What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chief Bigsmoke's Fantasy Factory

chief bigsmoke

taggin along Chief...good vibez on the grow! lookin forward to seeing more of those grandaddy hazes...i just smoked the last of mine and gonna have to get more seeds soon lol. peace

glad to hear you gobbled yours up... The word on the street is that the gpd haze's are straight delicious. congrats to csg. nice banner btw haha Its clear what team you're on. :)

S

SeaMaiden

Damn near everything you're doing with this grow is new to me. I'll be watching!

Epiphyte

Nice Thread....I can't wait to follow this one...

I use GO also...I use a couple other supplements...I find that Molasses and a high Phos fert benefits the GO regiment.. I use Age old bloom stimulant but bud swell is also a great phos additive.
Good luck with everything
Phyte

chief bigsmoke

Nice Thread....I can't wait to follow this one...

I use GO also...I use a couple other supplements...I find that Molasses and a high Phos fert benefits the GO regiment.. I use Age old bloom stimulant but bud swell is also a great phos additive.
Good luck with everything
Phyte

Great advice Epiphyte! I found it lacking a little Potassium. So I havce been adding more kelp meal and greensand. Overall I love the stuff. I find it very easy to supplement my soil mix. It's basically the same products I'm using in my soil but in a more solulable form. Plus Adam from GH gave me the run down on the ROOT nute and its works really well. I also love the big humic acid bottle. I still haven't made a dent in most of the bottles. on ly the humic and the cal mag have seen a noticeable decrease.

good stuff in my books, but my book is pretty short. ha :)

Thanks for tuning in!

:rtfo:

chief bigsmoke

Daily knowledge drop

Daily knowledge drop

In attempts to continue my hort studies I have decided to try and share as much of the relative knowledge as possible. Today's daily lesson is on plant growth regulators.

To properly understand why and how a plant can do cool things like lean towards light or regulate its own height etc. Here are a list of the growth regulators that are relative to Cannabis sativa L.

ENJOY!

:lurk:

Growth Regulators. Info on Abscisic Acid (ABA):

Abscisic Acid is involved in leaf fall (absciccion), and in inducing bud and seed dormancy.

ABA production causes leaves to drop in the autumn, or when the plant is under stress such as drought, nutrient starvation, and flood. This is an important survival mechanism for plants since they are unable to obtain sufficient water or nutrients under these stressful conditions. If the leaves stayed on the plant, water loss and the demand for nutrients would eventually kill it. By having the leaves drop off, the plant may be able to survive until the stress conditions ends.

As days get shorter, ABA is synthesized in the leaves and moves through the vascular system to the buds, triggering them to stop growing and become dormant.

Growth Regulators. Info on Auxins:

Auxins induce cell division and elongation in a localized area.

Apical dominance exhibited by growing shoots prevents the lateral shoots from growing more vigorously than the main leader or apex of the plant.

Cells on one side of the stem may grow at a different rate than on the other to cause a bending of the plant towards the light eg phototropism *That is why I have a 2 stage plant rotation: it keeps the plants low to the ground.

Also in cell tissue culture, auxins promote the formation of roots.

Growth Regulators. Info on Cytokinins

Cytokinins promote cell division and the formation of the plant organs such as leaves and fruit.

Cytokinins prevents senescence from occuring by stimulating cell division and plant growth.

In cell tissue, cytokinin promotes cell division and the development of buds.

Growth Regulators. Info of Gibberellins

Gibberelins function in the overall growth and elongation of plants. They also play a role in breaking seed dormancy and inducing plants to flower.

In low light situations, seedlings stretch and internode elongation occurs toward the light source.

Using Products like Bushmaster retards the growth by inhibiting the production of Gibberellin within the plant. I do not reccomend using bushmaster due to its sketchy ingredients.

:shooty:

Relative Articles:
Not Just Another Brick in the (Plant Cell) Wall

ScienceDaily (June 17, 2011) — In a new study revealing key steps for controlling plant growth, researchers have shown how the assembly of components of the plant cell wall regulates growth of root hairs. Root hairs are important structures that allow plants to absorb essential nutrients and water from the soil. The research will assist in contributing to the sustainability of plant-based industries such as, agriculture, horticulture and forestry.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110617110626.htm

Fast Growth, Low Defense -- Plants Facing a Dilemma

ScienceDaily (Jan. 28, 2011) — Plants are attacked by a multitude of insects and mammals. As defense against these herbivores they developed complex defense mechanisms over the course of evolution: spines, thorns, leaf hairs and a number of toxic chemical substances. For decades it has been controversially discussed whether the production of defense traits incurs costs to the plants.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110128104238.htm

