What's new

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy New Year everyone!

Weird, I bow in deep and sincere respect! Hey Bud! Hey Forest! Hey Chris!

This is a New Year. I continue to be in ongoing touch and support for our dear friend G. He sends his love and best to all. Still hanging in there. Still fighting hard. Never giving up.

Let's make a difference in 2015 for our ourselves and for everyone that we can touch with our lives. Everyone here is Wonderful! I am teaching others and ever expanding my faith and understanding. I am the Buddha and so are YOU ALL!

If you meet the Buddha on the road, praise him and protect him and respect him. And never forget that this is actually everyone and everything you encounter in each moment of your life. Never think that I have forgotten any of you or the debt of gratitude I will owe you all for the rest of my life!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The truths revealed in the New Years Gosho apply to every day of the year. There is nothing seasonal about the message contained, nor is it limited to a specific day of the year…..

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By the way the old thread can be found on page 34 of the growers forums and has now increased in number of views to 513,388!

Our efforts continue to spread the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Thanks to all of you! Please continue!

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We practise the Mystic Law, chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo ourselves and teaching others to do the same. As such, our lives are one with the life of Nichiren Daishonin.

"Chanting resonant daimoku enables us to overcome illness and lead long, healthy lives. It allows us to transform any karma into our mission and establish a state of boundless happiness that will endure forever.

“Let us show actual proof in the form of absolute victory, activating the protective forces of the universe and vanquishing even the most powerful enemies that seek to obstruct our practice.”

SGI Newsletter No. 9142, The Fearless Lion’s Roar of Daimoku, from the January edition of the Daibyaku Renge editorial, translation released 16th Dec., 2014

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“This passage refers to the great joy that one experiences when one understands for the first time that one’s mind from the very beginning has been a Buddha. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the greatest of all joys."

(The Essential Passage in Each of the Twenty-eight Chapters of the Lotus Sutra, Prophecy of Enlightenment for Five Hundred Disciples - The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 211)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Josei Toda, said: 'The prayers of those who join Nichiren Daishonin in making a vow and struggling for the widespread propagation of the Mystic Law are certain to be fulfilled. Chant with the unshakable conviction that you can boldly overcome the three obstacles and four devils.’ He also said: 'The prayers of one person with powerful faith in the Mystic Law will inspire everyone to follow their lead. In the end, all will become happy.’

"That’s why we must always put daimoku first, whatever the situation. A person who chants strong and consistent daimoku will never be deadlocked.”

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"From this single element of mind spring all the various lands and environmental conditions."

(The Unanimous Declaration by the Buddhas of the Three Existences regarding the Classification of the Teachings and Which Are to Be Abandoned and Which Upheld - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 843)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Easy! Hey Bud! I am going to post the above Gosho with comments, a little at a time, as my time permits. I really want to ask Weird to keep doing what he's been doing. My posting here shouldn't change anything. Weird, I say this again with complete sincerity: YOU HAVE MY DEEPEST RESPECT! ALL OF YOU DO! Hi Sister T and Forest!

Please keep chanting for G!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"You must not spend your lives in vain and regret it for ten thousand years to come."

(The Problem to Be Pondered Night and Day - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. I, page 622)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
From the Oral teachings of Nichiren

Prophecies Conferred on Learners and Adepts

Two important points

Point One, on the terms “learners” and “adepts” in the “Prophecies Conferred on Learners and Adepts” chapter

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: “Learners” means those who do not possess wisdom. “Adepts” means those who possess wisdom. Now, when Nichiren and his followers chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, they are bestowing on both learners and adepts a prophecy that, as Shakyamuni Buddha said, “all persons [will be] / equal to me, without any distinction between us” (chapter two, Expedient Means), are they not?

Some belong to the “adept” category in terms of body but to the “learner” category in terms of mind, while others belong to the “adept” category in terms of mind but to the “learner” category in terms of body.

These “learners and adepts” are all the living beings in the country of Japan. On all of them, wise and foolish alike, we bestow the prophecy of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, “preaching to them forcefully, though it angers them” [as volume ten of Words and Phrases says].

Point Two, on the passage “At that time the Buddha said to Ānanda: ‘In a future existence you will become a Buddha with the name Mountain Sea Wisdom Unrestricted Power King Thus Come One.’”

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: “Mountain” stands for the principle that earthly desires are enlightenment. “Sea” stands for the principle that the sufferings of birth and death are nirvana. “Wisdom” is what is expressed in the words we speak. “Unrestricted” means without hindrance or obstruction. “Power King” [or “Penetrating King”] refers to the mutual possession of the Ten Worlds, to the hundred worlds and thousand factors, to the three thousand realms in a single moment of life.

Again, we may say that “Mountain” represents the meaning of the theoretical teaching, and “Sea” represents the meaning of the essential teaching. “Wisdom” represents the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, the Wonderful Law. Now Nichiren and his followers, who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, are the Buddha Mountain Sea Wisdom Unrestricted Power King. He is none other than we [Nichiren and his followers]. Outside of us, the votaries of the Lotus Sutra, there is no other Ānanda. The name Ānanda means “joy,” the joy of awakening to the realization of the principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life.

Notes

1. The “Power” in the name Mountain Sea Wisdom Unrestricted Power King Thus Come One is also translated as “Penetrating.”

for more on this passage please continue ----> http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/ott/PART-1/9

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“Whether or not your prayer is answered will depend on your faith; [if it is not] I will in no way be to blame.”

(Reply to the Lay Nun Nichigon -The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.I, page 1079)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Since you now appear certain to attain Buddhahood, perhaps the heavenly devil and evil spirits are using illness to try to intimidate you. Life in this world is limited. Never be even the least bit afraid!”

(The Proof of the Lotus Sutra-The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol.1, p. 1109.)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“There is surely no nobler honour in life than winning the deep appreciation of others and having them tell you that your sincere prayers and warm encouragement helped them become happy beyond imagination.”

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
...if they do not understand the time or the people’s capacity and perceive which of the two methods,shōju or shakubuku, is appropriate, then they can never free themselves from the sufferings of birth and death.

Question: When you berate the followers of the Nembutsu and Zen schools and arouse their enmity, what merit does that bring?

Answer: The Nirvana Sutra says: “If even a good monk sees someone destroying the teaching and disregards him, failing to reproach him, to oust him, or to punish him for his offense, then you should realize that that monk is betraying the Buddha’s teaching. But if he ousts the destroyer of the Law, reproaches him, or punishes him, then he is my disciple and a true voice-hearer.”

Chang-an comments on this as follows: “One who destroys or brings confusion to the Buddha’s teachings is betraying them. If one befriends another person but lacks the mercy to correct him, one is in fact his enemy. But one who reprimands and corrects an offender is a voice-hearer who defends the Buddha’s teachings, a true disciple of the Buddha. One who rids the offender of evil is acting as his parent. Those who reproach offenders are disciples of the Buddha. But those who do not oust offenders are betraying the Buddha’s teachings.”

The Opening of the Eyes / pg. 286