What's new

Chief Bigsmoke's Fantasy Factory

chief bigsmoke

Roots
Source: Robinson Library: http://www.robinsonlibrary.com/science/botany/anatomy/roots.htm

The root is one of the first parts of a plant that starts to grow. A primary root develops from a plant's seed and quickly produces branches called secondary roots. At the tip of each root is a rootcap that protects the delicate tip as it pushes through the soil. Threadlike root hairs grow farther back on the root. These hairs greatly increase the plant's ability to absorb water and minerals from the soil.

Kinds of Roots
There are two main kinds of root systems -- fibrous and taproot. Grass is an example of a plant with a fibrous root system. It has many slender roots of about the same size that spread out in all directions. A plant with a taproot system has one root that is larger than the rest. Carrots and radishes have taproots. Taproots grow straight down, some as deep as 15 feet.
roottypes.gif
Some plants have modified roots that perform special functions. Roots that grow from the stem above the ground are called adventitious roots. They include the prop roots of corn and certain other plants. Prop roots grow down into the soil from the lower part of the stem and help brace the plant agains the wind. Some species of orchids and other plants that live on tree branches send out aerial roots, which cling to the branches. Aerial roots absorb water and minerals from the surface of the tree and from the air. Mistletoe is one of the few plants with roots that penetrate the limbs of a tree. These roots, called sinkers, absorb food, water, and minerals directly from the tree.
roottip.gif
Parts of a Root
The Root Tip. A root grows in length from an area at its apex (tip). This growth area is called the apical meristem. A meristem is any part of a plant where the cells divide rapidly, forming new cells continually. The apical meristem is covered by the root cap, a thimble-shaped group of cells. The root cap protects the delicate root tip from damage as the root grows in length and the tip pushes through the soil.

The cells produced by the apical meristem are all small and nearly identical. In the region of elongation, the cells rapidly grow longer. Farther back lies the region of maturation, where the cells differentiate -- that is, take on a different structure and appearance according to their functions in the mature root.

The Outer Tissues. The outer layer of cells of a root is called the epidermis. It serves as a sort of skin and protects the tissues beneath. Tiny, hairlike extensions called root hairs grow from the epidermis. The root hairs absorb most of the water and minerals that a plant takes in from the soil.

A thick layer of rounded cells called the cortex lies just inside the epidermis. These cells contain stored food and water. The inner layer of cells of the cortex make up the endodermis.

rootparts2.gif
The Core, or stele, is the central portion of the root. Its outer layer of cells is called the pericycle. Inside the pericycle are two kinds of tissues, xylem and phloem. Xylem includes rows of dead, tubular cells called vessels, which conduct water and minerals up to the stem and leaves. Phloem consists largely of rows of long, living cells called sieve tubes. These cells transport food down from the leaves for use or storage by the root.

Secondary Tissues. All the tissues described above are known as primary tissues. Many plants that live just one year have only primary tissues in their roots. But other plants, especially those that live more than one year, have secondary tissues in their roots in addition to primary tissues. The growth of primary tissue adds to the length of a root. The development of secondary tissue adds to its thickness. Secondary-tissue growth produces the large, brown, woody roots in trees, shrubs, and other plants that live for many years.

Secondary tissues develop from two meristems. One, called the cork cambium, originates beneath the epidermis, generally in the pericycle. It produces cork cells and pushes them toward the outside of the root. As the cork expands outward, the endodermis, cortex, and epidermis die and peel off. The cork replaces them and becomes the outer covering of the root. The other secondary meristem, the cambium, lies between the primary xylem and the primary phloem. It produces secondary xylem cells toward the center of the root, and secondary phloem cells toward the outside.

Attachments

• rootparts.gif
    rootparts.gif
    26 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

chief bigsmoke

chief bigsmoke

Parts of a seed

Parts of a seed

Seed Parts
Source: Robinson Library: http://www.robinsonlibrary.com/science/botany/anatomy/seedparts.htm

There are two main types of seeds -- naked and enclosed. All cone-bearing plants have naked, or uncovered, seeds. The seeds of these plants develop on the upper side of the scales that form their cones. All flowering plants have seeds enclosed by an ovary. The ovaries of such plants as apples, berries, and
grapes develop into a fleshy fruit. In other plants, including beans and peas, the ovaries form a dry fruit. Still other plants have aggregate fruits. Each tiny section of an aggregate fruit, such as a raspberry, develops from a separate ovary and has its own seed.
seeds.gif

Seeds consists of three main parts: (1) the seed coat, (2) the embryo, and (3) the endosperm. The seed coat, or outer skin, protects the embryo, which contains all the parts needed to form a new plant. The endosperm nourishes the embryo until it can make its own food. The endosperm of a monocot contains one cotyledon, and that of a dicot has two cotyledons.