The Sweet Growth of Plant Cells

ScienceDaily (June 16, 2011) — In a new study revealing key steps for controlling plant growth, researchers have shown how the assembly of components of the plant cell wall regulates growth of root hairs.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110616193629.htm

Unlocking the Secrets of a Plant’s Light Sensitivity

ScienceDaily (Dec. 13, 2010) — Plants are very sensitive to light conditions because light is their source of energy and also a signal that activates the special photoreceptors that regulate growth, metabolism, and physiological development. Scientists believe that these light signals control plant growth and development by activating or inhibiting plant hormones. New research from Carnegie plant biologists has altered the prevailing theory on how light signals and hormones interact. Their findings could have implications for food crop production.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101213163847.htm

How Plants Counteract Against the Shade of Larger Neighbours

ScienceDaily (Dec. 17, 2010) — Plants that "lose the battle" during competitiveness for light because they are shaded by larger neighbours, counteract. They adapt by rapid shoot elongation and stretch their leaves towards the sun. The molecular basis of this so-called shade avoidance syndrome had been unclarified to date. Research scientists from the Utrecht University in the Netherlands and the Ruhr University in Bochum have now been able to unravel a regulation pathway.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101217152518.htm

Adjustable Valves Gave Ancient Plants the Edge

ScienceDaily (June 9, 2011) — Controlling water loss is an important ability for modern land plants as it helps them thrive in changing environments. New research from the University of Bristol, published June 9 in the journal Current Biology, shows that water conserving innovations occurred very early in plants' evolutionary history.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110609122927.htm

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

G

Guest 150314

Looks good so far. Thanks for posting the info about those PGR's, interesting read.

You gotta ditch the perlite I swear you will never go back. It's so dusty and gets everywhere when mixing big batches, not very nice to work with.

I have 100 bails worth of the peat/rice husk mix, got a bud heading up your way soon I'll send a few bags up if you want any.

chief bigsmoke

Looks good so far. Thanks for posting the info about those PGR's, interesting read.

You gotta ditch the perlite I swear you will never go back. It's so dusty and gets everywhere when mixing big batches, not very nice to work with.

I have 100 bails worth of the peat/rice husk mix, got a bud heading up your way soon I'll send a few bags up if you want any.

Done and Done! you know I was thinking about doing a post today where I was going to talk about my dream of using your recommended peat/ricehusk mix. You must be reading my mind. :)

I'll be introducing some new genetics through a trusted mentor in a week or two. Perhaps the perfect opportunity to make the switch to peat/rice and ditch the perlite. Having a cat that eats everything off the floor, it always makes me nervous having perlite lying around. I don't actually know if it would be dangerous I can only assume that it would cause blockages etc. Plus rice husk is a wiser choice through and through.

I'll see you on the mountain soon bro!

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
hy bro, first i say thanks for share this infinite good information bro..your knowledge are just high as we can see here ..much appreciate grower!!
be safe !!!!

prince kali

very happy to find someone growing with a horticultural science background and a more complete look at the plant as well as life in general.
a more holistic approach so to speak.

looking very much forward to follow your thread!
:tiphat:

S

SeaMaiden

Another vote for rice hulls here.

However, something you posted caught my eye and to me it absolutely requires attention, and that is the disease-based reasoning used for avoiding animal byproduct meals. I have had this discussion, or debate, with person, it got heated and I would say I got a 'rize' out of him. It lies solely in the assertion tha mad cow disease has been contracted by the use of bone and blood meals, and at this point, unless you are able to provide papers, verifiable, documented proof of this assertion, I suggest not fomenting bad information in this manner. Especially since you're discussing this grow in terms of using a scientific perspective. I have thus far been completely and entirely unable to find good supporting evidence to support the assertions being made.

While the other reasons offered for going veganic are sound and reasonable, diseases such as Creutzfeld-Jakob's is, to my mind, not at all well established.

I have another question as well, about water memories. Does water remember when it was a comet? I mean, seeing as how all earth's water came from outer space, most likely via comets, does it remember that?

wud up Smoke!!

sick thread man, your grow looks pretty on point!

I fell a couple weeks behind with my babies, but I wanna get you one of my OG's... hopefully in a couple weeks again....

i got some new genetics coming thru... your strawberry alien sounds interesting....

take care, lets smoke one soon.

cg

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
really great thread, embodies alot of what i want to become as an organic grower in the near future, will be tagging along without a doubt.
+1 for rice hulls too, im making the switch myself as soon as i source some around here...

i have to ask though, since i didnt see it mentioned yet... why the bud candy and aqua shield? you have all this great organic soil going on and your gonna add bud candy to it? im confused. i didnt see any mention of molasses either, is there a reason for that? i dont know everything about this stuff, but you obviously do your homework - could you elaborate on your decisions there?

chief bigsmoke

great question seamaiden. -haha I can understand how this topic could get heated, but I'm a cool-cat so lets have a fun convo and for those of you who are just tuning in now... we are not saying that my bone/blood meal theory is incorrect, but we will discuss why I chose to include madcowdisease as a threat. when there is a lot of proof that it has not been spread that way. again.. seamaiden did not suggest that pathogens could not be spread via animal biproducts and that my other reasonings were not correct. Now we will discuss the madcow connection... :p

:dueling:

You're right I did come off strong and I mentioned the madcow/animal bi-product connection when I know that its a well known undocumented relation. I guess I was caught generalizing, but I can admit when I'm wrong. :p

Although my reason for including mcd w/ my other negatives was that this original Madcowdisease topic was the catalyst for the media and consumers to get bone and blood meals banned because it became evident that there were a lot of holes in our safety regulations; and the fact became apparent that pathogens could be spread via these meals became a firm reality. Sometimes its takes a scary word like madcowdisease to make people realize that the system is tainted.

Thank you for making me clarify. :) perhaps its really hard for a regulatory commission to prove a connection as well...

My original motivation to stop using them was urged by Rodale press when they banned the use of them. Now my decision isn't solely based on the mad cow connection.. my main reasoning behind is the fact that all the animal that are being processed into nutrients are not exactly the safest of sources.

If a cow lives solely on gmo food and is pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics.. then when it comes time to slaughter.. then these same substances are passed along. Since we are what we eat. using animal by-products drastically increases your chances of catching a pathogen.

First here's an article touching upon your topic that MCD has no proof or evidence that it can be spread via bone meals.. and just so we are clear, I agree with the lack of proof in regards to MCD, but yet again MCD is just one "sickness" that bone meal and blood meal could possibly transport:

Summary: Chances of getting mad cow disease from garden fertilizer are slim Concern about mad cow disease is expanding past the meat counter as gardeners worry that bone and blood meal sprinkled on their soil could make them sick.
Experts say scientific evidence is scant or nonexistent on the danger of such products made from rendered cow parts, but add there's an easy way to play it safe: Don't use them.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/fertilizer1804.cfm

Meat and bone meal ban

30 September 2001

"On June 19th the temporary ban on the use of meat and bone meal (MBM) in animal feed was extended by the EU Agriculture Council. The Council also confirmed that from October 1st 2001certification of an effective MBM ban will be required on all imports of beef into the EU and that further full tracing of the herd and dam of origin will be necessary for live imports. In addition BSE-related restrictions will be extended to tallow, gelatine and pet food from October 1st 2001. This will mainly require the removal of all specified risk material from carcasses."
http://agritrade.cta.int/Agriculture/Commodities/Beef/Meat-and-bone-meal-ban

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Meat & Bone Meal Ban in Feeds Remains in Place

EU - Poland's request to resume the use of 'processed animal protein' (meat and bone meal, MBM) in feeds for pigs and poultry was rejected by other Member States until issues over the material's involvement in the transmission of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) have been resolved.
http://www.themeatsite.com/meatnews/13671/meat-bone-meal-ban-in-feeds-remains-in-place

June 19, 2001 Deutsche Presse-Agentur The European Union's executive Commission said Tuesday that it was extending a ban on feeding meat-and-bone meal to all farm animals. [The United States could learn a lesson from this--BSE coordinator] The move means that the bloc's 1994 ban on feeding meat-and-bone meal (mbm) to ruminants will also cover pigs and poultry and reflects a continuing drive to fight bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow disease which ravaged the bloc's livestock sector earlier this year.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4817290

Prion Disease: US finally bans UK bone meal in December 2000

http://www.mad-cow.org/00/dec00_late_news.html

Ruminant feed ban

The ruminant feed ban prohibits the feeding of any animal meal or fish meal to all ruminant animals and is designed to prevent the potential spread of the bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) disease agent. Ingestion of animal meals contaminated with the BSE disease agent is recognised as the major cause of BSE-spread in outbreaks overseas. BSE is also known as mad cow disease.
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/4790_12974.htm

I hope this was a bit helpful. let the debate begin. haha thanks again sea maiden. I stand firm that there are SMARTER vegetive sources than blood and bone meal. :) what do you think...

Another vote for rice hulls here.

However, something you posted caught my eye and to me it absolutely requires attention, and that is the disease-based reasoning used for avoiding animal byproduct meals. I have had this discussion, or debate, with person, it got heated and I would say I got a 'rize' out of him. It lies solely in the assertion tha mad cow disease has been contracted by the use of bone and blood meals, and at this point, unless you are able to provide papers, verifiable, documented proof of this assertion, I suggest not fomenting bad information in this manner. Especially since you're discussing this grow in terms of using a scientific perspective. I have thus far been completely and entirely unable to find good supporting evidence to support the assertions being made.

While the other reasons offered for going veganic are sound and reasonable, diseases such as Creutzfeld-Jakob's is, to my mind, not at all well established.

I have another question as well, about water memories. Does water remember when it was a comet? I mean, seeing as how all earth's water came from outer space, most likely via comets, does it remember that?

chief bigsmoke

wow. don't blow my mind all at once.. haha I would take an uneducated guess and say yes. since the studies didn't prove the memories could last forever, but they didn't prove that the memories ever disappeared...

great question... who knows the creators phone number.. we need some answers. haha

chief bigsmoke

really great thread, embodies alot of what i want to become as an organic grower in the near future, will be tagging along without a doubt.
+1 for rice hulls too, im making the switch myself as soon as i source some around here...

i have to ask though, since i didnt see it mentioned yet... why the bud candy and aqua shield? you have all this great organic soil going on and your gonna add bud candy to it? im confused. i didnt see any mention of molasses either, is there a reason for that? i dont know everything about this stuff, but you obviously do your homework - could you elaborate on your decisions there?

awesome questions bro! I'm glad I can help. I swear it makes me happy helping anyone in the position I was in not too long ago.. I forgot to add molasses but I now feed molasses a couple times only in the late flowering stage.

bud candy - Bloom Booster, Taste/Aroma Enhancer and Plant Protector:
It gives things a distinctive cotton candy taste but it simply works. I noticed greasier feeling too to the plants that were treated. It benefits include: providing sugars, amino acids and vitamins.

*Now its important to note that after talking with Nameless I have decided to drop the inorganic Bud Candy. A wise choice. Its always helpful for friends to point out flaws in the master plan. Thanks to his kind and thoughtful approach I came to realize I would be putting an inorganic icing on a beautiful organic cake...

Aquashield - is a liquid compost solution. derived from chicken litter compost. It is a great soil conditioner to bring life to your new cuttings/seedlings and growing plants. I treat it the same as I would ZHO or piranha/tarnatula.. Once every 3 weeks I apply aquashield and it helps protect my root zone, supply vital nutrients and condition my soil.

Here is an appropriate article:
Chicken Litter Has Advantages Over Conventional Fertilizers
ScienceDaily (June 23, 2010) — Chicken litter is much more valuable as a fertilizer than previously thought, according to an Agricultural Research Service (ARS) study showing its newfound advantages over conventional fertilizers.

"The economic analyses also showed that farmers could further increase their profits by using less of either fertilizer than currently used for maximum yields--which is also good news for the environment."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100623124254.htm

Last edited:

chief bigsmoke

are you in BC? If so send me a pm and I can track some down for you, greenmango is the man to ask... he can point you in the right direction. I think he sourced it at a cattle feed supply shop. There isn't such a thing near me either. That's when friends come in real handy...

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
heya chief bro, great thread with lots of useful information for every grower :yes: count me in :lurk:

chief bigsmoke

heya chief bro, great thread with lots of useful information for every grower :yes: count me in :lurk:
Thanks Ganja hasi ! You gave me my first rep square. I now proudly have two.. haha

and I hope you brought enough popcorn for everyone...

OVER 480 views in 2 days... that's pretty amazing!

G

Guest 150314

are you in BC? If so send me a pm and I can track some down for you, greenmango is the man to ask... he can point you in the right direction. I think he sourced it at a cattle feed supply shop. There isn't such a thing near me either. That's when friends come in real handy...

you can find rice husk at farm feed stores but the peat and rice husk mix is from a horticulture wholesale supply in the lower mainland, you have to register a farm or business account to be able to buy from them unfortunately.