What's new

CFL Club!

sneakinman13

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

hey all. figured i would drop some cfl love in this post!!
if you would like to see more drop by my sneaky sneaky thread in my sig.
later everyone!
p.s you guys are killing it with these cfl's!

superpedro

Veteran
Aren't we after units of matter called photons and if you add a new source do you not add more photons?

You guys are confusing me.
Funny thing, relationship between Lumen and plants.
Ok there is a difference from brand to brand, to how clean the gasses in the tubes are, and how exact the ratio of gasses is compared to the promised spectral spread.
But if we just talk physics of light, and how the lumen measurement works. If you had to chose between two tubes, emitting the same amount of light energy in the visual spectrum (400 - 715nm), the one with the lowest lumen score, would have to have the highest PAR score, and be the best light source for plants. :D

maryjohn

Veteran
So I just wasted my money paying extra for the better bulbs that run cooler and have a wider operating temp range with a higher lumens rating for the same watts?

superpedro

Veteran
Could be. If the first number in the three didgit colour code is 9, they score high on the lumen scale, and don't have as many narrow spikes in the spectrum.
Narrow spikes in the blue and red area is what we really are looking for, otherwise we waste energy making our plangts pretty.
Cheap bulbs with lowest ra-index (the first number in the code) possible, is often cheaper and better.

TokeSolo

CFL's are great, i currently have 5 x 23w CFL 2700k and 1380 lumens each = 115w of CFL with 6900 lumens. No crop yet tho.

The thing that i don't understand is how lots of people in this thread let their plants get to half an inch of their cfls. When i was using three 42 watters the plants would get burned when they got this close. Does this mean my ventilation was not strong enough?

The thing that i don't understand is how lots of people in this thread let their plants get to half an inch of their cfls. When i was using three 42 watters the plants would get burned when they got this close. Does this mean my ventilation was not strong enough?

YES, mine get within a couple centimeters without burning, but i have a box fan set on 2 in early stages, and as they get bigger and buds set, its set on 3, blowing directly across the lights and the tops of the girls. this keeps the bulbs cooler and they wont burn unless touching for extended period of time. like when the fan accidentally gets unplugged and i don't catch it. this fan is of course separate from the exhaust set up.

maryjohn

Veteran
Could be. If the first number in the three didgit colour code is 9, they score high on the lumen scale, and don't have as many narrow spikes in the spectrum.
Narrow spikes in the blue and red area is what we really are looking for, otherwise we waste energy making our plangts pretty.
Cheap bulbs with lowest ra-index (the first number in the code) possible, is often cheaper and better.

Thanks for the info I will check.

oldbootz

Veteran
im always running different strains in my little area. i found that some sat doms are sensitive to light and heat. these plants will show heat stress on leaves really quickly but the indica doms usually have to touch before the heat damage occurs. maybe leaf thickness counts? of course ventilation can fix these little cfl heat probs, i have a little 35w oscillating fan that lets me have my sativas about 3/4 of an inch away from an 85w daylight bulb and is fine long term this way.

komrade komura

During veg I keep them at least 5cms from the bulb.

Don't have a problem with burning during flowering. But I live in England, keep the heat off in my the room, so all heat comes from the lights inside the cab.

Cab warm, room cold.

Won't let them touch the bulbs, but anything short of that seems fine. And the buds seem to like snuggling right up close. The hairs may turn colour but the trichomes have not.

But hey, I might be fucking them up...my test bud sure hits hard though. OG Kush w/2 weeks until harvest.

Also have a fan timed with the lights that blows against a vacant corner of the cab, like a errant child being punished.

I've burned more leaves with nutes this run that with the lights.

komrade komura

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
heres rm's lp1 under 337 actual watts of cfl. 1 85 W 6500K flourex, and 6 42W 2700 K cfl's.

Can you offer any comment on the performance of the 85 watt versus the 42 watt cfl's? The 42 watters are what, $7.95 or something? And those 85 watt ones are more like $35.

Is is worth the xtra bux? How do you use them together? Illuminate us ;)

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
I have 186 watts of cfl in my pc case..
Had it running for 4 hours now and the temps were 82..
I have adjustable intake and exhaust so I can turn them up to lower the temps
There is a pic also of the temps coming out of the scrubber.I put a therm on just to see because the heat coming from the exhaust was crazy
Here are some pics

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
I guess the pics would help!
The fans both have speed controllers so I can adjust speed accordingly
Still not bad temps for 186 watts of cfl with 1.35 cubic feet to grow in..
Next step is getting these Skunk/Kush seeds in some soil!!

Any feed back would be welcome

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Fill that sucka up with plants and start cranking out the buds bro. Very clean and sweet setup, what you gonna do, screen or some heavy LST?
Happy Gardening All.
Peace.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Thanks bOOm.. It took forever to finish cause I went crazy with 7 fans and 7 lights...UGH.. so I downsized alot..
Here is a pic of a metal rack which I could use as scrog screen...LST seems more the way I want to go..
Another pic of the top inside of the case..No light leaks at all and the reflector is very shiny for happy plants
Love to hear any comments good or bad
Thanks everyone

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
I guess the pics would help!
The fans both have speed controllers so I can adjust speed accordingly
Still not bad temps for 186 watts of cfl with 1.35 cubic feet to grow in..
Next step is getting these Skunk/Kush seeds in some soil!!

Any feed back would be welcome
That is a really cool grow case you've made there. Best of luck with your little ones.:smoker:

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey thanks Ghostwolf
Its ready to go now.I have a seed germinating so any day!
I don't know how to paste my thread so if anyone wants to join the journey of this little lady,come on over.
Its called Rebirth of a pc grow case
thanks and hope you all pop by

Latest posts

Latest posts