What's new

Clear containers really bad?

G

I've heard a couple people mention using clear containers is bad because roots dont like light...

Has anyone actually had a PROBLEM caused by this? I've looked all over and can't find someone with actual problems caused by using clear containers. Coulda missed it though.. haha, ADD + stoner = well, I miss things occasionally :)

Thanks!
--GryphN

G

yes root rot can be caused by it...roots are not suppose to see light

Last edited:

jojajico

Veteran
if roots are exposed to light they turn green and stop performing their function ( nutrient uptake) trust me its not a theory or a belief its fact. stay away from clear containers if you want any success growing.

NuggyBuds

jojajico is right,

I would add that clear containers will promote algee growth.
not good either.
black spray paint my friend.

beancounter

Veteran
NuggyBuds said:
jojajico is right,

I would add that clear containers will promote algee growth.
not good either.
black spray paint my friend.

^ that is the biggest concern with clear containers, algae growth.. I've vegged and flowered plants in clear containers many times before, and as long as the canopy is thick and too much light doesn't get to the sides of the container you shouldn't have ANY problems using clear containers..

root rot... highly unlikely.. caused by too much water and warm soil temps, and some other issues, but not from clear pots..

I grew out a Magical Mystery Mix freebie female in a 500ml (1/2 a qt) clear 'sour creme' style container, topped once, that gave me 22 grams dry. there was a bit of algae growth, but nothing that hurt the plant.. that is still my best ever yeild:medium ratio..

but generally, if u can help it, try not to use clear pots.. no need throwing potential algae growth into the mix if you don't have too..

I'll see if i can find some pics if people are interested..

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
this would depend on how long the plant stays in the clear container i use a green colored container 2 liter soda bottle for 1 of the vegn stages. so i dissagree that any light will hurt the roots if the exposure is just a few wks i dont see a problem.

been in there 1 wk :) they leave next wk :)

killa-bud

Veteran
i used a clear container,outdoors,didnt notice any diffrence in growth or anything(only one was in a clear container)

Dan42nepa

I used opague quart containers during veg and it was kind of nice because you could see when a plant was getting root bound. I am flowering in 5 gallon opaue white garbage cans and everything is great so far and its been 44 days

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I use clear cups in my grow with no issues.

These roots are about 3 weeks now and no issues when I TPed them.

I would not keep them in clear cups- just at the rooting stage for me.

minds_I

Well, I've been doing one part of my veg in clear 16oz cups, and I havn't noticed any problems. I'd agree that it can lead to issues, but limited exposure dosn't seem to be causing any problems. There must be some research data on this, relating to strawberries or tomatoes or something. Too big an issue to have not been someones doctoral thesis. Any ideas?

jojajico

Veteran
the reason u dont notice a difference is because the roots in the middle of the container are still in the dark so they still function as they should but the ones that are exposed to light dont function as roots they actually take on the traits of foliage, thats why they turn greee. they cant absorb water, cant absorb nutrients and so are useless. so yes the plant will survive but your not gunna get the most out of it by far. and its a stress to the plant. just like you can grow in a PH thats off you can grow with roots exposed to light but you wont get the most out of your plants.

jojajico said:
the reason u dont notice a difference is because the roots in the middle of the container are still in the dark so they still function as they should but the ones that are exposed to light dont function as roots they actually take on the traits of foliage, thats why they turn greee. they cant absorb water, cant absorb nutrients and so are useless. so yes the plant will survive but your not gunna get the most out of it by far. and its a stress to the plant. just like you can grow in a PH thats off you can grow with roots exposed to light but you wont get the most out of your plants.

very true great point.

I've never seen any of these small roots turn green while in small clear pots. I have seen exposed roots on the surface of 'soil' turn green during the flower phase, when they stay exposed for up to 75 days under intense light. I'm not saying thats its a good idea, but with the time of early veg and the relativly dimmer light of 400's or floros, I don't think it will destroy your plants.

Some pictures of my healthy white roots from a plant in a clear pot.

GWG

13681rootsinclearcup.jpg

13681rootsexposed1.jpg

13681rootsexposed2.jpg

13681rootsexposed3.jpg

G

Right on.. Thanks for all the replies. Maybe i'll wrap my containers in plastic just to be safe.. I'm using these containers for flowering plants, so i want to keep stress minimal.

Thanks again!
--GryphN

G

jojajico said:

Did you make this stuff up????

Id love to see a reference...

Ive used clear containers for years and have yet to see a green root....

I suspect the reason is that soil simply doesnt have enough oxygen below the soil to support algea growth below the soil surface.....

Last edited:

jojajico

Veteran
OOglebird said:
Did you make this stuff up????

Id love to see a reference...

Ive used clear containers for years and have yet to see a green root....

I suspect the reason is that soil simply doesnt have enough oxygen below the soil to support algea growth below the soil surface.....
page 246. marijuana horticulture

green roots: white containers reflect light and keep soil cooler. always use thick white containers so light does not penetrate and slow root growth. if roots around the outside of the root ball start turning green, you know they are recieving direct light. remedy the problem by painting the inside of the container with a non-toxic latex paint.

so if you dont want to get the most out of your plants keep it up. i never said it would kill the plant, but i dont kno about you im interested in getting the biggest yeilds possible from each plant.

G

I should have been more specific....

You are looking at stoner references....

Im talking science.....

there are lots of plants and real expertise out there.....

I didnt say you said it would kill the plant.....

Ive known lots of folks who use clear containers for at least part of the growth cycle...

The biggest thing that will damage the outer roots is being dry.....

and that happens with clear or opaque containers.....

Hey Jojajico,
that is not a mother plant. Its is only about 3 inches tall, and has just been tranplanted into soil for the first time about a week and a half ago. It will stay in that clear pot for around 2 1/2 weeks at most, then move on to a standard 1 gallon nursery pot, "can #1". I started using these clear cups about 2 months ago when I didn't have enough of the 4x4's. I will probably replace them soon with 4X4's or at least opaque cups. I just hate to throw away plastic. I have seen green roots on not pot plants growing outdoors in white pots, but I don't think 400 watt lights are bright enough to green the roots in 3 weeks.

Perhaps I'm losing a bit of yield, yeah, but not a lot. I'd like too see some studys on how much damage green roots cause the plant. I know its a big issue for root crops like carrots and potatoes, where green 'roots' mean no sale.

Anyway, I suppose its best to say that its bad, but we don't want to be using dare tactics... "clear pots will kill your shit!" then it dosn't and people are like, "hmm, I wonder if I can fertalize with used motor oil...."
hehehe..
GWG

Latest posts

Latest posts