What's new

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Sunday, July 27, 2014:
Since childhood, I, Nichiren, have never prayed for the secular things of this life but have single-mindedly sought to become a Buddha. Of late, however, I have been ceaselessly praying for your sake to the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha and the god of the sun, for I am convinced that you are a person who can inherit the soul of the Lotus Sutra.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 839
The Hero of the World
Written to Shijo Kingo in 1277

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

Monday, July 28, 2014:
Since I have realized that only the Lotus Sutra teaches the attainment of Buddhahood by women, and that only the Lotus is the sutra of true requital for repaying the kindness of our mother, in order to repay my debt to my mother, I have vowed to enable all women to chant the daimoku of this sutra.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 931
The Sutra of True Requital
Written to the lay nun Sennichi on July 28, 1278

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Tuesday, July 29, 2014:
Believe in the Gohonzon with all your heart, for it is the robe to protect you in the world after death. No wife would ever leave her husband unclothed, nor could any parents fail to feel compassion for their child shivering in the cold. Shakyamuni Buddha and the Lotus Sutra are like one's wife and parents. You have helped me and thereby saved me from disgrace in this life; in return, I will protect you from disgrace in the next. What one has done for another yesterday, will be done for oneself today.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 994
Letter to Jakunichi-bo
Written to Jakunichi-bo Niike on September 16, 1279

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Thursday, July 31, 2014:

Even a wise man cannot become a Buddha through the other sutras, but with the Lotus Sutra, even fools can plant the seeds that lead to Buddhahood. As the sutra passage I have quoted earlier puts it, "Although they do not seek emancipation, emancipation will come of itself."

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 283
The Opening of the Eyes
Written to Shijo Kingo in February 1272

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Friday, August 1, 2014:

If Nichiren's compassion is truly great and encompassing, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo will spread for ten thousand years and more, for all eternity, for it has the beneficial power to open the blind eyes of every living being in the country of Japan, and it blocks off the road that leads to the hell of incessant suffering.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 736
On Repaying Debts of Gratitude
Written to Joken-bo and Gijo-bo on July 21, 1276

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Saturday, August 2, 2014:

The heart of the Lotus Sutra is the revelation that one may attain the supreme enlightenment in one's present form without altering one's status as an ordinary person. This means that, without casting aside one's karmic impediments, one can still attain the Buddha way. Thus T'ien-t'ai says, "The other sutras only predict Buddhahood . . . for the good, but not for the evil;. . . This [Lotus] sutra predicts Buddhahood for all."

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 410
Reply to Hakiri Saburo
Written to Hakiri Rokuro Saburo on August 3, 1273

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Sunday, August 3, 2014:

Judging from these examples, we may conclude that for evil people living in the latter age the attainment of Buddhahood does not depend upon whether their offenses are slight or grave, but solely upon whether or not they have faith in this sutra.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 409

Reply to Hakiri Saburo
Written to Hakiri Rokuro Saburo on August 3, 1273

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Monday, August 4, 2014:

I spoke out solely because I had long known that the people of Japan would meet with great suffering, and I felt pity for them. Thoughtful persons should therefore realize that I have met these trials for their sake. If they were people who understood their obligations or who were capable of reason, then out of two blows that fall upon me, they would receive one in my stead.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 828
Reply to Yasaburo
Written to Saito Yasaburo on August 4, 1277

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Tuesday, August 5, 2014:

The great lantern that illuminates the long night of the sufferings of birth and death, the sharp sword that severs the fundamental darkness inherent in life, is none other than the Lotus Sutra.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1038
A Comparison of the Lotus and Other Sutras
Written to Toki Jonin on May 26, 1280

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Wednesday, August 6, 2014:

Though numerous, the Japanese will find it difficult to accomplish anything, because they are divided in spirit. In contrast, although Nichiren and his followers are few, because they are different in body, but united in mind, they will definitely accomplish their great mission of widely propagating the Lotus Sutra.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 618
Many in Body, One in Mind
Written to the lay priest Takahashi on August 6, year unknown

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Thursday, August 7, 2014:

When praised highly by others, one feels that there is no hardship one cannot bear. Such is the courage that springs from words of praise.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 385
The True Aspect of All Phenomena
Written to Sairen-bo Nichijo on May 17, 1273

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Friday, August 8, 2014:

The sutras expounded prior to the Lotus Sutra cannot lead to Buddhahood because they are provisional and expedient teachings that separate reality and wisdom. The Lotus Sutra, however, unites the two as a single entity. The sutra says that the Buddhas open the door of Buddha wisdom to all living beings, show it, cause them to awaken to it, and induce them to enter its path. By realizing this Buddha wisdom, one attains Buddhahood.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 746
The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood
Written to Soya Jiro Hyoe-no-jo Kyoshin on August 3, 1276

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Saturday, August 9, 2014:

The Buddha promised in the Lotus Sutra that, for women, the sutra will serve as a lantern in the darkness, as a ship when they cross the sea, and as a protector when they travel through dangerous places.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 614
The Supremacy of the Law
Written to Oto and her mother, Nichimyo, on August 4, 1275

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Sunday, August 10, 2014:

Concerning prayer, there are conspicuous prayer and conspicuous response, conspicuous prayer and inconspicuous response, inconspicuous prayer and inconspicuous response, and inconspicuous prayer and conspicuous response. But the only essential point is that, if you believe in this sutra, all your desires will be fulfilled in both the present and the future.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 750
Letter to the Lay Priest Domyo
Written to the lay priest Domyo on August 10, 1276

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Monday, August 11, 2014:

Even an individual at cross purposes with himself is certain to end in failure. Yet a hundred or even a thousand people can definitely attain their goal, if they are of one mind.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 618
Many in Body, One in Mind
Written to the lay priest Takahashi on August 6, year unknown

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Tuesday, August 12, 2014:

What caused you to inwardly believe in the Lotus Sutra and to make offerings to me during my more than thirty-day stay there? I was hated and resented by the steward and the people of the district even more than I was in Kamakura. Those who saw me scowled, while those who merely heard my name were filled with spite. And yet, though I was there in the fifth month when rice was scarce, you secretly fed me. Have my parents been reborn in a place called Kawana, in Ito of Izu Province?

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 35
The Izu Exile
Written to Funamori Yasaburo on June 27, 1261

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Wednesday, August 13, 2014:

Could "enjoy themselves at ease" mean anything but that both our bodies and minds, lives and environments, are entities of three thousand realms in a single moment of life and Buddhas of limitless joy? There is no true happiness other than upholding faith in the Lotus Sutra. This is what is meant by "peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences."

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 681
Happiness in This World
Written to Shijo Kingo on June 27, 1276

Latest posts

Latest posts