What's new

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Monday, September 1, 2014:

In kindling a fire, three things are needed: a good piece of steel, a good flint, and good tinder. The same is true of prayer. Three things are required—a good teacher, a good believer, and a good teaching—before prayers can be effective and disasters banished from the land.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 880
How Those Initially Aspiring to the Way Can Attain Buddhahood through the Lotus Sutra
Written to the lay nun Myoho in 1277

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Tuesday, September 2, 2014:

I hear that these priests have been slandering me for some years now. These mosquitos and gadflies, as it were, are such fools that they groundlessly revile Nichiren, who is like the lion king, when they have neither listened to nor seen him.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 856
The Third Doctrine
Written to Toki Jonin on October 1, 1277

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Wednesday, September 3, 2014:

Suppose there is a ship that sails on the open sea. Though the ship is stoutly built, if it is flooded by a leak, those on the ship are sure to drown together. Though the embankment between rice fields is firm, if there is an ant hole in it, then surely, in the long run, it will not remain full of water. Bail the seawater of slander and disbelief out of the ship of your life, and solidify the embankments of your faith.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 626
The Embankments of Faith
Written to the lay nun Sennichi on September 3, 1275

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Thursday, September 4, 2014:

Question: Why do you alone spew forth such evil words about other people? Answer: I, Nichiren, am not condemning others. I am only pointing out the questionable places in their doctrines. If they want to get angry at me, then let them!

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 867
Letter to Shomitsu-bo
Written to Shomitsu-bo in 1277

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

All's well, Weird has kept the room open!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

A big shout to Thomas, Gypsy and the rest :)

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Friday, September 5, 2014:

These passages from the sutras speak of powerful enemies of the correct teaching. Such enemies are to be found not so much among evil rulers and evil ministers, among non-Buddhists and devil kings, or among monks who disobey the precepts. Rather they are those great slanderers of the Law who are to be found among the eminent monks who appear to be upholders of the precepts and men of wisdom.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 584
The Selection of the Time
Written to Yui in 1275

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
rom the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Saturday, September 6, 2014:

Even if my counsel is heeded, if I am not given due respect as the votary of the Lotus Sutra, then the country will perish. How ominous that the authorities have turned hundreds of persons against me and have even banished me twice! This country is surely doomed, but since I have asked the gods to withhold their punishment on our land, it has survived until now. However, that punishment has finally descended because these unreasonable actions continued.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 773
The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra
Written to the lay nun Konichi in 1276

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Sunday, September 7, 2014:

The blessings from making offerings to a votary of the Lotus Sutra in the latter age exceed even those from making offerings to a Thus Come One endowed with the ten honorable titles, while those who persecute a votary of the Lotus Sutra in the defiled age will have their heads split into seven pieces.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 595
Letter to the Lay Nun of Ko
Written to the lay nun of Ko on June 16, 1275

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Monday, September 8, 2014:

Priests possessed by the heavenly devil, such as Ryokan and the others, deceived your father, Saemon no Tayu, and tried to destroy you and your brother, but you, having a wise heart, heeded Nichiren's admonition. Therefore, just as two wheels support a cart, or two legs carry a person, just as two wings enable a bird to fly, or just as the sun and moon aid all living beings, the efforts of you brothers have led your father to take faith in the Lotus Sutra.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 845
A Father Takes Faith

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Tuesday, September 9, 2014:

As I have been saying for some time, in your situation as a lay believer, you should just single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo morning and evening, day and night, and observe what happens at the last moments of your life. At that time, hasten to the summit of perfect enlightenment, and look around you in all directions. The entire realm of phenomena will have changed into the Land of Tranquil Light. . . . Buddhas and bodhisattvas all being caressed by breezes of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity. We, too, will surely be among their numbers.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 843
Reply to Matsuno
Written to Matsuno Rokuro Saemon on September 9, 1277

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Wednesday, September 10, 2014:

More valuable than treasures in a storehouse are the treasures of the body, and the treasures of the heart are the most valuable of all. From the time you read this letter on, strive to accumulate the treasures of the heart!

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 851
The Three Kinds of Treasure
Written to Shijo Kingo on September 11, 1277

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Thursday, September 11, 2014:

Because this mountain is where this wondrous votary of the Lotus Sutra dwells, how can it be any less sacred than the pure land of Eagle Peak? This is what [The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra means when] it says, "Since the Law is wonderful, the person is worthy of respect; since the person is worthy of respect, the land is sacred."

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1097
The Person and the Law
Written to Nanjo Tokimitsu on September 11, 128

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Friday, September 12, 2014:

A brilliant orb as bright as the moon burst forth from the direction of Enoshima, shooting across the sky from southeast to northwest. It was shortly before dawn and still too dark to see anyone's face, but the radiant object clearly illuminated everyone like bright moonlight. The executioner fell on his face, his eyes blinded. The soldiers were filled with panic. Some ran off into the distance, some jumped down from their horses and huddled on the ground, while others crouched in their saddles. I called out, "Here, why do you shrink from this vile prisoner? Come closer! Come closer!" But no one would approach me.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 767
The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra
Written to the lay nun Konichi in 1276

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Saturday, September 13, 2014:

Now Nichiren's lifelong prayer and desire will be achieved in an instant. And this fits the Buddha's prediction regarding the fifth five hundred years, just as one half of a tally matches the other.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 901
Reply to the Followers
Written to followers in Kamakura on March 21, 1278

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Sunday, September 14, 2014:

The government's persecution of me has clearly demonstrated my faith in the Lotus Sutra. There is no doubt that the moon wanes and waxes and that the tide ebbs and flows. In my case, too, since punishment has already occurred, benefit must be forthcoming. What is there to lament?

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 194
Letter from Echi
Written to Toki Jonin on September 14, 1271

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Monday, September 15, 2014:

The deeper the roots, the more luxuriant the branches. The farther the source, the longer the stream. All sutras other than the Lotus Sutra have shallow roots and short streams, while the Lotus Sutra has deep roots and a distant source. That is why the Great Teacher T'ien-t'ai stated that the Lotus Sutra would survive and spread even in the evil latter age.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 940
The Farther the Source, the Longer the Stream
Written to Shijo Kingo on September 15, 1278

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Tuesday, September 16, 2014:

Therefore, those who become Nichiren's disciples and lay believers should realize the profound karmic relationship they share with him and spread the Lotus Sutra as he does. Being known as a votary of the Lotus Sutra is a bitter, yet unavoidable destiny.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 994
Letter to Jakunichi-bo
Written to Jakunichi-bo Nikke on September 16, 1279

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Wednesday, September 17, 2014:

Even a word or a phrase of the correct teaching will enable one to gain the way, if it suits the time and the capacity of the people. But though one studies a thousand sutras and ten thousand treatises, one will not attain Buddhahood if these teachings are unsuitable for the time and the people's capacity.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 302
Letter from Sado
Written to Toki Jonin on March 20, 1272

Latest posts

Latest posts