What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Any New Harvests..

Hoosier and AZ i totally spaced the pics az showed are the OLD lamps The new ones are still different but not by the Mounting of the arc tube..
As soon as i can find the pic on adv techs site i will post it hear..

rasputen said:
WoW ! Great thread.

I am still back at page 20 in reading.....but I want to share some info.

Back at OG I got turned on to these wonderfull CMH 400W lights and rather than be skeptical , I just ordered 2 of them.

This was in March 2004 and CMH lights were way so new!!
I ordered and recieved 2 Philips 400W/Verticle lamps and neither would fire on my S51 ballasts.

I did a thread at the time , and the lamps that did not fire looked like this:
Not in circuit: Dud1

In circuit: Dud2

In circuit: Dud3

Notice the EXTREME darkness around the ends of Dud1 !!!!
I think I bought the first bulbs from (edit 1000)Bulbs dot Com but not positive.
Anyway I went through the rigImaroll of email exchanges with the rep and after inventing a story about having a softball field (was noiding big time)
and having complaints about the "yeller" light.

Anyway, the rep finally sent me the replacement bulbs and they looked like THIS:

Notice the darkended ends ! The old bulbs had the dark over 90% of the lamp,
the new ones were great and fired up first time.

Now the only problem was: in 2004 the only CMH bulbs Philips made in 400W were Base UP/Verticle rated !!!! I took the chance and burned them in Horozontal SuperSun AC hoods w/tempered glass.
Long story short: I grew two years + with those V style bulbs and all they did was reduce in output gradually just like any other HID.

The moral of this story is : CMH bulbs absoluty ROCK!!! I have used them 12/12 exclusively for over 4 years and it is almost like indoor Hawaii (It is alledged that any MJ grown outdoors in Hawaii morphs into super dank !!!).
The Newer H versions seem brighter, but thats all I buy now so I can't compare the V to H.

Now I'll be the first to admit that I tend to hyperbolize a "bit".... but the truth is there for those that seek it.

I don't post much.... but some may rember my OG dayz when I did some strange electrical experiments with measuring the EC of a growing plant with a meter and also the EC of the dirt. Just playing around. Also had a thread called "Cut a Hole in my Wall : Secret Garden" that was very popular.

Anyway, I just sayin'......Just get 1 400W CMH and try it in an S51 ballast and that will show you a whole new world.

Internode spacing like MH only better, Chrystal production like the SUN,
And dank sweet stone and flavors that can be coaxed out with the correct other factors (organic nutes ...ect)

Summation = CMH ROCKS and so cheap every "kid" on EVERY block should be using them!!!!!

*<8O)>----rasputen
I remember that thread on OG.

C

CTSV

simba said:
Any New Harvests..
These have been cut!

51923DSCN2469.JPG

51923DSCN2470.JPG

51923DSCN2475.JPG

51923DSCN2476.JPG

51923DSCN2477.JPG

ricard0

Beautiful flowers CTSV. Great pics as well. Can't wait to see some dried/cured macro shots. :joint:

Last edited:
C

CTSV

Thanks!

Here is one of my favorite close ups of some Double Strawberry Diesel, I sjust finished.

The 400w CMH I have on a mover in my Veg lab is kicking some major ass!

Last edited:

ricard0

Heeey. Those look like my cups. I must've left them @ your place. LOL
That DSD looks like sum GAD (good ass dank) ha ha.

I wish i had a decent camera. I love the progression shots, moving closer/further with each shot for that spacial effect.

I just got my 1st 400w CMH but it'll be a while before i can use it. I have a brand new 400w core/coil hps ballast i got from HTG. I was wondering if there is a cord length restriction from the ballast to the light. I seem to remember reading somewhere in this thread that there was a maximum length restriction of 6'. I couldn't find the post, anyone know anything about this or am i just talking out my stoned ass?

ricard0

CTSV said:
The close ups are made using a Bionicam. They are about 20 bucks on amazon.com, and yes, it's a toy.
:joint:

Well i'll be. I'd seen those gizmo's before but never thought of using it for pot shots. I think i'm gonna have to get me one of those. Ha ha....... yeah.
:laughing:

Thanx for the link. :yes:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Forgive the "double" post. I just posted this to my Diary and, using a 250CMH and an EyeClops, it seems apropos here ....

My EyeClops came today. Definitely not an Apple product.

Packaging is abysmal but, who buys a product for the box? Five batteries? It's the old hot dog trick. AA Batteries are sold in even number packs. Why not 4 or 6? A single 9 volt? Focusing is clumsy, especially in the 200-400 range but, easier in the more useful 100 range. Lacking any sort of filter, I imagine trichs will easily transfer to the lens requiring cleaning.

On the other hand it was $20. I paid 3 times that for a 32MB thumb drive some years ago and this $20 included both a thumb drive AND a camera! As much as I hate power bricks, it's a good idea here, keeping weight out of the hand unit. The pictures allow for direct comparisons that a simple magnifier can't. I can share trich shots that were unobtainable with the RS Scope.

While it's far from the most impressive purchase I've made, what it does for what it cost is OK. I doubt I'd be as happy at the original $80 pricetag.

My first few shots, all at 100X

........ EDIT ........
Removed the following "I got 6 shots before the batteries went dead (Note package recommends NOT using rechargeables as I did. It's possible they weren't fully charged. I'll try again later when I can get into the cab.)"

With just filled rechargeables, I snapped 22 shots (plus focusing time) and I'm now officially bored with the "how many shots to empty the batteries" test. Seems rechargeables are fine provided they've actually been charged.

Maggie

Q's for Simba

Q's for Simba

Simba,

1. Is Phillips committed to keeping the 400W CMH in production for the long term?

2. I'm going to start using a CMH bulb in the vertical position. Are there any known health risks to either eyes or skin? If yes (to eyes), will wearing regular sunglasses be enough to allow me to (safely) work in the grow room for extended periods?

3. Has Phillips indicated a PAR rating for the 400W bulb?

Thanks,

Maggie

cmh 1000

cmh 1000

life lite tech has released 1000 watt cmh bulbs, they range from 3K to 10K. About $100. i got mine from Horizon Hydroponics in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The color from the 3K i am running now looks more like natural sunlight than any other bulb i have ever used.
obw

i got the dual ballast with mine..and they are from sunpulse in vancouver washington phone 360 735 7426 sunpulselamps.com. they are functional with hps ballasts. i misstated lifelite before they are sunpulse bulbs, sorry for any confusion with that
obw

ricard0

FreezerBoy said:
Forgive the "double" post. I just posted this to my Diary and, using a 250CMH and an EyeClops, it seems apropos here ....

My EyeClops came today. Definitely not an Apple product.

Thanx for the review on the EyeClops. I just ordered one myself.

Great first shots with it FreezerBoy.

Champ call horizon hydroponics at 616-791-1664 in the afternoon. they are in michigan in the central time zone and they open at 11am. they can fill you in and get them for you. they are similar to phillips in that they are ceramic metal bulbs but a little variance in that they have 4 or 5 bulbs that vary in k temperatures. they are available from 3K to 10K. the 10K is used the last weeks of flowering to max out resin production as it is heavy with ultra violet emission. if you wanted to get just one bulb for all around use get the 3K or 5K which is classified as full spectrum. yes they run cooler than hps or regular mh bulbs
obw

oldbongwater, can you post a picture of the bulb and packaging?
Are you sure it is not a pulse start halide, sunpulse does not list a 1000cmh.

Last edited: