What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chocolate Thai Revival

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Zandar

Like Idiit I recommend peeling off the embryonic case around the seed embryo .
That`s where your seeds are stalling . The case is too dry and tight / tough for the radical to burst open . The seeds are using their stored energy trying to bust out of the skin .

I`ve seen this sprout a tail then stop ,plenty of times with old seeds . Teeth - then soak . Then when the tail appears split the shell and some surgery on the embryo case . Then the success rate rises significantly .
If you keep looking for the survival of the fittest I predict you are going to see the majority die .
That little help casting off / bursting the seed case makes a huge difference .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

B

bringyalungs

ooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm....... ooooohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm.... sending positive vibes your way man.... I pray that it works Z....

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx Only Ornamental.

The tests are interesting and I like to test out different theories.

Hello Elmer

I have in the past removed the embryo sack and seeds have germed.
I think all the seeds I showed were past breaking out of the shell and embryo though.
Hard to see in some pics, but I can see the sack left in the shell.

Have been soaking the seeds overnight in pure water and placing into soil after about one day.
None have come up and most have been in soil for a week or more. So I think all we can do is wait on these.

All interesting info and will try something different on the next ones.

So... Those seeds cracked, showed root tips and stopped, right? So far you don`t have a single healthy seedling? Sanding good vibes for you man and hope for the best. :D

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nothing up from first batch. Took more out from fridge and placed directly into soil.
Never have a problem with seed, but these are not doing much.
Just waiting to see if anything comes up from this.

Here is what works for me.
Soak in water for 48 hours.
Check seeds every 6 hours after the first 24 Hours.
When you see the seed popped a tail take that seed out.
Place in dirt or rockwool and 24-48 Hours later you have seedlings.

As long as you have viable seeds.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's what I did first time and no go.
This time I just put them in soil and wait.
Soil is moist and what will be, will be.

neongreen

Veteran
I think you will need to pull out all the stops if you want any of these to germ. I would go with the GA3 soak, and then when they are in the soil a light spray of the soil surface (just enough to soak down to the seed) with dilute H2O2. I know you want to be organic, but it will kill anything that could harm your seedlings, and afterwards it is converted to water and oxygen without leaving any harmful residue like a fungicide might.

Good luck. Hope you have some success!

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was thinking about using first H2o2 diluted before seed germs and then soak in a light food.
Next time I will do this. Not sure if GA will germ them quicker or just screw them up.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you go to build a soil online and order their aloe powder and coconut powder that will help also you could use Seed Sprout Tea which will give the plant the enzymes also... you could even get some raw hemp seeds in their hull still and make a seed tea with them.

anyways, tagging the thread so I can read through the whole thing later... cool beans!

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx Koondense

Mycorrhizal Fungi sounds interesting to use on plants. See what I can find in my area for this.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Removing Shell

Removing Shell

Seeds have been soaking, but some shells are not cracked yet.
I scuff and remove one half of the shell. Some look alive, while others look brown and dead.
Removing both halves of the shell risks damaging the embryo and is not necessary.
They are placed into a container with small amount of organic food and here we can see if the embryo will grow.

Attachments

• CT.jpg
    CT.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 18

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Was thinking about using first H2o2 diluted before seed germs and then soak in a light food.
Next time I will do this. Not sure if GA will germ them quicker or just screw them up.
There's no need to use H2O2 or gibberellins because these mainly break seed dormancy and your seeds don't need that. They show their radicle which means they have germinated. What they don't do is grow. H2O2 won't do much, if it doesn't hurt and GA is super risky when applied directly to the embryo.
if you go to build a soil online and order their aloe powder and coconut powder that will help also you could use Seed Sprout Tea which will give the plant the enzymes also... you could even get some raw hemp seeds in their hull still and make a seed tea with them.
Not sure what aloe should do (allegedly, it cures cancer and lets you live forever :D ) but coconut water (the real nearly clear liquid out of the interior of green nuts, not that cheap white mush made out of coconut pulp!) might work well because it's rich in cytokinins and several readily embryo available nutrients. For that very reason it's still in use in in vitro plant culture. Just keep it very clean and change it daily, else mould and bacteria will grow in it super fast (but before you see that, you will find that the seedlings turned liquid...).
Seed sprout tea made of hemp seeds sounds like a good trial as well! Though, barley sprout tea didn't work on my seeds which had the very same problem of germinating but not growing. Anyway, it certainly is a better thing to try than hydrogen peroxide or hormones.
Anyone know what kind of sugar or how to mix the sugar water?
As I said earlier, go with table sugar (sucrose) or glucose at 0.1-1% in plain water or even better combined with B vitamins (B1, 3, and 6 each at about 1 ppm or alternatively a whole spectrum vitamin B and pseudo-vitamin B complex including adenine, inosine, and choline). Maybe try two or three different concentrations separately on a few seeds? And again, change it daily!

Bona Fortuna

@ ornamental: I never knew cholines were vitamin b analogues. Interesting. Also interesting that you seem to have literal experience feeding your plants with it. Hahaa, couldn't resist that last bit. Cheers!

OO is the man. my suggestion on sugar would be one that hasnt been washed and bleached. preferably a raw sugar that is still a bit brown from the molasses

Latest posts

Latest posts