chief bigsmoke

Parts of a stem

Parts of a stem

Stems
Source: Robinson Library: http://www.robinsonlibrary.com/science/botany/anatomy/stems.htm

make up the largest parts of some kinds of plants. For example, the trunk, branches, and twigs of trees are all stems. Other plants, such as
cabbage and lettuce, have such short stems and large leaves that they appear to have no stems at all. The stems of still other plants, including potatoes, grow partly underground.
stemparts.gif
stemparts2.gif
Most stems suport the leaves and flowers of plants. The stems hold these parts up in the air so they can receive sunlight. Stems also carry water and minerals from the roots to the leaves, and they carry food from the leaves to the other parts of the plant. The cells that carry water make up what is called the xylem tissue of a plant. Cells that transport food form the plant's phloem tissue.
Stems that grow above ground are called aerial stems, and those underground are known as subterranean. Aerial stems are either woody or herbaceous. Plants with woody stems include trees and shrubs. These plants are rigid because they contain large amounts of woody xylem tissue. Most herbaceous stems are soft and green because they contain only small amounts of xylem tissue.
Many common flowers sprout from underground stems. Some of these subterranean stems are rootlike structures called bulbs, corms, rhizomes, or tubers. Jonquils, lilies, and tulips grow from bulbs, crocus and gladiolus plants from corms. Many grasses and wild flowers grow from rhizomes, which are long and slender and spread horizontally. Tubers, such as those of the familiar potato plant, are shorter and thicker.
At the tip of each stem or twig is a terminal bud. When these buds grow, the plant grows taller. Other buds, called lateral buds, form farther back along the stem. Some of these buds grow into branches, and other become leaves or flowers. The place at which a lateral bud forms is called a node. Tiny leaflike coverings known as bud scales protect the growing ends of some buds.

World Book Encyclopedia. Chicago:World Book-Childcraft International, Inc., 1979.

chief bigsmoke

Inside a green leaf

Inside a green leaf

Inside a Green Leaf
Source: Robinson Library: http://www.robinsonlibrary.com/science/botany/anatomy/insideleaf.htm

The cross section below shows the many structures of a leaf blade. Palisade and spongy cells serve as food producers. In the veins, xylem tissue distributes water, and phloem tissue carries away food. Stomata (pores) on the underside of the blade enable gases to enter and leave the leaf. Guard cells regulate the amount of carbon dioxide and water vapor that pass through a stoma. The stomata are usually open while the leaf is making food.

insideleaf.gif

chief bigsmoke

Cheesedog Photos

Cheesedog Photos

Just past week 7 and the Cheesedogs are starting to plump up. This round I plan on taking them as long as possible. For curiosity sake and the fact that last round I harvested them for a very clear and stimulating high. This round I would like to harvest with a bit more "stone". They seem to have a lot higher resin production than last round. They feel like little bricks with fat disc cells polka-dotting their entire surface. They still have the old soil recipe with a late application of clover and grass.

All I can ask is an improvement from last round :p With the new soil recipe I assume the third round will be even better.
:blowbubbles:

Happy Growing!

Chief

PS I'm heading to the island for the rest of the week to go play(work) on my snowboard. :skiiing: I wish you all a very happy weekend. I hope you have even more fun than me. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9771.JPG
    IMG_9771.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 11

chief bigsmoke

Photo Update

Photo Update

I'm back from a snowboard clinic on the island and I've got some new photos to share. I love watching how each species grow in their own special ways. It makes me so happy to be able to grow and share knowledge.

Life is good people. reeeeaaaaal good

:greenstars:

photos of Grandaddy Haze 1:

Attachments

• IMG_9856.JPG
    IMG_9856.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 14

chief bigsmoke

Cheesedog

Cheesedog

The dogs are stankin' and swellin'

My girlfriend is going to cheese her brains out... :p

:bis:

Attachments

• IMG_9867.JPG
    IMG_9867.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9868.JPG
    IMG_9868.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 13

chief bigsmoke

JUST FOR FUN

JUST FOR FUN

I am not a painter, nor am I skilled in any way. haha but I painted a small picture for my plants. I was inspired to give them something for all their sacrifices they've made during my "learning" phase. :) I used old leaves from my first cycle and I included some symbols that are important to me: The three stars in orions belt, the infinity symbol, the anishinabe nation symbol and it covers a medicine wheel and it incorporates the four colours and directions.

:dance013:

I'm sure there are more whacky growers like me who paint or draw pictures to their plants... bump* any fellow growers who like to give offerings to your plants feel free to share any stories...

