What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

What a beautiful weekend this will be...

Chanting merrily Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A woman who embraces the lion king of the Lotus Sutra never fears any of the beasts of hell or of the realms of hungry spirits and animals."

(The Drum at the Gate of Thunder - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 949) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 25th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I hope that above all you'll live with joy, happiness, and fortitude. No matter how well you do in academics, if you constantly get into conflicts with others, causing others trouble and hurting yourself and your parents, then that isn't wise. Those who can get along harmoniously with family members and friends, and walk the path of personal growth and development with a happy, positive spirit together with others, are the true victors in life."

SGI Newsletter No. 8023, Youth Are the Protagonists of the Future, at the graduation ceremony for Soka University and Soka Women’s College, held at the Soka University Auditorium in Hachioji, Tokyo, on March 21, 2010. From the March 22nd, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated June 23rd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is perfectly alright Thomas that you have noted it here for all to see. I will make sure to differentiate between what is depicted from the WND background and what is my comments in that segment.
My addition to the background is my own understanding of the passage as it relates for me today and clearly, I am sharing just that. Anyone can have the same understanding or maybe a different one which I would welcomed.
In my comment as to "Rely on The Law and not upon person(s)" as far as the Letter context is concern, you absolutely correct and to whom it is refers to. However, in practicing this teaching today, since we are not in the same predicament of trying to choose from other teachers of other sects of Buddhism who are distorting the Lotus Sutra's massage or outwardly abolish the Lotus Sutra, even tough in reality they do exist, in our case, The Lotus Sutra for Nichiren and for us ,as Toda put it, is None other than the Gohonzon of Nam myoho renge- kyo . To rely on Gohonzon and Nam-myoho-renge-kyo does not means we are to ignore a correct teacher. It means that even teachers can lead us astray and our traverse in faith starts in embracing the Gohonzon through chanting NMRK first as Nichiren prescribed.

OK pb, I’m with you. But I want to ask that you make liberal use of the phrase, “…in my opinion.” Rather than expect the reader to know that what you are saying is just your opinion, please always say so. And I must tell you Brother, for what it’s worth, I think you run a bit of a risk when you insert meanings into phrases that are not in the context of the Daishonin’s original intent. You are taking a certain amount of literary license when you say, “While the Daishonin said this in the context of this, in this day and age it applies to that.”

For instance, based on what you wrote, one might believe that Tz’u-en was a great proponent of the Lotus Sutra that was attacked by his innate fundamental darkness as he approached perfect enlightenment, and that somehow while he sought to praise it he instead destroyed it. Are you trying to draw a parallel there with Daisaku Ikeda?

The truth is that this quote once again has no connection what-so-ever to the point you alluded to. We can always find words and phrases to attach new meanings to. Let’s face it, Tz’u-en founded the Chinese Dharma Characteristics school. He wasn’t even remotely a correct teacher—as the Daishonin noted. Yes he wrote Praising the Profundity of the Lotus Sutra, but it was written from the viewpoint of the Consciousness-Only doctrine.

It criticizes T'ient'ai's interpretation of the Lotus Sutra, asserting that the one vehicle teaching of the Lotus Sutra is a mere expedient, and that the three vehicle teaching represents the truth. This is what the Daishonin meant by saying, "This statement means that, though he intended to praise the Lotus Sutra, in the end, he destroyed it."

I see a lot of people attacking the SGI utilize this kind of re-use of the Daishonin’s words outside of their original context. Brother pb, I am not jumping your shit, I am just wanting to make sure that we understand each other clearly. Personally, I would appreciate if you didn’t allude to things and just said them straight up as your opinion.

And please understand that I won’t let this thread be a platform for anyone to attack Daisaku Ikeda. He gets enough of that elsewhere. If you want to jump his shit, you can do it there.

I don't want the bad karma.

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pb...
It is the Gohonzon of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo that we aught to put in the center of our lives as the object of observing our mind rather than seek salvation from the outer word or from other people. Therefore the entire 28 chapters directed towards this end and therefore, to propagate the Gohonzon for that reason is the "entrustment" of this task given to us today by Nichiren.

pb,

I really have no problems with what you are saying Brother. I absolutely respect you. I can immediately tell where your heart is. We are kenzoku-myo. Please work with me here. I sincerely appreciate your understanding.

In all things....

Much love and deep respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(In my opinion ;-)
Thomas,
I think you are jumping into the wrong conclusion. Sensei has been my mentor for 35 years and will be for the rest of my life. You are insinuating a negative connotation to my quotation as if I am referring to Sensei. It is obvious that many teachers will come after Sensei and the criteria and posture by which we to have faith is that no one comes between us and the Gohonzon when it comes to faith. Not even the mentor.

(In my opinion)
Our function as disciples of Nichiren is to lead others to the Gohonzon. This is the function of a mentor as well since a mentor is first and foremost a disciple, then a disciple leads others to the Law as a mentor. This is what we do as disciples. This is what Nichiren did. He declared to be the correct teacher for the Latter day of the Law by revealing what was hidden in the essential Teaching. This is none other than the Gohonzon of Nam-mam myoho--renge-kyo.

(In my opinion)
Therefore, there is no one who can stand up and say I am Nichiren of today, Nikken cannot say it nor any Mentor can say it today. Neither we can consider any Mentor or priest, for that matter, to be Nichiren of today. Therefore when we gaze at the Gohonzon we gaze at the life of Nichiren which is identical to our lives in function as common mortal while diluted and function as Buddhas while enlightened.

(In my opinion)
The reason Nichiren inscribed on the Gohonzon NMRK-Nichiren is precisely because he already fulfilled the advent as the original Buddha in the form of the Gohonzon. Therefore, No one can take his advent once more as Nichiren.

(In my opinion)
I am concern that some people feel that The Mentor, if he is a correct Mentor, can be likened or as if he is Nichiren. This is what I felt or thought for many years that Sensei is or could be. Not until recently! No one was able to answer this question of mine whether he is or not. Not even Sensei. and I asked him. However I heard many comments from senior leaders insinuating that he is in various ways.

So, My question to you. Do you see Sensei as if he is the appearance of Nichiren of today's time?

As I indicated above (in my opinion) No! No one can come and claim that; since Nichiren already appeared. Therefore we are all Nichiren's disciples including the three presidents.
Therefore, (in my opinion) any disciple or a teacher/mentor is bound to Nichiren statements I quoted in my last post regardless of the age. Teachers of The Latter Day of the Law after Nichiren are not exempt from such statements.

(In my opinion) What is good for the Goose is Good for the Gender. means if the warnings are correct in the Former and the Middle day of the Law why is it not correct for the Latter Day of the Law? This is why Nichiren brings these points.
(IN MY OPINION)
pb

Oh Ya! I am so glad that I facilitated you getting that out so quickly and so well!!! I agree I was jumping to the wrong conclusion and want to thank your gracious rebut for setting me straight! Thank you Gohonzon! Dude, let's rock!

Now I understand what you were saying. I don't, and have never ever had, even a SMALL sense that Daisaku Ikeda is the appearance of Nichiren of today's time. If you read President Toda's "Lectures", that concept would be a hard belief to justify.

I agree with everything you said. Thank you pb!

Much love and deepest respect,

T :wave:

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi everyone...we are having a good time celebrating our anniversary, cherishing every moment. Babba is such a wonderful husband, he has made this a trip I'll never forget. We are going to a giants game tomorrow, cant wait! :)
Hope everyone is doing good!

nam myoho renge kyo

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Hey guys, it's been a little bit since I've posted here. I just want to say that I am still chanting, and my gf and I are STILL FREE. Not even a court date set yet, so I'm feeling good!

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo!!!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Woooop !!!! Rock the Era !!!!!!! Soka Gakkai Youth Movement
Just got back to our hotel from the Soka Gakkai in San Fran !! What a totally inspiring morning !! Place was full of youth !! Was such a great morning .. showed up to a Community Canter full of young people ... walked in just in time for a very very strong beautiful Gongyo!! Hope everyone here is doing great ... Keep chanting !! We are off to a Giants game to get a sunburn and have some fun ... Much love to you all !!
Great to see you post up here Justalilrowdy ... thanks for a great dose of hospitality!! Payaso so happy to meet you brother !!
Nam myoho renge kyo like the roar of the lion !!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Success in our endeavours for kosen-rufu is determined by the strength of our momentum. Those who unceasingly take on any and every challenge, are the people who will most certainly win. "Today is the decisive day!" with such determination let's all advance with unstoppable momentum.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If you wish to free yourself from the sufferings of birth and death you have endured since time without beginning and to attain, without fail, unsurpassed enlightenment in this lifetime, you must perceive the mystic truth that is originally inherent in all living beings. This truth is Myoho-renge-kyo."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 3) Selection source: SGI-Switzerland member's experience, Seikyo Shimbun, June 27th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Corrupt national authorities often despise and try to oppress people striving on the side of good. We mustn’t let this happen. Genuine humanism and genuine victory lie in the solidarity of the people, in individuals who have acquired true learning. This is the kind of society we need to create."

SGI Newsletter No. 8023, Youth Are the Protagonists of the Future, at the graduation ceremony for Soka University and Soka Women’s College, held at the Soka University Auditorium in Hachioji, Tokyo, on March 21, 2010. From the March 22nd, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated June 23rd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am sincerely waiting to read pb's next post! I hope all is well on your end Brother. I want to continue talking about the subject we just started. It is an important subject for people to understand.

Much love and deepest respect,

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts