What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Respectful conduct towards others like that epitomised by Bodhisattva Never Disparaging in the Lotus Sutra. A strong commitment unshaken by any opposition or obstacle. A readiness to stand up against inhumanity and injustice. A wonderful example of winning trust in our immediate environment and promoting understanding of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Through such daily efforts as SGI members, we are engaging in a lofty spiritual struggle to refute the erroneous and reveal the true. I wish to declare that such efforts constitute the practice of shakubuku in modern times."

SGI Newsletter No. 7973*, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [14] 'On Practising the Buddha's Teachings'--Part 2 [of 3] The Compassionate Practice of Shakubuku, from the February 2010 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated April 5th, 2010

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Wow I just noticed PasstheDoobie, hit 5,000 posts! That's 5,000 encouraging posts and countless encouraging private conversations. PasstheDoobie you kicked off the thread and you're a humble and straigtforward dude, so please accept my gratitude and thanks for jumping off this thread. The impact of starting this thread and giving me a place to do some serious participation on a public forum with very private things. I keep it real because I have nothing to hide and everything to gain, like keeping this practicing going for the rest of my life.

Bonz, came back and I'm thrilled about that. The Core Chanting Growers are active and some others who got their Gohonzon through the encouragement of this thread may not be posting as often and I wish we could hear from them soon. I've had some tough times this past year. However, this Buddhism we practice is of the highest importance for me because the amount of time we can chant to our Gohonzon is so limited everyday that we miss out on the genuine benefit of chanting daimoku in your own house as you please. I've been inspired by this thread to do some big things and one thing I'm doing is creating a main meeting center at my new home for the local SGI.

This extra support to my local area (2 districts) is something I understood since last year to be the right move through my daimoku because I'm seriously compelled to help others in anyway possible especially in my family, at work, and also with my friends. That's my version of Mugi Wasshin, I'm just practicing what I preach in my life. I know whats coming and according to Nichiren Daishonin the Buddha of Beginingless Time it won't be pretty for someone trying to do it correctly. I sincerely vow to remain steadfast in my faith through it all and can guarantee to all that I chant everyday and night to have Gohonzon for the rest of this life and the next. That is the next most important thing than my Daimoku. Soon I'll have a cemented life long anchor daily time and area to really honor Life, the Bodhisattvas and Buddhas on this earth. I'm one of them and many of you are.

This thread has been telling me personally for years now "All you gotta do man is chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and live your life". I'm glad I have not let people get in the way of me single-mindedly seeking to be the Buddha, see the Buddha, help the Buddha, protect the Buddha and honor the Buddha. I write alot of stuff that is hard for even me to digest on a bad day with a crummy disposition, but I'm dedicated to this movement and sorta blog at will on this puppy and love the results!

When I go back a few pages (or even a few hundred) I remember things in my life and steps I took to get where I am and am going. This thread spans years of Buddhist pratice and the constant string of victories is amazing. Even when heretics, especially those that directly challenge our practice test the merit of our words and intent- they quicker get their heads chopped into the seven pieces even if they come and test us Bodhisattvas chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Thanks for chanting for my friend, he got out and although the hurdle he has to overcome is mountainous (and some), with the Gohonzon nothing impossible. I made sure to be there when he got out and reinforced my intent by giving him my Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! cards. Its more important to help others chant than to just ignore or avoid those in need. I'm down with being a good human.

:wave:

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Slanderers of this thread Beware - You have no idea what your getting into!

Slanderers of this thread Beware - You have no idea what your getting into!

Part III: 2. The Mistaken View of the Lifeblood or Transmission of the Law

Erroneous Doctrine and Behavior

Nichiren Shoshu bases its assertions concerning the belief in the high priest as absolutely infallible in the matters concerning Buddhism on an erroneous view of the lifeblood (lineage) or the correct transmission (or heritage) of the Law. In other words, they hold the view the lifeblood as an inscrutable and exclusive mysterious essence that is passed on only from one high priest to the next. In the aforementioned Noke Document, senior priests of Nichiren Shoshu wrote:

The foundation of this school is the Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of True Buddhism and the high priest, who alone has inherited the Living Essence of the Law directly from the former high priest for the heritage of Buddhism exists in the high priest's venerable life that is one with the Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of True Buddhism. Therefore, our faith in these two fundamentals must be absolute. (Dai-Nichiren, Sept. 1991)

Further, the Noke Document also states: The lifeblood of the water of the Law, which is passed on to only one person, is surely the entity of the Law of the oneness of person and the Law (Dai-Nichiren, Sept. 1991). However, this mystifying view of the lifeblood was created generations after the Daishonin's time to assert the authority of the high priest. It is an erroneous doctrine with no relation to Nichiren Daishonin or Nikko Shonin's teachings.

Originally, the use of the term life- blood became popular within the esoteric True Word or Japanese Tendai schools. This term compares the transmission of teachings from teacher to disciple to blood flowing through a blood vessel or to inheri- tances passed from a father to a son. The same word in Japanese refers to both kinds of lifeblood.

Japanese Buddhism during the Daishonin's time had developed a tradition of secretly transmitting teachings to a very small group of individuals. In contrast to this, Nichi- ren Daishonin stated, Nichiren has been trying to awaken all the people of Japan to faith in the Lotus Sutra so that they too can share the heritage and attain Buddhahood (The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life, WND, 217).

With this statement, he denies the idea that the heritage is a secret transmission of the teachings, and declares it something open to all. In addition, in the same writing, the Daishonin says, even embracing the Lotus Sutra would be useless without the heritage of faith (WND, 217). Thus the Daishonin emphasizes that the essence of the lifeblood or heritage is faith. In other words, heritage is another name for correct faith.

Past high priests have even commented on the heritage based on the Daishonin's view. Nichiu, the ninth high priest, stated in his writing On the Formalities, Whether we speak of faith or the lifeblood or the water of the Law, they are all the same thing. To activate faith is in essence no different from this. If we do not depart from faith since the time of the founder... our bodies and minds are themselves the bodies and minds of Myoho-renge-kyo (Essential Writings of the Fuji School. Vol. 1, p. 64). Also, Nichiko, the 59th high priest, wrote, Faith, the lifeblood, and the water of the Law are essentially the same thing. When the water of the Law is passed on in accordance with or through faith, this is called the bestowal or transmittal of the lifeblood. Because of this, so long as our faith is eternally unmovable and unperturbed, and we put that faith into action, then, this flow of the water of the Law will never subside (p. 176).

As is clear from these passages, there is no lifeblood or Heritage of the Law without correct faith in the spirit of Nichiren Daishonin and Nikko Shonin's writings. Even though one prays to the correct object of devotion, one must also practice with correct faith to manifest benefit. Rather, as Nichiren Daishonin states, Even if my counsel is heeded, if I am not given due respect as the votary of the Lotus Sutra, then the country will perish. (The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra, WND, p. 773).

(from: http://www.sokaspirit.org/study/ref...w-of-the-lifeblood-or-transmission-of-the-law )

*WE GOT NO PRIESTS TO SWAY US OR TO CONTROL US. If someone poses as an intermediary between us and the Gohonzon that is surely the devil of the sixth heaven. Compassion is the key and those who do not grasp the all inclusive nature of our specific practice should read more of this thread and seek more parallels from your life to ours!*

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"When one carries out the single practice of exercising faith in Myoho-renge-kyo, there are no blessings that fail to come to one, and no good karma that does not begin to work on one's behalf. It is like the case of a fishing net: though the net is composed of innumerable small meshes, when one pulls on the main cord of the net, there are no meshes that do not move. Or it is like a garment: though the garment is composed of countless tiny threads, when one pulls on a corner of the garment, there are no threads that are not drawn along."

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 133
Conversation between a Sage and an Unenlightened Man

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"All disciples and lay supporters of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the spirit of many in body but one in mind, transcending all differences among themselves to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim. This spiritual bond is the basis for the universal transmission of the ultimate Law of life and death."

(The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 217)
Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 28th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We live the proof of actual fact. Never fear the challenges that you face. With faith, you cannot be defeated. That's why the Chanting Growers motto has become:

Don't be afraid.

Don't be defeated.

Faith!

Victory of Gold!!!

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

(Thank you to my dear friend for starting my day with an hour and a half of Daimoku!)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If we go by this passage of the sutra, then it would seem that Brahma, Shakra, the gods of the sun and moon, and the four heavenly kings ought day and night to guard and protect those persons who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

(On Reprimanding Hachiman - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 936)Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 29th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Hope becomes the energy for advance that repels adversity."

SGI Newsletter No. 8002, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 3, Courage 14, translated May 27th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The surest way to change society is by striving to become a person who shines with a golden light that no one can fail to recognize."

SGI Newsletter No. 8002, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 3, Courage 13, translated May 27th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I definitely will win!" Everything begins from our earnest, single-minded chanting and decisive determination. The foundation for any victory is nothing but our daimoku and courage!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"For though one's trustworthiness may at first go unnoticed, in time it will be openly rewarded."

(The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 636) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 17th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Just as flowers open up and bear fruit, just as the moon appears and invariably grows full, just as a lamp becomes brighter when oil is added, and just as plants and trees flourish with rain, so will human beings never fail to prosper when they make good causes."

(The Third Day of the New Year - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1013) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, May 20th, 2010

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Gotta Chant Daimoku! Gotta Chant Daimoku!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just some thoughts laying down in print:

Face it, MOST people think their happiness and suffering lie OUTSIDE of themselves.

That's the world we live in.

If we can break through that illusion in our own lives, we can realize that we are turning around years...lifetimes...of devaluing our life. We must praise it instead!

When we chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to the Gohonzon, this is exactly what we are doing.

When we change this illusion, which is the fundamental darkness that lies in each of our lives then we can see the tremendous changes in our own environments. Everything! Spriritually, Physically and Materially.

As it says in the Gosho "the wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat."

It is so astounding to me to be surrounded by such great Buddhas here in the Chanting Growers.

My deepest appreciation and thanks to all!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

:thank you: SoCal!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"For all of us, there are times when we must stand up. There are crucial moments when we must fight. We must take timely and appropriate action, not letting those opportunities slip by. And we must win without fail. This is the path of mentor and disciple and the eternal essence of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism. There is no greater source of pride.

SGI Newsletter No. 8000, SGI President Ikeda’s Poem, Shine On Brilliantly, Our May 3rd! From the May 3rd, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated May 25th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Those who call themselves my disciples and practise the Lotus Sutra should all practise as I do."

(On Establishing the Four Bodhisattvas as the Object of Devotion - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 978) Selection source: "Suntetsu", Seikyo Shimbun, May 30th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"My mentor, second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda, encouraged members who were battling adversity: 'Every time you get back up on your feet, firmly determined not to be defeated, the more strongly you will be able to manifest your Buddhahood,' and 'Those who experience indescribable hardships and go on to surmount them are true victors.'

"To refuse to be defeated by negative forces or obstacles that seek to obstruct kosen-rufu; to be determined to transform all poison into medicine--when we chant and take action with this spirit, we can tap the persevering power of the Buddha from within us. Another name for a Buddha is One Who Can Endure."

SGI Newsletter No. 7997, June Editorial, 'Still I Am Not Discouraged,' from the June 2010 issue of Daibyakurenge, translated May 18th, 2010

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

With the energy of a lion we must chant harder and longer for relief from the demons trolling through our lives.

Chanting reveals the strength within...use it or lose it.

I am glad this thread is here...and thankful for all the friends I have made through it.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When you shake your head, your hair sways; when your mind begins to work, your body moves. When a strong wind blows, the grass and trees can no longer remain still, when the earth shakes, the seas are atremble. Thus if one can move Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, can the grass and trees fail to respond, can the waters remain calm?"

(Concerning the Statue of Shakyamuni Buddha Fashioned by Nichigen-nyo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 811) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 31st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Mystic Law has the inimitable power to even move the macrocosm. By chanting daimoku with strong and profound conviction, let's decisively confront and overcome all obstacles, even the seemingly impossible! With unyielding confidence and determination to win, let's keep advancing, no matter what!

Daisaku Ikeda

Status
Not open for further replies.