What's new

CBD PREVENTS COVID INFECTIONS

therevverend

Veteran
Very surprised I didn't hear this one sooner.

This is the official United States' Institute of Health's website saying this, it's not fringe tabloid news. I'm flabbergasted. The bad news is that THC doesn't work, and if you combine THC and CBD it doesn't work. Has to be straight CBD. Too bad for me...

pjlive

This is the official United States' Institute of Health's website saying this, it's not fringe tabloid news. I'm flabbergasted. The bad news is that THC doesn't work, and if you combine THC and CBD it doesn't work. Has to be straight CBD. Too bad for me...
Tested right at the cellular level, too. Impressive. Thanks for the pointer!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

CBD does contain some anti-viral components. TBS, good to know but I'm not taking it to the bank :)

goingrey

hm, like how?

The original article is paper at the bottom of that site... But basically low purity (either other counteractive contents or actual CBD content as low as 0.3%), not enough CBD reaching the infected tissues from orally administrable products, and concerns about lung damage from smokable/vapeable products.

Although many CBD and CBD-containing products are available on the market, they vary vastly in quality, CBD content, and their pharmacokinetic properties after oral administration, which are mostly unknown. CBD is quite hydrophobic and forms large micellar structures that are trapped and broken down in the liver, thereby limiting the amount of drug available to other tissues after oral administration. Inactive carriers and formulation adjuvants have a significant impact on clinically obtainable concentrations. As CBD is widely sold as a preparation in an edible oil, we analyzed flavored commercial hemp oils and found a CBD content of only 0.30% in a representative sample (fig. S22). The purity of CBD and the chemical composition of the materials labeled as CBD are also important, especially in light of our findings suggesting that other cannabinoids such as THC might act to counter CBD antiviral efficacy. This essentially eliminates the feasibility of marijuana serving as an effective source of antiviral CBD, in addition to issues related to its legal status. Last, other means of CBD administration such as vaping and smoking raise additional concerns about potential lung damage.

Petrochemical

It didn’t work for me being consistently and thoroughly saturated with THC over the last several years I still got Covid and it was horrible it forced me to get sober
I need you to get yourself some of that Vermont Elderberry syrup we sell over here and keep it in your house you ever have an issue like that again put that f****** Elderberry to it I don't give a f*** with any doctor tells you they're not your best friend when it comes to the flu I got you.

I don't want people like you that are close to me and my neighbors to ever experience the s*** you went through again so if I can give you a suggestion and avoid you experiencing that again well here I am

Petrochemical

And I encourage all of you to embrace the power of Elderberry when it comes to the flu virus oh, I'm sure there's a lot more Avenues in rabbit holes we could go down with various different plants that are growing that could be used in various ways to treat us that have just been buried by big Pharma so that they can make a profit off of us slamming us with acetaminophen and various other chemicals

And lets face it...tv dinners could not be beat back in the day.........lmao this ones kinda tough

G.O. Joe

Veteran
If CBD prevented infection, then none of the CBD takers would have been infected. This was not the case. Epileptic kids on CBD were slightly less likely to have been tested positive than those not on CBD. Fine. But epileptic kids on CBD do not represent other population groups. Were the epileptic kids on CBD more, or less likely than the epileptic kids not on CBD to have been tested? (go to the hospital, get tested first thing - don't go to the hospital, don't get tested) Such fundamental logic questions go unanswered.

How are 80 mg/kg intraperitoneal injections in mice relevant to humans? Why would the authors choose this? They don't try to find what happens under normal conditions. Why show that huge amounts of CBD in the blood have an effect on individual cells if you can show that something happens when normal people living normal lives take affordable doses of CBD orally or by inhalation? Why couldn't they do the latter instead? Because scientists don't get paid to say that all that money resulted in nothing?

H e d g e

our findings suggesting that other cannabinoids such as THC might act to counter CBD antiviral efficacy
The word ‘might’ will be there for a reason.
The reason will be that they couldn’t prove what they were paid to find.

You might have to smoke a wheelbarrow of cannatonic to believe what you read in the news, but a couple of tokes on anything medicinal would counter propaganda efficacy.

Last edited:

goingrey

The word ‘might’ will be there for a reason.
The reason will be that they couldn’t prove what they were paid to find.

You’d have to smoke a wheelbarrow of cannatonic to believe what you read in the news, but a couple of tokes on anything medicinal might counter propaganda efficacy.
No, their results did support the theory:

CBD is often consumed as part of a C. sativa extract, particularly in combination with psychoactive THC enriched in marijuana plants. We therefore determined whether congeneric cannabinoids, especially analogs with closely related structures and polarities produced by the hemp plant, are also capable of inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 infection. Of this group, only CBD was a potent agent, while no or very limited antiviral activity was exhibited by these structurally closely related congeners that share biosynthesis pathways and form the biogenetically determined residual complexity of CBD purified from C. sativa: THC, cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), cannabidivarin (CBDV), cannabichromene (CBC), or cannabigerol (CBG) (Fig. 2, A and D; see Materials and Methods). None of these cannabinoids were toxic to the A549-ACE2 cells in the dose range of interest (fig. S2). Notably, combining CBD with THC (1:1) significantly suppressed CBD efficacy, consistent with competitive inhibition by THC.

1660896441826.png

It's not such a wild claim either. It's well accepted that CBD reduces the effects of THC. Totally sensible that it would work the other way around too. Or as they put it, "consistent with competitive inhibition".

H e d g e

Wow! What’s shocking then is that they managed to get funding and approval to study the positive effects of medicinal cannabis (I don’t mean cannatonic), was it grown by NIDA? Because it’s been well established that their buds are not reliable as research material.
Could be they just tested combinations of isolates, which would be very different to testing whole plants.

Last edited:

goingrey

Wow! What’s shocking then is that they managed to get funding and approval to study the positive effects of medicinal cannabis (I don’t mean cannatonic), was it grown by NIDA? Because it’s been well established that their buds are not reliable as research material.
Cannabis research has definitely been held back by prohibition for decades. Seems things are fortunately improving in that regard.

They did not use cannabis grown by NIDA. Methods and materials are explained in the paper.

rolandomota

Veteran
Believing this is like thinking cbd will help cure or prevent malaria. You know what helps with malaria? A vaccine , covid 19? Vaccine don't believe in Vaccines? Look for your vaccination card so you can see how many you have gotten in your life.
fucking polio is coming back and it is no secret why

Latest posts

Latest posts