What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

simba

Sleeping Dragon
most high HH has known about the pricing for a over a year.
infact started selling Philips CMH after he found out how bad LL was Hosing him.and after I told him bout Philips CMH and asked him bout LL..
And now he hosing his cust.. LOL ya some jacked up pricing.. in niche markets..
I hope he cool to ya.. (most in the industry dont like me cause i out them on there lies, as long as the growers get the real info)

ya what they said bout lumen.. FORGET LUMENS THEY MEAN DIRT>> to plants

And lets say even a 1kw CMH vs 4 400 CMH the 4 400 would do better because of INV SQR LAW of light.. ya it would use 200 more watts but even if you took them out..

also a 1kw in 5x5 your going to have to hang pretty high for heat and inv sqr law of light kills allot of energy at thatpoint then you plants on the edge are going to yeild chit vs middle.. goes deeper but i dont like 1kw unless in 15' greenhouse
Think of it this way..
a body builder eating gruel.(HPS). He aint gonna have ne mussel.. Skrauny chit..
same guy now Eating Everything Needed for Growth and life.. (IE CMH) he now big boy

another example of cmh outdoing hps..
buddy grows with a 39 watt CMH and usto grow with 70 watt hps and she now gets better yeild and better quality product.> (conisour grade Herb IMPHO) I should state the reason for the large Wattage difference is because the 39 has allot more efficient reflector using the same area as the 70HPS and its reflector)

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
oh this deserves its own post..

NO MYLAR WITH CMH OR ANY LAMP>> ITS CRAP>>
(Mylar is speculare reflection and we want and neeed DIFUSE Reflection
CMH NEEDS WHITE WALLS OR PANDA POLLY

ya MostH i agree LEDS is where i got most my advance lighting knowlage..
BUt that was from designing Emergency Vehicle Waring Lights (ya Light bars)
you learn about all aspects of light.. even more than i knew when starting..
goes super deep into lighting.. Even surpasses The knowlage and basics of People in lighting for 20+ years

8bitNES

simba, could you go into further detail about specular reflection vs diffusive reflection? I understand that mylar and flat white reflect light differently but don't really understand what that means concerning the spectrum of light that gets reflected. If you could explain the differences and why we want one over the other, that would be of great help.

You've been a big reason I've started to post on this board after a couple years hiatus.

8bit

MostHigh

Do you have a mag-lite? Put it on it's tightest beam...that's mylar. Put it on its widest beam...thats white paint.
Mylar will make goofed up bright spots on its surface, with no telling which way its reflecting. White paint doesn't allow that effect, instead, that bright spot becomes a bright smudge....same amount of light, but dispersed over a greater area of the surface.

8bitNES

But what if you have mylar flattened against a flat surface? I would assume mylar reflects most of the original spectrum it receives but what about flat white paint? What happens to the spectrum reflected off of paint?

Thanks for the reply.
8bit

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
8bitNES said:
But what if you have mylar flattened against a flat surface? I would assume mylar reflects most of the original spectrum it receives but what about flat white paint? What happens to the spectrum reflected off of paint?

Thanks for the reply.
8bit
Worse thing about mylar, it reflects the heat too; flat white paint, not so much.

MostHigh

Most characteristeics of Mylar fall under 'worse thing about...'
It's a hassle of a product...easily crinks, folds, bulges...finger prints, smudges...can't mist foliar spray anywhere near it...prolly ruin it taking it down to clean and re-use for later.
Mylar...another not worth it product that indoor-growdum jumped on just because it was there and someone marketed someone who made someone else believe that that over-priced hassle of a material was essential to a good grow.
I'll take a bucket of flat white paint over film and foils anyday.
I do happen to have a sheet of Silver Lightite Diamond Diffusion Foil by http://www.easy-grow.co.uk/products.html ... It's sturdy, thick compared to Mylar, isn't prone to wrinkles or crinks, doesn't smudge, blocks lights, easy up, easy down....roll it up, fold it up, doesn't matter...the material has a memory and undoes a folded crease soon as its flattened.
The pattern diffuses light in everywhich way. It's loaded with lil pyramids pressed into the material, light hits one 'diamond', then bounces to the next, then so on and so on.
I prefer white paint, the sheet was gifted to me...I use it to fashion DIY CFL reflectors. Very muchly suited for DIY reflectors being as its not flimsy fragile material with an entirely way too low melting/deformity point as is found with Mylar.

MostHigh

Image compression leaves much out of the picture. Here though is what the surface of easy-grow's diamond material looks like...
92320_.jpg

MoleMcHenry

First off - this is a great thread. I love the idea of a single light for vegging and flowering. I am thinking about getting a 150 watt CMH, but can't find any store that sells them. I went to the advanced lighting site, and they only put information up about 150's, they don't actually have buy buttons on their site. Is there another online store that sells 150 watt cmh bulbs for my horizontal floralux hps ballast?

chimei

So Simba, since you seem to understand lights in general at a pretty technical level. Is there any reason that Philips would change this model light if a horticulture version of this bulb was released by them? Like make the current model give less overall coverage of the full light spectrum? By changing the glass properties or whatever would effect the UV levels and light spectrum. So it would not be inxepensive competition to the Horti version.

It might be a stupid question, I only wanted to know because I would just pick up a few bulbs. I am sure they would be selling this bulb in the local hydro stores for 130.00 if they new about it or there was one with horticulture stamped on the cover.

I could easily see this being a bulb that winds up labeled by stores as being bad because it really is bad for them cashing in on high priced bulbs.

I can't wait to see what a 600 watt one will do. (When that is possible)

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Playing with the new camera

Playing with the new camera

Two white widows under 400 CMH. 4 weeks flowering. So far, so good. I really should finish painting those walls... :bashhead:

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Sorry i was gone.. we had to prepare for a ICE storm and im still Cleaning Up Treas off my house.. and power lines ETC.> DAM (I had to kill my power to my plants the Roof fell in on the CMH (and it didnt blow with water pouring over it.. )
Dont try that at home.. i was lucky i think..

mosthigh coverd it ..
ya take a mag lite or Laser pointer and Shine it on angle from your lamp and see where the dot lands it will be on the ground..

as far as mylar flat on a wall etc.. its like above..
light is Focused where we dont want it..Basicly....

Ill get some pics of Mylar Why nots.. Using Laser pointere and white paint....

Mole you will need a Metal halide pulsed start ballast and heres the lamp u need..

as far as philips reseasing for Horti..
I know adv tech has a few changes they want (if only for horti)
Wants more red less green (in that one spike only) (and working on it) in RD
but nothing we need to be concerned about.. for a while..
the Full spd is great for plants IMPHO plants prefer that nice spread..
as far as changing it so they can legitly demand higher price unfort not.. these things are perfect allready..(and over priced for the market they want any ways LOL)
so we are lucky since few companies are brining at reasonable price

PB Finaly Photos YA!!!!!!!!
LOVELY GIRLS>>

ya stores are going to these allready as customers are demanding them..
Im sure the Big Horti Dist will dismiss this lamp cause even the stores will cut them out cause they will jack the price to hell and back.. *for no reason to..

i will re read the last 2 pages later i have to go get more dam branches off my power lines and cut my BIg ass tree down a bit.. (lloooks like warzone here)

fumancu

MoleMcHenry said:
First off - this is a great thread. I love the idea of a single light for vegging and flowering. I am thinking about getting a 150 watt CMH, but can't find any store that sells them. I went to the advanced lighting site, and they only put information up about 150's, they don't actually have buy buttons on their site. Is there another online store that sells 150 watt cmh bulbs for my horizontal floralux hps ballast?

Try superior growers Not sure about the one our looking for. But they have anything I ever need

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Pinball Wizard said:
Two white widows under 400 CMH. 4 weeks flowering. So far, so good. I really should finish painting those walls... :bashhead:

Damn the cmh makes a huge difference in the photos, worth it for that alone :D

MoleMcHenry

Hi Simba and fumancu - Thanks for the replies.

Simba - No worries about the time lapse. Your winter snow/ice situation is more important. your message says I need a pulsed start lamp and "the lamp u need.." but then there's no link. I'll do a google search for pulse start metal halide to see if that's what you mean.

fumancu - I googled superior growers and came up with this page: http://www.homeharvest.com/replacementbulbmain.htm

I don't think they carry cmh bulbs though.

So if anyone knows an online store to buy 150w cmh bulbs, I'd still greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Mole

Last edited:

MostHigh

Pinball...those plants are looking hella-happy. And reminds me I've got to call the grow shop and see if they're going to get that bulb or not.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I was going to get a lumatek 250, but after hearing all the great reviews and considering the potential cost difference I might be glad I looked into what 8bitNES said in another thread about wanting a CMH.

I grow in soil/soil-less in a 2x2.6x8 closet, would a 250 CMH be a good bet for my situation?

Just got done shoveling 12" of snow and really wished I had better lighting than my floros so I am going to buy something soon either way.

So Simba, two questions before I buy..

1) What ballast, bulb, and reflector would YOU suggest in my situation considering a ~230 budget sealing (less is obviously better if gains are minimal going more expensive)?
2) I have SAD real bad sometimes in the beginning of winter, pot prozac and even floros help... Would spending time near a 250 CMH be better than a 250 straight MH? One would think so based on the spectrograph comparison.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Oh one more thing, whats the best 35w 9007 bulb out there? Seems like a re-based Phillips would be optimal, you should sell those :rasta:

I bought some cheepo ones and was not happy with how they change color and intensity slightly with use... and no they're not those annoying blue ones :nono:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts