What's new

Clearx vs drip clean

I am looking for some imput on flushing with clearx or running drip clean the whole grow. I am not set up to flush alot. I would like to try with little run off. THANKS

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
drip clean is revolutionary, i dont know why more people are not using it. it does not cost much and you use .4ml per gallon.
i run drip clean throughout my whole grow with no flushing. my yields and quality are phenomenal, just cut a plant last week that yielded 330 grams in a 5 gallon smart pot.
use drip clean, forget about clearex!

I have heard Drip Clean can shock your plants if you don't raise them with it from the start.

I am running Pura Vida in open drip lines, and am concerned about clogging issues. I hear good things about Drip Clean, but it concerns me that it is so strong. It is part of the H&G complete feeding program, and if I add it to Pura Vida I disrupt the ratio of N-P-K. In addition I am not sure what effect it might have on organic (not OMRI anymore, abut whatever) nutes.

If memory serves it is very high in K right? Coco is already doing its K thing, so could it really disrupt if mixed with PV?

I have GH FloraKleen, and it works awesome, and is WAY cheaper then Clearex. Clearex is an oz/gal or somthing like that. Flora Kleen is 1 tsp. Clearex is $39 (If I remember right) and Flora Kleen is $20. Only difference is no sugar added, which is easy enough to do.

I am thinking of running it through my drip systems once or twice a week.

whodi

Veteran
SM-90 is really good to use to prevent clogging your drippers/sprayers and all. It's also very good at keeping pest to a minimal and maintaining healthy roots... and keeping your reservoir smelling fresh and mold free.

SM-90 is really good to use to prevent clogging your drippers/sprayers and all. It's also very good at keeping pest to a minimal and maintaining healthy roots... and keeping your reservoir smelling fresh and mold free.

Wont SM-90 kill all benifical organisams along with the bad just like H2O2? Plus I am looking for something to flush with not to clean drippers.

drip clean is revolutionary, i dont know why more people are not using it. it does not cost much and you use .4ml per gallon.
i run drip clean throughout my whole grow with no flushing. my yields and quality are phenomenal, just cut a plant last week that yielded 330 grams in a 5 gallon smart pot.
use drip clean, forget about clearex!

I have been following alot of your treads great info. Have you noticed any down side to using drip clean and what is it?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Citizen024 - drip clean dosent shock the plants a all, unless you use more then recommended for a period of time. it wont disrupt your feeding schedule or raise your npk at all, its an additive, not a nutrient. get rid of your clearez and floraclean and step it up to a way better product, who likes to flush? drip clean is pretty cheap too. :2cents:

HIGH Alltitude - only down side to drip clean is when i used way more then recommended for almost an entire crop. the plants really didnt like it. but i have 8 successful grows using drip clean, my yields are skyrocketing using this product...

D

dongle69

Drip clean has an npk ratio of 0-24-8.
It is phosphoric acid and potassium oxide.
It was designed to keep drip lines clean.
It is weird that only the US site markets it as a way to prevent over fertilizing.
Here is the European info:
http://ukhouseandgarden.co.uk/hg_dripclean.html
They even say "Drip Clean gives your plants a boost, improving their greenness and vitality."
I tried it when I was hand watering 3-5 gallon containers and it didn't prevent buildup.
It does work in my Waterfarms to help keep the lines from blocking up.

krunchbubble

Veteran
i stand corrected, it is 0-24-8, my bad, i was under the impression it was an additive only. still wont change the way i use it, as a matter of fact i most likely will never run another grow without it, it works to good to not. yesterday i measured my nutrient mix and mad sure i had a little runoff to measure, 80 ppm difference. 9th week of flowering, not 1 day of flushing, proves drip clean works to eliminate salt buildup.

Yes and no on wether or not it really made the difference. Not trying to discount you at all, just saying there are many other factor that influence medium ppm. Humidity, air flow, plant needs and how quickly they absorb water, medium saturation are all factors that will effect ppm. I have plants in the same tray run off sometimes drastically differently if they haven't been getting watered the same, or if their medium is exposed to light (causing more evap, concentrating the nutes in the medium).

I hear it works very well for keeping your lines clear yes; and it grabs free elements in the medium. Not that is not what I am ?'ing.

