What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EasyMyohoDisco

"Worthy persons deserve to be called so because they are not carried away by the eight winds: prosperity, decline, disgrace, honor, praise, censure, suffering and pleasure. They are neither elated by prosperity nor grieved by decline. The heavenly gods will surely protect one who is unbending before the eight winds. But if you nurse an unreasonable grudge against your lord, they will not protect you, not for all your prayers."

The Eight Winds (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 794)

A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over.
-Benjamin Franklin

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
-Benjamin Franklin

Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society.
-Benjamin Franklin

Buddhism is reason and Ben Franklin like Nichiren Daishonin was chock full of REASON!!!

Wilson!

Franklin was an amazing man. His lighting rod continues to save lives and property. He did not patent it. Just another of his many gifts to humanity.

I think Nichiren would have really enjoyed meeting this American founder. As would Sensi!

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Moreover, as life does not go beyond the moment, the Buddha expounded the
blessings that come from a single moment of rejoicing [on hearing the Lotus
Sutra]. If two or three moments were required, this could no longer be called
the original vow of the Buddha endowed with great impartial wisdom, the single
vehicle of the teaching that directly reveals the truth and leads all living
beings to attain Buddhahood.

(WND, 62)
Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra
Recipient unknown; written in March 1263

E

EasyMyohoDisco

A translation of President Ikeda's "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun and more.

Thursday, November 11th, 2010
-- TO MY FRIENDS --
Our most heartfelt appreciation and gratitude goes out
to the countless noble people
- the great heroes and heroines of our movement -
who have devoted themselves entirely to kosen rufu!
It is only because of your struggles and selfless dedication,
that the castle of Soka now stands on a rock-solid foundation!

Thursday, November 11th, 2010
--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"If one lights a fire for others, one will brighten one's own way."
(On the Three Virtues of Food - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 1060)

Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, November 11th, 2010

Friday, November 12th, 2010
---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"Founding Soka Gakkai president Tsunesaburo Makiguchi said:

"To live one's life based on the Mystic Law is to 'change poison into medicine.' As long as we live in human society, there will be times when we encounter accidents or natural disasters, or experience setbacks such as business failures. Such painful and unfortunate events could be described as 'poison' or 'karmic retribution.' No matter what situation we may face, however, if we base our lives on faith, on the Mystic Law, and exert ourselves in our Buddhist practice without doubting the power of the Gohonzon, we can definitely turn poison into medicine--transforming a negative situation into something positive.

"For example, if you fall ill and just spend your time worrying that your illness is karmic retribution, it won't solve anything. The important thing is to persevere in faith with the strong conviction and determination to positively transform your illness, changing poison into medicine, and achieve the great good fortune and benefit of regaining your health. When you do so, not only will you overcome your illness but, when you make a complete recovery, you will be even healthier than you were before. This is the power of the Mystic Law, which can change poison into medicine.

"Crucial is the absolute confidence that you can change poison into medicine, no matter what daunting obstacles you may face. This unshakable belief is the key to overcoming not only illness but all kinds of difficulties in life, and to opening wide the path to attaining Buddhahood without fail. In The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, the Daishonin clarifies this, saying: 'The single word "belief" is the sharp sword with which one confronts and overcomes fundamental darkness or ignorance' (OTT, 119-20).

"In 'The Proof of the Lotus Sutra,' the Daishonin's stance on illness is very clear. He says: 'Life in this world is limited. Never be even the least bit afraid!' (WND-1, 1109)."
SGI Newsletter No. 8098, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [20] 'The Proof of the Lotus Sutra' The Prayers of a Votary of the Lotus Sutra to Overcome Illness, from the September 2010 issue of Daibyakurenge, translated Nov. 5th, 2010

* The Japanese kanji for To My Friends & Daily Gosho is available by clicking on Seikyo Shimbun's web-site address at
http://www.sokanet.jp/sg/sn/member_support_top.html

--- WAGATOMO NI OKURU ---
KOSEN RUFU NI TSUKUSU
TOTOKI SHOMIN NO DAIEIYU NI
MAGOKORO NO KANSHA TO SHOSAN O!
MINASAMA NO ROKU ARITE
SOKO NO SHIRO WA BANJAKU NARI!

-- KYO NO GOSHO --
"HITO NO TAMENI HI O TOMOSEBA WAGA MAE AKIRAKANARU GA GOTOSHI"
(Gosho Zenshu, page 1598)

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"Kai-ko said: ". . . I felt it a terrible pity that someone such as he, outstanding in every respect, should die so young. Reconsidering the matter, however, I realized that it was because of this boy's death that his mother became a seeker of the way and his father began to practice, praying for his repose. How marvelous, I thought. Moreover, the fact that they have put their trust in the Lotus Sutra, which all people detest, must mean that their deceased son has been at their side and encouraged them to do so." I also believe this to be the case."

The Sons Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1050)

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
Saturday, November 13, 2010:

Buddhism aims to make people free in the most profound sense; its purpose is not to restrict or constrain. Doing gongyo is a right, not an obligation. Because Buddhism entails practice, tenacious efforts are required, but these are all for your own sake. If you want to have great benefits or to develop a profound state of life, you should exert yourself accordingly.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Because you are born with your Buddha spirit way before you can chant or read, the way you live your daily life with reason has a profound effect on your 'future' state of life too.

Respect to All,

Desi!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Because you are born with your Buddha spirit way before you can chant or read, the way you live your daily life with reason has a profound effect on your 'future' state of life too.

Respect to All,

Desi!

i believe that to be true, so very true

and it makes you look back to those who came before you and understand what lay in their heart and projected in their actions to get us where we are today

helps develop a real sense of sanctity and awe for those who have gone before, those who live now and those who have yet to come

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I knew from the outset that, if I set aside my fears and declared things exactly
as they are, I would be sentenced to death. And even if I should escape the
death penalty, I would surely be condemned to exile. So great is the debt of
gratitude I owe the Buddha, however, that I have not let others intimidate me,
but have spoken out.

(WND, 529)
Letter to the Lay Priest Ichinosawa
Written to the wife of the lay priest Ichinosawa on May 8, 1275

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I hope that no matter what happens, you will always advance with hope.
Especially I hope that the more desperate your circumstances, the more you will
press on with unflagging hope. Please keep challenging things with a bright and
positive spirit, always taking care at the same time to safeguard your health.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From Words of Wisdom, by President Ikeda, on "Youth and Aging". www.ikedaquotes.org.

Do not despair or grow impatient over transient phenomena. Life is long. Even if you have problems, even if you have done things you regret or have made mistakes, your whole future still lies ahead of you.

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
Rather than seeking to better themselves, jealous people focus their energies on dragging others down. Actions rooted in jealousy will only cause suffering and will not create any value or benefit for anyone. We are only able to develop our own good qualities to the extent that we can respect what is admirable in others.

nam myoho renge kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts