What's new

Census taker just stopped by the house

grow2bfree

Met the census taker in the yard. Told him the number of people that lived here, and the rest is none of their business. Sent him down the road.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
As I was leaving my house yesterday, I spotted a large black woman standing on the corner near my place. She was on the phone, holding a clipboard and looking pretty bewildered. I thought "I bet she's the Census lady". Sure enough there was a "Hey We Missed You" notice jammed into my door when I got home. I expect her back tomorrow and will speak with her through a slightly cracked open window.

"One person lives here. That's all Im required to tell you. Thank you. Respect my propertah and go away!"

Devil'sGardener

I came home from work on a friday evening,got the sorry we missed you please call us card,and while i was enjoying my saturday morning wake and bake "BAM" census worker at the door bright an early,only good thing was it was a bright warm morning and she had a great set of lungs on her.so if nothing else atleast it was quick and stimulating. they should have a miss census worker pageant, wouldn't that be the shiznit

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah like was said before if you have reason to fear visitors you best send it in and be done with it.

but i do find it interesting that everyone keeps saying how it's not a big deal and the info is 100% private. well i ask you, what about the Japanese Americans who got put into concentration camps, it's well known that census info was used to compile those lists for the camps. as far as my stoner memory remembers there are a few other examples too that can be found via google of census info being abused.

just saying, governments in general are not very trustworthy, they will bend and break or out right change the rules when it suits them to do so.

beejium

slightly off topic here....
look at 9-11 they changed many privacy laws and started harassing people including myself over last names. i still have problems with security at airports and schools.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
two people came to my house. i didnt let them in, but i did the census cause it is weird not too. also it is pretty harmelss. I want some sore of record that I existed when I'm dead other than debt. lol

Vermonster

these are PT workers getting paid dick to run around collecting data, doubt they care about your herb they just wana check a box and get home.....unless you get a go getter type, but odds are low, they have found homes in the milarty and fire depts......

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Hi, I'm from the government and I'd like to get your information after I finish raping your disabled daughter."

Census Worker Charged With Raping Disabled Woman

A man employed by the Census Bureau has been charged with raping a disabled woman.

Investigators said a woman called Salem police at 4:30 a.m. Saturday and said a man entered her home and sexually assaulted her 21-year-old disabled daughter.
Obviously there are bad apples in every group, but this strikes me as pretty fucked up.

Send in you Census or pay the price, eh?

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Oddly, the census worker that I posted about above never returned. I was all ready for her to be at my door bright and early the next day but no such luck. Did they give up on me? Did I win?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
BunnyBlaze 2. EVERYTHING a census worker talks to you about or sees is private. They aren't even allowed to share the information with other governmental entities. (google "title 13) 3. Census workers said:
there have been several arrests because of what census workers saw/heard/smelled. a retired ex-pig (once an oink, always an oink. but i'm willing to be persuaded that i'm wrong. good luck...) has gotten several people arrested by calling in to LEO after visits to peoples houses. the govt. is NOT your friend; some of these "census workers" NEED to end up under someones stairwells. it is NOT just them. meter readers, postal workers, gas meter readers, ALL of them get bonuses for turning in "enemies of the state". not all of them stoop low enough to do so, but the carrot is dangling...

S

sparkjumper

First I get a letter saying the census is coming and its important to fill it out.Then I get a second letter a little more threatening talking about legal implications and such.I wait and wait,no census arrives.A few days after the due date I make a call and do the census over the phone.Then the next day the actual census comes in the mail.I did it and mailed it in to be doubly sure.Yesterday the census guy comes.God i thought I'd be pissed but what the hell,it was just some old guy trying to make a buck.I told him the story and we both laughed.I didn't embellish a thing all that shit actually happened.

northernlightss

there have been several arrests because of what census workers saw/heard/smelled. a retired ex-pig (once an oink, always an oink. but i'm willing to be persuaded that i'm wrong. good luck...) has gotten several people arrested by calling in to LEO after visits to peoples houses. the govt. is NOT your friend; some of these "census workers" NEED to end up under someones stairwells. it is NOT just them. meter readers, postal workers, gas meter readers, ALL of them get bonuses for turning in "enemies of the state". not all of them stoop low enough to do so, but the carrot is dangling...

Hold on there, a Census enumerator is a part time temporary federal employee, zero benefits, a two month assignment, and if your lucky 40 hrs a week. No bonuses for turning in anybody for anything!

Hell there is no overtime available for those people, they were just smart enough to take a 25 question test, and accept the $13.25/hr job walking around your own neighborhood. They have forms to check off approx. 10 questions about who lives there, they want that done the first time they visit and to never knock on your door again. After all the people doors they're knocking on are generally the ignorant that do not know what the census is for and refused to mail in the form and avoid a personal visit.

If your a douche and don't give them info, expect them to come three times, try to call three times if they get contact info for you from public records, or if all that fails they will simply get your info from your neighbors. Make them go away the first time by answering the questions, there simple, and only really need the number of people living on premise 04/01/2010, everything else is just gravy. Because today race matters, many federal programs for african americans and latinos depend on Census data.

There just people trying to get paid during the hard economic times, and they got screwed with an 8 week job, one of which is training. Just like anybody else you anger them by making their job harder. There more likely to call the cops about the garage that looks like jesus is going to step out of it, or the 1000 watt Hydrofarm ballast sitting outside with cords running to/from it, BOTH of which I have encountered in the past when working for them in 2000. I went on my merry way and hoped they cleaned up there act.

Point being if you want to avoid a visit you should have mailed in your form, the Census is in the Constitution. But either way they aren't out there trying to find people breaking the law, and just want to fill out the questionnaire. 5 Mins is all it takes to keep them from coming back, or even better call the number on the Notice of Visit they left and do it all on the phone, which they PREFER. Keeps them from coming back, helpful for both parties.

northernlightss

First I get a letter saying the census is coming and its important to fill it out.Then I get a second letter a little more threatening talking about legal implications and such.I wait and wait,no census arrives.A few days after the due date I make a call and do the census over the phone.Then the next day the actual census comes in the mail.I did it and mailed it in to be doubly sure.Yesterday the census guy comes.God i thought I'd be pissed but what the hell,it was just some old guy trying to make a buck.I told him the story and we both laughed.I didn't embellish a thing all that shit actually happened.

Thanks for being a good person. That dude is just trying to make a living. Can't help the people organizing the data at the top are a little slow to correct things at field level when people send in forms late, or call in info, somebody should have crossed your name out of that old guys list before he got to your door. But the crew leaders are temporary workers that are overworked so things get over looked.