I am questioning how it effects nutrients, and how it works with nutrient lines outside of H&G. Also I am running a highly refined organic nutrient, not a synthetic salt- so once again it changes things. Last thing I want to do if fuck up my nutrient by having the Drip Clean alter it somehow. In addition, it itself is a fertilizer, which means I have to account it into my feeding program.

I guess what I need to do is test it in a small area first and see what happens. I usually have a good "feel" for how products will effect a plant from time and experience, but with this product I have no idea what it really does on every level.

I've been running Drip Clean in flower only (veg is hand watered) and have had no problems with adding it after not using it through veg.

I think these two products have completely different purposes. I would run drip clean throughout, if you are using drip irrigation only. If not, don't use it at all.

Clearex is a flush used at the end of flower, and sometimes periodically throughout the Flower cycle to 'clean out' the substrate. Flush with something for sure, whatever it is...

Thanks StrictlyGatway, thats exactly what I needed to know. Has it effected your nutrient TDS at all? What nutrient line are you using?

Recirc or run to waste?

I was hoping/dreaming to eliminate the need for regular flushing of some of my coco plants. Some don't seem to need it; but I have one strain that always appears to be suffering from salt build-up, regardless of how low the ppm. Is this a pipe dream?

Since I already have the stuff in inventory(just bought some), I'll give it a whirl and report results. Would it be worth it to do a side by side run, half with, half without? I guess I keep asking myself if this is a product where I'll be able to notice a difference in the amount and/or quality of the finished product? If not, wouldn't really make sense to compare, or even use I guess.

I would love to see if regular use of Clearex or Flora Kleen in with drip nutrients would do the same.

Also if your not running open lines it really is the way to go. Drippers themselves are a problem. It takes large pumps with higher pressures, but it is worth it. I like to run mine with a fairly heavy flood for a short amount of time- with watering cycles closer together. This flushes the nutrient through well, and also the speed of the watering keeps build ups from being as bad, might even clear small clogs.

I am running clearex right now every other watering till the ppm comes down, so far so good. I am also only getting about 10% to 15% run off, we will see how that works. No drippers to keep clean just using it to flush, I will pull ppm out of the run off again in the morning to see how much more it has helped. Thanks everyone for the input.

Thanks StrictlyGatway, thats exactly what I needed to know. Has it effected your nutrient TDS at all? What nutrient line are you using?

Recirc or run to waste?

Hey Citizen, right now i'm using Humboldt Oneness and Ginormous every other watering for the first 3 weeks, then every watering til a week before harvest.

I water once a day half-hour before the lights come on. I drain to waste and get 5-10% waste. After using drip emitters, then nothing at the end of the 1/4" tubing, i've changed to drip stakes, which i'm loving.

I come from a soil background, so I apologize that i can't give very many specifics about my TDS. i only check it sometimes. I don't think the drip clean effects it, if that's your question, but again, i don't always check it....i flush often. I used to use Clearex to flush, but now i'm using the 'Humbold brew', which is a brew of the Humboldt Honey (molasses, really) and their Mayan Microzyme. I've been happy with this regime, but i really am thinking that we could use even less nutes for our crops, so I am going to start flushing even more often. I think the feeding schedules for all of the companies are too aggessive (surprise!).

Hope i didn't ramble too much...

Duckmang

I've used drip clean in all of my grows as the hydro store salesperson recommened the whole H/G line when I first started out. It does add nutrients but you need to realize that the dosage is .4ml/gal, thats barely a couple of drops per gallon. When I mix my nutes I don't see any measureable change in ph or ppm after adding drip clean in the recommended doseage.

I truly do believe that it negates much of the need for flushing. To prove the point to a friend we sampled some of his "cured" hydro and then cut a green bud from my grow and dried it in the oven on low heat. My green bud was noticibly smoother despite being 15 min removed from a plant that recieved no flushes.

jocat

re

re

i run the entire H & G line and use dripclean..i still flush for 3-7 days before harvest..the smoke is clean and smooth..i did leave it out for a run and couldn't tell any difference...flushed that one for a week..

Tyga

Veteran
i run the entire H & G line and use dripclean..i still flush for 3-7 days before harvest..the smoke is clean and smooth..i did leave it out for a run and couldn't tell any difference...flushed that one for a week..

Are you using @ .4ML/gal or 1ML/Gal? IME @ .4 it will only keep the drip lines clean and the medium will still have plenty of build up and def need a full out heavy duty flush.