What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

taureauchien

i've got a question...hopefully someone has done this, and can give an experienced reply.
obviously cmh only goes to 400w
i've been considering a hood like the growzilla where you can put
2 bulbs in the same hood.
sooooo would that make like 800w each hood coming down onto the plants?
and if so, would that give us the intensity that all of us have been asking for this whole thread about a 600w or 1000w bulb.
400w is nice but i dont get the size yields i was hoping for.
800w i'm sure would damn near do it, if i'm figuring this right.
800w cmh = bigger and better plants, and still without the heat issues of a 1000w bulb....although i'd still be sucking the hot air out.
whatcha think?

simba? am i correct?

just wanted to bump this since i never got a reply

SSLcloner

Just finished Building my 150w Philips mastercolor 942 cmh rig. Made an aircooled version of the octagonal reflector in pontiacs DIY links thread.

edit: just took some pics and got some weird striping. Is my cmh operating funny? or maybe its standing waves?

the space is 22" x 19", temps are holding a steady 85F 3" below the hood @ the wall after 3 hrs of operation.
IMAG0027.jpg
IMAG0026.jpg

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree...the penetration of the horz bulbs would not change, only the foot print they cover. That isn't to say that your yield wouldn't be as much as the 1000 might produce if your grow was laid out accordingly.
The 1000 penetrates more vertically and the two 400's will give you more horizontal coverage.
In my mind,I can do more with the larger horizontal footprint.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
just wanted to bump this since i never got a reply

I wouldnt really recomend 2 400s at full power to try to match what a 600 or 1k did. rather id space them over the area to work take from the inv sqr laqw..
another option would be 1, 400 anda 250 in same hood.
again i would rather space them hout however if you had reflector or space issues its option.

Sorry been busy busy.. and i dont want any one ever to say i kept the thread alive so going MIA every so often

Due to the cooler nature of the 400w cmh couldn't he just move the lights closer and get similar penetration to the 1000?
i completely agree.. (forgot SN now but there was a few colas growing into reflectors on this thread)

Oh the specialux. ya they cool for a minute.. kinda work..

(Soft Start, Time Delay DIY) *kw Lighting Controller
Not advertising or pushing who i like..
there will be plans shortly for all of us..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Atb3XGYh08

taureauchien

ok, thanks for the replies.
i'll just stay with the way i have them now.
this saved me money from going out and buying a growzilla hood :tiphat: thank you!

W

whiterasta

I just completed a dual foci vented parabolic hood that will be running 1K HPS and .4K CMH last night and am beginning the second today I am taking pics and will post the room build, from ventilated ballast shelf , remote ignitors and dual bulb ventilated parabolics. System is designed on a budget and is capable of running CMH and HPS separate or together. 2.8K over 48ft2 for 58.3W/Ft2 . ventilating an old school parabolic makes it run cool enough to touch the ceramic mogul fixture w/o burn and really keeps things cooler than A/C. I am excited by the expected performance of 1k of penetration and .4K of spectral goodness for my next round.
WR

DaftBud

I really hate asking potentially stupid questions, but I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to any of this electrical stuff.

If I were to buy a 400w HPS flood light/security light and gut it to remote ballast, would I be able to use a 400w CMH bulb in it?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I were to buy a 400w HPS flood light/security light and gut it to remote ballast, would I be able to use a 400w CMH bulb in it?
Yes, if the ballast is magnetic and has the number S51 in the ANSI code.

W

whiterasta

I outline in this thread
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=162817

A complete from the ground up build of ballast shelf for a 2.8 K HPS and CMH system hand made dual foci parabolic hoods with ventilation and remote ignitor wiring.System covers 6x8 on light rails moving 4' and can be run as just HPS or just CMH or both I am adding a second timer and plug to the system to stagger my light hrs but am well pleased with the quality of ight from the combination
WR:tiphat:

Dethclock

400w Phillips CMH

400w Phillips CMH

Who has the best price on the 400w Phillips CMH(horizontal)-is $53+$10 shipping from AdvancedLighting the best deal out there?Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Latest posts