What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
DG,

If you, or anyone else on this list for that matter, does not have a Gohonzon, please get one. We can help you connect to a local organization.

If you do not have a Gohonzon yet and are not yet connected to a local group please let us know. We will help you!

The organization exists to help people to practice and recieve Gohonzon.

I'm chanting for all Growing Chanters to step up reach out and grasp your soon to be cherished Gohonzon.

Thanks for mentioning this Babba you are on target!!! I'll be sending Diamoku for the success of the Babba's meeting tomorrow!!!!

cheers,

Thank you Wilson! I've had so much going on in the garden, that I've not set aside the time to inquire about locating a local organization...my bad, I know. I do promise to look into this. ;)

The Gohonzon helped me turn all my enemies into good friends! Chanting is Chanting only with your Gohonzon. My Kenzoku and our dear brothers Babba and Wilson are 100 percent correct. We learned through experience that it is the Gohonzon with Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! written down the middle and Nichiren among the other characters of our Gohonzon encompass the Buddhahood we reflect when we Chant with our Gohonzon.

I've only urged those at the stage of chanting to actively seek and receive their Gohonzon. Like many others I learned about this practice through the thread four years ago. I've been doing this ever since and am very active. Its been a natural progression and for me mostly on an upward trajectory.

I don't need to use any psychological mechanisms to understand this practice beyond pure logic. However, the foundation of this practice is rooted in faith and only through faith can we achieve that _______ which we are seeking. Chanting is sooooooo many times better with the Gohonzon and Nichiren inscribed the Gohonzon for us to use it and help others untap their innate Buddhahood too.

Nichiren is the Gohonzon as I see it. The Gohonzon is really Nichiren and I'm really in there too. I've chanted so much in front of my Gohonzon freely that I've never really stuck to anything besides growing more than I have with my Buddhist Practice. The most intriguing thing for me see is how Nichiren is right in my foyer/dining room and I'm so fortunate beyond measure ever since this practice rooted itself in my existence. When I finish my education I'll help children also diligently pursue their education because I believe the Gohonzon will inspire so many more people through my efforts that kosen-rufu is underway and functioning just as Nichiren predicted and scheduled.

I'm just thrilled that I owe the ultimate earthly gratitude to my living teachers who supercede any other living mentors and they are members of this thread humble and pure of heart! The true mentor, the true disciple, the true seeker, the true friend is none other than anyone and anywhere you look because everyone is endowed with Buddhahood and so is everything. I'm convinced that as a student of the chanting growers through so much after neglecting the thread in pursuit of marijuana adventures and hashish dreams, I came around with Babba's help and soon PasstheDOOB, Socal started saying hey Go get your Gohonzon!

I got stoned and I went! I showed up with a serious cotton mouth and eventually got my Gohonzon with a few more days as you could reference back in 2006 under the posted for "Unamed" as I had to delete my former account for security issues. However, I'm just thrilled to be here and love the progress we're making and have made :)

Get your Gohonzon and lets get together and chant! My lady and my closest friends chant with great results and have received their Gohonzon. Babba just posted his setup and has a meeting tonight WOOOOOT!

I'm excited! WOOOT. Keep up the great work yall!

Peace!
easy...are you saying I should not be chanting without having the Gohonzon? I'm a bit confused, PTD knows I don't have Gohonzon yet (keeps encouraging me though!....thank you T) and he still urges me to chant. :confused:

Nam myoho renge kyo
Meeting went real well :) Small but very inspiring with plans to get larger !!
Looks like "T" has been absent for a bit ... a lot going on in the world. Lets be sure to get some chants in for him and S-Man too.
Nam myoho renge kyo
Really wish I could have made it there Babba. Being on the other side of the planet, and going to the dam for the cup...well, it was logistics that kept me from being able to partake in your invite. Sounds like you had a nice meeting, and look forward to taking you up on your gracious invitation sometime in the future. ;)

Much love and respect to you all!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

ohh no DG, always chant with or without your Gohonzon. I was just trying to say the results I've gotten from chanting with Gohonzon enshrined in my home is like comparing night to day!

Thanks for sharing! I'm very grateful to know we're truly on the same path to enlightenment and happiness.

Wilson!

Thank you Wilson! I've had so much going on in the garden, that I've not set aside the time to inquire about locating a local organization...my bad, I know. I do promise to look into this. ;)

Here's a link that can get you to your local org.

http://www.sgi.org/sgilinks.html

I'd be very happy to arrange an introduction for you. PM me if you'd like me to do that please.

Your sincere effort is what is most important imho. Having the Gohonzon is like having a compass that guides through challenging seas, and is like opening a window to a sunny rainbow day after a storm. It's like a perfectly warm bath and ahhhhh.

cheers,

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

From "A Roadmap to Happiness. Material for the 2010 October Introductory Exam", in Living Buddhism, May-June 2010, page 85.

What Should We Keep In Mind While We Chant?

In Nichiren Buddhism, action is most important. Only by taking action and applying our Buddhist practice to our day-to-day challenges can we demonstrate the real power of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. This becomes apparent through our character, our benefits and our victories in life.

Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Having faith in and practising the Mystic Law enables us to freely bring forth the wisdom and creativity to succeed in life, work, and various diverse endeavours in society. This is the power of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, which is an unsurpassed teaching of life and humanity."

SGI Newsletter No. 7978, YOUTH AND THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN, Work and Faith--Part 2 [of 2], from the Feb. 18th, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 12th, 2010

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There has been much going on! The boys started school this week, and the wife is on her second trip out of the country in the last three weeks. Plus IT IS SPRINGTIME FOLKS!

So I have been busy, as well as distracted, as well as--even though I have kept up my Daimoku and just finished another million last week--frankly just feeling a bit vulnerable. I've been in a kind of pissy mood for no reason. The Devil of the 6th really nailed me with S-man. I won't be right again until I succeed in changing the course of events I have absolutely no control over. It's time to stretch the Buddha Nature rather than rationalize my limitations. After two weeks, I am sick of this shit.

Everything else in my life is wonderful (except the wife and I got into an argument before she left town and wasn't speaking to me). My kids are unbelievable! You should see them dance!

It's a wonderful sight to see!

Much love and deepest respect,

T

(DG! Keep on chanting! Never stop! Once you finally see the Gohonzon--as I have told you several times--I have confidence you will immediately perceive why we have been emphasizing you getting yours. That time will come. KEEP CHANTING! (As we can all see you so obviously are!)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Youthfulness

Youthfulness

Buddhism squarely faces the reality of the "four sufferings" of birth, aging, sickness and death, but as SGI President Daisaku Ikeda comments, "It is important to remember that aging and growing old are not necessarily the same thing . . . There are certainly many people who, as they age, become increasingly vigorous and energetic, more broad-minded and tolerant, living with a greater sense of freedom and assurance."

Such people remain youthful by developing and holding onto hope, enthusiasm, optimism and forward motion, and they seem to have suffered no erosion of the spirit with the passing of time. Sadly, there are also younger people who have already lost hope and seem prematurely old.

Perhaps, Ikeda suggests, in order to acquire true youthfulness, we must repeatedly make fresh determinations right up until the last moment of our lives. He draws on the message of the Lotus Sutra to show that it is in our commitment to the happiness and well-being of others that we experience this kind of "extension" or expansion of our lives.

The Lotus Sutra is unique among Buddhist scriptures in that it promises that those who hear it can find perpetual youth and eternal life. Happiness is not found in a heaven-like afterworld, but amidst the trials and challenges of real life. By developing and deepening our compassion for others, it is possible to attain an inner state of life which touches the eternal and seems to transcend death.

Shakyamuni describes the quality of his own enlightenment as an eternal and enduring life-state characterized by constant vitality and rejuvenation. He then stresses that it is his unchanging wish to enable all people to experience this elevated condition of life. The question, then, is just how we can attain that same eternally fresh and youthful state of life.

The Lotus Sutra provides the model of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging who, through his deeply respectful attitude toward everyone he met, sought to awaken others to the inherent Buddhahood within their lives, even as he was mocked and vilified for this. The result of his actions and his attitude was the attainment of the enlightened life condition of a Buddha. Similarly, the way to elevate our own state of life is through a personal commitment to taking action for the happiness of both ourselves and others.

Nichiren, the 13th-century Japanese founder of the Lotus Sutra-based school of Buddhism practiced by the members of the SGI, believed that a fundamental desire to contribute to the happiness of self and others is something already shared at the deepest level by all people, but that often our own preoccupations and problems prevent us from perceiving it.

When we wholeheartedly commit ourselves to "remembering" or retrieving that wish or vow from our subconscious mind and living an engaged and contributive life, we can tap previously unknown resources of wisdom, courage and compassion--in other words, the Buddha state. This does not literally mean that our physical lives will necessarily become longer, but when we awaken to and attune our lives to this deeper compassionate purpose, the whole quality and experience of living will be enhanced so that a single moment can become a profound and joyful experience in which we discover limitless energy and vitality.

Through such an awakening, people who have been overwhelmed by their own suffering can begin to live a purposeful life in which their own compassion, creativity and will determine their direction. This, rather than any counting of years or days, is what Buddhism means by a state in which we can enjoy perpetual youthfulness.

[Courtesy October 2009 SGI Quarterly]

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Hi everybody! Babba has been kicking rump lately! I went to Texas for a nieces wedding last week and family reunion!!! T keep climbing, up, up, up, & away!... Towards that peak that's all yours as we are to you bro!!!....more later, Love you all!!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Desi! There you are man! I love you dude, and you and your bovine valve had the shit worried out of me for the last few months! I wanted to give you a big shout out when you said the bombs had quit dropping, but it seemed they had started dropping here instead. I truly chanted a lot for you Brother. I am so happy you are safe! So SO happy!

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas (Sister T, I think about you every day!)

Chant for S-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Lapides, does your move mean you are out of the woods?)

Swamp, where you at buddy? How's the new home?

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Hi everybody! Babba has been kicking rump lately! I went to Texas for a nieces wedding last week and family reunion!!! T keep climbing, up, up, up, & away!... Towards that peak that's all yours as we are to you bro!!!....more later, Love you all!!!

Thanks so much !!! Just trying to stay on track. The wife woke me up a while back and ive stayed on track by doing Gonyo and Daimoku daily. Coming to this thread daily and reading is an awesome help!!! Thanks to each and everyone of you for your support and love. Once you get a good string going it gets much easier to chant then not to chant.
Thanks so much for everyones post and great energy here. Your compassion and encouragement is what keeps us focused and in front of Gohonzon working it out everyday!! Thanks so much!!!!!
Lets keep the Daimoku going for S-man !!

Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Becoming a Buddha is nothing extraordinary. If you chant Nam-myoho-renge- kyo with your whole heart, you will naturally become endowed with the Buddha's thirty-two features and eighty characteristics. "

(Letter to Niike - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1030) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 31st 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"An indefatigable commitment to self-improvement and a spirit of challenge makes life exciting and fulfilling."

SGI Newsletter No. 7969, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 2, Light of Learning 31, translated March 30th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A quick shout-out to my dear friends! Hey Bud and Mrs.B! Hey SoCal and Easy! Hey Wilson! Hey Chris! Hey Trichy and DG! Hey Sleepy!

Desi it's so good to have you home! Stay with us!

Forest, I hope you are gaining in faith while you are losing those pounds! Never go back!

Everyone chant for Bonz! Where are Hitman and Scegy? Chant for them too!

Chant for our friend Payaso! Life is struggle but we are equiped to be victors! Never give up!!!

Chant for Lapides and swampdank. They are in new places with new opportunities. Let's wish them the best in finding them.

Hey Bruja64, always2theLeft, BOG, Caille, Delta, Flo, N.Accumbens, treehuggers, tRuKemist, and WAMEN!!!

I pray for all of the best for all of my friends! Don't be afraid! Don't be defeated! Faith!!! Victory of GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas (Chant for S-MAN!)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And how could I forget my dear friend Stevius?!?:wave:

:thank you:

...to everyone who reads this thread and have contributed to it being, for all these years! The end of year six is less than three months away!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Six years 'eh? I've been chanting for Four outta the six and while I avoided this thread's practice for two years because I was farming in the land of hell eventually I grew beyond my circumstances and joined the kosen-rufu movement for life. It's as simple as chanting everyday, making good causes towards chanting and supporting others with their chanting. Having an impact on others is what I do. I recently joined the Legal Division meetings in the city and continue to support the SGI everyday.

Today I will speak about Soka Justice (with Matilda Buck) and the date April 24, 1979 when Daisaku Ikeda had to step-down and resign (as I once did on this thread). The Nichiren Shoshu priesthood wanted to oust Ikeda and thereby attempt control the entire kosen-rufu movement. With a stand alone spirit, daimoku and a great mission (that is also currently underway in my life) Ikeda continued to achieve growth personally and in 2003 published these words about this day I speak of:

"I came to a decision. I would travel around the world, encouraging members in Japan from outside. Though I had resigned as president of the Soka Gakkai, I refused to let anyone stop me being active as president of the SGI. The Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin is a Buddhism of fighting for peace . . . Who had the right to stop me from taking action for world peace? Besides, those who were trying to undermine me out of their own petty jealousies and personal motives weren't the least bit interested in such activities anyway. In the autumn of 1980, I embarked on what was to become a year of traveling around the globe, starting with a trip to the United States."

Nobody can stop us in our personal missions if our resolve is absolute, the more we chant for Justice in our lives the more the sound we make when we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! will resonate in the lives of others. The soothing sound is the melody of True Cause and to me, it is the best cause to continue to chant in the face of adversary and especially during the good times!

I've got my own practice and if this site would've disappeared when Gypsy was threatened in the past, I would still be practicing everyday. I will continue to physically, financially and spiritually support this movement going forward because the proof is in the pudding! Think of Bill Cobsy inspired by the Gohonzon saying nice and slow: "Now keep chanting for the zim zam and the bobbidy bibidy. And if you keep chanting like VOOOM! Then get ready for the most splendiforous pudding pop you have ever seen! NAWnaw":artist:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In work, as in everything, winning in the morning is decisive. Start your day by chanting earnestly to the Gohonzon and then set off to work brimming with strong life-force. Greet your colleagues with a friendly 'Good morning!' As the Daishonin says, 'The voice does the Buddha's work' (cf. OTT, 4). Be ready to use your voice to lift the spirits of your co-workers and brighten the atmosphere at your workplace.

"You can't hope to win trust at your workplace if you frequently come in late or come in looking dishevelled and unkempt. Winning in the morning is the key to winning in life."

SGI Newsletter No. 7978, YOUTH AND THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN, Work and Faith--Part 2 [of 2], from the Feb. 18th, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 12th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Hence, if the Law that one embraces is supreme, then the person who embraces it must accordingly be foremost among all others."

(Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 61) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's speech, Seikyo Shimbun, April 18th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"From now on too, no matter what may happen, you must not slacken in the least. You must raise your voice all the more and admonish [those who slander]. "

(Kamatari Suggests the Fashioning of a Buddha Image - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 597)Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 16th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"People who bring joy to everything they do in life are strong, because in so doing, they express their autonomy instead of being driven simply by a sense of duty."

SGI Newsletter No. 7975, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 2, Light of Learning 40, translated April 8th, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.