What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EasyMyohoDisco

I'm Nichiren Daishonin's Disciple.

I'm Nichiren Daishonin's Disciple.

"Teach this doctrine to others clearly as I have taught you these many years. Those who call themselves my disciples and practice the Lotus Sutra should all practice as I do. If they do so, Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, Shakyamuni's emanations throughout the ten directions, and the ten demon daughters will protect them."

Nichiren Daishonin - (On Establishing the Four Bodhisattvas as the Object of Devotion WND-p.134)

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I'm the Daishonin's Disciple too!

I'm the Daishonin's Disciple too!

President Toda used to say, "Become individuals who are strong physically, intellectually and spiritually." To be strong in all three areas is the ideal. Many people may be strong in one or two of these areas, but only when all three are combined can we enjoy a well-balanced life, a life of resounding victory. Those who cultivate such all-around strength are never defeated.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"I have received your request for prayers for your father, and I will
offer them before the Buddha. Concerning prayer, there are
conspicuous prayer and conspicuous response, conspicuous prayer and
inconspicuous response, inconspicuous prayer and inconspicuous
response, and inconspicuous prayer and conspicuous response. But the
only essential point is that, if you believe in this sutra, all your
desires will be fulfilled in both the present and the future. The
third volume of the Lotus Sutra states, "Although the devil and the
devil's people will be there, they will all protect the Law of the
Buddha."1 And the seventh volume states, "[If a
person who has an illness is able to hear this sutra, then] his
illness will be wiped out and he will know neither old age nor
death."2 You must not doubt these golden words. I deeply appreciate
the lay nun Myoichi's3 visit to this mountain. I have given her a
written scroll. You should open it and read it. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

Nichiren

The tenth day of the eighth month in the second year of Kenji (1276),
cyclical sign hinoe-ne

To the lay priest Domyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
There is much research being done today to explain the Soka Gakkai's
phenomenal growth along with its seemingly limitless successes.

The Buddhist Concept of the Human Being: From the Viewpoint of the
Philosophy of the Soka Gakkai.

http://www.sgi.org/matsuoka.html

By Dr. Mikio Matsuoka
Researcher, Institute of Oriental Philosophy
Head of Doctrinal Studies, Association of Reformist Priests

[Published in The Journal of Oriental Studies, Vol 15, 2005]

Introduction

1. Buddhism as a human-centered religion

1.1 The path to human-centered social reform
1.2 The Law and compassion
1.3 The individual's own power (jiriki) and external power (tariki)
1.4 Mentor and disciple

2. A Buddhist view of humanity

2.1 Cosmic subjectivity--the rationale for human dignity
2.2 The self-discipline of compassion and active morality--the ethics
of the subjective human being
2.3 Interdependence and the oneness of good and evil--the formation of
human beings who live in symbiosis

Conclusion

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Respecting Others and Ourselves

Respecting Others and Ourselves

Q: What do I do about the people I just can't get along with?

A: Just as there are some foods you find distasteful, having people in your enviroment whom you dislike is an unavoidable part of life. While there's nothing wrong with not particularly liking certain people, it is wrong to put them down or behave in a hostile way toward them. They have the same right to exist as you do and to have their own opinions and ways of doing things. It's important to cultivate a broad-minded outlook. Also, Buddhism teaches the interrelatedness of all people and things, and how we treat others will affect our own lives--so it is important to be respectful in our behavior both for others' sake as well as our own.

From p.31 of SGI President Ikeda's book The Way of Youth, in which he uses the timeless wisdom of Buddhism to address the problems and concerns of today's youth.

Hi everybody! This Q & A really strikes a cord in me. It reminds me of a piece out of the Desiderata Poem that my father left for his children. I used it as my sig before I joined you all in this endless climb for eternal happiness.

The one thing I know,.....is if one of us slips or looses our grip on the rope of life, we all feel it up or down our climb of Mt. Eagle Peak, on our way to the top.

We are never alone........as we are always together even in Hell, as Nichiren has reminded us.......as En's birthday post quoted.

Respect to you all!.......Desi :jump:

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If one lights a fire for others, one will brighten one's own way."

(On the Three Virtues of Food - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 1060) Selection source: Living Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, December 14th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Mr. Makiguchi often used to say: 'In life, there are bound to be times of adversity. Those times are the most decisive. That is when you must strive your hardest, persevering through all, no matter what. You mustn't lose courage. That way, good times will definitely come to you again.'"

SGI Newsletter No. 7670, EXECUTIVE LEADERS CONFERENCE--PART 1 [OF 2]. Challenging Our Human Revolution, from the Nov. 14th, 2008, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Dec. 9th, 2008.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, no matter what happens."

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 681) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 13th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The spirit of refuting falsehood and error is the essence of the Daishonin's Buddhism. In a letter to his disciple Shijo Kingo, who spoke of the greatness of the Mystic Law to his feudal lord, a follower of the corrupt priest Ryokan of Gokuraku-ji temple, Nichiren Daishonin writes: 'How admirable it is that... you communicated this teaching [the Lotus Sutra] to your lord and urged him to take faith in it. Even though he may fail to accept it now, you have managed to avoid the offence of complicity' (WND-1, 461). Remaining silent in the face of evil and injustice is actually a form of support for them. It's tantamount to being an accomplice. The true spirit of the Daishonin's Buddhism is to fight tirelessly against such abuses and triumph through the power of words.

"The great Russian author Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910) wrote: 'It is impossible to live without a knowledge of the difference between good and evil.' One cannot lead a truly meaningful life without being able to distinguish between good and evil, and it is a sound philosophy of life that teaches this."

SGI Newsletter No. 7670, EXECUTIVE LEADERS CONFERENCE--PART 1 [OF 2]. Challenging Our Human Revolution, from the Nov. 14th, 2008, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Dec. 9th, 2008.

Hitman

Couldn't state it any more clearly

Couldn't state it any more clearly

PassTheDoobie said:
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, no matter what happens."

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 681) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 13th, 2008

Couldn't agree with you more, T.

Push on, strive on, live it up, cry it out. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
A woman who embraces the lion king of the Lotus Sutra never fears any
of the beasts of hell or of the realms of hungry spirits and animals.
All the offenses committed by a woman in her lifetime are like dry
grass, and the single character myo of the Lotus Sutra is like a small
spark. When a small spark is set to a large expanse of grass, not only
the grass but also the big trees and large stones will all be consumed.
Such is the power of the fire of wisdom in the single character myo.
Not only will all offenses vanish, but they will become sources of
benefit. This is what changing poison into amrita means.

(WND, 949)
The Drum at the Gate of Thunder
Written to the lay nun Sennichi on October 19, 1278

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Faith manifests itself as wisdom. The purpose of our faith is to become
wise, so that we can live wisely. The desire to save others becomes
merely an abstract goal if those who practice faith cannot communicate
with their own children nor build strong and happy families.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
This person as he advances through the world" means that the first five
hundred years of the Latter Day of the Law will witness the advent of
Bodhisattva Superior Practices, who will illuminate the darkness of
ignorance and earthly desires with the light of the five characters of
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. In accordance with this passage, Nichiren, as this
bodhisattva's envoy, has urged the people of Japan to accept and uphold
the Lotus Sutra. His unremitting efforts never slacken, even her on
this mountain.

(WND, 993)
Letter to Jakunichi-bo
Written to Jakunichi-bo Nikke on September 16, 1279

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"If you wish to free yourself from the sufferings of birth
and death you have endured since time without beginning
and to attain without fail unsurpassed enlightenment in
this lifetime, you must perceive the mystic truth that is
originally inherent in all living beings."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 3).

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"The culmination of the Daishonin's struggle to propagate the Law is the
revelation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo of the Three Great Secret Laws, the entity
of the Law for kosen-rufu (the establishment of world peace).

The first of the Three Great Secret Laws is the object of devotion of the
essential teaching. The Daishonin embodied the supremely noble life-state of
his own enlightenment in this object of devotion, the Gohonzon, in order to
enable us to become aware of the supremely noble life-state that inherently
exists in all human beings.

The second of the Three Great Secret Laws is the daimoku of the essential teaching. It consists of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo oneself and teaching others to do the same--Nam-myoho-renge-kyo being the name of this supremely noble state of life, or Buddha nature.

And the third of the Three Great Secret Laws is the sanctuary of the essential teaching. This serves as the foundation for constructing a harmonious community of believers (Skt. sangha), whose members encourage each other to maintain firm faith in Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and vow together to propagate the Law and actualize the principle of establishing the correct teaching for the peace of the land.

Based on these three elements, practitioners of the Daishonin's Buddhism strive to realize kosen-rufu by bringing the brilliance of the infinitely precious Mystic Law to shine in people's lives and in the land where they reside."

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Joy is not simply your personal, eogoistic happiness. Nor is it making others happy at the expense of your own happiness. You and the others delighting together, you and the others becoming happy together. This is the Mystic Law and the wondrous thing about our realm of Kosen-Rufu. The Daishonin states, "Joy means that both oneself and others have wisdom and compassion"

Daisaku Ikeda

Status
Not open for further replies.