What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i have this reoccurring theme in my head that we all have a message written on our face that will set us free from own imposed hells in a world with many blind people and very few mirrors

"one cannot see the true impact of ones own visage unless one sees oneself from another's eyes"

what reaction do you see when you look into the face of others?

furthermore, what is the indelible impact we have on the lives we have touched?

so much more important that I remind myself of the reasons I chant when I begin my day because its so easy to lose touch with the impact we have past our own beings and our own lives.

and I think that really the thing that had so changed my perspective was the resounding of my own selfless giving through the selfless giving of others, for then I was able to look people in the eyes again, i was no longer afraid of the reaction i might get because i was not longer at a loss of understanding of the law of cause and effect

so more than for me, i chant for you, not because I feel I need enlightenment (please dont think I am saying I am beyond it), but because I am so grateful it was shared with me, and because I know the and trust the truth that is law of cause and effect and how important YOUR being is relative to it

I am a firm believer that YES the truth WILL set you FREE

nam myoho renge kyo

nam myoho renge kyo

nam myoho renge kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Our existence in this world can be likened to a dream. The issue of the greatest
importance and eternal relevance is how we face death, the inescapable destiny
of all living beings. For in the face of death, external factors such as social
status or position in the organization count for naught. Everything depends on
one's faith, one's state of life.

Daisaku Ikeda

pb4ugo

A simple exercise.

Bellow is four quotes from four different people who encourage others in their field of endeavor.

Three of the quotes uttered by non-Buddhist thinkers
and one by Daisaku Ikeda (Sensei)- a Nichiren Buddhist.

Which quote is uttered by Daisaku Ikeda’s?

1. All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible.

2. “Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”

3. All considerations of position, wealth and reputation aside, the greatest and most enduring triumph as a human being lies in knowing that one is doing one's best.

4. “Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference.”

(the correct answer will be posted tomorrow)

BrainSellz

Veteran
A simple exercise.

Bellow is four quotes from four different people who encourage others in their field of endeavor.

Three of the quotes uttered by non-Buddhist thinkers
and one by Daisaku Ikeda (Sensei)- a Nichiren Buddhist.

Which quote is uttered by Daisaku Ikeda’s?

1. All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible.

2. “Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”

3. All considerations of position, wealth and reputation aside, the greatest and most enduring triumph as a human being lies in knowing that one is doing one's best.

4. “Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference.”

(the correct answer will be posted tomorrow)

I dunno but they are all truth. Some good wisdom for tha mind.
No wonder this thread is still going. peace on the planet and good day to all

pb4ugo

Gosho Passage for today Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010

Gosho Passage for today Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010

Daily Wisdom
From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Wednesday, September 22, 2010:

"I cannot see the sun in the daytime or the moon at night. In winter there is deep snow, and in summer the grass grows thick. Because so few people come to see me, the trail is very hard to travel. This year, especially, the snow is so deep that I have no visitors at all. Knowing that my life may end at any time, I put all my trust in the Lotus Sutra."

Passage from: "The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra"
Written to the lay nun Konichi in 1276

Background segment from the WND v.1 p. 779

This work is an autobiographical account covering the events of an important period in Nichiren Daishonin’s life— from the time shortly before the Tatsunokuchi Persecution through his two-and-a-half-year exile on Sado Island to his eventual retirement to Mount Minobu. In the course of his struggles over this period of nine years, the Daishonin fulfilled the predictions in the Lotus Sutra concerning its votary and established himself in both word and deed as the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law.

This letter was written in the second year of Kenji (1276) and addressed to the lay nun Konichi, a widow who lived in Awa, the Daishonin’s native province. Her son had earlier converted to the Daishonin’s teachings, and through him she herself became a convert.

My understanding of the passage:

These are the conditions by which Nichiren lived, yet conveyed gigantic conviction of his belief and faith in Nam-myoho-renge-kyo - the essence of the Lotus Sutra. His life was Nam-myoho-renge-kyo itself.

To attain enlightenment under any circumstances is to realize that Nam-myoho-renge-kyo IS our life itself and so the life of others. Can we convey at all times that through our unyielding faith and practice, under any circumstances, we perceive this to be a fact?

pb
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Link to the page:
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 779

Segment...

...I would reply by saying that, if Nichiren is not a votary of the Lotus Sutra, then who is? Is Honen a votary, who in his writings ordered people to throw the Lotus Sutra away? Is the Great Teacher Kobo a votary, who said that Shakyamuni Buddha was still in the region of darkness? Or are Shan- wu-wei and Jikaku votaries, who taught that, although the Lotus Sutra and the Mahavairochana Sutra are equal in terms of principle, the latter is superior in practice?

Again, this matter of the head being split into seven pieces— one need not imagine the kind of split made by a sharp sword. On the contrary, the Lotus Sutra says that the split is like that of the “branches of the arjaka tree.”37 In a person’s head there are seven drops of liquid, and outside there are seven demons. If the demons drink one drop, the person’s head begins to ache. If they drink three drops, his life will be endangered, and if they drink all seven drops, he will die. People in the world today all have heads that have split apart like the branches of the arjaka tree, but they are so steeped in evil karma that they are not even aware of the fact. They are like persons who have been injured while they were asleep or in a state of drunkenness, and have not yet become conscious of their injury.

Rather than saying that the head is split into seven pieces, we sometimes say that the mind is split into seven pieces. The skull bone under the scalp cracks or even breaks apart at the time of death. Many people of our own period had their heads split open in the great earthquake of the Shoka era (1257) or at the time of the appearance of the great comet in the Bun’ei era (1264). At the time their heads split
open, they had a severe coughing condition, and when their five solid internal organs38 failed to function correctly, they suffered from dysentery. How could they have failed to realize that they were being punished because they slandered the votary of the Lotus Sutra!

Because venison is tasty, the deer is hunted and killed; because oil can be obtained from the turtle, the turtle loses its life. If a woman is beautiful, there will be many who envy her. The ruler of a nation has much to fear from other nations, and the life of a man with great wealth is constantly in danger. One who abides by the Lotus Sutra will inevitably attain Buddhahood. Therefore, the devil king of the sixth heaven, the lord of this threefold world, will become intensely jealous of anyone who abides by the sutra. This devil king, we are told, attaches himself like a plague demon to people in a way that cannot be detected by the eye.

Thereafter, like persons who gradually become drunk on fine old wine, rulers, fathers and mothers, wives and children gradually become possessed by him and are filled with jealousy toward the votary of the Lotus Sutra. And that is precisely the situation we face today in the world around us. Because I chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, I have for over twenty years been driven from place to place. Twice I have incurred the wrath of the authorities, and in the end I have retired to this mountain.

Here I am surrounded by four mountains, Shichimen to the west, Ten- shi to the east, Minobu to the north, and Takatori to the south. Each is high enough to touch the sky, and so steep that even flying birds have trouble crossing them. In their midst are four rivers called Fuji, Haya, Oshira, and Minobu. In the middle, in a ravine some hundred yards or so across, I have built my hut.

I cannot see the sun in the daytime or the moon at night. In winter there is deep snow, and in summer the grass grows thick. Because so few people come to see me, the trail is very hard to travel. This year, especially, the snow is so deep that I have no visitors at all. Knowing that my life may end at any time, I put all my trust in the Lotus Sutra.

In these circumstances, your letter was particularly welcome. It seemed almost like a message from Shakyamuni Buddha or from my departed parents, and I cannot tell you how grateful I was.
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good day all !!
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo

Bout time for PTD to check in let us know all is good !!
Nam myoho renge kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
In the twinkling of an eye we grow old. Our physical strength wanes and we begin
to suffer various aches and pains. We practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism so
that instead of sinking into feelings of sadness, loneliness and regret, we can
greet old age with an inner richness and maturity as round and complete as a
ripe golden fruit of autumn. Faith exists so that we can welcome smiling and
without regrets an old age that is like a breathtaking sunset whose dazzling
rays color heaven and earth in majestic hues.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Wilson!

In the twinkling of an eye we grow old. Our physical strength wanes and we begin
to suffer various aches and pains. We practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism so
that instead of sinking into feelings of sadness, loneliness and regret, we can
greet old age with an inner richness and maturity as round and complete as a
ripe golden fruit of autumn. Faith exists so that we can welcome smiling and
without regrets an old age that is like a breathtaking sunset whose dazzling
rays color heaven and earth in majestic hues.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Ain't that the truth. I rec'd Gohonzon at 21. I just turned 56. wow !!Lotsa water under the bridge even tho it took but a sec.

Gets sweeter every day.

toodles,

Last edited:

pb4ugo

Answer to quotes:

Orison Swett Marden

Gail Devers

Daisaku Ikeda

3 All considerations of position, wealth and reputation aside, the greatest and most enduring triumph as a human being lies in knowing that one is doing one's best.

Joel Barker

4 “Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference.”

pb4ugo

Daily Wisdom
Thursday, September 23, 2010:

"Miao-lo said, "Wise men can perceive the cause of things, as snakes know the way of snakes." The present epidemics are like the virulent boils of King Ajatashatru that could not be cured by anyone but the Buddha. They can only be eliminated by the Lotus Sutra."

Passage from: "The Two Kinds of Illness"
Written to Shijo Kingo on June 26, 1278

Background from the WND v.1 p. 920

This letter was written at Minobu and sent to Shijo Kingo in Kamakura in the first year of Koan (1278). Its content closely resembles that of another letter, The Treatment of Illness, written to Toki Jonin on the same date. Indeed, the opening passage is virtually identical to the one in The Treatment of Illness (p. 1111).

The Daishonin’s life at Minobu was by no means easy. Winters were bitterly cold, and his shelter was inadequate. Food was another problem. Moreover, for nearly the entire first half of 1278, he had suffered from debilitating and chronic diarrhea. Shijo Kingo, who was well versed in the art of healing, had prescribed a medicine and sent it to the Daishonin, along with other offerings. This letter expresses the Daishonin’s appreciation for Kingo’s offerings.

The Daishonin refers to two kinds of illness: illness of the body, which arises primarily from physical causes, and illness of the mind, which arises from the three poisons. He explains that, although illness of the body can be cured by sufficiently skilled physicians, illness of the mind cannot; only Buddhism provides a remedy for such disorders. He also attributes the epidemics then ravaging Japan to slander of the Lotus Sutra. Neither the Hinayana nor provisional Mahayana teachings will be able to stem them, he says. Faith in the Lotus Sutra alone will eradicate the offense of slander and remove the people’s suffering.

My understanding of the passage:

All illnesses can be cured by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. To Nichiren and Nichiren's believers faith in the Gohonzon of Nam-myoho-renge kyo is faith in the Lotus Sutra of the Latter Day of the Law. A DISTORTED view of the one Great Medicine produces numberless of illnesses. Taking and believing in the one Great Medicine of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is to cure all illnesses of the mind that is consequently responsible for the cure of all illnesses of the body.

pb
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Link to the page:
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 920

THE illnesses of human beings may be divided into two general categories, the first of which is illness of the body. Physical diseases comprise one hundred and one disorders of the earth element, one hundred and one of the water element, one hundred and one of the fire element, and one hundred and one of the wind element, for a total of four hundred and four maladies.1 These illnesses can be cured with the medicines prescribed by skilled physicians such as Water Holder, Water Carrier,2 Jivaka, and Pien Ch’üeh.3
The second category is illness of the mind. These are the three poisons and the eighty-four thousand illnesses.4 Only a Buddha can cure them; thus they are beyond the healing powers of the two deities and the three ascetics,5 not to mention those of Shen Nung and Huang Ti.6

Illnesses of the mind differ greatly in severity. The three poisons and the eighty-four thousand illnesses that afflict ordinary people of the six paths can be treated by the Buddha of the Dharma Analysis Treasury, Establishment of Truth, and Precepts schools, which derive from the Tripitaka teaching of Hinayana. However, if one tries to use the Hinayana teachings to cure the three poisons and eighty thousand illnesses that arise from slandering the Mahayana sutras, such as the Flower Garland, Wisdom, and Mahavairochana sutras, these illnesses will merely become worse and never be cured. They can be treated only with the Mahayana teachings.

Moreover, if one attempts to use the Flower Garland, Wisdom, and Mahavairochana sutras, or the teachings of the True Word and Three Treatises schools to cure the three poisons and eighty thousand illnesses that arise when the practitioners of the various Mahayana sutras oppose the Lotus Sutra, those sicknesses will become all the more serious. To illustrate, the flames emitted by burning wood or coal can easily be extinguished by water, but if one pours water over a fire produced by burning oil, it will only burn more intensely, the flames mounting still higher.

The epidemics that have been raging in Japan since last year cannot be categorized within the four hundred and four illnesses of the body. Thus they are beyond the healing powers of Hua T’o7 and Pien Ch’üeh. Nor do they correspond to any of the eighty-four thousand diseases that can be treated with the Hinayana or provisional Mahayana teachings. For this reason, the prayers offered by the priests of the schools based on those teachings not only fail to end the epidemics, but rather aggravate them all the more. Even if the epidemics should subside this year, they will surely break out again in years to come. Probably they will come to an end only after something dreadful has happened.

The Lotus Sutra says, “Though he might practice the art of medicine and by its methods cure someone’s disease, the person would grow sicker from some other malady and perhaps in the end would die. . . . it would only make his condition worse.”8 The Nirvana Sutra states: “At that time King Ajatashatru of Rajagriha . . . boils broke out over his entire body. . . . [The king said to his mother], ‘These boils have their origin in the mind; they do not arise from the four elements. Though people say that there is a physician who can cure them, that could not possibly be.’ ”

Miao-lo said, “Wise men can perceive the cause of things, as snakes know the way of snakes.”9 The present epidemics are like the virulent boils of King Ajatashatru that could not be cured by anyone but the Buddha. They can only be eliminated by the Lotus Sutra.

I developed diarrhea on the thirtieth day of the twelfth month of last year, and up until the third or fourth day of the sixth month of this year, it grew more frequent by the day and more severe by the month. Just when I was thinking that it must be my immutable karma, you sent me good medicine. Since taking it, my complaint has diminished steadily and is now a mere one-hundredth fraction of its former intensity.

I wonder if Shakyamuni Buddha has entered into your body to help me, or perhaps the Bodhisattvas of the Earth have bestowed upon me the good medicine of Myoho-renge-kyo. Chikugo-bo10 will explain all this to you in more detail. Postscript: Your messenger arrived at the hour of the dog (7:00–9:00 P.M.) on the twenty-fifth day of this month. The things you have sent me are beyond counting. Please convey my appreciation to Toki for his offering of a summer robe. Also please tell your wife how saddened I am at the passing of her grandfather.

With my deep respect,
Nichiren

The twenty-sixth day of the sixth month

Reply to Nakatsukasa Saemon- no-jo

Bonzo

Veteran
nam myoho renge kyo
nam myoho renge kyo
nam myoho renge kyo

hello my friends

have a killer second day of fall

woooo hoooo!!

bonz

E

EasyMyohoDisco

wow look at what the karma tide dragged in, none other than Big Bonz!

We've sorely missed you. Are you ok? Please PM me a # if you can!

Weird, sorry I've been so busy all week with school, work and trying to help a homeless family get a home. It is very difficult to commit yourself to help another person win, especially when that person has very little fight(ing spirit) left in them. I look forward to reconnecting with you soon and keeping the momentum propelling us in the right direction.

My friends... Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

pb4ugo

Gosho Passage for today Friday September 24th, 2010

Gosho Passage for today Friday September 24th, 2010

Daily Wisdom
Friday, September 24, 2010:

"Though muddy water has no mind, it can catch the moon's reflection and so naturally become clear. When plants and trees receive the rainfall, they can hardly be aware of what they are doing, and yet do they not proceed to put forth blossoms? The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo do not represent the sutra text, nor are they its meaning. They are nothing other than the intent of the entire sutra. So, even though the beginners in Buddhist practice may not understand their significance, by practicing these five characters, they will naturally conform to the sutra's intent."

passage from: "On the Four Stages of Faith and the Five Stages of Practice"
Written to Toki Jonin on April 10, 1277

Background segments from the WND v.1 p.790

This work is one of Nichiren Daishonin’s ten major writings. It is thought to have been written on the tenth day of the fourth month in the third year of Kenji (1277). In the previous month, Toki Jonin, one of the Daishonin’s most learned and devout disciples, had sent him a letter via Nissho, one of the six senior priests. Toki had expressed concern about how he might carry out a correct practice and appended a list of specific questions. This work is the Daishonin’s reply. In it he stresses that chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with faith in the Mystic Law is the correct practice for the Latter Day of the Law and contains the merit of all other practices within it, leading directly to Buddhahood...

