What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitosan

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
UV-C does damage most molecules given enough time ;) . More precise information may be found in THIS publication where hour-long irradiation lead to marked de-polymerisation (=degradation).

King Rat

Opinions are diametrical. many talk about the inefficiency of chitosan:tiphat:

great you are saying that - recently i've read a study about using a chitosan treatment on potatoes side by side which are yearly prone to a certain disease or fungi.

conclusion was the yield was the same and nearly everything else plus they weren't more resistant to that fungi same as the side with no treatment

kalopatchkid

Veteran
great you are saying that - recently i've read a study about using a chitosan treatment on potatoes side by side which are yearly prone to a certain disease or fungi.

conclusion was the yield was the same and nearly everything else plus they weren't more resistant to that fungi same as the side with no treatment

But arent most cannabis growers using chitosan for different reasons i.e. increased trichome/terpene production and not necessarily to increase yield or as a fungicide?

picalin

As far as I know, neither chitin nor chitosan is contained in cannabis, so the mechanism of chitosan action is not entirely clear. Only if as food for bacteria in the root zone. Don't know, sounds so fantastic.
imho, of couse:tiphat:

beta

Veteran
As far as I know, neither chitin nor chitosan is contained in cannabis, so the mechanism of chitosan action is not entirely clear. Only if as food for bacteria in the root zone. Don't know, sounds so fantastic.
imho, of couse:tiphat:

You should probably do more research before you spread bad info. Chitosan is effective because the exoskeletons of many insects contain it. When plants 'sense' chitosan, they're sensing that they're under attack by pests - Hence the SAR response.

Does using chitosan and like aloe become counter intuitive by triggering these responses? I believe earlier in the thread said it would decrease yield because it will create more the plants defensive mechanisms(trichomes) and not gain mass.

SecondAttempt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100g-Chitosan-Oligosaccharide-water-soluble-agriculture-plant-bloom-Nutrients-/183460922256?txnId=2007165355008&redirect=mobile

Read the thread twice.. any opinion on the quality of this product.. molecular weight under 2000 I believe. Says agriculture grade.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Was wondering if chitosan would harm ogbiowar. I wanted to put it in the mix either when brewing or after brewed...

nickman

Veteran
I’ve been using insect frass which has chiton in it...

I’ve been using anywhere from a half of a cup to a full cup per cubic foot of soil...!!!...

As said before Lobster Compost and stuff like crab meal has chiton in it as well...!!!...

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Chitosan has antimicrobial properties but Im not sure what effect it would have at the recommend dosage of 200ppm. I'd keep em separate just to be safe since they are both pricey.
Also, you dont need to apply chitosan very often or very heavily. Just a light coating of the leaves is all it takes to get the desired plant response. I believe it is best to apply after majority of bulking is done in flower or it can impact your yields.

Biologist

Has anyone ever sprayed Regalia (has resveratrol which stimulates SAR response) and chitosan together? I currently spray with Regalia but wonder about using chitosan as well. Just wondering if they do the same thing or enhance one another or even negatively interact.