What's new

CFL Club!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Do yourself a favor and do a comparison.

Get the 7$ bulb and get the $14 bulb and use them side by side. In nearly every case you're going to prefer the $14 bulb. Just about the only exception would be where someone lost out on money such as an inventory sale at discount below wholesale.

There are 42w discount CFLs out there that only put out about 20 watts worth of light. They also have shorter life spans and tend to run hotter. In essence, you're really not getting a bargain unless it's for a bathroom light or something. Use the money you save buying the cheapos to spend on your grow lights. Buy quality and you'll be happy. :D

Remember, don't believe what I type, go find out for yourself. :D

chris1985

oh an dont forget, if you have any suggestions on were to get the cheapest CFLs or light fixtures. the cheapest place i have found in my 4 years of growing is 1000bulbs.com, an for fixtures is deffinatly walmart.

Thanks for that link as i was looking for a place to buy my CFLs so i will have a look at this site now and possibly order off it if the prices are ok, do they ship to the uk do you know????

Do yourself a favor and do a comparison.

Get the 7$ bulb and get the $14 bulb and use them side by side. In nearly every case you're going to prefer the $14 bulb. Just about the only exception would be where someone lost out on money such as an inventory sale at discount below wholesale.

There are 42w discount CFLs out there that only put out about 20 watts worth of light. They also have shorter life spans and tend to run hotter. In essence, you're really not getting a bargain unless it's for a bathroom light or something. Use the money you save buying the cheapos to spend on your grow lights. Buy quality and you'll be happy. :D

Remember, don't believe what I type, go find out for yourself. :D

I know what you are saying...but the bulbs were exact same just discounted at home depot for some reason...and everything at OSH is marked up...it true though dont buy just because its cheap...look into the bulbs first

dudes,
yesterday at my local wal-mart--
i purchased a---
42 watt cfl--
made by G E--
they only had 2700 kelvin in 42 watt--
lumens rated at 2700 ----
for $8.65 + tax american---

in about 2 weeks she will be switched with the 6500 kelvin now doing
the veg thing:yoinks:

Finally making my way into the club!

Mother Cabinet - 2 13 watt CFL - 6500k
Clone Box - 2 13 watt CFL - 6500k
Flower Box - 6 42 watt CFL - 3 2700, 3 6500k

I'll post my grow diary here later when I finally get over to the dark side and take pics.

Finally making my way into the club!

Mother Cabinet - 2 13 watt CFL - 6500k
Clone Box - 2 13 watt CFL - 6500k
Flower Box - 6 42 watt CFL - 3 2700, 3 6500k

I'll post my grow diary here later when I finally get over to the dark side and take pics.

hey that is the maxx in your avatar...havent seen that for YEARS

hey that is the maxx in your avatar...havent seen that for YEARS

hah thanks! I still watch it off my computer once or twice a month.

Remember good ol MTV tv after dark? Such awesome shows.. like the one where the dude had a giant alien in his head so he himself had a monstrously large head but no one noticed it.

hah thanks! I still watch it off my computer once or twice a month.

Remember good ol MTV tv after dark? Such awesome shows.. like the one where the dude had a giant alien in his head so he himself had a monstrously large head but no one noticed it.

yeah that one was called THE HEAD and his purple alien friend was named ROY haha funny good shows....where did it go wrong? how did you find the episodes for those shows? torrent?

dudes and dudettes,
has anyone used one of the titanium dioxide coated cfl's??--

they are supposed to remove oders...

i want to use 1 in my flowering cabinet--ontimer with the other lights...
it would be on 12 hrs a day....

any knowledge or suggestions????:woohoo:

so i was at the dePOT today and i was just looking around doing some research for my box redesign, i am going to use ~300w worth of CFLs... i planed on using 8 s6w spirals and 2 55w 2G11 base tubes... so i was looking at the lighting section and there were these Philips 55w 950 PL-L tubes (info: http://www.1000bulbs.com/images/PDF/philips-138446-specs.pdf ) and there was no price on the wall... so i asked and they scanned them and they were not in the system... so long story short they let me have them for $1 each (1000bulbs has them listed for $17 :)... now i was not planning to buy that day but with that deal how could i not! it didnt have a spectrum or color temp on the box but i got 4 of em anyway... when i found the info online i was dissappointed to see that they were full spectrum 5000k with a big green peak in their spectrum... so my question is do yall think i should even use these? will they still be efficient even with the big green peak (they also have a decent blue peak @ 440 and orange @ 610) what do yall think, i was planning on having them on for late veg supplemented with some daylight spirals, and all through flower with some soft white spirals

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
so long story short they let me have them for $1 each (1000bulbs has them listed for $17 :)... now i was not planning to buy that day but with that deal how could i not! it didnt have a spectrum or color temp on the box but i got 4 of em anyway... when i found the info online i was dissappointed to see that they were full spectrum 5000k with a big green peak in their spectrum...
I think you'll find they're excellent vegging lights and for flowering in tight spaces. :D What a score! I'm using 2 5400K lamps in my veg cab and love em. :D Nice short and healthy plants :D

Depending on your setup, you still might want to get 2-4 3000K lamps from 1000bulbs.com and switch them in when you flower. :D

fire hazzard???

fire hazzard???

dudes and dudettes,

how close can you put the side of a 26 watt cfl against particle board or wood?

same question--only a 42 watt instead of smaller wattage cfl:yoinks:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
This thing is awesome, it has two 22.5 inch 50W PLL lights and an electronic ballast with 99% efficiency and 8000 Initial Lumens. The entire fixture is enclosed in a beautiful oak box and has a nice brass handle for carrying. It is an Apollo LIght Systems model 'Bright Lite III'.
Sweet! :yoinks:
It even has the push-button release sockets I'm dying for! LOL

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
Well while doing the rounds of the local thrift stores I stumbled upon a light fixture that caught my attention. I think it is a tracing table or possibly an Xray viewing light. In any case, let me tell you it was a SCORE!

Very nice find

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Wow what a score on that awesome light fixture!! Can't wait to see that thing put to good use.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Anyone using PL-C lights? I picked up a pre-loved 13w and it has a seperate ballast which it fits into and the ballast has the regular light bulb screw fitting. It was very bright without even warming up, but the contact is buggered or something so it doesn't come on all the time. Looks like a normal CFL except brighter.