What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

C

coxswain

Who has the best price on the 400w Phillips CMH(horizontal)-is $53+$10 shipping from AdvancedLighting the best deal out there?Thanks in advance!

Ordered couple of weeks ago. Have no idea on the status of my order. Nobody would anwser my email. :chin:

Side by Side Comparison Blurb ...

Side by Side Comparison Blurb ...

A small, 2 column-inch, filler blurb in the Vol. 5 / Number 5 issue of "Skunk" magazine was not complementary to CMH bulbs.

In an article about problem gardens credited to "The Rev", the magazines' resident grow-hound said that a side by side test showed that some strains just don't like CMH light. ( The strain wasn't named. )

Though details were scant, he evidently used an organic soil mix with identical clones under "several different light sources".

Given that so much of the current home-grown gene-pool was bred indoors, under halides and HPS, it isn't surprising that some strains are unable to handle the spectrum and UV levels of CMH lighting.

Has anyone tried to run Outdoor strains under CMH?

Could CMH lighting shorten the finish times for Haze variants?

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
maybe elMarcel is on to something. out of 4 plants under a 400w I just found one seed. no sign of nanners or any other seeds. wierd... all plants were clones.

dwarfganja

Ordered couple of weeks ago. Have no idea on the status of my order. Nobody would anwser my email. :chin:

Do a search in your local area for industrial lighting.

Or ( not sure if yer in the states but) I called Home Depot and asked if they carried the bulb knowing they didnt but might be able to help me. Employee told me a local place that might carry them...I didnt even know this place was around. Called and they had 10 in stock.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[update]
I'd say thats a solid guy right there, and while I've no intentions of getting in the middle of anyone's purchase, I think we've a path towards the solution.
A solution to what? I thought this was a forum to discuss the light not a customer service help desk?

W

whatissixbynine

btw - you were the one exposing one for the other. I'll leave this in for you to think about.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Discount upped to $15 off from $10 off from 2x as many lamps as you've ordered in the past year. I'll definitely be taking advantage of this offer.

khysanth

Hey everyone,

I'm planning my first grow and have already set my mind on a 400w horizontal CMH, specifically this one:

http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm

I don't have any experience yet, so I was hoping someone could link me to a ballast, hood, and cooltube that would work with/fit this bulb?

Was reading through the beginning pages of the thread until I realized they were 2+ years old, haha!

edit: Just saw that there are ballast kits also for sale on the same page I linked for the lamp. Anyone have experience/advice concerning those? Are they good or should I avoid them for another brand?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can find a good deal at htg supply.
The kits will require that you have a box to mount the works in, and a bit of know-how to get it wired up. Plenty of help here if you want to tackle it though. DIY is quite fun and rewarding. Other than wanting to do that, opt for a kit ready to go. 400watt magnetic HPS ballast, and you are ready to rock with the CMH.

dwarfganja

Hey everyone,

I'm planning my first grow and have already set my mind on a 400w horizontal CMH, specifically this one:

http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm

I don't have any experience yet, so I was hoping someone could link me to a ballast, hood, and cooltube that would work with/fit this bulb?

Was reading through the beginning pages of the thread until I realized they were 2+ years old, haha!

edit: Just saw that there are ballast kits also for sale on the same page I linked for the lamp. Anyone have experience/advice concerning those? Are they good or should I avoid them for another brand?

Im currently running CMH. With this bulb I am not sure you will need a cooltube. They dont burn that hot compared to HPS or MH....I dont see temps being an issue.

Here is my setup:
Powerhouse 400W HPS Ballast
Daystar Reflector with Cord Set

C

coxswain

Looks like my lamp was shipped finally. Sorry for polluting this otherwise awesome thread.

:tiphat:

khysanth

Im currently running CMH. With this bulb I am not sure you will need a cooltube. They dont burn that hot compared to HPS or MH....I dont see temps being an issue.

Here is my setup:
Powerhouse 400W HPS Ballast
Daystar Reflector with Cord Set

Really? I'll be using it in a 2'x2'x5' tent so I thought a cooltube might be necessary in that confined space.

Also, is there some sort of megathread here about the DIY ballasts if I decide to do a kit? Looking to save as much money as possible, so how much would all of the necessary components cost after purchasing a kit for ~$50?

BakedBeans

I bought my 400watt bulb and bare GE ballast kit off Ebay for around $115 I think. Included a lamp socket, but I bought the aluminum reflector from HTG which already includes the socket.

I am almost done mounting it on a piece of wood (stood off with included brackets) and wiring it. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics up.

Going in an RV shower, 30.5 x 24 x 77, should be interesting to see how well it will ventilate. :)

bb

dwarfganja

Really? I'll be using it in a 2'x2'x5' tent so I thought a cooltube might be necessary in that confined space.

Also, is there some sort of megathread here about the DIY ballasts if I decide to do a kit? Looking to save as much money as possible, so how much would all of the necessary components cost after purchasing a kit for ~$50?

Don't know much about tents....but I run it in a 6x2x6.5 area that's insulated pretty well with no heat problems.
Also have a wind tunnel ocsilating tower fan that keeps room circulating air so?

Pretty sure you will find its cooler running that you think.

When I first used I had more of a problem with brightness than heat. Plants turned down fast when I first turned it on. Really couldn't keep it that close to the canopy.