What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitosan

Biologist

I'll try to answer my own question a little. I added foliar chitosan oligosaccharide (200 ppm) to my regalia (1 oz/ gallon) spray regimen the past two weeks. I believe it is making my buds look kind of strange and empty with long thick hairs. I'm on week 5 and don't remember them looking like this before, but I can't be certain. Maybe I've overstimulated the plants. I don't remember any weirdness coming in until I added the chitosan to the regalia regimen. I'm thinking of just dropping the chitosan for now. As far as I know, in speaking with the company scientists, regalia stimulates both SAR and ISR defense pathways, so it may be that I didn't need anything else and overdid it. Buds are very frosty though lol. I just worry about losing yield if I keep doing both.

BubbaBear

Even over using Regalia by it self will result in a reduced yield they talk about it in there literature. I've experienced it from over using Bud factor X also. You definitely dont want to over do it with these products. Try a Triacontanol salicylic acid cocktail it seems to be the best for yield and quality.

mexweed

Veteran
insect frass is what to use for quality, I aerate it for 24 hours and water with it, I didn't like what it did to the soil composition it sort of compacted in spots even though I mixed it well and those spots would end up not holding water because of the silica content

shaggyballs

Veteran
Has anyone ever sprayed Regalia (has resveratrol which stimulates SAR response) and chitosan together? I currently spray with Regalia but wonder about using chitosan as well. Just wondering if they do the same thing or enhance one another or even negatively interact.

The do different things but effect stress in a similar fashion.
Try cutting down on the solution strength.
Too much chitosan/ stress response will cause loss of yield.
Combine more than one source and stress goes into overdrive.
This will cause more loss of yield.

My suggestion
Use the regalia when you need to for protection.
Add chitosan if you need more stress response.

Good luck
Shag

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
The do different things but effect stress in a similar fashion.
Try cutting down on the solution strength.
Too much chitosan/ stress response will cause loss of yield.
Combine more than one source and stress goes into overdrive.
This will cause more loss of yield.

My suggestion
Use the regalia when you need to for protection.
Add chitosan if you need more stress response.

Good luck
Shag

Wait a second.

Last season i fed my plants almost exclusively with insect frass tea and rabbit manure topdresses.

I was using a ton of frass, yet my plants were all pretty small. Do you think the overload of chitin was the problem?

Also, should I not mix it in with soil at all if I'm trying to innoculate with mycos and microbes?

Holy shit...

mexweed

Veteran
insect frass has microbes in it too and if the chitin in it cancelled them out like that it wouldn't work as fertilizer

mexweed

Veteran
I wouldn't go above the recommended dosage on the bag, and I would continue to use it as a tea vs mixing in the soil, I would find something more complete than rabbit manure to mix into the soil and water with the tea

the bag I have says up to 1/2 cup per gallon water for a root drench, personally I feel the 1/2 cup would be a pretty hot tea especially if there is stuff mixed in the soil it is working with

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I wouldn't go above the recommended dosage on the bag, and I would continue to use it as a tea vs mixing in the soil, I would find something more complete than rabbit manure to mix into the soil and water with the tea

the bag I have says up to 1/2 cup per gallon water for a root drench, personally I feel the 1/2 cup would be a pretty hot tea especially if there is stuff mixed in the soil it is working with

My soil has rabbit manure, goat manure, and earthworm castings (and also frass from previous years) mixed in. Also lime and a little gypsum.

I was under the impression that frass, like all of the above, was a cold manure. My thinking has been to put a bunch of cold manures into my native soil, that way plants won't burn but will have all they need.

I've been right about the not burning part, but my plants also weren't very big (though there are several reasons for this).

In any case, I haven't put more frass into the soil this year, and I'll stick to your recommendation of only using it as a tea. Thanks!

I just wanted to be sure it wasn't gonna kill microbes.

dramamine

Chitosan adds frost at the expense of flower production.

I've been using a chitosan product called Beyond, and I've gotten heavy foxtailing in certain plants. No real loss of yield, but I notice a woody, tannic flavor on the exhale in the smoke of those individuals. Not sure why or what else may be in the product, but I'm not gonna be using it anymore.

Biologist

I've been using a chitosan product called Beyond, and I've gotten heavy foxtailing in certain plants. No real loss of yield, but I notice a woody, tannic flavor on the exhale in the smoke of those individuals. Not sure why or what else may be in the product, but I'm not gonna be using it anymore.

Dramamine what dose did you use? I definitely want to avoid any weird flavors.

Seems Beyond is 0.25% Chitosan but has some other stuff in there too.

http://customhydronutrients.com/chi...ll-natural-plant-amendment-1-fl-oz-p-858.html

dramamine

Dramamine what dose did you use? I definitely want to avoid any weird flavors.

Seems Beyond is 0.25% Chitosan but has some other stuff in there too.

https://customhydronutrients.com/ch...ll-natural-plant-amendment-1-fl-oz-p-858.html

I'm in coco, so I used their recommended rate for hydro, 5-15ml per 10 gallons. I went with 5 per. I was using it continuously, which may be where I went wrong. I'll probably try it again, but use it less often. I run perpetual, so it's complicated to cut stuff out after a certain point.

I'm really curious now what else is in it, too.

Bio boy

What about the charge stuff and the ecothrive coco.

I use eco thrive coco pebbles 40coco 60 pebbles.

Am sure they have chittin in from the meal worm frass

Ecothrive Charge has another special and quite unique benefit for plants. It contains derivatives of chitin,also seems to be an ingredient in mega crop
And rui has reports of said foxtailing and lesser yields

Last edited:

Rurumo

Has anyone here had any experience with Hyshield, it's made by Sipco and I believe is 1% Chitosan. They recommend 1-2 ml/l for the entire grow. I'm just curious how this dosage would match up with what the experts in this thread have experienced? I've used Chitosan in the past as an anti-fungal but was unaware that it is used to increase frostiness.

Rurumo

I'm terrible at math, but if the product contains 1% chitosan, then I would need to add 1 ml per 100 ml of water to get 100 ppm, is that correct? So...that would be about 37 ml per gallon? Strange that their recommended dosage is 8 ml per gallon. I've read through this entire thread, but I'd appreciate any insight you might have as to dosage for root drench and for foliar-foliar would be for fungal prevention. I will also be adding some to my seed soak.

What about the charge stuff and the ecothrive coco.

I use eco thrive coco pebbles 40coco 60 pebbles.

Am sure they have chittin in from the meal worm frass

Ecothrive Charge has another special and quite unique benefit for plants. It contains derivatives of chitin,also seems to be an ingredient in mega crop
And rui has reports of said foxtailing and lesser yields

That is my question as well. Without thinking it very well, I used Ecothrive Charge as the main ingredient in my organic soil mix. I used like close to 3 cups/7.5 gallons due to its low N-P-K content. I planted autoflowers straight into those pots (covering the top 1 gallon with ready soil-Biobizz All Mix- to give time to the mix I made to "cook").

Since I used Ecothrive Charge as my main fert for the soil mix I keep wondering if that leads to really excessive concentrations of Chitosan. I even made a thread about my practice in the Organic Soil sub-forum.

Another thing that troubles me is that Ecothrive Charge supposedly releases ferts for just 1 month...? By the time the plants reach the surface of my soil mix about 1 month will have passed. Let's see, they are close to 3 weeks now. I think I will also send a mail to Ecothrive to learn more.

Latest posts

Latest posts