicer than the smart pots with handles I used several years ago (no clue whether smart pot has improved their design since).

I do know what you're saying regarding the soil shifting when moving pots. fwiw it's much less of an issue after a cycle or two no-till style

Dave Coulier

Veteran
@Cime, your english is good enough enough. I just got hung up on the missing "E". I dont know why it didn't click. May have had something to do with my meds heh.

@HD & Pendleton, I think I have the same exact pots your talking about. Im not sure if I should be disheartened, or take it as a challenge to make them work. Ill transplant some durban poison seedlings tonight in 3 of the containers and see how they do.

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
yup that's the one.

if you lose the little blue screw, a cable tie works in their place!

Ive got plenty of twist ties around here, so Im covered if I misplace the cap. What was your major grievance with them when you tried them out?

These are the ones I use, http://smartpots.publishpath.com/. The lighter material ones I'm testing are from "Ruth's Tree Farm".

I can't say I wouldn't want to see a massive amount of root tips sticking out of the bottom and sides of fabric bags. Would make for some good photo ops. I haven't transplanted the DP yet. I was too pooped after general maintenance tonight. Ill do it tomorrow evening, and soon we'll get to see how the roots respond. :tiphat:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
GN Thai Stick Update

GN Thai Stick Update

Before I go off to bed I wanted to make a quick update.

Ive moved 4 of the Thai who have outgrown their T5 into the flowering room and have already taken cuttings and placed them into rapid rooters on top of a capillary mat(Burpee Seed Starting Kit). It works pretty well so far and allows me to go without a humidity dome. Maybe I should buy another one and try one under the hood and one not?

The two shortest Thai have had cuttings taken from them as well, but they're not going into flowering room just yet. They're still too compact for my liking. Plus my flower room is getting crowded.

One reason is because of ladies like this one..Ive staked her many tops closer together to reduce her wingspan since this photo was taken.

Day 64 11/13

picture.php

picture.php

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
haha wingspan is an apt term for that gal!

I didn't like the airpots because at harvest I found large pockets of hydrophobic soil that the roots had never penetrated. I ran with them for two cycles, once hand watered and once blumat watered and had the same issues both times.

granted, I was a total newb at the time and I'm pretty sure I'd notice earlier now if I was losing 20% of my rootzone , but I have already come to love the fabric pots and prefer them regardless.

I also think that different watering methods and or media could improve those rigid airpots. I always thought they'd be great in a flood table with coco with roots spilling out all over the place, but that's not really my style.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Love this Thai sativa......what an amazing structure. Well Done Dave...

Thanks a bunch Laza Haze. She's quite the looker I agree :biggrin: Just wait till she really begins packing on the buds. That'll be in about 2-3 months hehe. I expect 180-200 days for her. Patience is a virtue I hear..

Laz

I didn't like the airpots because at harvest I found large pockets of hydrophobic soil that the roots had never penetrated. I ran with them for two cycles, once hand watered and once blumat watered and had the same issues both times.

granted, I was a total newb at the time and I'm pretty sure I'd notice earlier now if I was losing 20% of my rootzone , but I have already come to love the fabric pots and prefer them regardless.

I also think that different watering methods and or media could improve those rigid airpots. I always thought they'd be great in a flood table with coco with roots spilling out all over the place, but that's not really my style.

She was just as wide or wider as she is tall. About 4 feet 4 inches from the top of the soil. Easily 5 feet+ across during the pic. These ladies will really take a garden over, and here I having just placed 4 more in there. What have I done? Lol.

Ill give my best attempts to the airpots and see if I can avoid the same problems you've had, but tbh, Ive had dry pockets using blumats in regular plastic containers before too when improperly dialed in.

I bet somewhere on this site someone probably has used airpots in a flood table. Id love to see pics of the results too. It does seem like a good fit.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Love this Thai sativa......what an amazing structure. Well Done Dave...
Laz

Thanks a bunch Laza Haze. She's quite the looker I agree
biggrin.gif
Just wait till she really begins packing on the buds. That'll be in about 2-3 months hehe. I expect 180-200 days for her. Patience is a virtue I hear..

She was just as wide or wider as she is tall. About 4 feet 4 inches from the top of the soil. Easily 5 feet+ across during the pic. These ladies will really take a garden over, and here I having just placed 4 more in there. What have I done? Lol.

Ill give my best attempts to the airpots and see if I can avoid the same problems you've had, but tbh, Ive had dry pockets using blumats in regular plastic containers before too when improperly dialed in.

I bet somewhere on this site someone probably has used airpots in a flood table. Id love to see pics of the results too. It does seem like a good fit.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thai Stick Update Day 41 from Seed/ Day 6 Flower

Thai Stick Update Day 41 from Seed/ Day 6 Flower

Its been about two weeks since I last updated the Thai. They've gotten leggier than Id like, but I expect that from seed plants. The future clones will be more manageable.

First up is TS-B. This is the one that has the alligator like serrations. The only one out of 6 with this distinct look from this group. Id almost like to cross this one to my favorite Durban Poison just to see how the leaves would look.

picture.php

picture.php

TS-E is a little droopy during these pics. I have to keep some of the Thai on the outer edges of my footprint, but they'd prefer more light. Once I can get it further under the light the leaves will perk up again.

picture.php

Check out the 11 bladed fan leaves. They're around 8 or 9 inches long under MH only. If I place my plants under HPS, I find the fan leaves get even larger and longer..I can only imagine how huge they'd get. Not that Id ever place a pure Sativa under HPS again. Way too much stretch whenever Ive done it before.

picture.php

More plants to come folks!