What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On Repaying Debts of Gratitude / WND pg. 690 (continued)

Let us turn now to the Great Teacher Kobo. At the time of the great drought in the second month of the first year of Tencho (824), the emperor ordered Shubin to pray for rain, and within seven days Shubin was able to make rain fall. But the rain fell only in the capital and did not extend to the countryside.

Kobo was then ordered to take over the prayers for rain, but seven days passed and there was no sign of it. Another seven days passed and there still were no clouds. After seven more days had passed, the emperor ordered Wake no Matsuna to go and present offerings in Shinsen'en garden, (85) whereupon rain fell from the sky for a period of three days. The Great Teacher Kobo and his disciples thereupon proceeded to appropriate this rain and claim it as their own, and for more than four hundred years now, it has been known as "Kobo's rain."

The Great Teacher Jikaku said he had a dream in which he shot down the sun. And the Great Teacher Kobo told a great falsehood, claiming that, in the spring of the ninth year of the Konin era (818), when he was praying for an end to the great epidemic, the sun came out in the middle of the night.

Since the kalpa of formation, when the earth took shape, down to the (86) ninth period of decrease in the kalpa of continuance, twenty-nine kalpas have passed by, but in all that time, the sun has never been known to come out at night! As to the Great Teacher Jikaku's dream of the sun, where in all the five thousand or seven thousand volumes of the Buddhist scriptures or the three thousand or more volumes of the Confucian and Taoist scriptures is it recorded that to dream of shooting the sun is auspicious? The king of the asuras, angered at the deity Shakra, shot an arrow at the sun god, but the arrow came back and struck the king (87) himself in the eye. King Chou of the Yin dynasty used the sun as a target for his arrows, and in the end he was destroyed.

In Japan, in the reign of Emperor Jimmu, the emperor's elder brother Itsuse no Mikoto engaged in battle (88) with the chieftain of Tomi, and Itsuse no Mikoto was wounded in the hand by an arrow. He said, "I am a descendant of the sun deity. But because I have drawn my bow while facing the sun, I have incurred this punishment from the sun deity."

In India, King Ajatashatru renounced his earlier mistaken views and became a follower of the Buddha. He returned to his palace and lay down to sleep, but later rose up in alarm and said to his ministers, "I have dreamed that the sun has left the sky and fallen to the earth!" His ministers said, "Perhaps this means the passing away of the (89) Buddha." Subhadra also had the same kind of dream just before the Buddha passed away.

It would be particularly inauspicious to dream [as Jikaku claims he did] of shooting the sun in Japan, since the supreme deity in Japan is the Sun Goddess, and the name of the country, Japan, means "source of the sun." In addition, Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, is called Sun Seed because his mother, Lady Maya, dreamed that she conceived the sun and in time gave birth to this child, the crown prince.

The Great Teacher Jikaku established the Thus Come One Mahavairochana as the object of devotion on Mount Hiei and rejected Shakyamuni Buddha. He paid honor to the three True Word sutras and acted as an enemy to the Lotus Sutra and its two companion sutras. That was no doubt the reason why he dreamed this dream of shooting the sun.

On the subject of dreams, there is also the case of the priest Shan-tao in China. In his youth he met a priest (90) named Ming-sheng of Mi-chou and received instruction in the Lotus Sutra. Later, however, when he met Tao-ch'o, he threw aside the Lotus Sutra and put all his trust in the Meditation Sutra. He even wrote a commentary on the sutra, which asserted that with the Lotus Sutra, not even one person in a thousand can be saved, whereas the Nembutsu practice insures that ten persons out of ten and a hundred persons out of a hundred will be reborn in the Pure Land. In order to prove his point, he prayed before Amida Buddha to confirm whether or not his views accorded with the Buddha's intent. His commentary says, "Every night in a dream a priest would appear and tell me what to write," and "Therefore, this commentary should be regarded with the same respect as the sutra itself." It also says, "The Teaching on Meditation Sutra should also be revered as though it were a sutra."

The Lotus Sutra says, "If there are those who hear the Law, then not a (91) one will fail to attain Buddhahood." But Shan-tao says that not even one in (92) a thousand will be saved. The Lotus Sutra and Shan-tao are as different as fire is from water. Shan-tao says that with the Meditation Sutra ten persons out of ten and a hundred persons out of a hundred will be reborn in the Pure Land. But in the Immeasurable Meanings Sutra the Buddha says that in the Meditation Sutra "I have not yet revealed the truth." The Immeasurable Meanings Sutra and this priest of the (93) Willow Tree are as far apart as heaven and earth.

In view of this, can we really believe that Amida Buddha took the form of a priest and appeared to Shan-tao in dreams to assure him that his commentary represented the truth? Was not Amida among those present when the Lotus Sutra was preached, and did he not extend his tongue along with the other Buddhas and testify to the truth of the sutra? Were his attendants, the bodhisattvas Perceiver of the World's Sounds and Great Power, not also present when the Lotus Sutra was preached? The answers to these questions are obvious, and in like manner, if we stop to think of it, we can see that Jikaku's dream was a portent of evil.

Question: The Great Teacher Kobo in his Secret Key to the Heart Sutra writes: "In the spring of the ninth year of Konin, the empire was troubled by a great plague. Thereupon the emperor in person dipped his writing brush in gold, took a piece of dark blue paper in his hand, and wrote out a copy of the Heart Sutra in one roll. I had been appointed by the ruler to lecture on the Heart Sutra. Having compiled my explanations of its meaning, I [was delivering the lecture but] had not yet reached my concluding remarks, when those who had recovered from the plague began to fill the streets of the capital. Moreover, when night came, the sun continued to shine bright and red.

"This was certainly not the result of any virtuous observance of the precepts on the part of an ignorant person like myself, but was due rather to the power of faith manifested by the sovereign (94) as the gold-wheel-turning king. Nevertheless, those who go to pray at the shrines of the gods should recite this commentary of mine. For I was present long ago at Eagle Peak when the Buddha preached the Heart Sutra, and I personally heard him expound its profound doctrines. How, then, could I fail to understand its meaning?"

Again in the work entitled The Annotations on the Peacock Sutra, we read: "After the Great Teacher Kobo returned from China, he desired to establish the True Word school in Japan, and representatives of all the various schools were summoned to the imperial court. But many of them had doubts about the True Word doctrine of the attaining of Buddhahood in one's present form. The great teacher thereupon formed his hands in the wisdom mudra and faced south. Suddenly his mouth opened, and he turned into the golden-colored Buddha Mahavairochana - that is, he reverted to his original form. In this way he demonstrated that the Buddha is present in the individual and that the individual is present in the Buddha, and that one can immediately attain Buddhahood in one's present form. On that day, all doubts concerning the matter were completely resolved, and from that (95) time the True Word, or Yoga, school with its doctrines of secret mandalas was established."

The same work also says: "At this time the students of the other schools all bowed to the opinion of the Great Teacher Kobo and for the first time received instruction in the True Word doctrines, sought their benefit, and practiced them. Dosho of the Three Treatises school, Gennin of the Dharma (96) Characteristics school, Doyu of the Flower Garland school, and Encho of the Tendai school were all among those who did so."

In addition, the biography of the Great Teacher Kobo states: "On the day when he set out by ship from China, he voiced a prayer, saying, 'If there is a spot that is particularly suitable for the teaching of these doctrines that I have learned, may this three-pronged diamond-pounder land there!' Then he faced in the direction of Japan and threw the diamond-pounder up into the air. It sailed far away and disappeared among the clouds. In the tenth month, he returned to Japan."

The same work states: "He journeyed to the foot of Mount Koya and determined to establish his place of meditation there . . . and later it was discovered that the three-pronged diamond-pounder that he had thrown out over the sea was there on the mountain."

It is clear from these two or three incidents that the Great Teacher Kobo was a person of inestimable power and virtue. Since he was a person of such great power, why do you say that one should not believe in his teachings, and that anyone who does so will fall into the Avichi hell?

Answer: I, too, admire and believe in these various accomplishments of his. There are other men of old who possessed such uncanny powers. But the possession of such power does not indicate whether that person's understanding of the Buddhist teaching is correct or not. Among the non-Buddhist believers of India there have been men who could pour all the waters of the Ganges River into their ear and keep it there for twelve years, or those who could drink the ocean dry, grasp the sun and moon in their hands, or change the disciples of Shakyamuni Buddha into oxen or sheep. But such powers only made them more arrogant than ever and caused them to create further karma to confine themselves in the sufferings of birth and death. It is men like these whom T'ien-t'ai is referring to when he says, "They seek after fame and profit and increase their (97) illusions of thought and desire."

The Chinese priest Fa-yün of Kuang-che-ssu temple could make it rain suddenly or cause flowers to bloom immediately, but Miao-lo writes of him, "Though he could bring about a response in this way, his understanding still did not accord with the truth [of (98) the Lotus Sutra]." When the Great Teacher T'ien-t'ai read the Lotus Sutra, soft rain began to fall in an instant, and the Great Teacher Dengyo caused sweet rain to fall within the space of three days. However, they did not say that because of such powers their understanding of the truth coincided with that of the Buddha.

Regardless of what unusual powers the Great Teacher Kobo may have had, he described the Lotus Sutra as a doctrine of childish theory and wrote that Shakyamuni Buddha was still in the region of darkness. Persons of wisdom and understanding should have nothing to do with such writings.

Say what you may, there are surely doubtful points in the accounts of Kobo's powers you have just cited. The text says, "In the spring of the ninth year of Konin, the empire was troubled by a great plague." But spring is ninety (99) days long. On which day of which month of spring did this happen? This is the first doubtful point.

Secondly, was there in fact an outbreak of plague in the ninth year of Konin?

Thirdly, the text says, "When night came, the sun continued to shine bright and red." If it really did so, then this is an occurrence of major importance. During the ninth year of Konin, Emperor Saga reigned. But did the court (100) historians of the left and right record any such event?

Even if they had, it would be difficult to believe. During the twenty kalpas of the kalpa of formation and nine kalpas of the kalpa of continuance, a total of twenty-nine kalpas, never once has such a thing occurred. What then is this about the sun appearing in the middle of the night? In all the sacred teachings expounded by the Thus Come One Shakyamuni during his lifetime, there is no mention of any such thing. And in the Three Records and the Five Canons of China, which describe the three sovereigns and five emperors of antiquity, there is no prediction that at some future date the sun will come out in the middle of the night. In the scriptures of Buddhism, we are told that, in the kalpa of decline, two suns, three suns, or even seven suns will appear, but these will appear in the daytime, not at night. And if the sun should appear at night in our own region, the continent of Jambudvipa in the south, then what about the other three regions of the east, west, and north?

Regardless of what the Buddhist scriptures or the secular works may have to say about such an event, if in fact there were some entry in the daily records of the courtiers, the other families of the capital, or the priests of Mount Hiei saying that in the spring of the ninth year of Konin, in such and such a month, on such and such a day, at such and such an hour of the night the sun appeared, then we might perhaps believe it. [But no such record exists.]

Later, the text says, "I was present long ago at Eagle Peak when the Buddha preached the Heart Sutra, and I personally heard him expound its profound doctrines." This is surely a wild falsehood that is intended to make people have faith in his commentary. If not, are we to believe that at Eagle Peak the Buddha announced that the Lotus Sutra was a piece of childish theory and that the Mahavairochana Sutra represented the truth, and that Ananda and Manjushri were simply mistaken in saying that the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law represents the truth?

As for making it rain, even a woman who was licentious and a priest who (101) was a breaker of the precepts were able by their poems to cause rain to fall. Yet Kobo prayed for twenty-one days and still it did not rain, so what sort of powers could he have possessed? This is the fourth doubtful point.

On the Peacock Sutra states, "The great teacher [Kobo] thereupon formed his hands in the wisdom mudra and faced south. Suddenly his mouth opened, and he turned into the golden-colored Buddha Mahavairochana." Now in what year of the reign of what ruler did this happen?

In China from the time of the Chien-yüan era (140-134 BCE), and in Japan from the time of the Taiho era (701-704), among the records of events kept by priests and the laity, those of important occurrences have always been accompanied by the name of the era in which they took place. With an event as important as that described, why then is there no mention of who the ruler was, who his high ministers were, what the name of the era was, or what day and hour the event took place?

The passage goes on to list "Dosho of the Three Treatises school, Gennin of the Dharma Characteristics school, Doyu of the Flower Garland school, and Encho of the Tendai school" [as those who learned the True Word doctrines from Kobo]. Encho is known posthumously as the Great Teacher Jakko and was the second chief priest of the Tendai school. Now at that time, why was Gishin, the first chief priest, or the Great Teacher Dengyo, the founder of the school, not invited to be present? Encho, the second chief priest of the Tendai school, was a disciple of the Great Teacher Dengyo and also became a disciple of the Great Teacher Kobo. Rather than inviting a disciple or rather than inviting men of the Three Treatises, Dharma Characteristics, and Flower Garland schools, why did Kobo not invite the two most important men of the Tendai school, Dengyo and Gishin?

Speaking of the time when these men were invited, On the Peacock Sutra states, "From that time the True Word, or Yoga, school with its doctrines of secret mandalas was established." This would seem to refer to a time when both Dengyo and Gishin were still alive. From the second year of Daido (807), in the reign of Emperor Heizei, until the thirteenth year of Konin (822) [when Dengyo died], Kobo was very active in spreading the True Word doctrines, and during this period both Dengyo and Gishin were still alive. Moreover, Gishin lived on until the tenth year of Tencho (833). Had Kobo's True Word teachings not been spread by that time? The whole matter is very strange.

On the Peacock Sutra was written by (102) Shinzei, a disciple of Kobo, and therefore it is difficult to trust what it says. Is it likely that a person of such deluded views would have troubled to read the writings of the courtiers, the other important families, or Encho on which to base his account? One should also check the writings of Dosho, Gennin, and Doyu to see if they have anything to say on the matter.

The text says, "Suddenly his mouth opened, and he turned into the golden-colored Buddha Mahavairochana." What does it mean by the expression "his mouth opened"? The writer probably intended to write the characters meaning the "area between the (103) eye-brows," but he mistakenly wrote those for "mouth" instead. Because he wrote a book of fabrications, he quite likely made mistakes of this kind.

The whole passage says: "The great teacher thereupon formed his hands in the wisdom mudra and faced south. Suddenly his mouth opened, and he turned into the golden-colored Buddha Mahavairochana."

Now in the fifth volume of the Nirvana Sutra we read: "Kashyapa spoke to the Buddha, saying: 'World-Honored One, I will no longer depend upon the four ranks of sages. Why is this? Because in the Ghoshila Sutra that the Buddha preached for the sake (104) of Ghoshila, it is said that the devil king in heaven, because he is determined to try to destroy the Buddhist teachings, will turn himself into the likeness of a Buddha. He will have all the thirty-two features and eighty characteristics of a Buddha, will be solemn and imposing in appearance, and a round halo of light will radiate from him ten feet in all directions. His face will be round and full like the moon at its fullest and brightest, and the tuft of white hair in between his eyebrows will be whiter than snow. . . . From his left side will come water, and from his right side will come fire.'"

Again, in the sixth volume of the Nirvana Sutra, it is recorded: "The Buddha announced to Kashyapa: 'After I have passed into nirvana . . . this devil king Papiyas will in time try to destroy the correct teaching of mine. . . . He will change his form into that of an arhat or a Buddha. The devil king, though still subject to illusion, will assume the form of one who has been freed from illusion, and will try to destroy the correct teaching of mine.'"

The Great Teacher Kobo declared that, in comparison to the Flower Garland and Mahavairochana sutras, the Lotus Sutra was a piece of childish theory. And this same man, we are told, appeared in the form of a Buddha. He must be the devil who, as the Nirvana Sutra states, will change his shape, which is still subject to illusion, into that of a Buddha and attempt to destroy the correct teaching of Shakyamuni.

This "correct teaching" referred to in the Nirvana Sutra is the Lotus Sutra. Therefore, we find later on in the Nirvana Sutra the statement "It has already been a long time since I attained Buddhahood." The text also says, "[When this sutra was preached . . . the prediction had already been made] in the Lotus Sutra [that the eight thousand voice-hearers would attain Buddhahood]."

Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, and the Buddhas of the ten directions declared with regard to the various sutras that the Lotus Sutra represents the truth; the Mahavairochana and all the other sutras do not represent the truth. Yet the Great Teacher Kobo appeared in the form of a Buddha and announced that, compared to the Flower Garland and Mahavairochana sutras, the Lotus Sutra is a piece of childish theory. If the words of the Buddha are true, then Kobo must be none other than the devil king in heaven, must he not?

Again, the matter of the three-pronged diamond-pounder appears to be particularly suspicious. It would be difficult to believe even if a Chinese [who had not known the circumstances] had come to Japan and happened to dig up the pounder. Surely someone must have been sent earlier to bury it in that particular spot. Since Kobo was a Japanese, he could have arranged such a thing. There are many such wild and absurd stories associated with his name. Such incidents hardly lend support to the assertion that his teachings accord with the will of the Buddha.

Notes:

85. Shinsen'en was a garden established by Emperor Kammu within the imperial palace in Kyoto. It was the site of a large pond where prayers for rain were performed. According to Genko Era Biographies, a dragon lived in this pond, and when it made an appearance, rain would fall. Matsuna's offerings were made to this dragon.
86. "The ninth period of decrease" cor-responds to the present age. See kalpa of continuance in Glossary.
87. A dissolute ruler who was conquered by King Wu of the Chou dynasty. According to Records of the Historian, he had a human figure made and called it a heavenly god, and caused people to treat it with contempt. Moreover, it is said that he shot arrows at a leather bag filled with blood, claiming that he had shot the god of the sun.
88. The chieftain of Tomi refers to Nagasunebiko, a powerful local leader in Yamato. According to The Chronicles of Japan, Jimmu, the legendary first emperor, proceeded southward to invade the Yamato region, where he was engaged in battle by Nagasunebiko and driven back.
89. The last convert of Shakyamuni Buddha. According to The Treatise on the Great Perfection of Wisdom, he had a dream in which all people were deprived of their eyesight and left standing naked in the darkness, whereupon the sun fell from the sky, the earth cracked, the seas ran dry, and Mount Sumeru was toppled by a great wind. In the morning, being told that the Buddha would enter nirvana before the next day, he went to Shakyamuni and joined the Order, and that night attained the state of arhat.
90. Ming-sheng (n.d.) was a priest of the Three Treatises school during the T'ang dynasty. He was a disciple of Fa-lang, and Chia-hsiang was one of his fellow priests.
91. Lotus Sutra, chap. 2.
92. Praising Rebirth in the Pure Land.
93. "This priest of the Willow Tree" refers to Shan-tao, who was so called because he is said to have attempted to commit suicide by hanging himself from a branch of a willow tree in front of the temple where he lived in hopes of going to the Pure Land. However, either the rope or the willow branch broke, and he fell to the ground. He died a week later in torment from his injuries.
94. One of the four types of wheel-turning kings. The king who rules all the four continents surrounding Mount Sumeru.
95. Yoga (Skt), or "union," is another name for the True Word school. Esoteric Buddhism stresses the union of the body, voice, and mind of common mortals with those of Mahavairochana Buddha. In terms of practice, mudras represent the body, mantras, the voice, and meditation on mandalas, the mind.
96. Dosho (799-875) first studied the Three Treatises doctrines but later became a follower of Kobo. Gennin (818-887) first studied the Dharma Characteristics doctrines but later studied the esoteric teachings under Shinga. In 885, he became the chief priest of To-ji temple. Doyu (d. 851) first studied the Dharma Characteristics teachings but later turned to the Flower Garland doctrines. He became the seventh patriarch of the Flower Garland school.
97. The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra.
98. The Annotations on "The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra."
99. The ninety-day period from the beginning of the first month through the end of the third. In the lunar calendar, the first day of the first month was regarded as the beginning of spring.
100. "Court historian" was an official position of the Grand Council of State. There were eight altogether: four of the left and four of the right. A historian of the left recorded events; a historian of the right recorded the words of the emperor.
101. A reference to the poet and court lady-in-waiting Izumi Shikibu (b. c. 976) and the priest Noin (b. 988), whose works include poems that express prayers for rain.
102. Shinzei (800-860) was a priest of the True Word school. He was granted the position of acharya, which qualifies one to transmit the secret doctrines of the True Word.
103. This implies one of the thirty-two features of a Buddha, a tuft of white hair between the eyebrows.
104. Ghoshila was a wealthy householder of Kaushambi, who built Ghoshilavana Monastery to invite Shakyamuni Buddha to preach.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
D

dre86

I'm also interested in Buddhism... It's the belief that comes closest to my ideas...The only thing that keeps me from becoming buddhist is that you can't smoke anymore then....

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dre86 I am a Buddhist and I do not smoke any less. Buddha is all things at all times. Buddhist are people.... and you will find a very very large diverse group amongst buddhist. Everything from Rich men to bums on the street. Best of all there is no higher or lower, we are all on our pathways to buddhahood.
nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I have often mentioned before, it is said that, where there is unseen virtue, there will be visible reward. Your fellow samurai all slandered you to your lord, and he also has wondered if it was true, but because you have for some years now honestly maintained a strong desire for your lord's welfare in his next life, you received a blessing like this. This is just the beginning; be confident that the great reward also is sure to come.

[ Unseen Virtue and Visible Reward, WND Page 907 ]

G

dre86 said:
I'm also interested in Buddhism... It's the belief that comes closest to my ideas...The only thing that keeps me from becoming buddhist is that you can't smoke anymore then....

Sorry to jump in, but this is a subject I have pondered and reflected on.

There are different schools of buddhism with different methods for different people. The buddha once had a student who was simple minded , he couldn't remember even the simplest mantra. He was discounted by everyone because they thought he was so stupid. The Buddha found him crying because he thought he couldn't become enlightenedd and gave him a practice: rubbing a hankerchief. It's a long story, but he became enlightened and went on to be quite a character. Its actually very inspiring because it shows that anyone can become enlightened at any time and that the practice is an artificial vehicle for making mind aware of itself.

None of the schools of Buddhism say that smoking , drinking or any form of intoxication is bad. ( although some interpret it that way culturally)
It's thought of in the context of cause and effect.
"Is this more useful or less useful to my practice and for the benefit of others?"

That is the more important question.

If you are doing something like brain surgery, smoking a bowl might not be the best thing. However, it's perfectly fine for pruning roses.

I do specific buddhist practices that work on a level of energy. Getting stoned is less useful while doing these practices since it does alter your energy. However Marpa the translator who brought Buddhism to Tibet was known as a lover of beer and many women. He reached enlightenment and affected the lives of millions with a sense of humor and joy and great parties .

However, that kind of freedom of choice doesn't always work for people. I knew someone who was a recovering addict and they practiced with us. The consideration of is this more useful or less didn't work for them and they relapsed. Afterwards he joined an intellectual and dogmatic sect that had absolute rules, but it worked for him. ( They literally have rules, 32,000 of them) He is clean and sober now.
That kind of rigidity doesn't work for everyone, so you have to find what works for you on your path to become enlightened for the benefit of others.

Through practice your innate wisdom will arise for you to see clearly what works and what doesn't. Then you can decide for yourself whether smoking is beneficial to your goals or not.

Again, it's not good or bad like Christianity. It's more useful or less useful based on wisdom from experience.

Peace to all, hope you gardens are blooming.

Kmarpa

G

kmarpa said:
Sorry to jump in, but this is a subject I have pondered and reflected on.

There are different schools of buddhism with different methods for different people. The buddha once had a student who was simple minded , he couldn't remember even the simplest mantra. He was discounted by everyone because they thought he was so stupid. The Buddha found him crying because he thought he couldn't become enlightenedd and gave him a practice: rubbing a hankerchief. It's a long story, but he became enlightened and went on to be quite a character. Its actually very inspiring because it shows that anyone can become enlightened at any time and that the practice is an artificial vehicle for making mind aware of itself.

None of the schools of Buddhism say that smoking , drinking or any form of intoxication is bad. ( although some interpret it that way culturally)
It's thought of in the context of cause and effect.
"Is this more useful or less useful to my practice and for the benefit of others?"

That is the more important question.

If you are doing something like brain surgery, smoking a bowl might not be the best thing. However, it's perfectly fine for pruning roses.

I do specific buddhist practices that work on a level of energy. Getting stoned is less useful while doing these practices since it does alter your energy. However Marpa the translator who brought Buddhism to Tibet was known as a lover of beer and many women. He reached enlightenment and affected the lives of millions with a sense of humor and joy and great parties .

However, that kind of freedom of choice doesn't always work for people. I knew someone who was a recovering addict and they practiced with us. The consideration of is this more useful or less didn't work for them and they relapsed. Afterwards he joined an intellectual and dogmatic sect that had absolute rules, but it worked for him. ( They literally have rules, 32,000 of them) He is clean and sober now.
That kind of rigidity doesn't work for everyone, so you have to find what works for you on your path to become enlightened for the benefit of others.

Through practice your innate wisdom will arise for you to see clearly what works and what doesn't. Then you can decide for yourself whether smoking is beneficial to your goals or not.

Again, it's not good or bad like Christianity. It's more useful or less useful based on wisdom from experience.

Peace to all, hope you gardens are blooming.

Kmarpa

very interesting views, welcome! Kamrpa I have found my "niche" persay within SGI. Its incredibly amazing when you embrace a personal revolution in which the goals are determined from yourself! Free from any hinderances, we all certainly have a buddha nature within each and everyone of us, I truly believe your post has inspired others to engage their desire to better embrace life essentially.

I invite everyone to take the time and read this thread, its a manifestation of a sincere desire for Kosenrufu. it has inspired many and will continue to benefit those open enough to freedom from all your self imposed "shackles" and embrace your positive lifeforce on a grander scale!

I will chant for you and all our new visitors including socal. It all begins with us.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I will be the pillar of Japan. I will be the eyes of Japan, I will be the great ship of Japan"

* On the other hand, while the famous passage in The Opening of the Eyes, "I will be the pillar of Japan. I will be the eyes of Japan, I will be the great ship of Japan," (WND, page 280-281), can be taken as a declaration of his vow, it also indicates the ultimate realisation of that vow. The Daishonin's vow remained steadfast from the time he made it when he was 32, through his exile to Sado Island, until his life came to a close. It did not change in the least. A vow can only be called a vow when it is carried through to the very end. Genuine, living Buddhism is only found in unceasing struggle. To illustrate, let's take the example of shooting an arrow at a target. As soon as the string is released, the arrow flies straight towards the target. If, however, the arrow goes off course from the outset, or isn't shot with sufficient strength, it will lose its momentum and miss the target. In other words, no one can stop a person who stands up with profound determination. (The World of Nichiren Daishonin's Writings, Volume 1, page 47)

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 280) Selection source: Q & A on Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, April 23rd, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"(The element ku in the word kudoku means good fortune or happiness.) It also refers to the merit achieved by wiping out evil, while the element toku or doku refers to the virtue one acquires by bringing about good."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 762, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 148) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 24th, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Greater Self

The Greater Self

The Buddhist concept of the "greater self" (Jpn. taiga) provides a framework for the kind of shift in awareness that is necessary to restore the harmony of life on our planet.

The idea of the greater self is sometimes discussed in quite abstract, cosmological terms that risk detracting from its more practical value. The greater self could be described simply as a sense of self that can fully identify and empathize with the suffering of others and is thus motivated to alleviate that suffering; an open, expansive character broadened by an empathy that extends not only to other people but to all life, and thus to the natural environment. It is a self grounded in a deep respect for the dignity of all life--including one's own--and the wisdom that perceives the inextricable interdependence of that life.

This type of expansive life condition could be contrasted with the more limited "lesser self" (Jpn. shoga) defined by egotistical concerns and desires.

Buddhism embodies the sustained aspiration and effort to expand one's state of life to manifest the "greater self"--a process of inner-directed struggle that second Soka Gakkai President Josei Toda termed "human revolution."

The development of the greater self, it is important to note, does not merely describe a passive change in perception. It must be reflected in the choices and actions that weave the fabric of our daily lives. Specifically, the greater self expresses itself in a broadened sense of responsibility and a wish to contribute to the well-being of others and of the planet. This sense of responsibility and commitment drives the growth of our human capacities, extending our ability to be a positive influence on our environment.

A New Ideal

The environmental degradation and social alienation that plague contemporary civilization are symptoms of humankind's collective failure to transcend the lesser self. Consumerism that fans cycles of insatiable desire; discrimination that exaggerates the significance of differences between people, obscuring our shared humanity and at times justifying oppression and violence; a dulled insensitivity to the other life forms with whom we share the planet--all these are examples of the lesser self in action.

But the lesser self, its desires and impulses, cannot simply be denied or repressed. Rather, we need to learn to transform and redirect such desire. We need to change from a culture obsessed with material goods to one focused on cultural and human values; a change of focus, to quote the Earth Charter, from "having more" to "being more."

In the most general sense, any process of conscious change starts with embracing an ideal or establishing an intention to move in a positive and upward direction. To grow as human beings requires that we have ideals to strive for. The Buddha, in this sense, is a projection or embodiment of the most positive aspects and goodness inherent in the human heart. The "true Buddha," as Nichiren writes, is thus none other than the "common mortal." Buddhahood is not something far off but manifests in the actions of ordinary people who strive toward this ideal.

The key characteristic of a Buddha is intense concern and unrelenting effort for the happiness of others. Anchored in the realities of the era and society, a Buddha constantly seeks ways to alleviate the misery of others and increase their happiness, genuinely seeking their growth and independence through efforts that are free of any patronizing or controlling intent.

It is precisely in challenging our self-centeredness through committed altruistic action that we can expand and extend the lesser self toward the ideal of the greater self. Our being expands, as does our capacity for joy, to the degree that we take action for the happiness of others. Such an expansion brings forth wisdom from our lives, enabling us to be ever more effective in these compassionate efforts.

The concept of the greater self offers a hopeful vision, and the assurance that we can begin--at this very moment, right where we are and just as we are--to transform the world.

(from: http://www.sgi.org/english/Buddhism/more/more31.htm )

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's become strong both physically and spiritually
and make every effort to improve our intellect and wisdom
(for the sake of our own happiness and others')!
It is through challenging to develop ourselves
that we can achieve our human revolution.
Let's all confidently and courageously lead the type of lives
that can be regarded as absolutely successful and victorious!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thus the doctrines of the True Word, Zen, and Nembutsu schools spread and prospered in Japan. Eventually, Takahira, the Retired Emperor of Oki who was the eighty-second sovereign, began making efforts to (105) overthrow the acting administrator. Since he was the sovereign, the leader of the nation, people supposed that, even without assistance, it would be as easy as a lion pouncing on a hare, or a hawk seizing a pheasant. Moreover, for a period of several years appeals had been made at Mount Hiei, the temples of To-ji and Onjo-ji, and the seven major temples of Nara, as well as to the Sun Goddess, Great Bodhisattva Hachiman, and the deities of Sanno, Kamo, and Kasuga shrines (106), asking that the emperor's enemies be subdued, and that the gods lend their aid. Yet when war broke out, the imperial forces were not able to hold out for more than two or three days. In the end, the three retired emperors were exiled to the provinces of Sado, Awa, and Oki, respectively (107), where their lives came to a close.

Moreover, not only was the prelate (108) of Omuro, who was leading the prayers to subdue the enemies of the court, driven out of To-ji temple, but (109) his favorite, the page Setaka, who was as dear to him as his very eyes, was beheaded. Thus, as the Lotus Sutra says, the curses in the end "rebound (110) upon the originator."

But this is a trifling matter compared to what is to come. Hereafter, I have no doubt that the officials and the countless common people of Japan will without exception suffer a fate like that of heaps of dry grass to which a torch has been set, or like huge mountains crumbling and valleys being filled up, for our country will be attacked by enemies from abroad.

I, Nichiren, am the only one in the whole country of Japan who understands why these things will happen. But if I speak out, I will be treated as King Chou of the Yin dynasty treated Pi Kan, tearing open his chest; as King Chieh of the Hsia dynasty treated Kuan Lung-feng, cutting off his head; or as King Dammira treated the Venerable Aryasimha, beheading him. I will be banished like the priest Chu Tao-sheng, or branded on the face like the Tripitaka Master Fa-tao.

In the Lotus Sutra, however, it is written, "We care nothing for our bodies or lives but are anxious only for the (111) unsurpassed way." And the Nirvana Sutra warns, "[It is like a royal envoy who] would rather, even though it costs him his life, in the end conceal none of the words of his ruler."

If in this present existence I am so fearful for my life that I fail to speak out, then in what future existence will I ever attain Buddhahood? Or in what future existence will I ever be able to bring salvation to my parents and my teacher? With thoughts such as these uppermost in my mind, I decided that I must begin to speak out. And, just as I had expected, I was ousted, I was vilified, I was attacked, and I suffered wounds. Finally, on the twelfth day of the fifth month in the first year of the Kocho era (1261), the year with the cyclical sign kanoto-tori, having incurred the wrath of the authorities, I was banished to Ito in the province of Izu. Eventually, on the twenty-second day of the second month in the third year of Kocho, cyclical sign mizunoto-i, I was pardoned and allowed to return.

After that, I became more determined than ever to attain enlightenment and continued to speak out. Accordingly, the difficulties I encountered became increasingly severe, like great waves that rise up in a gale. I experienced with my own body the kind of attacks with sticks and staves that Bodhisattva Never Disparaging suffered in ancient times. It would seem that even the persecutions suffered by the monk Realization of Virtue in the latter age after the passing of the Buddha Joy Increasing could not compare to my trials. Nowhere in all the sixty-six provinces and the two offshore islands of Japan, not for a day, not for an hour, could I find a place to rest in safety.

Even sages who persevere in their practice as earnestly as did Rahula in ancient times, strictly observing all the two hundred and fifty precepts, or men who are as wise as Purna, speak evil of Nichiren when they encounter him. Even worthies who are as honest and upright as the court officials Wei Cheng (112) and Fujiwara no Yoshifusa (113), when they see Nichiren, forsake reason and treat him unjustly.

How much more so is this the case with the ordinary people of the day! They behave like dogs who have seen a monkey, or hunters in pursuit of a deer. Throughout the whole of Japan, there is not a single person who says, "Perhaps this man has some reason for his behavior."

But that is only to be expected. For whenever I come upon a person who recites the Nembutsu, I tell him that those who believe in the Nembutsu will fall into the hell of incessant suffering. Whenever I come upon a person who honors the True Word teachings, I tell him that True Word is an evil doctrine that will destroy the nation. And to the ruler of the nation, who honors the Zen school, I declare that Zen is the invention of the heavenly devil.

Since I willingly bring these troubles upon myself, when others vilify me, I do not rebuke them. Even if I wanted to rebuke them, there are too many of them. And even when they strike me, I feel no pain, for I have been prepared for their blows from the very beginning.

And so I went about with ever increasing vigor and ever less concern for my safety, trying to persuade others to change their ways. As a result, several hundred Zen priests, several thousand Nembutsu believers, and even more True Word teachers went to the magistrate or the men of powerful families, or to their wives or their widows who were lay nuns, and filled their ears with endless slanders concerning me.

Finally, all were convinced that I was the gravest offender in the entire nation, for it was said that in my capacity as a priest I was saying prayers and spells for the destruction of Japan, and that I had reported that the late lay priests of Saimyo-ji and Gokuraku-ji had fallen into the hell of incessant suffering. Those widows who were lay nuns insisted that investigation was unnecessary; rather, I should have my head cut off at once, and my disciples should likewise be beheaded or exiled to distant lands or placed in confinement. So infuriated were they that their demands for punishment were immediately carried out.

On the night of the twelfth day of the ninth month in the eighth year of Bun'ei (1271), cyclical sign kanoto-hitsuji, I was to have been beheaded at Tatsunokuchi in the province of Sagami. But for some reason the execution was postponed, and that night I was taken to a place called Echi. On the night of the thirteenth day, people made a great uproar, saying I had been pardoned. But, again for reasons that are unclear, I was ordered into exile in the province of Sado.

While people speculated from one day to the next if I would be beheaded (114), I passed four years on Sado. Then, on the fourteenth day of the second month in the eleventh year of Bun'ei, cyclical sign kinoe-inu, I was pardoned. On the twenty-sixth day of the third month of the same year, I returned to Kamakura, and on the eighth day of the fourth month I met with Hei no Saemon-no-jo. I reported on various matters and informed him that the Mongols would certainly invade Japan within that year. Then on the twelfth day of the fifth month, I left Kamakura and came to this mountain where I am now living.

All these things I have done solely to repay the debt I owe to my parents, the debt I owe to my teacher, the debt I owe to the three treasures of Buddhism, and the debt I owe to my country. For their sake I have been willing to destroy my body and to give up my life, though as it turns out, I have not been put to death after all.

If a worthy man makes three attempts to warn the rulers of the nation and they still refuse to heed his advice, then he should retire to a mountain forest. This has been the custom from ages past, and I have accordingly followed it.

I am quite certain that the merit I have acquired through my efforts is recognized by everyone from the three treasures on down to Brahma, Shakra, and the gods of the sun and moon. Through this merit I will surely lead to enlightenment my parents and my teacher, the late Dozen-bo.

But there are certain doubts that trouble me. The Venerable Maudgalyayana attempted to save his mother, Shodai-nyo, but he could not do so, and she remained in the realm of hungry spirits. The monk Sunakshatra was a son of the World-Honored One of Great Enlightenment, and yet he fell into the Avichi hell. Thus, although one may exert one's full effort to save others, it is very difficult to save them from the karmic retribution that they have brought upon themselves.

The late Dozen-bo treated me as one of his favorite disciples, so I cannot believe that he bore any hatred toward me. But he was a timid man, and he could never bring himself to give up his position at the temple where he lived, Seicho-ji. Moreover, he was fearful of what Kagenobu, the steward of the region, might do if he gave ear to my teachings. And at Seicho-ji he had to live in the midst of priests like Enchi and Jitsujo, who were as evil as Devadatta or Kokalika, and to put up with their intimidations, so that he became more fearful than ever. As a result, he turned a deaf ear to the longtime disciples he was fondest of. I wonder what will become of such a man in the next life.

There is one thing to be thankful for. Kagenobu, Enchi, and Jitsujo all died before Dozen-bo did, and that was something of a help. These men all met an untimely death because of the chastisement of the ten demon daughters who protect the Lotus Sutra. After they died, Dozen-bo began to have some faith in the Lotus Sutra. But it was rather like obtaining a stick after the fight is over, or lighting a lantern at midday - the proper time had already passed.

In addition, whatever happens, one ought to feel pity and concern for one's own children or disciples. Dozen-bo was not an entirely helpless man, and yet, though I was exiled all the way to the province of Sado, he never once tried to visit me. This is hardly the behavior of one who believes in the Lotus Sutra.

In spite of all that, I thought a great deal of him, and when I heard the news of his death, I felt as though, whether I had to walk through fire or wade through water, I must rush to his grave, pound on it, and recite a volume of the Lotus Sutra for his sake.

However, it often happens with worthies that, although they do not think of themselves as having retired from the world, other people assume that they have, and therefore, if they were to come rushing out of retreat for no good reason, people would suppose that they had failed to accomplish their purpose. For this reason, no matter how much I might wish to visit his grave, I feel that I cannot do so.

Now you two, Joken-bo and Gijo-bo, were my teachers in my youth. You are like the administrators of priests Gonso and Gyohyo, who though they were at one time the teachers of the Great Teacher Dengyo, later instead became his disciples. When Kagenobu was bent on harming me and I decided that I must leave Mount Kiyosumi [on which Seicho-ji is located], you helped me escape in secret. You have performed an unrivaled service for the Lotus Sutra. There can be no doubt about the reward that awaits you in your next rebirth.

Notes:

105. Hojo Yoshitoki (1163-1224), the second regent of the Kamakura government.
106. Sanno Shrine on Mount Hiei is dedicated to the deity Mountain King. The Kamo shrines are two independent but closely related shrines located on the Kamo River in Kyoto. According to tradition, they were built in 678. They enjoyed the patronage of the imperial court and the shogunate. Kasuga Shrine in Nara was founded in 709 by Fujiwara Fuhito and dedicated to the deities associated with the Fujiwara family. Thus it served as both a clan shrine and a national shrine.
107. Gotoba was exiled to the island of Oki, and Juntoku to the island of Sado. Tsuchimikado was exiled to Tosa Province in Shikoku and later was moved to the neighboring province of Awa (different from the Awa Province in eastern Japan where the Daishonin was born).
108. The prelate of Omuro refers here to Prince Dojo, a son of Emperor Gotoba, who entered the priesthood and lived at Ninna-ji temple of the True Word school in Kyoto.
109. Setaka (d. 1221) was a son of Sasaki Hirotsuna, the constable of Omi who ral-lied to the imperial cause during the Jokyu Disturbance. Setaka served Dojo at Ninna-ji temple but was killed after the disturbance.
110. Lotus Sutra, chap. 25.
111. Ibid., chap. 13.
112. Wei Cheng (580-643) was a minister who faithfully served Emperor T'ai-tsung of the T'ang dynasty and gave counsel to his government.
113. Fujiwara no Yoshifusa (804-872) was the minister of the left and grandfather of the fifty-sixth emperor Seiwa. Having become a court official at an early age, he laid the foundation for the prosperity of the Fujiwara family.
114. The Daishonin means here that his exile on Sado spanned the years 1271 to 1274.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
G

thanks PTD, we all need those posts.

Chanting to your gohonzon will help you overcome certain "plateaus" as you apply yourself to practice.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Power of Mind

Scientific studies have recently shown that groups of meditating people have actually slowed down crime rates in major cities in various parts of the world This article appeared in the Sunday Star Newspaper in Johannesburg - Gauteng Province South Africa.

"Now you can meditate your way to a safer Gauteng" (written by Kurt Swart) All we need to reduce Gauteng's crime rate is for 200 people to sit together quietly with their eyes closed, twice a day for 20 minutes. Absurd? Maybe not. This is what Transcendental Meditation (TM) advocates for successfully combating crime. The organisation has impressive scientific findings to back its seemingly outlandish claim - including a nod from eminent scientists in the field of quantum physics, no less. According to Maharishi Vedic Institute President Richard Peycke, a safer Gauteng is within easier reach if 200 people meditate daily in the same place. Said Peycke: 'TM is renowned for its ability to reduce stress and anxiety, increase intelligence quotients and creativity, and enhance memory and health. Yes it can do all those things but can also bring down the crime rate.' How? Through the Maharishi effect.

The theory is that human consciousness is like an electromagnetic field radiating human thought waves. Quantum physics describes nature as a unified field in which every tiny particle of matter exerts an influence on every other particle - even if they are light years apart. Thus, say scientists, it is not implausible that the human mind can generate similar field effects. The effect of a large group of transcendental meditators is a spread of coherence throughout the unified field, or collective consciousness, and the result is reduced stress and violence, and improved harmony in society -the Maharishi effect. According to TM theorists, the number of meditators needed to produce this effect is the square root of one percent of the population. For Gauteng's 8.5 million inhabitants, the number of meditators needed is 200; for the country 1000.

The Maharishi effect has impressed scientists because of it's repeatability in research surveys. Whenever group meditation is practised and its effects measured, statistically, with all variables taken into account, crime and violence have dropped significantly. Said Peycke: ' TM is a very ancient programme. It's been working for thousands of years and there has been more scientific research on this programme than on any other.' More than 500 studies at 200 universities by independent panels of scientists have been conducted on TM during the past thirty years and the results published in 100 academic journals. One of these, the Journal of Conflict Resolution, published results of a two-month study on a coherence group in Israel. While the group was meditating there was a 76% drop in the number of war deaths in Lebanon, a 68% drop in war injuries and a 66% increase in co-operation among the protagonists. The journal's editor, Yale political science professor Bruce Russett published the study 'although the theory seems impossible, the study met the stringent scientific standards needed for inclusion in the journal.'

From the British Psychological Society comes evidence that the crime rate in Merseyside dropped 60% in 1988 when meditators reached the required square root of one percent attendance. Merseyside had the third-highest crime rate in England and Wales in 1987. By 1992 it had the lowest. In a similar study in Washington DC, from the American Institute of Science, Technology and Public Policy, police figures showed a sharp decrease in violent crime when the meditating group reached the required attendance level. The institute described the findings as 'statistically significant'. Research surveys conducted in Zimbabwe, Nicaragua, Canada and several other countries show the same phenomenon. Said Peycke:' When the attendance of meditating groups reaches the square root of one percent, there is an immediate growth in positive aspects of society - fewer incidents of crime, smoother relationships, a lower disease rate, improved economic circumstances and more jobs created'."

The inclusion of this article does NOT constitute a recommendation for TM. It is reproduced to publish this empirical evidence of meditation's effects.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Transcendence said:
Power of Mind

The inclusion of this article does NOT constitute a recommendation for TM. It is reproduced to publish this empirical evidence of meditation's effects.

That said, Transcendance, welcome to the conversation!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"... it is not one's allies but one's powerful enemies who assist one's progress."

(The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 770) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's speech, Seikyo Shimbun, April 25th, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Question: Within the eight volumes and twenty-eight chapters that constitute the entirety of the Lotus Sutra, what part represents the true heart of the work?

Answer: The heart of the Flower Garland Sutra is the title Great and Vast Buddha Flower Garland Sutra. The heart of the Agama Sutra is the title Medium-Length Agama Sutra, as Spoken by the Buddha. The heart of the Great Collection Sutra is the title Great Correct and Equal Great Collection Sutra. The heart of the Wisdom Sutra is the title Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra. The heart of the Two-Volumed Sutra is the title Buddha Infinite Life Sutra, as Spoken by the Buddha. The heart of the Meditation Sutra is the title Meditation on the Buddha Infinite Life Sutra, as Spoken by the Buddha. The heart of the Amida Sutra is the title Amida Sutra, as Spoken by the Buddha. The heart of the Nirvana Sutra is the title Mahaparinirvana Sutra. It is the same with all the sutras. The daimoku, or title, of the sutra, which appears before the opening words "This is what I heard," is in all cases the true heart of the sutra. This is true whether it is a Mahayana sutra or a Hinayana sutra. As for the Mahavairochana Sutra, the Diamond Crown Sutra, the Susiddhikara Sutra, and so forth - in all cases the title constitutes the heart.

The same is true of the Buddhas. The Thus Come One Mahavairochana, Sun Moon Bright Buddha, Burning Torch Buddha, Great Universal Wisdom Excellence Buddha, Cloud Thunder Sound King Buddha - in the case of all these Buddhas, the name itself contains within it all the various virtues that pertain to that particular Buddha.

The same, then, applies to the Lotus Sutra. The five characters Myoho-renge-kyo that appear before the opening words "This is what I heard" comprise the true heart of the eight volumes of the work. Moreover, they are the heart of all the sutras, as well as the correct teaching that stands above all the Buddhas and bodhisattvas, the people of the two vehicles, and all the heavenly and human beings, asuras, and dragon deities.

Question: If one person should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo without understanding its meaning, and another person should chant the words Namu daihoko butsu kegonkyo (Devotion to the Great and Vast Buddha Flower Garland Sutra) without understanding their meaning, would the merit acquired by the two persons be equal, or would one acquire greater merit than the other?

Answer: One would acquire greater merit than the other.

Question: Why do you say so?

Answer: A small river can accommodate the water flowing into it from dew, brooks, wells, ditches, and little streams, but it cannot accommodate the water from a big river. A big river can accommodate the water from a small river with its dew, brooks, and so forth, but it cannot accommodate the water from the great ocean. Now the Agama sutras are like the small river with its wells, streams, brooks, and dew, while the sutras of the Correct and Equal period, the Amida Sutra, the Mahavairochana Sutra, and the Flower Garland Sutra are like the big river that accommodates the small river. But the Lotus Sutra is like the great ocean that can hold all the water from dew, brooks, wells, streams, small rivers, big rivers, and the rains from heaven, without losing a single drop.

Suppose that a person is burning with fever. If he sits down beside a large body of cold water and stays there for a while, his fever will abate, but if he lies down beside a little body of water, he will continue to suffer as before. In the same way, if an icchantika, or person of incorrigible disbelief, who has committed the five cardinal sins and has slandered the Law, should try to cool himself beside the little bodies of water that are the Agama, Flower Garland, Meditation, and Mahavairochana sutras, the raging fever caused by his great offenses would never be dispelled. But if he should lie down on the great snowy mountain that is the Lotus Sutra, then the raging fever caused by the five cardinal sins, his slander of the Law, and his incorrigible disbelief would be dispelled instantly.

Therefore, ignorant people should by all means have faith in the Lotus Sutra. For although one may think that all the titles of the sutras are the same in effect and that it is as easy to chant one as another, in fact the merit acquired even by an ignorant person who chants the title of the Lotus Sutra is as far superior to that acquired by a wise person who chants some other title as heaven is to earth!

To illustrate, even a person with great strength cannot break a strong rope with his bare hands. But if one has a little knife, then even a person of meager strength can sever the rope with ease. Even a person with great strength cannot cut through a piece of hard stone with a dull sword. But if one has a sharp sword, then even a person of meager strength can cut the stone in two.

Or, to give another example, even though one may not know what is in the medicine, if one takes a dose of it, one's illness can be cured. But if one takes only ordinary food, one's illness will never be cured. Or, to give yet another example, an elixir can actually increase one's life span, whereas ordinary medicine, though it can cure illness, can never prolong one's life.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts