What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

raygun

raygun said:
Hello everybody,
Well I think that I am finally going to pick up a CMH. I was thinking of going with 2x100 watters to suppliment my 400 watt HPS. I am growing in a cab similar to a c-13 (2x3x6 aprox dimensions) Currently I have 2 150 CFL's that i use for supplimental blue spectrum.

I have 2 questions:
Those of you whom use the 100's is the heat out put similar to what a 150 CFL puts out? If so I will have no issues keeping the cab cool if they throw more heat it may be an issue.
My other question is can some one direct me to how i can purchase just one of the super HPS V2 that are listed on the Advance Tech website? They show a case is 25 bulbs but I only need 1. I though that Simba had put a link to where we could get them individualy but going back over 135+ pages to find that is going to be a nightmare. I have been following this thread from basically day one and I do believe that he mentioned somthing about that. I have already pm'd him but don't know if or when he will be back on the boards.

Thanks in advance!
Safe Growing
~raygun~

just did not want my ? to get burried behind a GPW squabble... :dueling:

Anyone?

BlindDate

Veteran
Look, I don't think anyone is stupid, but I'll try to explain as simply as possible.

1. OF COURSE the proper amount of veg time is going to yield better than the improper amount. So for anyone who posted examples of a longer veg that yielded better than a shorter one I say congratulations. You now know how to optimize the veg part of the grow.

2. We all strive to tune our grow to the best of our abilities, whether it be lighting, nutrients, environment, etc. In the end the ONLY measure we have of our success is gpw or grams per square foot assuming lighting is optimal.

3. Adding the TIME factor:
This is the whole reason why SOG yields more over time vs tree growing. Less veg time. For the purpose of evaluating the effectiveness of a light it means nothing.

4. My original question was "has anyone broken a gpw with this CMH light"? Now yes, yes, yes, I know that because of all the different styles and strains and veg times and all of the above reasons gpw will vary greatly, BUT, it is generally believed that a gram per watt under ANY and ALL scenarios is considered a significant benchmark. Therefore IF a significant number of people report getting over a gpw we can pretty much determine that this light is doing something. Either that or someone with a dual light table stick a CMH on one side.

Toob

got my 400w ballast kits in from htgsupply today and one of them is missing the ignitor :(. emailed the owner hopefully he can get me one soon.

Also, both ballasts came with different capacitors.... one is a 400v.AC50/60hz while the other says 300v.AC 50/60hz, does this seem ok?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Are you sure you didn't get an MH ballast by mistake? Can you find an ANSI code? S51 is HPS. M59 is MH.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
raygun said:
Hello everybody,
Well I think that I am finally going to pick up a CMH. I was thinking of going with 2x100 watters to suppliment my 400 watt HPS. I am growing in a cab similar to a c-13 (2x3x6 aprox dimensions) Currently I have 2 150 CFL's that i use for supplimental blue spectrum.

I have 2 questions:
Those of you whom use the 100's is the heat out put similar to what a 150 CFL puts out? If so I will have no issues keeping the cab cool if they throw more heat it may be an issue.
My other question is can some one direct me to how i can purchase just one of the super HPS V2 that are listed on the Advance Tech website? They show a case is 25 bulbs but I only need 1. I though that Simba had put a link to where we could get them individualy but going back over 135+ pages to find that is going to be a nightmare. I have been following this thread from basically day one and I do believe that he mentioned somthing about that. I have already pm'd him but don't know if or when he will be back on the boards.

Thanks in advance!
Safe Growing
~raygun~

I'm really sorry, man. But for the first question, I haven't a clue. As for the second, I think that that is the link you use to buy the one bulb. Just make sure it is about $55-$70 per bulb (depending on wattage) is all you're paying. I don't know why they do that, but, I have seen a LOT of other retailers do the same. :confused:

Namaste, mess

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Gram, i agree with you. but i would almost put watt per sq foot in there to. super short version.and ya its for internal judging (same grow area & Setup, etc)

ray gun.. adv tech doesnt sell Super HPS or HPS to the Horti Market. since they are Profit devices not Growing devices..
im sure the reason they have that page still is for the customers under the warranty.. when the last customers warranty is up im sure that page will be GONE>
id be upset if i got something and then during warranty the page was gone.. id be like what happens now.. ya know..
as far as the qty per case but no price or link.. Adv Tech is primarily a Lighting Distributor they do retail (us) aswell

