Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EasyMyohoDisco

Knock Knock?
Who's there?
Aren't ya....
Aren't ya who?
Aren't ya gonna go to a meeting and pick up your Gohonzon already!

:tiphat: I'll be here all week folks!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spent a few days camping at a festy ... seeing Furthur!! Hope all is well with everyone !!
Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"My wish is that all my disciples make a great vow. We are very fortunate to be alive after the widespread epidemics that occurred last year and the year before.

But now with the impending Mongol invasion it appears that few will survive. In the end, no one can escape death. The sufferings at that time will be exactly like what we are experiencing now. Since death is the same in either case, you should be willing to offer your life for the Lotus Sutra. Think of this offering as a drop of dew rejoining the ocean, or a speck of dust returning to the earth."

(The Dragon Gate - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1003) Selection source: Gosho study for June, Seikyo Shimbun, June 1st, 2010

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Great are the ordinary people--this was the deeply held conviction of Mr. Toda, an indomitable champion of the Mystic Law.

"...we should eternally learn from Mr. Toda and pass on to future generations is this spirit of placing the people first.

"Mr. Toda always aligned himself with the people, and he shared the joys and struggles of members striving bravely on the front lines of society. 'Let's reach out to those who are suffering the most,' he said: 'Isn't it the Soka Gakkai's mission to be their ally, share with them the greatness of the Mystic Law, and help them become happy?'

"There were also many members who applied themselves energetically to their jobs, who deeply took to heart his guidance, 'In faith, do the work of one; in your job, do the work of three.' It was a priceless and concrete piece of advice based on the passage from the Daishonin's writings: 'Regard your service to your lord as the practice of the Lotus Sutra' (WND-1, 905)."

SGI Newsletter No. 8006, OUR BRILLIANT PATH TO VICTORY, My Mentor, Josei Toda--Part 2 [of 2], translated June 1st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's by being victorious in the morning that we set the pace for being victorious throughout the day! To make this happen, it's important to try to go to bed early every night. Let's 'strengthen our faith day by day and month after month,'* by starting out each day with a fresh, new resolve!

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho: On Persecutions Befalling the Sage - WND-1, pg 997, "Strengthen your faith day by day and month after month."

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Because Buddhism has gradually been turned upside down, the secular world also
has been plunged into corruption and chaos. Buddhism is like the body, and
society like the shadow. When the body bends, so does the shadow. How fortunate
that all of my disciples who follow the Buddha's true intention will naturally
flow into the ocean of comprehensive wisdom!

(WND, 1039)
A Comparison of the Lotus and Other Sutras
Written to Toki Jonin on May 26, 1280

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Those who believe in the Lotus Sutra are as if in winter, but winter always
turns to spring. Never, from ancient times on, has anyone heard or seen of
winter turning back to autumn. Nor have we ever beard of a believer in the Lotus
Sutra who turned into an ordinary person. The sutra reads, "If there are those
who hear the Law, then not a one will fail to attain Buddhahood."

(WND, 536)
Winter Always Turns to Spring
Written to the lay nun Myoichi in May 1275

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Mr. Toda once said to a young women's division member: 'If you aren't going to create happiness in the place where you are now, where else are you going to find it?' We must develop inner strength. We need to transform ourselves and become people who aren't defeated by life's struggles.

"The English poet John Milton (1608-74) wrote: 'Our faith and knowledge thrives by exercise, as well as our limbs and complexion.'

"I hope you will continue challenging yourselves based on your Buddhist practice and bring victory to bloom in your communities and societies."

SGI Newsletter No. 8006, OUR BRILLIANT PATH TO VICTORY, My Mentor, Josei Toda--Part 2 [of 2], translated June 1st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered."

(On Prayer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 345) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 2nd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Ordinary people keep in mind the words 'earnest resolve' and thereby become Buddhas."

(The Gift of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1125) Selection source: "Kibo no Izumi", Seikyo Shimbun, May 23rd, 2010

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The heart of the Buddha's lifetime of teachings is the Lotus Sutra, and the
heart of the practice of the Lotus Sutra is found in the "Never Disparaging"
chapter. What does bodhisattva Never Disparaging's profound respect for people
signify? The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the
lord of teachings, lies in his behavior as a human being.

(WND, 851-52)
The Three Kinds of Treasures
Written to Shijo Kingo on September 11, 1277

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
No matter where we go, we cannot escape from the sufferings that are part and
parcel of life. If we cannot avoid these sufferings, then our only choice is to
overcome them. And since we have no choice but to overcome them, then we might
as well live joyfully and vigorously while doing so. Let's continue to strive
and chant daimoku to the end.

Daisaku Ikeda

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please lets chant for Lucy ... thank you all so much for your compassion.

Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"...the important thing is to have a stand-alone spirit. When Mr. Toda was inaugurated as the second president of the Soka Gakkai, he vowed that he would personally take on the task of kosen-rufu. Rather than relying on others, we each need to stand up decisively and begin with taking action ourselves.

"Mr. Toda offered the following well-known guidance to the members of the youth division, when it had grown to approximately 20,000 members: 'It just takes one person--one person standing alone. Anything can be accomplished when one person rises to action with a solid, self-reliant commitment.”

E

EasyMyohoDisco

I'm chanting for Lucy! I'll get others to join me tonight in this regard.

We support you Babba!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The reason that you have survived until now when so many have died was so that you would meet with this affair."

(Reply to Yasaburo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 829) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 4th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Therefore a person who upholds the Lotus Sutra is repaying the debt of gratitude owed to father and mother. Even if one does not feel in one's own heart that one can do so, one can repay it through the power of this sutra."

(The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 638) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 24th, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.