What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The teaching to be spread in the Latter Day to free people from suffering is the great Law of the Daishonin's Buddhism of sowing--that is, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo--which has the power to directly activate the Buddha nature in each individual's life, irrespective of their capacity for understanding. As the fundamental 'seed of Buddhahood' by which all Buddhas are born, the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo enables people of this defiled latter age to positively transform their lives on the most fundamental level."

SGI Newsletter No. 8010, SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series. LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [16] 'The Selection of the Time'--Part 1 (WND-1, 538-42). The Time for Worldwide Kosen-rufu, for World Peace, from the April 2010 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated June 8th, 2010.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A blue fly, if it clings to the tail of a thoroughbred horse, can travel ten thousand miles, and the green ivy that twines around the tall pine can grow to a thousand feet."

(On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land- The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 17) Selection source: "Myoji no gen", Seikyo Shimbun, June 10th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 283) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 11th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey! Over twelve thousand posts and a quarter of a million views!

:thank you: everyone!!!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas :wave:

The official "new kaikan" opening was today! It was a joy to see so many happy people! Thank you Gohonzon!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Led a nice toso last night and made my contribution towards kosen-rufu. I do it because Nichiren is alive in the Gohonzon and keeping the SGI working on Kosen-rufu this is why I continue to participate and protect the members. As this thread teaches us "even if we can only afford to give the Buddha a mudpie and we do, with the sincerity behind that gift, this is then reported to Shakymuni Buddha by Shakra and Brahma and the universe rejoices." President Toda only wanted the strongest most dedicated members to financially support any aspect of Kosen-rufu and that remains in effect today.

The greatness of the Soka Gakkai (the assembly) is only overshadowed by the greatness of the members. The magnificent results I have enjoyed since the inception of my practice are because I am wholeheartedly committed to eradicating slander/fundamental darkness/bad decision making in my life and directly supporting Kosen-rufu. So many challenges present themselves because of the true votary of the Lotus Sutra is destined to face the three obstacles and four devils in varying forms because I refuse to acquiesce to fundamental darkness.

I'm closing on my house on Monday and that we will begin a new center for kosen-rufu in my old but new neighborhood. When I finally pen the experience please note that I will certainly post it on this thread.

Through the thread the world knows our story and through the thread I've found my middle way and continue to follow that path.

Don't ever give up, we are truly invincible when we exercise our faith!

POSITIVE!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Hey! Over twelve thousand posts and a quarter of a million views!

:thank you: everyone!!!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas :wave:

The official "new kaikan" opening was today! It was a joy to see so many happy people! Thank you Gohonzon!

YOU DID IT! Now we will need to put into place a Tony Matsuoka School for the youth! Keep up the great work T! I'm definitely inspired over here!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism is a religion of 'establishing the correct teaching for the peace of the land.' 'Establishing the correct teaching' means establishing the Buddhist principles of compassion and respect for life in the hearts and minds of each protagonist of social change--in other words, each individual in society. Establishing the correct teaching consequently brings to the people 'the peace of the land'--or, a peaceful and prosperous society. 'Establishing the correct teaching'--carrying out the religious mission of practitioners of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism--can be considered to be attained through realising 'the peace of the land'--that is, achieving the social mission of practitioners.

"There can be no individual happiness unless society is peaceful and prosperous, which is why Nichiren Daishonin declares: 'If you care anything about your personal security, you should first of all pray for order and tranquillity throughout the four quarters of the land, should you not?' (WND-1, 24).

"'Tranquillity throughout the four quarters of the land' means social stability, or on a broader scale, world peace and prosperity.

"Religion does not exist for its own sake. Only when religion results in 'the peace of the land,' or social peace and prosperity, can it be said to exist for the sake of the people and its basic purpose-- relieving the sufferings of all humankind.

SGI Newsletter No. 8015, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 3, Courage 29, translated June 11th, 2010

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

T

TrichyTrichy

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Thank-you Babba's

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Gohonzon--Observing the Mind

The Gohonzon--Observing the Mind

For most people, the word "Buddha" conjures up the image of a statue of an Asian male seated in meditation. It may seem contradictory for a religion that is otherwise considered relatively abstract to give such a central place to images of this kind.

These images, however, are generally not worshipped by Buddhists in the same sense that the Biblical "heathens" are said to have worshipped their idols. Rather, they are symbolic depictions of the sublime qualities possessed by Buddhas and bodhisattvas to which practitioners aspire. Ideally, they function as a kind of mirror to aid practitioners in perceiving the profound dignity of their own lives and in manifesting that dignity in their actions.

For Buddhist practitioners, this is the core challenge, to perceive the life condition of Buddhahood in their own life. In the Buddhism of Nichiren (1222--1282) and the tradition from which it draws, this is called the practice of "observing the mind." The difficulty of achieving this is such that practitioners had traditionally to devote their lives exclusively to meditative practice. Nichiren's contribution was to establish a clear mirror, the Gohonzon, which perfectly reflects the state of Buddhahood inherent in life, and which could thus enable all people, regardless of their circumstances or ability, to draw out and manifest this Buddha nature.

The Gohonzon (lit. "object of devotion") is a scroll containing Chinese and Sanskrit script. Nichiren's use of script rather than images reflects his commitment that this "mirror" be universal, free of the connotations of race and gender inherent in depictions of specific personages. On the scroll are arranged the names of figures from the Buddhist canon, which collectively symbolize the various potentialities of life. Down its center is inscribed "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo Nichiren," in bold Chinese characters.

Myoho-renge-kyo is the Japanese version of the title of Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra (Skt Saddharma-pundarika-sutra). For the tradition within which Nichiren is situated, this sutra is regarded as Shakyamuni's most essential teaching. Nichiren regarded Myoho-renge-kyo itself as the fundamental Law or principle of the universe--of life--to which Shakyamuni was enlightened, the "essence" of Buddhahood. He writes, "Shakyamuni's practices and the virtues he consequently attained are all contained in the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo."

Nichiren's name below Nam-myoho-renge-kyo on the Gohonzon expresses his conviction that the state of Buddhahood is not an abstract concept but is manifest in the life and behavior of human beings living in the real world.

Nichiren inscribed Gohonzons for his individual followers, and believers today enshrine a printed transcription of the Gohonzon in their homes. The practice of Nichiren Buddhism is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, facing the Gohonzon, thereby harmonizing your life with--or calling forth from within--the Buddha nature which it reflects. "Nam," meaning devotion, signifies this intent of summoning or harmonizing with.

The Buddhist view of life is a profoundly holistic one that sees no essential separation between our lives and the life of the universe. When we draw forth the power of wisdom and compassion through prayer, we are drawing forth and directing the same universal wisdom and creative compassion that manifests in everything from the intelligent bonding of molecules to the symbiotic evolution of species, to the decay and formation of galaxies.

Ultimately it is belief in their own potential that enables human beings to develop and to advance in the face of difficulties. The Gohonzon is an embodiment of a belief in the unlimited potential of life. The practice associated with it is an expression and actualization of this belief.

As a "mirror," the Gohonzon could be said to perform a dual function. While it reflects and awakens us to the limitless richness and potential of our inner life, it also, in provoking introspection, helps us confront the bare reality of our life at that moment in time.

Regardless of our religious beliefs, the success of any effort to guide our life toward fulfillment and value depends largely on an ability to honestly and courageously look within--to both confront the demons of our shadow and to seek out within our own lives those qualities with which we have invested our saints and idols. It seems that now, more than ever, our collective survival depends on our ability to carry this out.

[Courtesy April 2003 SGI Quarterly]

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gosho: "The Supremacy of the Law"-Part 2 of 3, WND, vol. 1. pp. 613-15.

Theme: Each Person's Victory Contributes to the Eternal Flow of Kosen-rufu. -LB pg. 70.

Nichiren stood up alone and initiated the struggle to bring peace and prosperity to the land by establishing the right ideals and principles of Buddhism. Many humble, ordinary people--including female followers like Nichimyo--joined him in that endeavor.
And we are carring on this noble struggle today around the globe. People who stand up for their convictions are strong. They will never be daunted by storms of persecution.

People everwhere are waiting to encounter the inspiring ideals of Soka humanism.

The victory of each of us is becoming increasingly important. The victory of each of us will contribute to the eternal flow of the great river of kosen-rufu. -President Ikeda LB pg. 70.

pb4ugo

For most people, the word "Buddha" conjures up the image of a statue of an Asian male seated in meditation. It may seem contradictory for a religion that is otherwise considered relatively abstract to give such a central place to images of this kind.

These images, however, are generally not worshipped by Buddhists in the same sense that the Biblical "heathens" are said to have worshipped their idols. Rather, they are symbolic depictions of the sublime qualities possessed by Buddhas and bodhisattvas to which practitioners aspire. Ideally, they function as a kind of mirror to aid practitioners in perceiving the profound dignity of their own lives and in manifesting that dignity in their actions.

For Buddhist practitioners, this is the core challenge, to perceive the life condition of Buddhahood in their own life. In the Buddhism of Nichiren (1222--1282) and the tradition from which it draws, this is called the practice of "observing the mind." The difficulty of achieving this is such that practitioners had traditionally to devote their lives exclusively to meditative practice. Nichiren's contribution was to establish a clear mirror, the Gohonzon, which perfectly reflects the state of Buddhahood inherent in life, and which could thus enable all people, regardless of their circumstances or ability, to draw out and manifest this Buddha nature.

The Gohonzon (lit. "object of devotion") is a scroll containing Chinese and Sanskrit script. Nichiren's use of script rather than images reflects his commitment that this "mirror" be universal, free of the connotations of race and gender inherent in depictions of specific personages. On the scroll are arranged the names of figures from the Buddhist canon, which collectively symbolize the various potentialities of life. Down its center is inscribed "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo Nichiren," in bold Chinese characters.

Myoho-renge-kyo is the Japanese version of the title of Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra (Skt Saddharma-pundarika-sutra). For the tradition within which Nichiren is situated, this sutra is regarded as Shakyamuni's most essential teaching. Nichiren regarded Myoho-renge-kyo itself as the fundamental Law or principle of the universe--of life--to which Shakyamuni was enlightened, the "essence" of Buddhahood. He writes, "Shakyamuni's practices and the virtues he consequently attained are all contained in the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo."

Nichiren's name below Nam-myoho-renge-kyo on the Gohonzon expresses his conviction that the state of Buddhahood is not an abstract concept but is manifest in the life and behavior of human beings living in the real world.

Nichiren inscribed Gohonzons for his individual followers, and believers today enshrine a printed transcription of the Gohonzon in their homes. The practice of Nichiren Buddhism is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, facing the Gohonzon, thereby harmonizing your life with--or calling forth from within--the Buddha nature which it reflects. "Nam," meaning devotion, signifies this intent of summoning or harmonizing with.

The Buddhist view of life is a profoundly holistic one that sees no essential separation between our lives and the life of the universe. When we draw forth the power of wisdom and compassion through prayer, we are drawing forth and directing the same universal wisdom and creative compassion that manifests in everything from the intelligent bonding of molecules to the symbiotic evolution of species, to the decay and formation of galaxies.

Ultimately it is belief in their own potential that enables human beings to develop and to advance in the face of difficulties. The Gohonzon is an embodiment of a belief in the unlimited potential of life. The practice associated with it is an expression and actualization of this belief.

As a "mirror," the Gohonzon could be said to perform a dual function. While it reflects and awakens us to the limitless richness and potential of our inner life, it also, in provoking introspection, helps us confront the bare reality of our life at that moment in time.

Regardless of our religious beliefs, the success of any effort to guide our life toward fulfillment and value depends largely on an ability to honestly and courageously look within--to both confront the demons of our shadow and to seek out within our own lives those qualities with which we have invested our saints and idols. It seems that now, more than ever, our collective survival depends on our ability to carry this out.

[Courtesy April 2003 SGI Quarterly]
Thank you for posting material from Living Buddhism when the substance used to be more directed to wards faith in the Gohonzon and Nam-myoho-renge-kyo vs. what we read now a days which is mostly directed to wards the Oneness of Mentor and Disciple rather to wards the Oneness of the Person(s) and the Law.

This is my first post here
and many more to come.
pb

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The mrs and I are leaving the site for personal reasons ... Its been nice . We love you all and will always miss you . Please continue to chant for Peace around the world !!
Nam myoho renge kyo

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I'm very sorry to hear that Mr and Mrs Babbabud.

I sincerely hope everything works out well in the future for both of you, in hardship, love and peace.

You surely will be missed around here by everyone. :ying:

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts