What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran

The scripture known as the Nirvana Sutra lists the beings that have been able to
attain the way through the Lotus Sutra, and the list includes such filthy
creatures as dung beetles, vipers, and scorpions. To express the wonderful power
of the Lotus Sutra, Bodhisattva Nagarjuna says that it enables even such
creatures as dung beetles to attain Buddhahood.

(WND, 1082-83)
Great Bodhisattva Hachiman
Written to Nichigen-nyo on December 16, 1280

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The Buddha's utterances have become the works that compose the entire body of
sutras and bring benefit to all living beings. And among the sutras, the Lotus
Sutra is a manifestation in writing of the Thus Come One Shakyamuni's intent; it
is his voice set down in written words. Thus the Buddha's heart is embodied in
these written words. To illustrate, it is like seeds that sprout, grow into
plants, and produce rice. Though the form of the rice changes, its essence
remains the same.

(WND, 333)
The Pure and Far-Reaching Voice
Written to Shijo Kingo in 1272

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
We are all human beings; in that regard, we are all the same. The only real
difference lies in people's life-conditions. Our life-condition continues beyond
death into eternity. Therefore, as the Daishonin says, "Faith alone is what
really matters."

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From Words of Wisdom, by President Ikeda on "Happiness". www.ikedaquotes.org.

Happiness is not something far away. It is to be found neither in fame nor in popularity. When you live with integrity, your hearts begin to fill with a happiness as vast as the universe. It’s about being true to yourself and starting from where you are. From there your happiness will expand and grow limitlessly.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Message from President Ikeda for yesterday 12/19/2010

Message from President Ikeda for yesterday 12/19/2010

-- TO MY FRIENDS --
To all of those members and their families
who have been so kind to offer their homes
for our meetings throughout this year,
thank you all so very much!
At the same time, we deeply appreciate your neighbours'
generous understanding and support of our movement's activities.
Now, together,
let's all take good care of these precious Soka castles
so that they can always stand as respectable and trustworthy centres of the local community.

No, thank you Sensei! :)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
a couple of special people deserve (really, well we all do, but perhaps they could use a lil extra :)) some daimoku

one is Easy, whose mother is undergoing treatment, very important to keep them in our thoughts

and also for lapides who could really use the diamoku also

nam myoho renge kyo

nam myoho renge kyo

nam myoho renge kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Im with you there wierd !!

Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Great evil portends the arrival of great good. If all of Jambudvipa were to be
thrown into chaos, there could be no doubt that [this sutra would] "be widely
propagated throughout Jambudvipa."

(WND, 1122)
The Kalpa of Decrease
Recipient and date unknown

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Encouragement -- offering encouraging words -- is important. Nichiren Daishonin
states, "The voice does the Buddha's work" (Gosho Zenshu, p. 708). Sincere words
of encouragement have the power to give people hope and courage to go on living.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

a couple of special people deserve (really, well we all do, but perhaps they could use a lil extra :)) some daimoku

one is Easy, whose mother is undergoing treatment, very important to keep them in our thoughts

and also for lapides who could really use the diamoku also

nam myoho renge kyo

nam myoho renge kyo

nam myoho renge kyo

Yo my brother from the bottom of my heart thank you. I haven't been able to speak to her since I attended her chemotherapy treatment on Friday. It was so wicked how the nurse put such a long needle in a vein in my mother's frail left hand to connect the IV. My mother screamed, but didn't cry or complain when the needle was put in. My mother also was very strong and indicated side-effects that could easily be alleviated with the right medication (I mean some good meds like Blue Dream or Trainwreck). She declined the offer because she doesn't want to injest illegal substances even though her regular treatments of thalidomide and dexamethasone are dangerous substances that have killed people. After I left her on Friday, I've been calling her non-stop to share some good news regarding her old boy finally finishing his undergraduate degree with honors. She hasn't responded and it must be because of the pain and depression.

I have faith things will work out and during the interim, my prayers are getting stronger and stronger. That ten hour toso was no joke and Thomas inspired me years ago to do it when he was posting about all his super long chanting sessions and the incredible results that came with that. I finally got around to doing it as a sign of appreciation for the Gohonzon in my living room and it changed my life for the better. Next year I look forward to many 5 hour tosos and other types of goodness :)

Thanks so much weird and I'll make sure to keep brother laps and his wifey in my daimoku. Laps, please try to make an effort to attend a couple meetings and get your own Gohonzon, that's the ticket my man.

Love,
MyohoDisco

E

EasyMyohoDisco

A translation of President Ikeda's "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun.

Tuesday, December 21st, 2010
-- TO MY FRIENDS --
The SGI's foundations are rock solid
thanks to all the efforts of our friends
who work so diligently behind the scenes to support our activities.
All the Buddhas and protective forces of the universe
are applauding all your efforts with great applause!
Our most sincere gratitude
for all the noble hardships you undertake for us all.
May laurels of appreciation and victory always adorn you.

And.... From Yesterday's....
-- TO MY FRIENDS --
As the year is fast drawing to a close,
life can become quite hectic.
Let's be very careful to take ever precaution
so as not to be involved in any form of fire, accident or crime
We practice Nichiren Buddhism, therefore,
just as the Daishonin warns us,
let's be millions of times more careful than ever.*

*"As I have said before, be millions of times more careful than ever."
- "The Hero of the World", WND-I, page 839

E

EasyMyohoDisco

SGI President Daisaku Ikeda’s New Year’s Message (2011)

SGI President Daisaku Ikeda’s New Year’s Message (2011)

A Story of the Triumph of Human Revolution, A History of the Dynamic Development of Kosen-rufu

Congratulations on the brilliant start of the Year of Capable People and Dynamic Development! Let us set forth energetically into this second decade of the 21st century, aiming toward the centennial of the Soka Gakkai’s founding in 2030. Nichiren Daishonin writes: “When the god of the sun rises at dawn in the east, he sends forth his rays of light, opens his heavenly eyes, and observes the [entire world]. If . . . he sees a votary of the Lotus Sutra, he rejoices in heart” (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 2, p. 653).

In the lands where our members are chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo—the fundamental Law of the universe—and putting into action the wisdom found in the humanistic teachings of Nichiren Buddhism, the heavenly deities are surely rejoicing. There, too, the hope-filled momentum for peace and prosperity that we call kosen-rufu is well under way. In these increasingly troubled times, let us strive all the more to make our lives brim with the transformative, revitalizing and harmonizing power of the Mystic Law.

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the women’s division. The members of the women’s division, the suns of the SGI, play an especially invaluable role in their families, communities and society as a whole. While warmly supporting and commending all our women’s division members, the mothers of kosen-rufu, let us continue to wisely and harmoniously expand our network of happiness and victory.

The Lotus Sutra describes the Bodhisattvas of the Earth emerging from the ground of “all the billion lands of the saha world” (The Lotus Sutra and Its Opening and Closing Sutras, p. 252) in response to the call of their teacher, Shakyamuni. These bodhisattvas joyously appear in the place of their mission and carry out their struggle in the land to which they have a karmic connection.

In exactly the same way, we of the SGI comprise a magnificent network of Bodhisattvas of the Earth that spans our blue planet, and is dedicated to the promotion of peace, culture and education. Each one of us voluntarily chose to be born in this troubled saha world and enact a drama of human revolution. The script of each drama is different: some are about triumphing over illness, overcoming financial difficulty or resolving interpersonal relationship problems. But all involve achieving victory through changing poison into medicine, thereby conveying the greatness of the Mystic Law to others and giving them immeasurable courage and hope in the process.

In praise of the Ikegami brothers, who valiantly surmounted challenging obstacles, the Daishonin writes, “Could there ever be a more wonderful story than your own?” (WND-1, 499). There is no negative karma that cannot be transformed through the power of faith in the Mystic Law. I hope each of you will write your own triumphant story of human revolution that will continue to be told for endless generations to come.

The English word history contains the word story. I am presently engaged in a dialogue with the American historian Dr. Vincent Harding, who was also a close friend of American civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. We discussed how humanity’s power to create history arises from our capacity to narrate, to tell stories.

Dr. Harding remarked: “These stories help us to understand how we are connected to each other. It is this thought that makes us understand that we are all part of one whole—that there is no real separation. This means that separation and division are nothing more than illusions. Our various stories, then, call attention to the connectivity that exists between human beings.” The experiences in faith that our SGI members proudly relate to others are stories of awakening to the inherent dignity and worth of their own lives and the resulting emergence of the invincible power of the Buddha from the depths of their being. They are inspirational stories that allow us to reconfirm that beyond superficial differences such as race, ethnicity, language or culture, we are all infinitely noble human beings who have the potential for Buddhahood. They are stories that encourage and spur us onward in our efforts.

This year (2011) also marks the 60th anniversary of the youth division.

On Jan. 6, 1951, my mentor, second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda, called me to his house. On that day, in the midst of great adversity arising from his business difficulties, he entrusted the future to me, then just 23 years old. He also went on to say: “No matter what happens, if you and I fulfill our life missions, the time will definitely come when the Daishonin’s cherished wish for kosen-rufu will be achieved. No matter what anyone says, you must advance strongly and purposefully for the sake of the Gakkai.”

When youthful disciples rise to action, sharing the same spirit as their mentor, they will write a powerful story and leave behind a profound history unrivaled anywhere in the world. Indeed, today we are seeing the youth of the SGI around the globe making outstanding
achievements.

As the British philosopher Alfred North Whitehead observed, “The primary religious virtue is sincerity.” Nothing can surpass or compare with sincerity.

Let’s win in the coming year, each writing a new story of the triumph of human revolution and a fresh history of the dynamic development of kosen-rufu—through strong prayer, dedicated effort and solid unity.

My wife and I are praying wholeheartedly for the health and long lives of our beloved fellow members and their families in 192 countries and territories around the world.

Daisaku Ikeda
President, Soka Gakkai International

(I can also post this message in Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Japanese upon request)

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Gratitude is everything. The Gohonzon is truly merciful.

Gratitude is everything. The Gohonzon is truly merciful.

A translation of President Ikeda's "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun and more.

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010
-- TO MY FRIENDS --
To our friends in the Young Mrs division*
who boldly walk the path of their noble missions.
"No matter what situation I find myself in, I'll never ever give up,"
always remember that this is the spirit
that makes you one of our noble mothers of Soka!

* The "Young Mrs division" is part of the Women's division and comprises of young mothers or young married women, usually in their 20's and 30's.

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010
--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"I have believed it is most important to understand one's obligations to others, and made it my first duty to repay such debts of kindness. In this world, we owe four debts of gratitude. One who understands this is worthy to be called human, while one who does not is no more than an animal."
(Conversation between a Sage and an Unenlightened Man - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 122)
Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 22nd, 2010

Thursday, December 23rd, 2010
---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"Five centuries ago, the Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus (1473–1543) asked: 'What is there more beautiful than the heavens, which, after all, encompass everything that is beautiful?' But, I assert, there is something here on Earth as beautiful as the stars in the heavens--the brilliant light shining within the lives of human beings who struggle fearlessly for truth and justice. A network of individuals dedicated to their convictions is a priceless treasure of the universe, shining like the brightest star."
SGI Newsletter No. 8130, OUR BRILLIANT PATH TO VICTORY, Gazing Up at the Eternal Sky--Part 2 [of 2], from the Aug. 22nd, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Dec. 16th, 2010

* The Japanese kanji for To My Friends & Daily Gosho is available by clicking on Seikyo Shimbun's web-site address at
http://www.sokanet.jp/sg/sn/member_support_top.html

--- WAGATOMO NI OKURU ---
TOTOKI SHIMEI NO MICHI O AYUMU,
"Young Mrs" NO TOMO YO!
[NANI GA ATTE MO
ZETTAI NI MAKENAI]
SORE GA SOKA NO HAHA NARI!

-- KYO NO GOSHO --
"CHION O MOTE SAI TOSHI HOON O MOTE SAKI TO SU YO NI SHION ARI KORE O SHIRU JINRIN TO NAZUKE SHIRAZARU O CHIKUSHO TO SU"
(Gosho Zenshu, page 491)

hi everyone - its been so long but i have come back . it's so nice to see the same friendly faces . also to have people remember me after almost 4 years . i can't believe its been so long . well i don't want to steer off topic or anything . much love to you all .
Nam myoho renge kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

hi everyone - its been so long but i have come back . it's so nice to see the same friendly faces . also to have people remember me after almost 4 years . i can't believe its been so long . well i don't want to steer off topic or anything . much love to you all .
Nam myoho renge kyo

WELCOME BACK MR. KOTTER! We must do a Chanting Growers Further Show, since Weird and Lapides are also fans in 2011! Maybe we could do one up by you...

:) Keep on chanting bigBuddha, you know me and my lady look forward to seeing you very much! Be good my brother :)

Bhodi_22

pleased to see you folks here!

pleased to see you folks here!

"All that we are arises with our thoughts and with our thoughts we create the world

speak or act with an impure mind and suffering will follow you as the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart

speak or act with a pure mind and joy will follow you as your shadow - unshakable" Dhammapada quote/paraphrase and the thought that springs to mind while browsing this thread of fellow Bodhisattvas...to think there'd be so many here!!

Through activities that tame, according to the needs of beings, I vow to liberate sentient beings...for the sake of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.