What's new

Cheap Nutrient Line for Commercial and Home Grows?

ButterflyEffect

wonder if its more of a surfactant type thing, than an uptaking

The way I understand it is that Si only uptakes via the roots. And at that, only a very small amount(10ppm or less).

Perhaps the PM benefit comes from the Potassium. I sometimes spray Potassium Bicarbonate for PM and Septoria.

There's also been talk of Si showing little to no benefit if your Ca & B levels are where they need to be. Case in point, ever since I started ramping my Ca up in late veg thru stretch, my stalks have been massive all the way to the top.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Organacide is a systemic fungicide that's a form of PK. It breaks down into usable PK in about 10 days. So the connection between K and fungus is reasonable

Burt

Veteran
There was a thread on this site about 14 years ago and a master grower did full grow diary comparisons of all the popular nutrient lines.
Pure Blend Pro absolutely won the comparison test.
However if your really all about saving $$$ plant tone or tomato tone will do it for cheap and produce great tasting flowers imo. The mycelium mat alone after a surface application will make your jaw drop.
There is always a trade off and with the plant tones it’s the awful smell of chicken shit breaking down but if you have a filter who gives a fuck?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
it’s the awful smell of chicken shit breaking down but if you have a filter who gives a fuck?

Statistically 1 in 4 people wouldn't know but one of the other 4 would know it smelt of foul shit.

A local cooperative were selling gross gear for years. To me it was sewerage and they were insulted by this remark. One was a landlord and years later I moved into one of his houses. I told him right away it's where he had been growing the sewer weed. He was rocked by this and his mate didn't hesitate to ask how I knew. The place stunk of sewers to me, but not to them or any of the previous tenants. I followed my nose to a washing machine point fitted without a waste trap. An open sewer, clear and simple.

Another group were selling mouldy smelling stuff. They claimed to never have mould and were again defensive. A power outage meant they had to call me and again I knew where I was from the stink of mould in the house. Which this time was clearly on the walls.

It's well documented. 25% of us are 'non-tasters' while only 50% of us are fairly equal and 25% are 'super-tasters' who may have as much as 100x better sense of taste/smell. Obviously we can all taste 100% of what we can taste and know this is all their is for us to taste so feel we are super-tasters. Some people regularly stuff peppers in like a super hero but it's probably not the amazing feat you think it is. They really can't taste anything.

You can buy a test kit. We all should. I'm not even that gifted.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The way I understand it is that Si only uptakes via the roots. And at that, only a very small amount(10ppm or less).

Perhaps the PM benefit comes from the Potassium. I sometimes spray Potassium Bicarbonate for PM and Septoria.

All the inorganic treatments change surface pH. Fungus is not really the problem with most fungus problems. It's an idiot light.

Lyfespan

There's also been talk of Si showing little to no benefit if your Ca & B levels are where they need to be. Case in point, ever since I started ramping my Ca up in late veg thru stretch, my stalks have been massive all the way to the top.

now knowing the SI is too large to permeate the cells, do products likw power SI have anything aiding uptake like a sort of leave transdermal if you will

ButterflyEffect

now knowing the SI is too large to permeate the cells, do products likw power SI have anything aiding uptake like a sort of leave transdermal if you will

It's a good question, but I don't know anything about that particular product.

That said, maybe we should be asking why we need to use agsil-type products to begin with.

Case in point, ever since I got my calcium in check I have stem thickness like I've never had. I can't even pop fan leaves off without taking some skin off the stem. The theory being that enough calcium and you don't need the Si. I for one, don't want the excess K at the wrong times, either.

eyesdownchronic

It's a good question, but I don't know anything about that particular product.

That said, maybe we should be asking why we need to use agsil-type products to begin with.

Case in point, ever since I got my calcium in check I have stem thickness like I've never had. I can't even pop fan leaves off without taking some skin off the stem. The theory being that enough calcium and you don't need the Si. I for one, don't want the excess K at the wrong times, either.

from an applied point of view, I can't necessarily answer that question.

but physiologically, Ca and Si have different functions. Ca is an actual structural component which is required for plant growth. Si on the other hand just collects in the tissue (mainly stems) and acts to harden it up. The analogy ive always heard is that Ca would be the sticks that make the structure, while the Si are little pebbles glued on everywhere and cement the structure. Also why Si is considered a benificial nutirent and not one of the 17 or whatever that are needed for plant growth.

Bill, your original post is devoid of any sweetening product. What's your opinion on them? Not worth it? I personally had a positive taste improvement from molasses a few runs back, but it's so sticky and messy I gave it up. I'm curious if you have a recommendation of an inexpensive dry sweetener.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Bill, your original post is devoid of any sweetening product. What's your opinion on them? Not worth it? I personally had a positive taste improvement from molasses a few runs back, but it's so sticky and messy I gave it up. I'm curious if you have a recommendation of an inexpensive dry sweetener.

Sweeteners feed bacteria, not plants.

eyesdownchronic

custom hydro nutes has a granular molasses product. its just like table sugar

ButterflyEffect

from an applied point of view, I can't necessarily answer that question.

but physiologically, Ca and Si have different functions. Ca is an actual structural component which is required for plant growth. Si on the other hand just collects in the tissue (mainly stems) and acts to harden it up. The analogy ive always heard is that Ca would be the sticks that make the structure, while the Si are little pebbles glued on everywhere and cement the structure. Also why Si is considered a benificial nutirent and not one of the 17 or whatever that are needed for plant growth.

From what I read, it has something to do with the Si promoting Ca uptake, maybe, I don't recall. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all of this!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
custom hydro nutes has a granular molasses product. its just like table sugar

Are you sure it's not? The moment you add molasses to table sugar, you have brown sugar.
It's only the black strap that's got anything different in it. Especially if beet sourced. I just checked I have it straight, so can tell you it's zinc calcium and potassium primarily.

I pondered if they had used white and added some nutrient salts. But powders would fall so caster would be better than granuals.

Ultimately.. have you tried it in tea?

eyesdownchronic

Are you sure it's not? The moment you add molasses to table sugar, you have brown sugar.
It's only the black strap that's got anything different in it. Especially if beet sourced. I just checked I have it straight, so can tell you it's zinc calcium and potassium primarily.

I pondered if they had used white and added some nutrient salts. But powders would fall so caster would be better than granuals.

Ultimately.. have you tried it in tea?

i'm not really sure.
i have not, but plan too.

heres the link to the product
https://customhydronutrients.com/mo...504/molasses-crystals-10-pound-bag-p-829.html

BillFarthing

Veteran
so "livening up" the medium with beneficials is superfluous as well in this lineup in your opinion?

Not at all. Beneficials transport and make nutrients available in the root zone. Coco is a good source of trichoderma. Rhizophagus intraradices, azospirillum brasiliense and certain enzymes may benefit from sugar products, even if it isn't in my cup of tea.