What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHEAPER ENZYMES

Right now Im using Canazyme, but I’m defiantly interested in giving this a shot. Always looking to save an extra buck, and nutrients and additives are always horribly overpriced.

Has anyone whos been experimenting come up with a final recommendation for the best brand and amount for coco? Im only using a small 5gallon reservoir right now, so Im assuming I would only be adding 1ml or less for these more concentrated brands.

Villain

Well I am glad that I found this thread, can I get an update regarding the Walmart Stresszyme. and the Lowes/HomeDepot dry enzyme?

The stresszyme at the walmart near me was a tiny bottle didn't think it was worth it...

The dry enzyme I got from Lowes is super concentrated and in only using for a few weeks I'm not noticing any difference compared to Hygrozyme... Haven't moved into flower or done a full run yet but it seems to be good to go!

fknbzn

The stresszyme at the walmart near me was a tiny bottle didn't think it was worth it...

The dry enzyme I got from Lowes is super concentrated and in only using for a few weeks I'm not noticing any difference compared to Hygrozyme... Haven't moved into flower or done a full run yet but it seems to be good to go!

What was the name of the dry enzyme?
Did you use it at there ratio but adjusted to a smaller quantity?
How ofter applied?

Thanks.

What was the name of the dry enzyme?
Did you use it at there ratio but adjusted to a smaller quantity?
How ofter applied?

Thanks.

It's pictured a few pages back...

It's the "Jungle" Pond brand Clear-Zyme Concentrate...

There's two ratios on the container..one is the pond startup (one teaspoon for every 75 gallons) then there's the one for regular maintenence (one teaspoon for every 150 gallons...

I use closer to the pond startup, about 1 teaspoon for 100 gallons....
very concentrated

$12

:woohoo:

Villain

Why do you suppose it is not worth it, does it not work, or just not as well? I just picked some up for less than 5 bucks. I only have a 5-8 gallon res, so it should last me some time. Would you advise me to just return it and get the dry stuff, or just use it up and buy the dry next time around? TYVM for your input.

Nah man no reason to return it.....I'm sure it'll work fine and still end up WAY cheaper then buying a zym marketed specifically to us.....

I go through more water so the bottle wouldn't last me that long so I was looking for bang for the buck and long shelf life....

Villain

Yeah baby I decided to try the dry stuff from Lowes. This should last me forever considering I only need .33 ml for my 5 gallon res LOL. Now the trouble is finding a way to measure out .33ml.

ripman

Hey guys, this thread is really interesting, at a certain point there was a discussion about the effectiveness of various type of products, but we didn't get to see the results.
So I'm asking now to the knowledgeable guys here, could we discuss a little whether Bokashi and EM-1 can completely replace products like Hygrozyme and Sensizym?
As far as I understand, Bokashi or EM-1 should be seen as comparable to the latter, in the sense that, more than enzymes, you get active bacterias and microorganisms which anyway should perform the same function, i.e. consuming dead roots and breaking organics into elements which can be uptaken by the plant. Am I correct in saying this? To get a EM-1 based -zyme replacement, is activated EM enough or do I need to produce Bokashi? Of the two, does either one give troubles in DWC?
I know that in soil, if you use mycorrizae, castings and lactobacilli and cut a plant, microorganisms will eat any dead root and give you new soil. So I believe that, using EM-1, you should get a sufficient replacement of the -zyme products. Or do these product make anything more that I'm not pointing out?

GanjaPharma

i was reading this thread when it started back in february and went out and got some becket pond clarifier (dry barley enzyme blah blah). I started using it at 1/4 tsp per 25 gallons with every water (hand water coir). two completed grows since, and so far I can see no difference between the beckets, and hygrozyme....certainly no ill effects. my last two weeks i water with plain H20 and enzyme, then remove the big root at harvest then i set the smartpots aside for 2 weeks. after 2 weeks i crumble the coir into a cooler, water with roots excel, and reuse.
the small roots are all broken down by then and there is not a scrap of dead root left. to me that suggests that the zyme is working!
now my only problem is that this $10 jar is gonna last me until i am 87 years old, and then im gonna need a new jar....and home depot wont carry it by then...

gates3rd

thx for the informations and the way to save some euros ^^

next time i am at a store ill look for that pond stuff !!! i work on coco so i use enzymes pretty much all the time and its very expensive as u all know here after reading that great thread.

thx !!

Apache123

i was reading this thread when it started back in february and went out and got some becket pond clarifier (dry barley enzyme blah blah). I started using it at 1/4 tsp per 25 gallons with every water (hand water coir). two completed grows since, and so far I can see no difference between the beckets, and hygrozyme....certainly no ill effects. my last two weeks i water with plain H20 and enzyme, then remove the big root at harvest then i set the smartpots aside for 2 weeks. after 2 weeks i crumble the coir into a cooler, water with roots excel, and reuse.
the small roots are all broken down by then and there is not a scrap of dead root left. to me that suggests that the zyme is working!
now my only problem is that this $10 jar is gonna last me until i am 87 years old, and then im gonna need a new jar....and home depot wont carry it by then...

Thank you!

OCkushKing

Someone needs to do a test in some jars with some cut roots, see which product dissolves them faster! i'd do it, but ive never seen a difference in my grows with enzymes!

C

Cheeb

Stresszyme works - just not near as concentrated as pond cleaner/

Nimby used to rep it. He ran clear reservoirs w/o issue using powerheads only in his SWC tubes.

Dude rocked some stealth dressers like a true pro!

peace