What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chicago a primo market for medical marijuana growers

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
http://couriernews.suntimes.com/new...imo-market-for-medical-marijuana-growers.html

Young entrepreneurs — some from Chicago — have been heading west over the last decade to make their fortunes in the “green rush,” the booming business that supplies marijuana in states where smoking weed as medicine is legal.
Police say former Chicago mortgage broker Ryan R. Bailey is one of them.
The affable, shaggy-haired businessman moved to Colorado, where he was busted earlier this year on a charge of growing hundreds of marijuana plants illegally in a warehouse.
Bailey, 29, also was arrested in a separate case last year in Chicago after he was caught in a northwest side home with 42 pounds of pot that had been sent to Chicago through United Parcel Service.
Police say Bailey is part of an industry that’s now one of the biggest suppliers of high-quality marijuana in Chicago.
Medical marijuana growers peddling boutique bud — the stuff that lawyers, stockbrokers and anyone else with the cash in Chicago is smoking — are second only to Mexico’s drug cartels as the city’s top pot importers.
They legally supply licensed dispensaries out West and sell their surplus in states where pot is illegal — and goes for twice the price, police say.
Bailey is not charged with mailing the marijuana found in the northwest side home. He was hit with a possession charge.
He would not comment on his pending criminal cases, but did speak about his frustration at landing in court.
“Some people in the industry have gotten lucky,” Bailey said. “Other guys like me have gotten caught in the system.”
‘The good stuff’
Chicago Police Sgt. Brad Williams specializes in seizing packages of marijuana shipped by UPS, the U.S. Postal Service, Federal Express and other services.
“At least 50 percent of everything I get is from one of the states where it is legal to grow it — Colorado and California — and marked with kid-catchy names like ‘Purple Haze’ and ‘Orange Crush.’ Each pound bag will have a label. Sometimes we will also get small 1-ounce samples, different flavors of weed to try,” Williams said.
He said his officers snatch at least one package coming from California or Colorado every day.
“I used to get 20-pound boxes, three or four a week, of the hard, compacted generic marijuana that you needed a saw to break off,” he said. “Now it’s a steady stream of 1- or 2-pound packages of sinsemilla.”
During an interview at his office in the Chicago Police Narcotics Division, Williams grabbed a plastic evidence bag of sinsemilla and unzipped it.
The bag contained sticky, green buds interlaced with red hairs. They looked like miniature Christmas trees.
Suddenly, the whole room filled with the thick, pungent, evergreen aroma of marijuana.
“This is the good stuff,” Williams said.
The good stuff from Colorado and California can fetch $350 or more an ounce in Chicago, compared to $145 an ounce or less in dispensaries in those states. It’s typically grown indoors under special lights and sometimes in hydroponic conditions.
By contrast, cartel weed, which is generally grown outdoors and has lower levels of THC — the active chemical in marijuana — sells for under $150 an ounce here.
“If you have a friend who goes out and smokes on the back porch with other professional guys, sinsemilla is what they’re smoking,” said Williams, who was involved in Bailey’s 2010 arrest in Chicago.
Busted in Chicago
On Monday, Bailey wore a camel-hair jacket, blue shirt and olive tie in a Windsor knot to the Cook County Courthouse at 26th and California, where he faces charges stemming from his March 9, 2010, arrest in Chicago.
A drug-sniffing dog at a UPS facility had alerted police to two large packages from California. Chicago Police narcotics officers opened them and found blue Tupperware containers loaded with a total of 42 pounds of weed.
The officers set up a sting and delivered the packages to a home in the 5100 block of North LaCrosse. The labels on the packages said they were from a law firm in California and were going to a design company.
Jason Duda, a man in the home, signed for the packages from an undercover Chicago cop posing as a deliveryman. Bailey had agreed to pay Duda $200 to accept the packages, prosecutors said.
When officers burst into the home with a search warrant, they allegedly found Bailey on a couch holding a bundle of marijuana. He tossed it into an open box on the floor, police said.
Bailey allegedly told police he flew from Colorado to Chicago that morning. He also admitted he had opened one of the packages, police said.
Police seized the pot, valued at $304,000. They also said they took about $5,000 in cash and $6,000 in blank money orders from Bailey.
Duda and Brandon Sieczko, another man in the home, pleaded guilty to felony drug charges and received probation. They also faced gun charges because of a 9mm handgun and a shotgun found in the home, but those charges were dropped.
Bailey pleaded not guilty and was released in lieu of $175,000 bond. He’s currently on trial, with closing arguments scheduled for Nov. 18.
Busted in Colorado
Less than a year after he was arrested in Chicago, Bailey stepped into trouble with law enforcement officials again — this time in Colorado.
In March, police raided a warehouse in Commerce City, just north of Denver, and found about 670 marijuana plants Bailey was growing there, said Jerry Peters, commander of the North Metro Task Force outside Denver.
The warehouse was divided into rooms for different stages of growth of the plants. There were ventilators and vats of pesticide and fertilizer.
Bailey, who gave police a home address in Golden, Colo., possessed a Colorado medical-marijuana card. He allegedly told police the card entitled him to grow the plants for other patients.
Colorado law says a medical marijuana patient can grow up to six plants a month for personal use, Peters said. If a patient is a “caregiver,” he can grow pot for five other patients, each of whom can have six plants, too. The law is fuzzy about whether patients can grow more plants than that if they can demonstrate a need, Peters said.
“But six people could not possibly consume 670 plants in a month,” he said.
Peters said the growing operation was in violation of Commerce City’s ordinances. The city doesn’t allow growing operations where Bailey’s warehouse was located, he said.
Bailey is awaiting trial in Colorado on a felony charge of cultivating 30 or more marijuana plants illegally.
In a strange twist, police said they were required to turn over the 670 marijuana plants to Bailey. Otherwise, they could be required to reimburse Bailey for the street value — possibly millions of dollars — if the plants were destroyed and Bailey later was found not guilty, Peters said.
Asked if growers like Bailey are expected to turn their plants back in to police if they’re convicted, Peters said, “That doesn’t normally happen. This is just a terrible law.”
Bailey’s wife, Amber Cook, has been operating a medical marijuana dispensary, Grass Roots Organica, in a small house in Denver, authorities said.
Cook, who holds a state license to operate the dispensary, advertises her line of marijuana products on the Internet along with other alternative-medicine treatments. Her website extols the virtues of marijuana as a treatment for everything from endometriosis to irritable bowel syndrome. Some strains of her marijuana are better for pain relief while others combat nausea or epilepsy, the website says.
Cook isn’t accused of wrongdoing.
Coming by mail
Medical marijuana growers often mail their pungent product to Chicago in quantities ranging from five to 50 pounds.
“We are getting tons of cases involving marijuana going out in the mail to Chicago, Texas, you name it. They are growing it quote-unquote ‘legally’ in Colorado and shipping it out illegally,” Peters said.
But they’re increasingly taking to the sky to avoid the risks of transporting marijuana on the interstate highways, said Jeffrey Padilla, deputy director of the Lake County Metropolitan Enforcement Group.
Flying it in
In Lake County, three men are accused of flying 170 pounds of medical-grade marijuana from California to Waukegan in a twin-engine Beech Baron in May.
The pilot, Michael Fejer, of Oceanside, Calif., and his brother, Nicholas Fejer, were delivering the load to Brian Daugherty of Chicago, police said.
Police arrested the Fejers at Waukegan Regional Airport and seized the plane, estimated to cost about $100,000. Officers also arrested Daugherty and confiscated $500,000 found in his car, Padilla said. Prosecutors are moving to take possession of the plane and cash.
Nicholas Fejer, 23, and his 27-year-old brother have pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. Charges are pending against Daugherty, 31.
“Throughout Lake County, we are seeing marijuana that was intended to be used as medical marijuana being transported and sold here for a much higher price for use as a recreational drug,” Padilla said. “We believe there are loads of that significance coming into Lake County on a monthly basis.”