:artist:

Attachments

• IMG_9875.JPG
    IMG_9875.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 12

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey bro those ladies are looking amazing, lots of frost on them and some serious weight piling on too.....the Cheesedog looks like she is gonna give you a great yield.
Thanks for sharing, peace.

chief bigsmoke

Dec.13 Update

Dec.13 Update

The photo updates will be pouring in in the next couple of weeks if these girls continue to look so damn fine... ;P If only the smell-o-visionbutton worked.

The Grandaddy Haze's smell wicked. Both phenos: the thin branched and the thick branched pheno both smell like what I thought the Grandaddy Purps would. It smells like a candy fruity musky/skunk. The smell lingers and is becoming very prominent. The thin branched pheno looks like it will produce very tight lifesavor style buds. The first signs of purple are showing and I expect this one to have great bag appeal. If I were to guess, I'de say the thicker branched pheno will have noticeably larger yield. It's important to note that the thinner stem did suffer from a bought of fungus gnats introduced through some G.D Sea Soil. I've since treated the soil twice with Bacillus. I'll post some info on bacillus soon. they are wicked nasty little helpers.
headbanger.gif

The Cheesedogs are a whole story all together. This pheno is looking even better the second time around. Each flower when touched has a light-fruity baby bum cream smell, but as soon as you squeeze it a little harder, a very strong fruity-chem-skunk smell smacks you deep in your nose. A very unique smell. Rock hard buds. TrueCanaabliss mentioned that it will be a yielder and I'm going to have to agree. I did do better than last time and hopefully I'll do even better on the next round. fingers crossed.

jump.gif
photos go: thick branched GDH, thin GDH and then Cheesedog

Attachments

• IMG_9887.JPG
    IMG_9887.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9884.JPG
    IMG_9884.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9882.JPG
    IMG_9882.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9878.JPG
    IMG_9878.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 15

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking killer bro

yeah def grandaddy dominant from those pics

and the cheesedog wow bro you got some serious greenthumb

peace

chief bigsmoke

Photo update

Photo update

This will be week 8 for the Grandaddy Haze's and week 9 for the Cheesedog.

:thank you:

Will the Haze's taste exactly how they smell? lets hope so... They are GDP dom so I don't expect them to be a yielder, just a tasty aromatic smoke.

mmmm goood

Attachments

• IMG_9908.JPG
    IMG_9908.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9909.JPG
    IMG_9909.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9906.JPG
    IMG_9906.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9905.JPG
    IMG_9905.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9904.JPG
    IMG_9904.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9902.JPG
    IMG_9902.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9901.JPG
    IMG_9901.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9900.JPG
    IMG_9900.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9898.JPG
    IMG_9898.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9899.JPG
    IMG_9899.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 15

chief bigsmoke

Strawberry Alien Kush and MK ULTRA

Strawberry Alien Kush and MK ULTRA

Quick photos of some up and coming plants in the perpetual.

Photos: SAK, SAK, MK and SAK

The strawberry Alien Kush no shit.. smells like strawberries and cherries. holy crap...

Attachments

• IMG_9910.JPG
    IMG_9910.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9912.JPG
    IMG_9912.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9911.JPG
    IMG_9911.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9917.JPG
    IMG_9917.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
those SAK look sick... i bet that bud in the last pic swells up real nice... fuck my og tops dont get bigger than 5-6 grams dried... good thing it branches like a whore... could be a nice keeper in them seeds...

i once was here but now im not i went somewhere to smoke some pot if im gone way to long tell kyle he can have my bong.

chief bigsmoke

Photo update

Photo update

The Grandaddy Hazes are maturing nicely. Exciting days

:trampoline:

Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_9919.jpg
    IMG_9919.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9921.jpg
    IMG_9921.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9925.jpg
    IMG_9925.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9928.jpg
    IMG_9928.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9929.jpg
    IMG_9929.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9931.jpg
    IMG_9931.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9935.jpg
    IMG_9935.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 12
nice one dude looks like we might have same harvest time... week or two?

what is the total flower time on that pheno of yours?

looks stanky danky yup

chief bigsmoke

nice one dude looks like we might have same harvest time... week or two?

what is the total flower time on that pheno of yours?

looks stanky danky yup

Overall they are supposed to go from 8-11 weeks depending on the pheno. I think I have two short phenos though.

The skiiny branched gdp dom haze will be done in a week and the thicker branched gpd dom haze will be another 2 weeks or so. They just reak of "purple". A very intoxicating smell.

Later tonight I am harvesting the Cheesedog... :)

Latest posts

Latest posts