What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chem/Diesel/OG/Blueberry crosses

EvergreenState

I found the 707 Headband to be a real winner. I know you are going to like it.:woohoo:
I got it as a freebie and it turned me on to HSO. I don't know about the rest of their stuff because I haven't tried it. The 707 was good enough that it made me want to try out some other things on their menu.
I'm glad you are giving it a shot. Makes me feel good to turn someone on to something I really enjoyed.

EvergreenState

You might also want to lollipop by removing the lower buds on the branches. They are real fluffy and airy. Removing them gives more body and weight to the upper buds. As you can see, defol is a must.

EvergreenState

Many times I don't do research when I read things from fellow, more experienced, gardeners. What they write makes sense on it's face, so I just go with it.
The defoliation thing is something that makes sense when guys talk about it but I've always had lingering doubts because it always seemed to me to be a lot of stress for a plant. I did it some but took it pretty easy.
Today I did a little research and according to this study, it was determined that defoliation reduced flowering.
Makes you wonder.
https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1365-2435.1998.00193.x

TheBlaze

Thanks for those links Evergreen. I've been defoliating now for about 4 or 5 years. More recently, I've also been lollipopping because otherwise I end up throwing away a 100g or more of popcorn bud. With lollipopping, I've now reduced that number by about 60%.

I wonder if the argument against defol is for outdoor plants that can harness the power of the sun.

I see I have some reading to do.

EvergreenState

I think they are referring to flowering plants in general and I wouldn't think it would matter if it was outdoor or indoor.
It would interesting to test using two clones from the same mother, grown exactly the same way, one defol and one not and then compare the yield results.
You throw away the lower stuff? Hash or butter my man.

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
Nice thread, thank you for sharing

In regards to defoliation, 'never done it majorly, had dense, beautiful flowers regardless, only removed the lowers/bottom. Some benefit from a good pruning in veg, to lower risks of PM, mites etc, if ones environment isn't entirely clean, outdoors or very light-intense.

TheBlaze

I think they are referring to flowering plants in general and I wouldn't think it would matter if it was outdoor or indoor.
It would interesting to test using two clones from the same mother, grown exactly the same way, one defol and one not and then compare the yield results.
You throw away the lower stuff? Hash or butter my man.

One of the main reasons I defoliate is to allow light to penetrate deeper into the canopy. I would imagine that outdoors, the power of the sun makes this a non-issue.

Nice thread, thank you for sharing

In regards to defoliation, 'never done it majorly, had dense, beautiful flowers regardless, only removed the lowers/bottom. Some benefit from a good pruning in veg, to lower risks of PM, mites etc, if ones environment isn't entirely clean, outdoors or very light-intense.

Skinnier girls are definitely less prone to bugs and pm.

I've read so many arguments for and against defoliation, that I really have no idea one way or the other anymore. So I just do what I always do, and what works for me. I've stopped advocating it to others though.

Oh... and welcome bud!

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Its probably better removing sucker branches lke on tomatos than the leaves, but its a weed so im betting it will grow like one either way.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
It probably depends on genetics, like oh fuck im bieng eaten...better bust out those hairs to catch that sexy studs pollen and continue the species..:laughing:

EvergreenState

https://www.quinessence.com
/function-of-leaves
I honestly don't know how much light has to directly hit the flowers for them to grow. In my opinion as long as the the plant is getting enough light on the leaves, food production and storage is good, the overall health is good, then buds(or flowers)will grow nicely.
Being also a rose gardener, I see many beautiful buds and then flowers, that do not get much light.
Yes of course suckers should be cut out.

TheBlaze

707 Headband and Anubis @ 15 days 12/12

707 Headband and Anubis @ 15 days 12/12

I managed to defoliate 3 of the 6 yesterday. All 3 are in the front row. Will do the other 3 today.

Have a look at the last pic. That really illustrates how much I take. (707 HB)

These girls are setting bud at a rapid rate. Very promising.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

TheBlaze

Thanks Darksider.

I finished the defol on all of them. Plants are happy campers. Will post up some photos a bit later today.

Latest posts

Latest posts