What's new

Casey Jones Grow Along

dustin27

Veteran
So you used all 9 of your females also? I miss alot of awesome drops but I NEED to get me some Casey Jones ASAP

johnny butt

Hey dustin, I used all 9 females. Some of the seeds are hermie seeds. My CJ 1, which had a great high and smell, but popped a lot of nanners seemed to have her way with the room. I also sprinkled CJ pollen from my 4 males over a cut from each of the ladies.

So, I would guess about half the seeds sent in were from hermie pollen, but the donor was killer smoke. Watch out for nanners, and you should be getting a high percentage of females from the freebies.

I also read h3ad should be restocked by New Years. My CJ freebies should have some winners, but you can't beat the real deal with the full representation of the strain.

You better bet your worst fears will be coming true if you end up getting a pack of legit h3ad casey jones. (Reference to the quote in your sig, selection is inevitable with 14 in a pack!)

johnny butt

Still feeling out the caseys...

This one is sort of a bumper crop featuring 4 random CJ girls before I do a run with my finest 4 ladies to find the winner.

But it gets rather cold down in my room now, and CJ 5 is completely purple. CJ 7 is getting there. They are looking beautiful and will be participating in the keeper grow off :dance013:

Here's the purple CJ 5
picture.php

The two keepers (CJ 7 -- CJ 5)
picture.php

3 caseys (CJ 3 -- CJ 4 -- CJ 7)
picture.php

JB

dustin27

Veteran
damn, that purple looks black in one pic. So donated seeds go to freebies or to server funds? Im not sure how that works...Maybe I'll be able to afford a pack of H3ad when they release.

It surely is hard to select for me; I hate culling strains from my garden even though it may be necessary from time to time. And growing out a new strain; the first run always seems to take much longer than usual.

Your CJ's look great man. Good luck with yours.

johnny butt

She looks black in real life. The pics even downplay her color a bit!

I think my beans should be going to the Freebie pool, but I can't be sure. It's for the cats over at SB to do with as they please.

Thanks dustin :tiphat:

AugustWest

Veteran
very nice man!

Just threw a few of these under the HPS.. so this thread got me all excited.

thanks for sharing :)

johnny butt

Hey AW, I remember you from GC way back in the day. Had to be at least 5 or 6 years ago now, but I can remember you and postman with his dank purple buds, and now I see he's popped back up too. Ganja growin'... :wave:

You will be real happy with the CJ, I'm sure. Feel free to throw up a few shots of your CJ once they are up and going. It is the Grow Along after all, and I need some more CJ buddies!

JB

AugustWest

Veteran
^^

thanks man! yeah i miss those days over there.. shit's changed for sure. I'm digging this place as well.

i'll definately post a few pics once they grow up a bit.. i'm only running 4 CJ's. i gifted 7 of my 14 to a good buddy.. and had germination problems with the other 3 :(

but all i need is one to clone and all is well :D .. cheers dude... and thanks again for the show!!

R3ZNH3AD

looking tasty, keep up the great work... I can't wait to actually post pics of the 20 CJ ladies I have under my Digital 1K's. I've been watching.... I never stoped....

Peace

REZN

johnny butt

looking tasty, keep up the great work... I can't wait to actually post pics of the 20 CJ ladies I have under my Digital 1K's. I've been watching.... I never stoped....

Peace

REZN

Hey man, I was wondering where you vanished off to. I've been waiting on updates on those 20 CJ beans for too long now!!! Hope everything is going well and continues to do so.

Great to hear from you again bro, hopefully you've enjoyed the CJ as much as I have so far :dance013:

Thanks Pablos. I can't wait to start crossing my CJ keeper to some other beans I have up and coming... These were some of the crosses I'm planning atm...

More CJ F2s with my keeper (I still have my favorite male from the pack as well)
CJ x SB male (I have lots of beans to search through for a SB stud from an open pollination, cross him to my keeper CJ)

Maybe these as well

CJ x Magenta99 (I'll use all my Magenta99 (PCK x DTC99) males from DGS when I run her gear this next grow, I like to open pollinate for F2s when I first get them so throwing a CJ clone in the mix is very easy)
CJ x Mikado99 (Same deal, open pollinate with Mikado99 (Mikado x C99) and toss a CJ clone in the mix.)

The sour bubble cross is really what I'm looking forward too. Right now I like to mix the CJ bud and the SB bud together when I smoke, so I can only imagine crossing them would be amazing...

JB

johnny butt

my breeding plane fly so high because of the great genetics :moon:

Thanks man, I look forward to seeing what comes out of it too!! Hopefully I don't get overwhelmed, it's gonna be quite the undertaking trying to keep it straight!

I've thought about building a couple tiny seed making boxes, with a single CFL. Maybe 2 cubic feet with a half dozen plants in beer cups. That should produce plenty of seeds for my needs and keep the rest of the room pollen free. I have plenty of duct fans and pc fans and filters to make a few I do believe, but that's a project for the new year. I should probably do some research on pollen grain sizes and filter sizes too... :chin:

JB

johnny butt

With the 4 CJ phenos I've run for a second time, they've been exposed to the cold temps. ..

Seems to be a correlation between my favorite stinky/funky smell and color. The two smelliest phenos (both keepers) have both gone purple with the cold weather that's set in...

:wave:

johnny butt

Here's the final shots before I take down this second round. Today is day 70, and they've been thrown in a room for 48 hrs dark... Bet you can't guess which spare room it is ;)

The two keepers that will be in the CJ grow off soon... CJ 7 and CJ 5...
picture.php

CJ 5
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CJ 7
picture.php

This girl is CJ 3. Very branchy, round buds concentrated on the ends of the colas. No discernable main stem. Her last round here, as she didn't quite make the cut. Not stinky enough....
picture.php

JB

dachieftan

Hey dustin, I used all 9 females. Some of the seeds are hermie seeds. My CJ 1, which had a great high and smell, but popped a lot of nanners seemed to have her way with the room. I also sprinkled CJ pollen from my 4 males over a cut from each of the ladies.

So, I would guess about half the seeds sent in were from hermie pollen, but the donor was killer smoke. Watch out for nanners, and you should be getting a high percentage of females from the freebies.

I also read h3ad should be restocked by New Years. My CJ freebies should have some winners, but you can't beat the real deal with the full representation of the strain.

You better bet your worst fears will be coming true if you end up getting a pack of legit h3ad casey jones. (Reference to the quote in your sig, selection is inevitable with 14 in a pack!)

did the CJ hermie b/c of environmental issues or is that a trait that this particular strain posseses?

johnny butt

One of the girls hermied and popped a majority of the nanners. That was CJ 1. I think she would pop them regardless of environment conditions.

Some of the rest popped a sack here or there (3 or 4 out of 9), and only when I had to do work in the room when I shouldn't have been. Keep the light leaks down and the temps down and it should be all good. You might see some at the end of flowering, but most of those were all sterile anyways.

Out of the 9 ladies, only one (CJ 1) was discarded due to intersex traits.

confused

One of the girls hermied and popped a majority of the nanners. That was CJ 1. I think she would pop them regardless of environment conditions.

Some of the rest popped a sack here or there (3 or 4 out of 9), and only when I had to do work in the room when I shouldn't have been. Keep the light leaks down and the temps down and it should be all good. You might see some at the end of flowering, but most of those were all sterile anyways.

Out of the 9 ladies, only one (CJ 1) was discarded due to intersex traits.

Great grow johnny.

Your experience with Casey is so similar to mine. I've gone through 3 different packs of Casey all from different releases - from like 2007 onward?. I always got great end product but a nanner or two would always pop up and add a few seeds.

I ended up cloning a good solid female after my third seed pack and have since ran her without hermi issues - looks like what you are up to. The purple casey you just posted looks awesome.

Enjoy that smoke!

johnny butt

Thanks confused!

I prefer the nanner or two, it lets anyone else who scores some of this bud have a chance with a couple of beaners... When I say nanner, I don't mean full blown hermie, but just single pollen sacks. Something like 50 seeds per QP...

Just in case I ever lose my ladies, I will always have backups. I don't see myself every running out of CJ.

I still have my favorite male too, so that's only gonna mean more F2s and crosses :tiphat:

Thanks for stopping by, and remember its the CJ grow along, feel free to post pics of your CJ ladies too!

JB

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread johnny , hope mine do as well , popped six from older stock and have four very indica seedlings at ten days , hopeing for males.

picture.php