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bummer that dude had some real bad luck.....but the article is correct....lol

Stumbleweed

The idiots doing this in Colorado WILL be found out. It's happening slowly, but as the regulatory model and "seed to sale" plant tracking gets enforced, this will stop (at least from Colorado). People still doing this kind of stuff in CO right now are dancing with the devil... only a matter of time.

supermanlives

Veteran
anyone know of any places in sd with good weed for 145 an oz let me know. lol is it cheaper in colorado?

+Vibes

lots of good homegrown in chitown... the sours, hazes, kushes combustion can be smelled all around town. not that i wish any entrepreneurs ill, but for real, keep it local. it seems like what used to be called 'beasters' is now 'fedex weed' : same warehouse weed just closer and from different gangs.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
never seen any meds even low grade fro 145oz.. The least expensive I have seen is 195oz from Good Karma...

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
So how is Chicago primo for real medicine growers..when they do a story on some flake who could care less about mmj?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Decriminalizing Marijuana Could Help Cash-Strapped Chicago, Alderman Says

First Posted: 11/2/11 09:46 AM ET Updated: 11/2/11 04:29 PM ET

Updated with Mayor Emanuel's comments

When Mayor Rahm Emanuel took over, he immediately made it quite clear that he would do whatever it takes to get Chicago's fiscal house in order. As the state and the county struggle with the same issues, one topic has come up again and again: marijuana decriminalization.

So, on Wednesday, one alderman took action. Ald. Danny Solis (25th) introduced an ordinance to the City Council that would make possession of small amounts of marijuana a ticketable offense -- leaving offenders to pay a $200 fine versus a misdemeanor charge, the Associated Press reports.

"In these trying times of the economy, we could really use the revenue generated by fines versus arrests," Solis told the AP. "And each (arrest) means police officers are spending an inordinate amount of time outside the neighborhoods, inside the district offices doing paperwork."

And Solis is not alone. Ald. Joe Moreno (1st) wrote a blog for the Huffington Post last week about his support for the Solis ordinance, and shared some thoughts on America's "War on Drugs":
The fact that governments all over the country are broke can be a good thing, if lawmakers are brave enough to stop appealing to the lowest common denominator and start telling the truth. This ordinance begins this in Chicago.

The War on Drugs started a year before I was born. It needs to die ASAP, because it has become a de facto war on poor people, minorities and reason.
Solis estimates that the change would bring the city $7 million per year and also save police and court workers "money and thousands of hours of time."

Earlier this month, the Chicago Reader reported that Cook County spent at least $78 million each year arresting, prosecuting, and jailing people for possession of marijuana. Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle has made it clear that she wants those costs to go down, and wants police to stop making arrests for low-level drug possession offenses county-wide. Cook County commissioner John Fritchey also supports decriminalization.

"The simple truth is that the decades-long policies that we have had toward possession of small amounts of marijuana have failed to do anything other than fill our jails with nonviolent offenders, strain our budgets, and according to some studies, even cause an increase in more serious crime," Fritchey said at a press conference on the matter last week, according to the Reader.
Aldermen including Howard Brookins, Richard Mell, Ariel Reboyras, Walter Burnett, Joe Moreno, Bob Fioretti and Deborah Graham have signed on as co-sponsors of the ordinance, NBC Chicago reports.

Mayor Emanuel had previously been silent on the issue, but weighed in on Wednesday. He said police officers have made similar suggestions to him, but he would want to make sure decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana would not create further problems.

“This issue has two parts to it — not one," Emanuel said, according to the Sun-Times. "The first part, which is what’s motivating people, is the issue of the cost in the system: arresting, overtime, court, jail. Then, there’s also the criminal justice side. I have to evaluate and will evaluate."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/decriminalizing-marijuana_n_1071181.html

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
only place you can get an OZ for 150 in cali is on the street or through friends......its either subpar indoor or pretty decent outdoors...

even at clubs like harborside health, in the middle of the outdoor flood...good indoor herb is still upwards of 300 bucks a zip....the reason behind this is simple. clubs DONT want people buying OZs, when they get some nice indoor pies they want to break them down into each 17 dollar gram. they might hawk some cheap outdoors for the "economically challanged" and for freebies.....but they squeeze every last dollar out of the high grades...

good to hear they are getting flooded with a box a day...thats way more than they have the manpower to handle, the most they can do is seize it and maybe arrest the people but no time to run investigations on every circle doing this gig....i know more people than i can count who run this racket some do it very sloppy and i pray they dont get a wake up call...its actually kind of driven up prices or at least kept them stable. i dont know how many times this year ive heard "ehh rather not sell at that price i can put in a box for 1k more than that"...well ship it then dumbass and have fun shitting bricks when things get hot...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
only place you can get an OZ for 150 in cali is on the street or through friends......its either subpar indoor or pretty decent outdoors...

yup, in '07 back in NYC I was gifted some in Bklyn & bought some in the Bronx @ $120/oz. Damn! it was good weed, seedless and all bud but was just missing that over the top eye appeal and smell to get the best $$$ for it imo, it would be $150/160 today.

gingerale

Veteran
Bummer that dude had some real bad luck.....but the article is correct....lol

Bad LUCK? From what I can tell it's more like the guy is a sloppy, careless idiot. Bust me once, shame on you...bust me twice....obviously I'm doing something wrong. Reading the details of how they caught him it's pretty clear this guy isn't the brightest bulb in the box. On one hand I hate to see anyone get arrested and wouldn't wish it on anyone, but on the other hand, I sure am glad there is plenty of low hanging fruit out there to help keep the heat off ME...

NPK

Never mind the cheap ounces--I'm stunned by the dude who got nailed with a half million bucks in his car (last paragraph). :eek:

I still think its weird that R.Emanuel is the mayor, Chicago smells pretty fishy from over here. Damn those young brothers both under 30 had a freakin Airplane? WTF. Damn those fools were Ballin. And the other dude with half a meal ticket....diZamn. Yeah Shipping weed is the new big craze. Lots of peeps from Nor cal shipping Meds to So.Cal & East Coast. I have heard of peeps up North driving Meds all the way down to SoCal to make that Extra 1k on each lb. If you ask me that is way to Risky. From what I hear right before the Grape Vine is SUPER HOT!

Latest posts

Latest posts