...T’ient’ai and Miao-lo, he designates as most appropriate the view that they correspond to the stage of hearing the name and words of the truth, the stage where one first hears and takes faith in the Lotus Sutra. For people at these initial stages, the Daishonin continues, of the three types of learning, the Buddha restricted the practice of precepts and meditation, emphasizing only wisdom. And, because the wisdom of people in the Latter Day is inadequate, they should substitute faith; faith in the Lotus Sutra becomes the cause for acquiring the Buddha wisdom...

...The Daishonin replies that the higher the teaching, the lower the capacity of the people it can save; thus chanting the daimoku, or title, of the Lotus Sutra alone can bring all beings to Buddhahood. The next part explains that people in the Latter Day, who are at the initial stages of practice, need not practice almsgiving, the keeping of precepts, or any other of the five paramitas, but should devote themselves exclusively to chanting the daimoku. It may be noted here that the Daishonin is not rejecting the spirit implicit in such acts as almsgiving, but rather is denying their efficacy as actual practices.

The merit of all these good deeds, he says, is already inherent in the daimoku. The practice of daimoku contains all practices within itself. The Daishonin asserts that even those who chant it without understanding its meaning are certain to attain Buddhahood.

My understanding of the Passage:

In this passage, Nichiren states that all the merits driven from practicing the true and correct teaching in the Latter Day of the Law, contain in the Daimoku and one who chants Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, as a matter of course, will naturally conform to its intent. Does that means that we can learn about Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and chant the Daimoku for the rest of our lives secluded form other believers and be able to attain Buddhahood? No! not what so ever.

Chanting Daimoku with other believers who work for the same cause to teach others to rely on the Law and not upon person(s) is the the correct posture in practicing Nichiren's Buddhism. At the same time, uniting with the priests who uphold the Law and with the community of believers being one of the Three Treasures, is indispensable chemistry needed for the accomplishment of Kosen Rufu.

As Nichiren states in this letter quoting from the sutra: “If anyone sees a person who accepts and upholds this sutra and tries to expose the faults or evils of that person, whether what he speaks is true or not, he will in his present existence be afflicted with white leprosy. . . . and other severe and malignant illnesses.”31 It also says, “That person will be born eyeless in existence after existence.”

What does this passage means?. It means that SGI cannot accomplish Kosen Rufu as a Lay believers on its own and create their own "new heritage" with the three presidents by themselves placing the emphasis on the connection to the mentor instead of the Gohonzon of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, cutting themselves off from and condemning the very priests and lay believers, who associate with them, who have been practicing and maintaining Nichiren Buddhism for the past 7 centuries plus.

The meaning of the passage that states that "as a matter of course will naturally conform to its intent" means that all practitioners who chant the daimoku whether they practice with the SGI or with the priests including the priests themselves are respect worthy just for the fact that they chant the daimoku. The question remains to be asked: what does it mean to chant the daimoku and conform to its intent? we would have to say that the intent springs from the passage declaring that the Lotus Sutra (hence the Gohonzon of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo) to be foremost among all the sutras the Buddha“ has preached, now preaches, and will preach.

If any practitioner, whether a priest or lay believer, who fails to place the Gohonzon of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to be supreme and foremost and instead places his/her relationship on a mentor, this priest or lay believer destroys the intent and heart of the Lotus Sutra.

pb
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Link to the passage:
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 788

Segments...

...Question: Why do you not advocate the meditation on the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, but instead simply encourage the chanting of the daimoku?

Answer: The two characters that comprise the name Japan contain within them all the people and animals and wealth in the sixty-six provinces of the country, without a single omission. And the two characters that make up the name India— do they not likewise contain within them all the seventy countries of India?21 Miao-lo says, “When for the sake of brevity one mentions only the daimoku, or title, the entire sutra is by implication included therein.”22 He also says, “When for the sake of brevity we speak of the Ten Worlds or the ten factors, the three thousand realms are perfectly encompassed therein.”23

When Bodhisattva Manjushri and the Venerable Ananda came to compile all the words spoken by the Buddha at the three assemblies during the eight years [in which the Lotus Sutra was preached], they wrote down the title Myoho-renge-kyo, and to show their understanding [that the entire sutra is contained in these five characters], they proceeded with the words “This is what I heard.”24

Question: If a person simply chants Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with no understanding of its meaning, are the benefits of understanding thereby included??

Answer: When a baby drinks milk, it has no understanding of its taste, and yet its body is naturally nourished. Who ever took the wonderful medicines of Jivaka knowing of what they were compounded? Water has no intent, and yet it can put out fire. Fire consumes things, and yet how can we say that it does so consciously? This is the explanation of both Nagarjuna and T’ien-t’ai, and I am restating it here.

Question: Why do you say that all teachings are contained within the daimoku??

Answer: Chang-an writes: “Hence [T’ien-t’ai’s explanation of the title in] the preface conveys the profound meaning of the sutra. The profound meaning indicates the heart of the text, and the heart of the text encompasses the whole of the theoretical and essential teachings.”25 And Miao-lo writes, “On the basis of the heart of the text of the Lotus Sutra, one can evaluate all the other various teachings of the Buddha.”26

Though muddy water has no mind, it can catch the moon’s reflection and so naturally becomes clear. When plants and trees receive the rainfall, they can hardly be aware of what they are doing, and yet do they not proceed to put forth blossoms? The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo do not represent the sutra text, nor are they its meaning. They are nothing other than the intent of the entire sutra. So, even though the beginners in Buddhist practice may not understand their significance, by practicing these five characters, they will naturally conform to the sutra’s intent.

Question: When your disciples, without any understanding, simply recite with their mouths the words Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, what level of attainment do they reach?

Answer: Not only do they go beyond the highest level of the four flavors and three teachings, as well as that attained by practitioners of the perfect teaching set forth in the sutras that precede the Lotus Sutra, but they surpass by a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, million times the founders of the True Word and various other schools of Buddhism, such as Shan-wu-wei, Chih-yen, Tz’u-en, Chi-tsang, Taohsüan, Bodhidharma, and Shan-tao.

Therefore, I entreat the people of this country: Do not look down upon my disciples! If you inquire into their past, you will find that they are great bodhisattvas who have given alms to Buddhas over a period of eight hundred thousand million kalpas, and who have carried out practices under Buddhas as numerous as the sands of the Hiranyavati and Ganges rivers. And if we speak of the future, they will be endowed with the benefit of the fiftieth person, surpassing that of one who gave alms to innumerable living beings for a period of eighty years.27 They are like an infant emperor wrapped in swaddling clothes, or a great dragon who has just been born. Do not despise them! Do not look on them with contempt!

Miao-lo writes, “Those who vex or trouble [the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra] will have their heads split into seven pieces, but those who give alms to them will enjoy good fortune surpassing the ten honorable titles.”28 King Udayana behaved insolently toward the Venerable Pindolabharadvaja, and within seven years lost his life.29 The lord of Sagami condemned Nichiren to exile, and within a hundred days armed rebellion broke out in his domain.30

The sutra says: “If anyone sees a person who accepts and upholds this sutra and tries to expose the faults or evils of that person, whether what he speaks is true or not, he will in his present existence be afflicted with white leprosy. . . . and other severe and malignant illnesses.”31 It also says, “That person will be born eyeless in existence after existence.”...

...The Buddhist teachings were first introduced to Japan in the reign of the thirtieth sovereign, Emperor Kimmei. During the twenty reigns, or more than two hundred years, from that time until the reign of Emperor Kammu, although the so-called six schools of Buddhism existed in Japan, the relative superiority of the Buddhist teachings had not yet been determined. Then, during the Enryaku era (782–806), a sage appeared in this country, a man known as the Great Teacher Dengyo.

He examined the teachings of the six schools, which had already been propagated, and made all the priests of the seven major temples of Nara his disciples. In time he established a temple on Mount Hiei to serve as the head temple, and won over the other temples in the country to serve as its branches. In this way the Buddhist teachings of Japan came to be unified in a single school. The secular rule likewise was not divided but clearly established, so that the nation was purified of evil. If we were to speak of Dengyo’s accomplishments, we would have to say that they all spring from the passage [declaring the Lotus Sutra to be foremost among all the sutras the Buddha] “has preached, now preaches, and will preach.”33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts