What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
There is no retirement age in faith. Sincere faith never ages. Those who exert
themselves for the sake of the Law are ever young. Our heart is what matters
most. Let us strive to the end of our days for kosen-rufu.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
This teaching was not propagated in the Former or Middle Day of the Law because
the other sutras had not yet lost their power of benefit. Now, in the Latter Day
of the Law, neither the Lotus Sutra nor the other sutras lead to enlightenment.
Only Nam-myoho-renge-kyo can do so. This is not my own judgment. Shakyamuni,
Many Treasures, the Buddhas of the ten directions, and the bodhisattvas who
emerged from the earth as numerous as the dust particles of a thousand worlds
have so determined it.

(WND, 903)
The Teachings for the Latter Day
Written to Nanjo Tokimitsu on April 1, 1278

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Strength is the source of happiness. We mustn't shy away from life's challenges.
We mustn't be defeated. Refusing to be defeated equals victory. A person who
perseveres to the end is a winner. In the course of promoting our movement, the
Soka Gakkai has never pulled back in the face of any hindrance. We have kept
moving forward. And that is the key to our success. Never to retreat a single
step, no matter what -- that is the Soka Gakkai spirit. Those who embrace this
spirit can achieve unlimited victory.

Daisaku Ikeda

E

EasyMyohoDisco

I gotta chant more and more. Life gets really fucked up when I'm not chanting. Glad I also did gongyo this morning cus I really needed it.

Keep up the daimoku folks thats why I haven't quit this thread. I'm sorry sometimes I deleted my old sn cus it fucked up the thread slightly by not referencing my name in my beginning posts, but I'm here in the flesh still writing more and more.

Peace to all.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From Words of Wisdom, by President Ikeda, on "Religion and Faith". www.ikedaquotes.org.

Faith in Buddhism is not blind faith that rejects reason. It is in fact a rational function, a process of the cultivation of wisdom that begins with a spirit of reverent searching. The impulse of true reason is to continuously and eternally transcend the confines of the present self. It aims to reach beyond its grasp, always higher, always transcending itself. The source of energy and foundation for that constant search is faith in something larger than oneself. Faith purifies reason, strengthens it, and elevates it.

Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Become the master of your mind rather than let your mind master you."

(Letter to the Brothers - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 502) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 9th, 2010

E

EasyMyohoDisco

It's really Easy To Appreciate Your Buddha-nature!

It's really Easy To Appreciate Your Buddha-nature!

HOWDY DEAREST FAMILY:

I was in a minor fender bender yesterday where I was hit in the rear and tapped another in front of me. This must have been the 4th or 6th accident I've been involved in my life! I know that's quite a few; your brother is a very wild Bodhisattva. So things could've gone worse, but I'm in tune with the Protective Forces of Nature BABY! I appreciate them all the time and really appreciate Gohonzon sooooooooooooooooooooo much!

Today I chanted like a beast! SOO much chanting, it felt amazing! I feel amazing right now. This Wednesday is Babba's first meeting at the hacienda that's crib for the layman! I'm totally stoked about that, I'm even more stoked about the rest of this year for us! T has a center, Babba is chanting at the crib and soon with others, and I'm hoping to get this house and get the meetings going again real soon. I love seeing a gathering of real life walking talking Buddha's and Bodhisattva's chilling in my home appreciating Gohonzon with me.

See how easy it is to appreciate all your efforts in this diligent practice. This business about chanting with a Zange spirit is money in the bank. I'm like linked via a super Myoho-ethernet connection to Nichiren on Eagle Peak 24/7, no lag BABY. The intention of this letter is document another amazingly great day enriched with appreciation for the Mystic Law of Cause and effect brought upon by yours truly The Buddha of Beginningless Time!

Humbly yours,
MyohoDisco

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Easy so glad to hear no one was hurt. So glad it triggered the proper response. Chanting ... so happy things are looking positive about the house. Your chanting encourages the rest of us to chant ... thanks so much
Nam myoho renge kyo !!

Wilson!

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Monday, April 12, 2010

It's important to remember that your prayers always reflect your state of life. In that respect, prayer is a solemn means to raise your life-condition. And to get exactly the results that you're praying for, it is crucial to make determined, single-minded efforts toward that goal. That is the true path of manifesting faith in daily life. Those of you who proceed along this path day after day, year after year, will without fail develop—just like saplings into mighty trees—becoming people of outstanding strength and character.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Above all, both you and your husband are upholders of the Lotus Sutra. You will
surely bear a jewel of a child who is going to inherit the seed for the
propagation of the Lotus Sutra. I wholeheartedly congratulate you. The child is
the one who will inherit both your physical and spiritual aspects.

(WND, 186)
Easy Delivery of a Fortune Child
Written to Nichigen-nyo on May 7, 1271

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
In describing the first, second, and third of the five stages of practice, the
Buddha restricts those at these stages from practicing precepts and meditation,
and places all emphasis upon the single factor of wisdom. And because our wisdom
is inadequate, he teaches us a substitute faith for wisdom, making this single
word "faith" the foundation.

(WND, 785)
On the Four Stages of Faith and the Five Stages of Practice
Written to Toki Jonin on April 10, 1277

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
As long as our mind of faith is connected to the Gohonzon, our benefits will
never disappear. That's why it is vital for us to persevere in our Buddhist
practice throughout our lives, no matter what, even if on some days our physical
condition or other circumstances prevent us from doing gongyo and chanting
daimoku to our full satisfaction. Those who continue to challenge themselves to
the end savor ultimate victory.

Daisaku Ikeda

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
^^^Thank you SoCal. There are some days I get very busy and unfocused, sometimes I say to myself, 'I'll chant later'....and sometimes later doesn't happen, then I get a feeling sorta odd to explain, like a feeling of being unworthy perhaps. I've now adopted a new rhythm to my day/night...when I'm in the gardens (they require a LOT of attention) I chant as I'm watering the plants. At night, I run a big jacuzzi bath, light candles, and chant sometimes so long that the water gets cold before I notice, hey the water is colder....so I add more hot water and continue. :biggrin: But all in all, I do try my best to include time for chanting, even if I'm doing something else like gardening or bathing. Is this acceptable?

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Of course its acceptable to chant anywhere your comfortable or uncomfortable for that matter. Of course the goal here is to recieve Gohonzon . But chanting in the shower or the car or the bath or the garden are all great places to start!!!
Nam myoho renge kyo .... Lets keep that Daimoku train rolling !!!

Nam myoho renge kyo

Wilson!

Who does not have a Gohonzon?

Who does not have a Gohonzon?

DG,

If you, or anyone else on this list for that matter, does not have a Gohonzon, please get one. We can help you connect to a local organization.

If you do not have a Gohonzon yet and are not yet connected to a local group please let us know. We will help you!

The organization exists to help people to practice and recieve Gohonzon.

I'm chanting for all Growing Chanters to step up reach out and grasp your soon to be cherished Gohonzon.

Thanks for mentioning this Babba you are on target!!! I'll be sending Diamoku for the success of the Babba's meeting tomorrow!!!!

cheers,

E

EasyMyohoDisco

The Gohonzon helped me turn all my enemies into good friends! Chanting is Chanting only with your Gohonzon. My Kenzoku and our dear brothers Babba and Wilson are 100 percent correct. We learned through experience that it is the Gohonzon with Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! written down the middle and Nichiren among the other characters of our Gohonzon encompass the Buddhahood we reflect when we Chant with our Gohonzon.

I've only urged those at the stage of chanting to actively seek and receive their Gohonzon. Like many others I learned about this practice through the thread four years ago. I've been doing this ever since and am very active. Its been a natural progression and for me mostly on an upward trajectory.

I don't need to use any psychological mechanisms to understand this practice beyond pure logic. However, the foundation of this practice is rooted in faith and only through faith can we achieve that _______ which we are seeking. Chanting is sooooooo many times better with the Gohonzon and Nichiren inscribed the Gohonzon for us to use it and help others untap their innate Buddhahood too.

Nichiren is the Gohonzon as I see it. The Gohonzon is really Nichiren and I'm really in there too. I've chanted so much in front of my Gohonzon freely that I've never really stuck to anything besides growing more than I have with my Buddhist Practice. The most intriguing thing for me see is how Nichiren is right in my foyer/dining room and I'm so fortunate beyond measure ever since this practice rooted itself in my existence. When I finish my education I'll help children also diligently pursue their education because I believe the Gohonzon will inspire so many more people through my efforts that kosen-rufu is underway and functioning just as Nichiren predicted and scheduled.

I'm just thrilled that I owe the ultimate earthly gratitude to my living teachers who supercede any other living mentors and they are members of this thread humble and pure of heart! The true mentor, the true disciple, the true seeker, the true friend is none other than anyone and anywhere you look because everyone is endowed with Buddhahood and so is everything. I'm convinced that as a student of the chanting growers through so much after neglecting the thread in pursuit of marijuana adventures and hashish dreams, I came around with Babba's help and soon PasstheDOOB, Socal started saying hey Go get your Gohonzon!

I got stoned and I went! I showed up with a serious cotton mouth and eventually got my Gohonzon with a few more days as you could reference back in 2006 under the posted for "Unamed" as I had to delete my former account for security issues. However, I'm just thrilled to be here and love the progress we're making and have made :)

Get your Gohonzon and lets get together and chant! My lady and my closest friends chant with great results and have received their Gohonzon. Babba just posted his setup and has a meeting tonight WOOOOOT!

I'm excited! WOOOT. Keep up the great work yall!

Peace!

Last edited by a moderator:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

picture.php

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo
Meeting went real well :) Small but very inspiring with plans to get larger !!
Looks like "T" has been absent for a bit ... a lot going on in the world. Lets be sure to get some chants in for him and S-Man too.
Nam myoho renge kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.