What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

jgrow

Should is use 2x150 cmh or 1x250 cmh for a small sog style perpetual grow? Im thinking if i use two lights i can stagger their heights for taller plants. what do you think

onegreenday

Veteran
I mentioned the CMH bulb to Tradewinds distributor
and they don't even know that it's a grow lamp.
They seem to be behind the curve on this one.

I can say with certainty that the CMH produces
med's of equal or superior potency to Hortilux HPS.

The buds are looser and there is a reduction in plant yield
but the quality of the med's is unquestioned.

It's right there. Very nice quality.

fishxsauce

HPMH High Pressure Metal Halide???? Full Spectrum???

HPMH High Pressure Metal Halide???? Full Spectrum???

Hi all,

I've been reading up on this thread since early this year. I just love the responses. I will be trying one of these soon. But as I was researching, I did run across this:

http://www.sunpulselamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=15

It's called HPMH or high pressured metal halide. Basically an HPS and MH bulb in one. They claim to have a full spectrum and have a CRI close to the sun. Just like the CMH. I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, feedback, or experiences with this. Simba, Hoosierdaddy? anyone?

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
cdmspd.jpg
I just wanted to say, dont be fooled by these pseudo-scientific graphs.
companies try to get away with not labeling the axes of graphs so they can distort the graph. notice the y axis label is Relative Energy, no units, so the scale is arbitrary.

I run a retro 400w mh myself (not cmh) its a 'powerplant' brand. if i could get em in a philips or something i would, but this powerplant one is all i can get, they are a bit hard to start if you dont let the ballast cool off for at least a few hours other than that, they are great, keeping my plants so much more compact than a hps, much shorter internodes....

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Ezra,
if this where a Horti lamp i would agree with you 100% however as These lamps are speced for commercial use the spd is not skewed..
if it where they would be speced once and never again..
(in horti world lies sell, in commercial lies sell once and never again._)
there is a Break down in each NM range from one of our IC members that does not post in this thread and his data Very closely matchs that of the chart..

as far as SunPulse HPMH lamps all they are is a pulse start Metal Halide...(there fibs have turned me off of them to the point of no return..)

they dont have the lumen maint of CMH nor the SPD.. they are a Marketing Gimic (that company touts the Philips Integrated 25 W 3k par lamp as a veg/seedling lamp.. UHM NO its got chit for blue vs 3k.. (shows they fib/sell what makes $$)

I just wanted to say, dont be fooled by these pseudo-scientific graphs.
companies try to get away with not labeling the axes of graphs so they can distort the graph. notice the y axis label is Relative Energy, no units, so the scale is arbitrary.

I run a retro 400w mh myself (not cmh) its a 'powerplant' brand. if i could get em in a philips or something i would, but this powerplant one is all i can get, they are a bit hard to start if you dont let the ballast cool off for at least a few hours other than that, they are great, keeping my plants so much more compact than a hps, much shorter internodes....

Glad to see you still going strong Simba, and to see the CMH thread still thriving.

One Green Day, I have to disagree with you respectfully sir, I've grown Purple Urkel, Blue Dot and Lavender under a 400W CMH Philips Retro-White, and all three strains had incredible levels of density to the buds.

I kept my light within six inches of the canopy, without an air cooled hood, using simply an economy wing reflector, I had no incidents of burn, none what so ever. I would imagine, air/water cooled you could get this bulb within an inch of the canopy using a lens without an issue.

I have to note all of this was on a grow where I over watered horrifically, and so the massive density of the buds is surprising to me and a testament to CMH in my humble opinion.

I'm got a White Russian grow coming up under the 400W CMH, and while I do not believe my grow is worthy of a journal at this stage in my green thumbed evolution, I will however be happy to come back to this thread upon completion in three months, and show you the density I've spoken of here.

That's all for now, I'll probably be back to check the thread in a few months (like to check up just to see if the situation with digital ballasts has changed, and or bulb news)

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
simba, my queston is what is the uv-b output of this bulb. ive asked this same question on so many fourms and have NEVER got an answer...im thinking that the uv-b out put is affecting the end product and as such would like to know. I love this bulb and have never used it...though i am VERY interested...any help would be appreciated...thanx

I know you didn't ask me but yours is a good question and if you don't mind me answering in his place, I would like to say that by US fed law, only those lamps designed specifically to emit UV (reptile lights, FS medical lamps, etc.) are allowed to have any serious UV radiation. All other lamps manufactured and/or sold here are required to coat the glass to virtually eliminate UV irradiation. I emailed Phillips a couple of times and even called them about how far outside the published SPD did the lamp go. Yep, got the run-around and just gave up on it. So, it may give off some UVA but it will be negligble, but no UVB.

Hope this helps.

Namaste, mess

amoril

The area under the curves should integrate to the same number and they clearly don't. The curves are scaled to favor one companies product.

exactly. dont be fooled by the graphs!

if they were the same "nature" of lamp, then this would be true.

the lamps however are not directly transferable with one another, from a data perspective.

just because the wattages are nominally the same, the lumens output are substantially different, indicative of both variable light outputs and other forms of energy release, not documented in the graph (ie, heat).

that said, the graphs between any two non-comparable bulbs will definately integrate to a different value. We wouldnt expect a 400w metal halide to integrate equivalently to a 400w HPS...because there are other variables.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess I am just ignorant, because I don't see it as clearly as you guys do.
I see two graphs with the very same axes. And we are comparing spectrum color, and not necessarily energy output, yes?
I just don't see how those graphs are pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. If it is an obvious thing, please just let me be ignorant, but I don't see the obvious in this as you guys seem to. Please explain to me a bit more what you are saying here....
Perhaps use the graphs and explain this thing bit by bit, for me and others who may be getting fed bullshit.

If we put up a MH against the HPS, would we not also be seeing a difference in the spectrum?
Are we going to also say that we can't really compare the light spectrum of the two because we haven't taken other things into account, such as the heat energy they both put off?

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Gotta' love the sunshine of the CMH. I'm getting set to do a custom cabinet project and wish I could use one. It will be my first grow program in years without the CMH systems...

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I know you didn't ask me but yours is a good question and if you don't mind me answering in his place, I would like to say that by US fed law, only those lamps designed specifically to emit UV (reptile lights, FS medical lamps, etc.) are allowed to have any serious UV radiation. All other lamps manufactured and/or sold here are required to coat the glass to virtually eliminate UV irradiation. I emailed Phillips a couple of times and even called them about how far outside the published SPD did the lamp go. Yep, got the run-around and just gave up on it. So, it may give off some UVA but it will be negligble, but no UVB.

Hope this helps.

Namaste, mess

I got burns on my knuckles; from rotating my two plants under a 400 CMH bulb. This takes about 45 seconds per day. It must be putting out UV something....and it is rated for open fixtures?...go figure?

exactly. dont be fooled by the graphs!

you guys are focused on the wrong section of the graph. As stated above, they should not integrate, one is HPS one is CMH. That's essentially the same twisted/faulty logic the idiots railing against LEDGirls new lights use. It's a different light with different qualities and properties, as such, despite these lights being "equivalent" in strength/power/intensity, they are qualitatively different and therefore you should not expect to be able to integrate the curves.

Additionally, in this case, while the "y" axis is important, the main focus should be the x-axis cuz what we're really lookin at/concerned with in this case is the spectrum, and actually, unlike the LED forum, we're really not all that interested in either axis because the anecdotal evidence, my own experiential evidence, and the various grow journals can all attest to CMH being superior to either HPS or MH. The graphs make sense and are not being used to mask or hide anything.

Calling things pseudo-scientific has become chic, and in this case it's simply not correct to do so...:dueling:

simba, my queston is what is the uv-b output of this bulb. ive asked this same question on so many fourms and have NEVER got an answer...im thinking that the uv-b out put is affecting the end product and as such would like to know. I love this bulb and have never used it...though i am VERY interested...any help would be appreciated...thanx

Hope this helps.

Namaste, mess

Not really true, there are intense UV rays associated with CMH...check the CMH bulb box about UV issues with the light. My phillips has several warnings about the UV intensity of the light and you can definitely feel the UV rays on your skin. The box and website both recommend covering your body when working close to CMH bulbs, please be careful, you can injure your skin with these lights and it would be foolish to do so merely because someone on a forum assured you it was safe...:wallbash:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
...Not really true, there are intense UV rays associated with CMH...check the CMH bulb box about UV issues with the light. My phillips has several warnings about the UV intensity of the light and you can definitely feel the UV rays on your skin. The box and website both recommend covering your body when working close to CMH bulbs, please be careful, you can injure your skin with these lights and it would be foolish to do so merely because someone on a forum assured you it was safe...:wallbash:

I went to the effdeea's website and you can read the full text below. Evidently fed law requires them to put the warning on the label of any Mg vapor or MH lamp manufactured after 1980. The bold print is my emphasis.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 21, Volume 8]
[Revised as of April 1, 2009]
[CITE: 21CFR1040.30]
See Related Information on 1040.30 in CDRH databases

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER J--RADIOLOGICAL HEALTH

PART 1040 -- PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR LIGHT-EMITTING PRODUCTS
Sec. 1040.30 High-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamps.

(a)Applicability. The provisions of this section apply to any high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp that is designed, intended, or promoted for illumination purposes and is manufactured or assembled after March 7, 1980, except as described in paragraph (d)(1)(ii) of this section.

(b)Definitions. (1)High-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp means any lamp including any "mercury vapor" and "metal halide" lamp, with the exception of the tungsten filament self-ballasted mercury vapor lamp, incorporating a high-pressure arc discharge tube that has a fill consisting primarily of mercury and that is contained within an outer envelope.

(2)Advertisement means any catalog, specification sheet, price list, and any other descriptive or commercial brochure and literature, including videotape and film, pertaining to high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamps.

(3)Packaging means any lamp carton, outer wrapping, or other means of containment that is intended for the storage, shipment, or display of a high-intensity mercury vapor lamp and is intended to identify the contents or recommend its use.

(4)Outer envelope means the lamp element, usually glass, surrounding a high-pressure arc discharge tube, that, when intact, attenuates the emission of shortwave ultraviolet radiation.

(5)Shortwave ultraviolet radiation means ultraviolet radiation with wavelengths shorter than 320 nanometers.

(6)Cumulative operating time means the sum of the times during which electric current passes through the high-pressure arc discharge.

(7)Self-extinguishing lamp means a high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp that is intended to comply with the requirements of paragraph (d)(1) of this section as applicable.

(8)Reference ballast is an inductive reactor designed to have the operating characteristics as listed in Section 7 in the American National Standard Specifications for High-Intensity Discharge Lamp Reference Ballasts (ANSI C82.5-1977)1or its equivalent.

(c)General requirements for all lamps. (1) Each high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp shall:

(i) Meet the requirements of either paragraph (d) or paragraph (e) of this section; and

(ii) Be permanently labeled or marked in such a manner that the name of the manufacturer and the month and year of manufacture of the lamp can be determined on an intact lamp and after the outer envelope of the lamp is broken or removed. The name of the manufacturer and month and year of manufacture may be expressed in code or symbols, provided the manufacturer has previously supplied the Director, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, with the key to the code or symbols and the location of the coded information or symbols on the lamp.

(2) In lieu of permanently affixing or inscribing tags or labels on the product as required by 1010.2(b) and 1010.3(a) of this chapter, the manufacturer of any high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp may permanently affix or inscribe such required tags or labels on the lamp packaging uniquely associated with the applicable lamp.

(d)Requirements for self-extinguishing lamps --(1)Maximum cumulative operating time. (i) Each self-extinguishing lamp manufactured after March 7, 1980 shall cease operation within a cumulative operating time not to exceed 15 minutes following complete breakage or removal of the outer envelope (with the exception of fragments extending 50 millimeters or less from the base shell); and

(ii) Each self-extinguishing lamp manufactured after September 7, 1981, shall cease operation within a cumulative operating time not to exceed 15 minutes following breakage or removal of at least 3 square centimeters of contiguous surface of the outer envelope.

(2)Lamp labeling. Each self-extinguishing lamp shall be clearly marked with the letter "T" on the outer envelope and on another part of the lamp in such a manner that it is visible after the outer envelope of the lamp is broken or removed.

(3)Lamp packaging. Lamp packaging for each self-extinguishing lamp shall clearly and prominently display:

(i) The letter "T"; and

(ii) The words "This lamp should self-extinguish within 15 minutes after the outer envelope is broken or punctured. If such damage occurs, TURN OFF AND REMOVE LAMP to avoid possible injury from hazardous shortwave ultraviolet radiation."

(e)Requirements for lamps that are not self-extinguishing lamps --(1)Lamp labeling. Any high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp that does not comply with paragraph (d)(1) of this section shall be clearly and legibly marked with the letter "R" on the outer envelope and on another part of the lamp in such a manner that it is visible after the outer envelope of the lamp is broken or removed.

(2)Lamp packaging. Lamp packaging for each high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp that does not comply with paragraph (d)(1) of this section shall clearly and prominently display:

(i) The letter "R"; and

(ii) The words "WARNING: This lamp can cause serious skin burn and eye inflammation from shortwave ultraviolet radiation if outer envelope of the lamp is broken or punctured. Do not use where people will remain for more than a few minutes unless adequate shielding or other safety precautions are used. Lamps that will automatically extinguish when the outer envelope is broken or punctured are commercially available."

(3)Lamp advertisement. Advertising for any high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp that does not comply with paragraph (d)(1) of this section shall prominently display the following wording: "WARNING: This lamp can cause serious skin burn and eye inflammation from shortwave ultraviolet radiation if outer envelope of the lamp is broken or punctured. Do not use where people will remain for more than a few minutes unless adequate shielding or other safety precautions are used. Lamps that will automatically extinguish when the outer envelope is broken or punctured are commercially available."

(f)Test conditions. Any high-intensity mercury vapor discharge lamp under test for compliance with the requirements set forth in paragraph (d)(1) of this section shall be started and operated under the following conditions as applicable:

(1) Lamp voltage, current, and orientation shall be those indicated or recommended by the manufacturer for operation of the intact lamp.

(2) The lamp shall be operated on a reference ballast.

(3) The lamp shall be started in air that has a temperature of 25 +/-5 deg. C. Heating and movement of the air surrounding the lamp shall be that produced by the lamp and ballast alone.

(4) If any test is performed in an enclosure, the enclosure shall be not less than 0.227 cubic meter (8 cubic feet).

(5) Any lamp designed to be operated only in a specific fixture or luminaire that the lamp manufacturer supplies or specifies shall be tested in that fixture or luminaire. Any other lamp shall be tested with no reflector or other surrounding material.

1Copies are available from American National Standards Institute, 1430 Broadway, New York, NY 10018.

[44 FR 52195, Sept. 7, 1979, as amended at 53 FR 11254, Apr. 6, 1988]
Snozzleberry, I thank you and Pinball Wizard for the heads up, as I was operating under a generalized understanding of applicable fed law. As I said in my previous post, I tried several times to get some kind of information from Phillips only to get the run-around. But, it obviously emits some UVA down to 320nm, and evidently more than I had imagined. But, the glass envelope is "attenuated" for emitance at 320nm and below. Although, UVA can still burn someone, that may be more closely associated with the individual, as I have tended my plants while under two 250's from several minutes to as much as an hour or more with no noticeable effect. Still, I think the real question is just how much total UV and specifically how much UVB, if any, it really does emit and until Phillips grows a pair and tells us, we are still, essentially, operating in the dark (no pun intended).

Thank you again, gentlemen!

Namaste, mess