100 watt cmhs put out no heat compared to a 125 watt cfl. the cfl is huge heat pump the cmh is small source extremely easy to keep cool to the TOUCH>>
GET PROTECTED

as far as funky ballasts.. HTG usto be great IMPHO. in the past year more Chinese and Issues arising.. but he will fix it im sure, hes and older cool guy...
different caps those are OK>> just the one cant be used on 408+V
sounds like the MFR doesn't care about specif actions at all.. just toss in what is in somewhat close to spec not whats actually speced..
Sorry i get pissed when i hear companies and Mfr's are screwing people out of there hard earned money..
.they should be checking and even pre burning all lighting products before shipping AdvTech does.. why wouldn't them..

sorry i have been away but checking in.. i tried to go a few pages to let it grow on its own.. so oz doesn't chime in and say im this threads lifesupport.. LOL>>

Last edited by a moderator:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Its on the delivery truck as I type....it will be here soon. Yah!

minds_I

edit: Its here...I feel like a schoolboy with a new slingshot!

EDIT2: Its bright..the startup is an intersting lightshow-blues greens...cool.

Last edited:

Toob

yeah I just spoke with the guy from htg on the phone. was very nice and helpful, they're sending me an ignitor today and he clarified that the capacitors will be fine as simba stated :) time to wire these puppies up, i'll post pics of my setup as soon as it's done.

edit: freezerboy you were right haha they sent me a MH ballast.

Last edited:

raygun

Thank you Simba! I for sure am going to pick up the 100watt CMH for sure now! maybe even jump up the wattage to the 150's that will give me a total of 700 watts, 400 HPS + 300 CMH :muahaha: :bigeye:

I guess I will just have to find another outlet for the 400 Watt HPS.
Messin thanks for the advice on price as well.

Once i get it all up and running I'll have a grow show going.
Save Growing every one

paperchaser825

Hello everyone. Great stuff here. Was wondering which size lamp you guys would recommend out of the 250w and the 400w MasterColor for a cabinet that is 2'x2'x4'7''. The cab is well ventilated and I plan to use an air cooled hood.

:rasta:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Toob said:
edit: freezerboy you were right haha they sent me a MH ballast.
I win, I win :woohoo: uhh ... what do I win?

paperchaser825 said:
Hello everyone. Great stuff here. Was wondering which size lamp you guys would recommend out of the 250w and the 400w MasterColor for a cabinet that is 2'x2'x4'7''. The cab is well ventilated and I plan to use an air cooled hood.

I use a 250 in a 22x29x54 inch freezer. A 400 would be pushing it but, with an enclosed hood and a good fan, I think it's do-able. Run through these and see what others have tried in similar situations

Mills Pride Club
The 400 Watt Club
fan-intake calculator

FB

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
As a point of information for me, if one were to (for whatever reason) opt to use a MH bulb in place of a corresponding CMH, would one have to buy a MH bulb made specifically for a pulse start ballast rather than a "regular" MH bulb?

Namaste, mess

HairlessCaveApe

I got 3 old 400watt hps ballasts. I usta usem to flower with but now Im runnin 600's. I started usin one ofem in my veg room and I really dont like what it dose to my mom. -So I could just go an get me onna them cmh's and screw it rite into my sokkit? That would be great! I got a Cooper ballast Im usin in my veg room now. Will a cmh work with that?

paperchaser825

paperchaser825 said:

Anyone else have any idea if I can pull this off with a 172cfm vortex fan?

wygram

With a scrubber that cfm would get knocked down considerably... I've got a 400 over a 2x2 area, but it's in a 4x4x9 closet... there's 6 in ducting all the way to a 4 in dayton and it has great flow... with an attached scrubber it will definitely begin to reach the upper bounds of perfect with low 70s ambient temp air flying in around the cracks of the door.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Paperchase, it really depends on yoru ambient temperatures but I would go with a 250 for that space. IMHO.

minds_I

paperchaser825

minds_I said:
Hello all,

Paperchase, it really depends on yoru ambient temperatures but I would go with a 250 for that space. IMHO.

minds_I

Ambient temps will be around 72 degrees as it takes air from the rooms a/c.

Thanks for the input also Wygram.

Latest posts

Latest posts