What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHEAPER ENZYMES

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
Just a heads up to your guys talking about barley, I went to lowes to get some pond liner, and seen that they were about to put out a product by jungle Pond that was called barley clear or something like that, but i cant find it on their website.

Yo everybodys, I gave the Stresszyme a little experiment with my dead ladies. For my 50 gallon resevoir I used about 10 tsp. 5-7 days later I mixed up the soil. Although there were a few roots remaining, the majority of them had turned to mush (a good kind of mush). I gave them another watering today and they seem ot be breaking down even further. I plan on doing an extensive flush before I transplant any of my babies into there. You don't think it would be possible to kill my babies in the enzyme rich soil do you? Seems to be working well, I'll keep everyone updated

Yesterday I decided to give my tomato plants on my patio a mega dose of pond enzymes (25 ml in place of the usual two drops per two gallons) to see what it would do. The bottle says it's non-toxic for plants and animals after all. To my surprise my tomatos were wilted this morning. Maybe it wasn't the mega dose of enzymes, but some other thing. From now on however, I'll be using just a drop per gallon as I always have.

Bozo

25 ml yikes according to the nice man with Care Free that would be enough to make 250 gallons .

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
hey OlDMan&TW-nice find. i note that the active ingrediants are enzymes derived from barley.

coincidentally-i've just returned home with a 3kilo bag of Malted Barley and 25g of Amylase. Bought 1.5kg of Malt extract last week-tastes great because it is fullof sugars so i do not want to use that on a regular basis because other nasty things might start feeding on it.
I want the enzymes from the malt but not the sugars hence the bag of malt. The dude who sold it to me told me that heating the malt in water to around 65c would activate the enzymes. So i have a recipe for a malt tea-except for quantities which i will have to guess. Wouldn't it be useful to find out some of the manufacturing processes for say Cannazyme/Hygrozyme-i wonder if that would be possible?
thought it might be interesting to try the amylase out on some roots also

will post results when they come
cheers guys
eddieS

onegreenday

Veteran
How Are Enzymes Named?

How Are Enzymes Named?

How Are Enzymes Named?

One researcher reports treating grain, sorghum or barley with the enzyme "gumase" while another reports the same with the enzyme "beta-glucanase" When methodologies are examined, it is discovered that both of these preparations are the same product. Unfortunately, this apparent contradiction in terms happens often. Enzymes have been named by several methods and this fact has been known to cause confusion in their classification. For example, common or "trivial" names of enzymes, generally contain a prefix representing the name of the substance or substrate upon which they act or affect, followed by the suffix "ase". The "ase" simply denotes or identifies that the substance is an enzyme. Examples of this system of nomenclature includes the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of proteins into their component amino acids, the name of this enzyme is "protease" or "proteinase".

Another example is the enzyme that accelerates the breakdown of the two components of starch into sugars. The components of starch are known as "amylose" and "amylo-pectin", thus, the enzyme helping to break them down is called "amylase". Confusion may exist, however, when older names of enzymes are used. Included in these older terms are ficin, pepsin, bromelin and trypsin, which are older trivial names of individual types of protease preparations, the enzymes that accelerate digestion of proteins. There are also many sub- classes of enzymes. Amylases are a prime example; subclasses of amylase include: alpha-amylase, beta-amylase, and gluco-amylase, to name a few. All these enzymes do is accelerate the digestion of starch and are broadly classified as amylases, but their actions are all slightly different in nature.

To help sort this out, the International Union of Biochemistry in 1961 proposed a system for enzymes' classification and naming which is finding acceptance mainly in this discussion. One example of this system, however, is the term: "alpha 1, 4-glucan glucanohydrolase" which is a name for alpha-amylase.

All these systems of nomenclature may become confusing to someone who has use for only a few types of enzymes or uses them for industrial or agricultural purposes. Therefore, the use of the more widely known terms such as "amylase" and "protease" are more or less universally in these fields. It should be remembered, however, that there are many types of enzymes that fit into these broad categories that may be more or less suitable for specific agriculturally related application. The final selection for a specific application should be made only after consulting a knowledgeable individual well versed in the technical aspects of the particular enzyme requirements and applicable characteristics.

So my stuff that I treated with Stresszyme from walmart really did a number on the roots. I think I overdosed a bit and added half the bottle to a 50 gallon res. I soaked my old pots a number of times and with a little time they were all pretty clean!

CottonMouth

So my stuff that I treated with Stresszyme from walmart really did a number on the roots. I think I overdosed a bit and added half the bottle to a 50 gallon res. I soaked my old pots a number of times and with a little time they were all pretty clean!

This stresszyme you speak of is it made by API?

Is this something that should be used during veg and flower stages as well or is it just for clean up. I used to use H2O2 but since I started using coco it is not recommended therefore not used anymore. So should the stresszyme be used during the veg and flower periods? and if yes what should be the dosing?

CM

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Great thread, guys :D I'm learning, AND smelling baking bread in my head!

How do enzymes interact with Mykes? I grow in soil, and love me some Mykes. I read earlier that the pond care product rep said that it would kill them, but is it a wax/wane type thing? One does part of the N fixing, and the other does another? I never have a problem with root rot, and my remaining roots disappear pretty quickly in the recycle soil bin, but if the enzymes will promote root growth and make more N available than the Mykes, I'd try em out.

Bozo

Great thread, guys :D I'm learning, AND smelling baking bread in my head!

How do enzymes interact with Mykes? I grow in soil, and love me some Mykes. I read earlier that the pond care product rep said that it would kill them, but is it a wax/wane type thing? One does part of the N fixing, and the other does another? I never have a problem with root rot, and my remaining roots disappear pretty quickly in the recycle soil bin, but if the enzymes will promote root growth and make more N available than the Mykes, I'd try em out.

That is what the carefree rep told me i am about to do a test 2 clones in LC mix with bone blood and kelp one with MycoGrow one with Pond enzymes

S

stoned teacher

I'm trying THIS one next.

Just picked it up from my local Lowes...was just over $12....
Wow this shit is CONCENTRATED! Kudos on the great find...I'm at the end of a pricey bottle of Hygrozyme and will pick up with this stuff instead and let ya'll know how I like it...

cali mike

OldMan&theWeed

It's interesting that you mentioned barley. Barley seeds (unpolished) are sprouted by bakers and then allowed to dry before being roasted and then ground into a flour and then added to wheat flour. The enzymes in the barley are enhanced in this process and these enzymes feed the yeast spores (commercial or wild yeast cultures) which are, of course, plants.

When this roasted barley is added to flour commercially the package is marked 'Bromated' which is pretty common in grocery store flour products. Not so much with professional artisan flours where 'bromation' is added as described above.

CC

Yeast are NOT plants, they are single-celled fungi.

Bromated Flour has nothing to do with adding roasted Barley. It means adding Potassium Bromide, KBrO3, a chemical.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/bromatedflour

Latest posts

Latest posts