What's new

Clear containers really bad?

G

I always use clear containers for plants right out of my cloner.....

To me its a hugely valuable tool in seeing which clones have rooted the best....

I always cull plants at every stage and without using clear containers that would be more difficult.... it also tells me when to transplant into opaque containers.....similar to GWG's plant....

Like most things there are advantages and disadvantages.....

Last edited:

jojajico

Veteran
OOglebird said:
I always use clear containers for plants right out of my cloner.....

To me its a hugely valuable tool in seeing which clones have rooted the best....

I always cull plants at every stage and without using clear containers that would be more difficult.... it also tells me when to transplant into opaque containers.....similar to GWG's plant....

Like most things there are advantages and disadvantages.....
so u keep them in clear pots until harvest?

ok heres ur science, n nature do plants have lite shining on their roots? or r they n a dark enviroment devoid of lite? think about it...anothr thing im noticin in these pics is the LACK of mycorrihizae, a fungus that helps aid n the uptake of nutrients and water. light kills fungus evn the good ones...

G

I dont really any more....

Before the days of the internet I grew sea of green in 2 liter soda bottles.....

Now I use clear containers for 2 weeks or so after the cloner..... 9 oz...

G

mr.niceguy said:
ok heres ur science, n nature do plants have lite shining on their roots? or r they n a dark enviroment devoid of lite? think about it...anothr thing im noticin in these pics is the LACK of mycorrihizae, a fungus that helps aid n the uptake of nutrients and water. light kills fungus evn the good ones...

The in nature thing doesnt work that well....

In nature plants dont go from 18-6 to 12-12 the next day.....

and that seems to work out.....

jojajico

Veteran
OOglebird said:
I dont really any more....

Before the days of the internet I grew sea of green in 2 liter soda bottles.....

Now I use clear containers for 2 weeks or so after the cloner..... 9 oz...
dud ur only using it for two weeks thats why ur not seeing the problem and again it snot going to destroy ur plant just not let u get the most out of them. cervantes is a little more than a stoner reference give the man his due he may not be a scientist but he knows what hes talking about. also ive seen pictures of green roots exposed to light.

sensirocker

You never really know whats "optimal" anyways.... there are so many factors... lets go with some experience here....

"Plants can function normally with their roots exposed to light provided they are always at 100% relative humidity. However, exposure to light will promote the growth of green algae. Algae appears as a green or brown slime on roots, plumbing, and containers. Some studies have suggested that plants sugged when their roots are exposed to light. This is probabbly due to the resulting algae growth on the surface of the root. Algae will compete for both water and nutrients, as well as oxygen. To be on the safe side, I recommend using opaque containers and avoid using transparent materials for tubing and reservoirs - dark green, blue and black work best at block stray light. Plant roots are extremely delicate and should not be handled. You will, at some point, need to transplant seedlings or cuttings to your hydroponic garden - just be gentle and keep roots wet. In the event that roots begin to obstruct proper flow and drainage in your system, you may have no choice but to adjust their position which may cause damage if you're not careful." growhydro.com

"Many people believe that the roots should not be exposed to lights.. and some even say that the plants will die if the roots are exposed to lights/... But many a seasoned farmers have witnessed first hand, plants that grow very well whilst the roots are exposed to light... aye caramba... so what's the answer?

The skinny--- When water and light mix.. anything can grow... this is the main reason YOU DON'T (DO NOT) want to expose your soil, reservoirs, water or your roots to light... fungus, algae, molds etcetera can/will free load off of your grow...

when algae grows in water (your hydro reservoir) it will take all the O2 from roots and the plants will DIE.. when gardeners use clear containers (platic cups) to grow plants, the moist soil exposed to light encourages mold and fungus growth which eventually kills your roots...

It is just NOT worth the risk... LIGHT is good for your plant.. but not for your MEDIUM..." - a very experienced grower on the rollitup forums.

"A plant can function quite well with its roots exposed to light as long as they do not dry out. However, the light encourages alga growth, which causes odors, and the alga competes with the plant for nutrients in the light period and oxygen in the dark period." - hydro empire

all of this stuff makes the most sense and is basically saying the same thing.... light to roots is not bad in the sense that it will kill them, however it will just increase your chances of growing algae which is bad bad bad.
Most importantly, theres no good reason to grow in clear containers anyways... theyre no cheaper and dont "perform" better.... black plastic bags work great and are definitely cheaper than any clear bucket.
And If seeing your plants root development is so important to you, then go hydro buckets and lift the plant up whenever you want....

-sR

Last edited:
OOglebird said:
The in nature thing doesnt work that well....

In nature plants dont go from 18-6 to 12-12 the next day.....

and that seems to work out.....

ok well wut about this part
" LACK of mycorrihizae, a fungus that helps aid n the uptake of nutrients and water. light kills fungus evn the good ones..."

nothin 2 respond 2 that eh? just stop scrimping and by some damn grow bags, there not evn that expensive!

btw, most growers should kno wut optimal is.

jojajico

Veteran
lets not make this into an argument he is well in his right to have his own opinion based on experience if experience tells him his methods works fine then good, hell great. my i just reccomend that you do a little side by side experiement and then maybe you will se improvements. again lets not turn this into a thread where we bash each other.

Well said jojajico, this thread is getting a bit hot, lets not turn it into a flame war. How each person grows is a matter of prefrence, and we can't say if a person is 'right' or 'wrong' to do a certan thing.

In my ever so humble opinion, clear containers are fine for short periods of time. Perhaps not the best, but good enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I don not think it is possible to know the 'optimum' growing enviroment. Its difficult to define, even. There are so many variables, that to understand the best situation for the plant is just beyond reach. Many of the enviromental factors play against each other, so that there is a sea-saw effect- neither value can be 'optimal' because that would throw the other off, causing more trouble.

Enviromental conditions have to be a comprimise between known factors, especialy when somethings are out of the control of the growers, like ambient temps, or the radiant heat produced by lamps. We can only do out best to avoid problems and optimize conditions, never truely knowing what is 'perfect'.

Just my ESHO
GWG

Dan42nepa

6 females in 5 gallon opague trash cans in week 7 of flower. 9 weeks total in those containers under 400 w HPS lights. Also 12 clones in 1 qt storage containers for 3 weeks also under 400w MH and fluros.. What roots were apparent were white and healthy. It could all relate to the soil and composition. I wont be using the 5 gallon containers again only because i think they were over kill and can get away with 2 gallon which arent clear. I do like the 1 qt clear containers so i can see root development. Overwatering could be a factor also.

G

I would never give up my clear containers for the plants just out of the cloner......

I dont care what anyone says......

viva la blank.......

GryphN

I totally forgot I even started this thread and I just came across it.... I figured I should mention, I did do a grow, using all clear containers.... Turned out to be my best soil grow ever... It was kinda cool being able to see the roots too :p ...

So I guess my official opinion on this is that its a myth... Maybe its a problem if you have bad growing conditions or something... but my plants didnt seem to notice one bit, if anything they liked it. :)

Anyway, nothing like waking up a 2 year old thread for no real good reason other than im stoned and bored.

Have a good day! :D
--GryphN

Che

Veteran
I have several plants in translucent containers, as well as some in naked 2L soda bottles. All of them are thriving! :)

W

Weedman Herb

Algae and fungi do grow on medium and roots that get light and they can rob the plant ... there are bacteria and fungi (mychorrhizae sp?) that are beneficial to plants that don't need light ... what's so Mythological about that? Claiming that they Like getting the clear container treatment is Moot and proves nothing IMHO ... You should have at least done a Half and Half ... and documented the grow ... you came back 2 years later with Nothing.

KUSHEATER1

well can't speak for anybody else but that I just had green roots from pots that were tinted in color have used them before with no problems but not with the intense light that I had them under this run and light did get to the bottoms of pots and I have had problems of plants just not thriving like they have before.If your roots are white and the light hasn't caused any problems then continue on but if you have had a plant stunt out the blue and you notice that the roots in the pot are green then change pots what can that hurt...

KUSHEATER1

picture.php
these