What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If a person cannot manage to cross a moat ten feet wide, how can he cross one that is a hundred or two hundred feet?"

(The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. , page 766) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's poem, Seikyo Shimbun, December 11th,

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What is the greatest joy in life?

"The Japanese bacteriologist Hideyo Noguchi (1876–1928), who was born in Tohoku’s Fukushima Prefecture 135 years ago, said: 'For me, it lies in befriending the poor and suffering, and going to their aid.'[1]

"Reaching out to the person in front of us who is suffering, empathising with them, and helping them find a new lease on life—Noguchi concluded that this was the key to enjoying true fulfillment in life. Our efforts based on the philosophy of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism are at the very forefront of such caring and altruistic actions."

SGI Newsletter No. 8388, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, Youth Festivals for the Future—Part 2 [of 2], translated Nov. 25th, 2011, from the Oct. 9th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun.

[1] Translated from Japanese. Hideyo Noguchi, Hideyo Noguchi: Sono Shogai to Jisseki (Hideyo Noguchi: His Life and Accomplishment), (Tokyo: Kodan-sha, 1977), vol. 2 (Letters), p. 73.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is only in the tenth world that one can truly perceive the countless numbers of others that we have each promised to lead to the correct teaching. There are so many suffering people to whom we are the path to encountering the Law! It is why we have chosen to suffer with them, shoulder to shoulder, in this saha world.

The only way to manifest the tenth world in the Latter Day is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and to teach others to do the same. Just think about it...... WE CAN DO IT- BUT ONLY IF WE ACT!

Good intentions are wonderful, but in the absence of action don't mean shit.

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everywhere other than the Capital of Tranquil Light is a realm of suffering. Once you leave the haven of inherent enlightenment, what is there to bring you joy? I pray that you will embrace the Mystic Law, which guarantees that people “will enjoy peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences.” This is the only glory that you need seek in your present lifetime, and is the action that will draw you toward Buddhahood in your next existence. Single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and urge others to do the same; that will remain as the only memory of your present life in this human world. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Nichiren

Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra / WND pg. 64

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The seeds of Buddhahood exist nowhere apart from the Lotus Sutra. If it were possible to attain Buddhahood through the provisional [pre-Lotus Sutra] teachings, then why would the Buddha have said that one should insist on preaching the Lotus Sutra, and that both those who slander it and those who believe in it will benefit? Or why would he say, 'We care nothing for our bodies or lives [but are anxious only for the unsurpassed way]' [LSOC13, 233]? Persons who have set their minds upon the way should clearly understand these matters." From 'How Those Initially Aspiring to the Way Can Attain Buddhahood through the Lotus Sutra' (WND-1, 882).

"By talking to others about the ideals and principles of the Daishonin’s Buddhism, we are sowing the seeds for people’s happiness. Let us, therefore, not hesitate to reach out to others in dialogue and share our philosophy with a bright confidence. The sincerity with which we chant for others’ happiness will eventually touch their hearts without fail. Let’s joyfully engage in meaningful dialogue, having the courage to communicate our heartfelt convictions."

SGI Newsletter No. 8403, Living the Gosho: Words of Encouragement from SGI President Ikeda, (59) Engaging in Dialogue for the Happiness of Our Friends, translated Dec. 14th, 2011from the Nov. 12th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Many hear about and accept this sutra, but when great obstacles arise, just as they were told would happen, few remember it and bear it firmly in mind. To accept is easy; to continue is difficult. But Buddhahood lies in continuing faith."

Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 15th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin states,
"The more one praises the blessings of the Lotus Sutra,
the more one's own blessings will increase."*
Let's praise each other for all the great efforts and dedication
that we have made throughout this year.
Hurrah for all of the SGI heroes and heroines!

Daisaku Ikeda

*"The Blessings of the Lotus Sutra" - WND-I, page 673

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Bonz! I'll be calling you later today! I'm sure will both have smiles on our face!

Much love and deepest respect,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The truth of three thousand realms in a single moment of life too has its origins in this single world 'belief' or 'faith,' and it is through this single word 'belief' that the Buddhas of the three existences of past, present, and future attained their enlightenment.

"This word 'belief' is a sharp sword that cuts off fundamental darkness or ignorance."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 725, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 54) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 16th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"There are times when you will be attacked or experience slander and abuse when you try to share this Buddhism with others. You may have many kinds of bitter experiences. But that’s all exactly as the Lotus Sutra and the Daishonin’s writings predict. Just grit your teeth, resolve not to be defeated, and keep trying. It’s an opportunity to expiate past offences. That and transforming your karma are the points of Buddhist practice. Once you’re certain of that, all your sufferings will be transformed into great joy."

SGI Newsletter No. 8407, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 1, Light of Happiness 41, translated Dec. 15th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"There are times when you will be attacked or experience slander and abuse when you try to share this Buddhism with others. You may have many kinds of bitter experiences. But that’s all exactly as the Lotus Sutra and the Daishonin’s writings predict. Just grit your teeth, resolve not to be defeated, and keep trying. It’s an opportunity to expiate past offences. That and transforming your karma are the points of Buddhist practice. Once you’re certain of that, all your sufferings will be transformed into great joy."

SGI Newsletter No. 8407, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 1, Light of Happiness 41, translated Dec. 15th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Although the people who study Buddhism outnumber the dust particles of the land, those who actually become Buddhas are fewer than the specks of dirt that can be placed on a fingernail. This the World-Honored One of Great Enlightenment clearly states in the Nirvana Sutra. On reading it, I wondered why it should be so difficult, but after some thought I realized that indeed it must be so. Although people study Buddhism, it is difficult for them to practice it correctly either because of the ignorance of their minds, or because, even though wise, they fail to realize that they are being misled by their teachers.

Moreover, even though one may encounter a wise teacher and the true sutra and thereby embrace the correct teaching, when one resolves to break free from the sufferings of birth and death and attain Buddhahood, one will inevitably encounter seven grave matters known as the three obstacles and four devils, just as surely as a shadow follows the body and clouds accompany rain. Even if you should manage to overcome the first six, if you are defeated by the seventh, you will not be able to become a Buddha.

Let us leave the first six for now. The seventh is caused by the devil king of the sixth heaven. When an ordinary person of the latter age is ready to attain Buddhahood, having realized the essence of all the sacred teachings of the Buddha’s lifetime and understood the heart of the important teaching set forth in Great Concentration and Insight, this devil is greatly surprised. He says to himself, “This is most vexing. If I allow this person to remain in my domain, he not only will free himself from the sufferings of birth and death, but will lead others to enlightenment as well. Moreover, he will take over my realm and change it into a pure land. What shall I do?” The devil king then summons all his underlings from the threefold world of desire, form, and formlessness and tells them: “Each of you now go and harass that votary, according to your respective skills. If you should fail to make him abandon his Buddhist practice, then enter into the minds of his disciples, lay supporters, and the people of his land and thus try to persuade or threaten him. If these attempts are also unsuccessful, I myself will go down and possess the mind and body of his sovereign to persecute that votary. Together, how can we fail to prevent him from attaining Buddhahood?”

I, Nichiren, have long been aware of all this and therefore know how difficult it is for an ordinary person of the latter age to become a Buddha in this lifetime.

>>>>>>>>

As for my teachings, regard those before my exile to the province of Sado as equivalent to the Buddha’s pre- Lotus Sutra teachings....

On the night of the twelfth day of the ninth month in the eighth year of Bun’ei (1271), I was very nearly beheaded at Tatsunokuchi. From that time, I felt pity for my followers because I had not yet revealed this true teaching to any of them. With this in mind, I secretly conveyed my teaching to my disciples from the province of Sado. After the Buddha’s passing, great scholars and teachers such as Mahakashyapa, Ananda, Nagarjuna, Vasubandhu, T’ien-t’ai, Miao-lo, Dengyo, and Gishin knew this teaching, but kept it in their hearts and did not express it in words. The reason was that the Buddha had forbidden them to spread it, stating, “After my passing, this great Law should not be revealed until the Latter Day of the Law arrives.” I may not be an envoy sent by the Buddha, but my appearance in this world coincides with the age of the Latter Day. Moreover, quite unexpectedly, I came to realize this teaching, which I now expound to prepare the way for a sage.

With the appearance of this teaching, all the teachings advocated by the scholars and teachers of Buddhism during the Former and Middle Days of the Law will be like stars after sunrise, or an awkward apprentice beside a skilled craftsman. It is stated that, once this teaching is revealed in this era, the Buddha images as well as the priests of the temples built in the Former and Middle Days will all lose their power to benefit people, and only this great teaching will spread throughout the entire land of Jambudvipa. Since all of you have a bond with this teaching, you should feel reassured.

http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=894&m=0&q= :tiphat:

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered."

(On Prayer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 345) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 17th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The bitterness we experience for the sake of Buddhism eventually adorns our lives as honour and praise.

SGI Newsletter No. 8407, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 1, Light of Happiness 42, translated Dec. 15th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin encourages us to repay the debt of gratitude that we owe to our father and mother.* Buddhism is the teaching of being respectful and faithful to our parents. Let's alway express that sincere appreciation we have for them with a really good smile. Let's always make sure to convey our heart with a bright cheerful voice. To be kind and thoughtful to our parents is the very best gift we can give them.

Daisaku Ikeda

*"The four debts of gratitude of Buddhism are (1) the debt of gratitude to be paid to one's father and mother..." - "The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude"

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life is found in only one place, hidden in the depths of the 'Life Span' chapter of the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra. Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu were aware of it but did not bring it forth into the light. T'ient'ai Chih-che alone embraced it and kept it ever in mind."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 224) Selection source: Buddhist study, Seikyo Shimbun, December 18th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'When one who is able to show clearly visible proof in the present expounds the Lotus Sutra, there also will be persons who will [come to] believe [in the sutra].' From 'Letter to Horen' (WND-1, 512).

"Nothing is more eloquent than actual proof. That’s why it is important that we strive to steadily demonstrate actual proof of our victory in society.

"Relating such experiences to others is one of the most powerful ways to advance kosen-rufu."

SGI Newsletter No. 8406, Living the Gosho: Words of Encouragement from SGI President (60) Nothing Speaks Louder Than Actual Proof, from the Nov. 16th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Dec. 15th, 2011

Bonzo

Veteran
howdy my friends :) hope everyone is well :) today was an awesome day! :) ya know it occurred to me today that its not how long ive been doing someting but how passionately i do it today that matters, we cannot lose the passion, the fire!

nam myoho renge kyo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts