What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Speaking from experience growing the same strain outdoors and indoors using HPS and MH, each seem to produce a different end result. Outdoor plants seem to be leafier than indoor. I don't know if this is due to the full natural spectrum from the sun or other variables, but this does seem to be consistantly the case. With the HPS indoors I get big buds that are full and do not contain nearly as much leaf as outdoors. MH seem to always produce smaller buds, but more dense than HPS and about on par with outdoors, but still much less leaf than outdoors. I have not used CMH bulbs so I can't say much about them, but it would seem logical that if they are closer to the suns spectrum the above experience I wrote about should hold true.

As I said I know nothing about CMH and I am going by just what I have experienced in the past and relating it to what I know about CHM, so I could be completely off. Just adding a few thoughts to the debate. I would love to get a few of these bulbs and see how well they do with a side by side grow against HPS. Regardless of the outcome I am sure there is a place for these bulbs as there are a lot of benefits to them as I have read.

Just a few thoughts from someone who has no experience with CMH.

TGT

haze12421

Simba u still selling your lightbulbs on here man.... jesus christ do you ever give it a rest.....
CMH = more trimming and less sticky icky nice buds... Fluffy airy buds
HPS = sticky icky tight buds and less trimming
Heat factore barely noticeable between CMH and HPS

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have sticky icky buds using CMH. Fat, knuckled up sticky icky buds.
I have not seen one fluffy, airy bud yet as a result of that light.
I do not know where you guys are getting this stuff from? Are you repeating what you have heard, or have you used the bulb?

Myself, I just have nearly 2 grows with the light so far, but I can tell you for certain that one plant I have grown under HPS only has much larger, more swollen calyx's than it did with the hps alone. Granted, the wattage was less with the hps, but all of the strains I have growing under the cmh have calyx that are much heartier than what you are trying to pass off. I simply do not see what you are describing, so one of us is either stating facts, with nothing to back it up, or one of us is lying.
Actually, I call double bullshit on the airy, fluffy bud thing., that just aint happening.

Tight, twisted, and dense nugs of goodness. Nothing airy about either of these strains.

Last edited:

Mackawber

Can I switch to a more Powerful light for late flowering

Can I switch to a more Powerful light for late flowering

Would it be OK in late flowering to switch to a more powerful HPS for the last 4 weeks? From 400 watts up to 600.

I just get a funny feeling that would be a cool thing to do. The stretch would be over and it should fatten things up. I mean we are used to fat heavy buds with the HPS so what do we have to lose?

I like my CMH. Leaves like crazy. I'm getting ready to go to flowering so I will stick with the CMH until late flowering. Should be OK, right?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shouldn't hurt a thing to do that.
I mean, you are obviously adding additional light energy with a 600, it only makes sense that it will produce more than the continuing with any 400 would. But I am not so sure.

After seeing what happens to my buds in the last couple weeks of CMH, I would not do what you are contemplating. I am seeing the calyx' swell like nothing before. And swollen calyx means resin production and increased yield.
Leafy is a good thing, I don't care what the naysayers try to convince us of. More leaf means more plant matter, including flower material. Besides, I think folks are mistaking more leaf for fatter leaf. Plants have a certain leaf and bud structuring they take on, and the leaf structure doesn't get changed by this light or any other light, it only may make those leafs (that are there no matter what light) larger and healthier. The light is not causing more leafs to grow.

HairlessCaveApe

hoosierdaddy said:
I have sticky icky buds using CMH. Fat, knuckled up sticky icky buds.
I have not seen one fluffy, airy bud yet as a result of that light.
I do not know where you guys are getting this stuff from? Are you repeating what you have heard, or have you used the bulb?

Myself, I just have nearly 2 grows with the light so far, but I can tell you for certain that one plant I have grown under HPS only has much larger, more swollen calyx's than it did with the hps alone. Granted, the wattage was less with the hps, but all of the strains I have growing under the cmh have calyx that are much heartier than what you are trying to pass off. I simply do not see what you are describing, so one of us is either stating facts, with nothing to back it up, or one of us is lying.
Actually, I call double bullshit on the airy, fluffy bud thing., that just aint happening.

Tight, twisted, and dense nugs of goodness. Nothing airy about either of these strains.

A pictures worth a thousand words. Watcherself HD, Ya dont wanna hurt nobody with them buds!

HairlessCaveApe

I just came back to get the cmh link. I was thinkin tho. Whats beter in my situation? A cmh or a mh conversion bulb? Which would be beter to veg a mom with? I been vegin with flouros but I recently started vegin with an old 400hps. The results sukk. Nothing cut off from her roots easily. I wanted to get a cmh to veg with. My ballast got the proper numbers on it and everything. I was just wonderin wich light would be more conductive to mothering a plant that would provide cuttings every other week. -A cmh or a mh conversion bulb?

Mackawber

I must say, the leaves look the healthiest I've ever seen

I must say, the leaves look the healthiest I've ever seen

The leaf appearence and health using a CMH is extrodinary. My previous runs were using a MH during veg and switching to HPS during flowering. I hated the stretch! CHM is great for veggin and starting flowering, but my jury is still out on flowering. I will let you know what I think.

No question about it, the plants look bushy and internodal lenghts looks short. I will definately use the CHM until late flowering. I've transplanted twice, and I will transplant one last time once the sex of the plants is determined. One thing I've noticed using the 400 is the plants seem to be growing faster then with the MH especially in the last week. I'm on week 5 of veg so next week I will flip the CMH to 12/12 to start flowering. I guess I owe you a picture.

Do you guys LST with the CMH set up? Or do you CMH experienced people shy away from LST?

C

CTSV

"What wattage do your individual bulbs have? How's the life span? Does light quality/output degrade faster?"

4 400s, Light output is unmatched, big fat gnarly naggats

I've been happy with my 250w CMH. My first harvest with that bulb yielded 7.5oz off of two plants, so basically like 0.9gpw. I vegged longer than I should have, though (roughly 4 or 5 weeks from seed, didn't keep track). Produced some great healthy growth and pretty huge buds. Very happy with it.

Anh Bi

I was wondering if those bulbs emit any form of UV.
I wear transition lenses which turn darker when exposed to the sun, or UV to be exact. They don't work inside my car because the windshield actually filters out the UV. I turned my CMH bulb for the first time today and noticed that my lenses started to turn dark, and now have a slight sunburn on my neck.

I have an open fixture reflector, but from what I read, the bulb itself is supposed to filter those harmful UVs?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Anh Bi said:
I was wondering if those bulbs emit any form of UV.
I wear transition lenses which turn darker when exposed to the sun, or UV to be exact. They don't work inside my car because the windshield actually filters out the UV. I turned my CMH bulb for the first time today and noticed that my lenses started to turn dark, and now have a slight sunburn on my neck.

I have an open fixture reflector, but from what I read, the bulb itself is supposed to filter those harmful UVs?

Yes, they do emit UVR (how much...I don't know) and yes the glass of the bulb does block some but not all of it.

Namaste, mess

HairlessCaveApe

So are these lights superior for vegetive growth? Im concerned that these might put out too much red and yellow for my mom. Might this be posible? I need to add a 400 watt light to my veg room and Im tryin to decide between cmh and a mh conversion bulb for my 400watt hps ballast. I cut 6 clones off of my mom every other week. Wich bulb would be beter to run on my 400 watt hps ballast for my situation, the cmh or the mh conversion? I found that my hps bulb purps up my petoles and causes stress sighns on my mom, and everything I cut off her now takes almost twice as long to root. Wich bulb would be beter for me to remidey my situation with, the cmh or the mh conversion?

HairlessCaveApe

I dunno. I found a mh conversion for 60$ and I think Im just gonna get that. Its familiar. I think Im just gonna stik with the good old tried and true mh for veg.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
HairlessCaveApe said:
I dunno. I found a mh conversion for 60$ and I think Im just gonna get that. Its familiar. I think Im just gonna stik with the good old tried and true mh for veg.

Personally, I think the CMH would be better, but, I don't think you can go wrong either way. If it makes you feel more comfortable to use the MH, then do what is right for you.

Namaste, mess

HairlessCaveApe

I just dont know what the differance is between the effects of usin a cmh and a mh conversion. I just dont wanna mess my mom up. Im a bit woried that the cmh may have too much red in it for her. It would be used only over her. The rest of the room would get a bit of the ambiance but the light would be over her exclusively. I just wanna know wich bulb is the better one for promotin many healthy happy easy rootin cuttings from my mom. The cmh or the mh conversion. Dont the conversion bulbs have less red and yellow inem? Would the cmh still be the beter bulb for my purpose even with the added reds and yellows? Anybody got ant pinions on this?

Last edited:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
You don't have to know the technical details to understand the gist of what the article has to say.

"Effect of Light Quality on Cannabinoid Content of Cannabaceae," Mahlberg
http://www.beckleyfoundation.org/bib/doc/crl/Cannabis_the_plant/Mahlberg_1983.pdf

Besides, it has been hundreds of millions of years that plants have survived, and thrived, under a "full spectrum light." You won't mess up your mom by vegging under a CMH bulb as, in my estimation, the CMH is a better light than MH for vegging and better than HPS for flowering. Still, if you are that uncertain of the quality of light, by all means, go with the MH. It did the job it was asked to do well before the CMH came along and will do the job still. But, to be honest, I don't see a prosperous future for MH because of the CMH. I hope this was of some help. Good luck!

Namaste, mess

Edit: Please don't take this as an insult, but, the link below is a bit of a read, so you might want to save it and read it a little more indepth later. It will help to put things in a bit better perspective.

Plant Development and Physiology – U. of Saskatchewan, CA
http://www.usask.ca/biology/110/wei/plant_dev-phys.pdf

mess

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
YA IMPHO CMH is the way to go for veg transition or flower.. dont require MH or HPS..
CMH is the only one providing FULL SPD>>

vindiesel

Veteran
i will never use or never have used anything but CMH. thx simba. lush ass vegetation and sick buds for a 250. not too hot either.

Latest posts

Latest posts